Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Great PT report! I think you've got a good attitude--ROM numbers give you some sense of where you are, but are not to be obsessed over.
 
Feeling really good. Stamina and strength are not really diminished at all. Every once in a while I get a twinge in the joint itself, like a tendon or something is snapping over the joint. It's a sharp pain but then goes away just as fast as it came on.

I have found a way to ice all the way around the knee at once. I use the cryo cuff on the back of the knee, use a square ice pack on the top, and I found a ice pack designed for your neck, that I place around my knee like a horseshoe, then use an ace bandage to tie it all together. This makes it nice to get complete coverage, something i wasn't able to achieve before.

The exercises are going well, I can do straight leg raises now, something I couldn't do a few days ago. The leg is straighter, no question. I just have to keep working at it. I do notice that I am really stiff in the morning, like I slept on concrete. I hope that feeling goes away soon.

So far, I am pleased with the outcome. Its a lesson in perseverance to not give up until you find the solution that fits your needs.

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
I feel some very positive vibes here---I like that a lot---and that never give up attitude is a super plus.
A gold star for you, Dawn.
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
 
Hi Dawn

I agree with Judy - some positive vibes coming through!! Your leg looking straighter - how great is that :thumb:. I can remember my knee feeling really stiff in the morning - all normal I guess. My fingers are crossed that your recovery will keep going in this excellent direction.

Thanks for your kind words regarding my Mother - I may take you up on your offer and have a chat ..... thanks Dawn xxx

Keep up the good work and have a restful weekend my friend xxxxx
 
Thanks Judy and Jo,

I really appreciate the kind words. The outcome from this surgery is so different from the first, in every way. Granted it's not the same surgery at all, but it was major nonetheless. I am stunned by how good I feel and the progress on getting my extension back.

I had my second pt session today. On the way in, I stopped at my office to visit for a few minutes. My assistant was floored, she said I was walking much better than I was before the surgery. Then at pt, the therapist was also pleased and said my gait was improved from our first meeting Tuesday. I got on the bike and was able to make smooth rotations around for 5 minutes, then on to the leg press and additional exercise. All went great, she is really pleased. She took a measurement and I was at 4, with no effort all. Again, I don't and won't get caught up in the numbers, but wow, this is amazing!

The one issue I have to work on is the swelling. The knee is very puffy all around, it looks like a beach ball, and it's very squishy. She showed me how to do massage starting near my ankles and gently pushing up towards my groin. With just a few minutes of massage, she measured me at 1 cm less than when she started. I will work on this in addition to all the icing I am doing.

I must say that my outlook and attitude is much improved. I feel like there is actually hope of getting back to some level of normal activity. I have a long way to go, so no celebrations just yet. In the meantime, I will take these good days and relish them!

Jo, hang in there with your Mum, and pm me if you need a friend. I know how tough it is.

Be well my friends!

Dawn
 
Good morning,

Quick update; feeling good, walking well, gaining strength each day. Went out for several errands yesterday and was able to do them with no issues.

My knee is still quite puffy. I am icing and elevating, doing the massage as suggested to help with the swelling. The incision is healing well, and the only thing covering it are steri strips. I am stretching an doing my oh exercises as instructed.

I ave had some quad soreness,which I think came from pt on Friday. We added some exercise that asked a lot of my quad. I will need to do these cautiously.

My other issue now is the calf on my right leg. It is super stiff, painful to the touch. I tried icing it yesterday but didn't help at all. This morning I have heat on it, while I have ice on the TKR leg. I think it's a strained muscle and just needs time.

Next week I will start doing some work from home. This will be the challenge to make sure I am not sitting with legs bent for long periods. It's about routine and making sure I get up, stretch a lot.

Thanks again for the support!

Dawn
 
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
Dawn, you are just doing so well in such a short time. But with all you've been through, you deserve for this to be an fairly easy recovery. Just keep doing what you're doing---and it WILL keep getting better and better. I can see you now
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
, well maybe this is a bit over the top---but you get my meaning.
 
Great report Dawn and I'm not surprised your muscles are a tad sore. I really think it's the muscles rebelling as they get used to being worked in a different way. It will take time but well worth it for you. Keep well xxx
 
Yesterday was an interesting day, with ups and downs. I had pt with the person who will be my regular therapist. She was great, and has the Bonesmart approach down. She said she uses gentle stretching and no aggressive pushing during the first 4-6 weeks, as she said what we all know; aggressive pt can cause swelling, angry knee which is counterproductive to recovery. Why oh why didn't I find her a year ago??

All the steri strips had come off my incision on Sunday night,I took them off because they were itching so bad I couldn't stand it. On Monday morning the area where the strips had been was pretty red and still itching, and there was some weeping, but very little. She was concerned about that and also about the swelling that still is around the joint. It's very puffy, very. She spent some time massaging around the joint to try to move some of the fluid out of the joint. She also used estim to help reduce the swelling as well. She suggested that I find a way to get compression on the joint, not quite as much as a Ted hose, but something to help keep the fluid out of the joint. I need to work on that some.

She also said something I never heard before. She said I need to keep working on my extension and the way to do that is to get into a stretch and hold it there, to get what she called muscle creep. She said we need to train the muscles to stay in the extended position rather than just pushing down on the joint only to have the joint pop right back up to the contracture I have had forever. This makes so much sense to me. She wants me to take it slow and easy, not add anything too strenuous on the joint. The idea is slow, steady, get rid of the swelling and work on the muscle creep. I like where this is going. She gives me hope that I can get and keep the extension I have been missing. She didn't even measure me, but said she could see on the total gym that I was at full extension. Exciting!

Bad news, I had to make an unexpected trip to Boston to deliver a key to my son. He broke his car key off in his trunk lock and was stranded in downtown with no options. This is a 2 1/2 hour trip one way. I drove it myself and it was not fun. I did stop to stretch halfway there and halfway back, but I was very sore and swollen when I got home. My leg felt like concrete and was still sore this morning. With some ice and stretching its better, but I might be paying the price today.

So today, feeling sort of lost. It was a reality check for sure, a reminder that I need to manage my expectations and that I am vulnerable to setbacks, not that this was one, but it can happen.

Keeping the faith,

Dawn
 
Better day today. Had pt at 8am, that was early, even for me! She started with moist heat on the back on the knee and did massage on the top, still very puffy around on the front. This helped loosen me up. Then went to the total gym for leg presses. She measured my flexion at 117, that's the best in more than a year. She said she can see that I am at 0 for extension when I press back up. She said once the swelling goes down I will lose some of the stiff feeling I wake up with each morning. then we worked on my gait. She said I step off my left foot quickly and need to equalize the steps. As I practiced, I could see the improvement immediately. I need to consciously make these adjustments, which I will do.

I feel better today in general. I have to go back to work on Tuesday and I am dreading it to be honest. It's been nice having the time to recover quietly this time. I wish I had just one more week, which would give me that extra time to rest up. Thankfully, the first week back is short, and I have a limited number of appointments scheduled.

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Dawn,
Great report, glad you are making such good progress.:yay: Rest up before you go back to Tuesday, at least it is a short week.:friends:
 
Dawn, I am back from visiting my granddaughters and happy to see your progress. I also had a lot of swelling with this surgery---I have used compression hose for the past two months. It does make a difference. Also, got lymphatic massage, which also helped.

Be careful with that knee--your pt is right, you do not want to do anything which causes pain or extra swelling. I am happy to see your positivie attitude and your progress. Kelly
 
Thanks Kelly, it's good to know that this swelling isn't out of the ordinary. How long did it take before your swelling went down? I have been looking into lymphatic massage in case I need some additional help with it. The pt I am with now is all about slow and easy. I have a feeling she is going to release me fairly soon, once she is sure the extension is obtained. I can work on strength training myself, I just need the guidance to get and keep what I have gained from the surgery.
 
I thought the lymphatic massage person was excellant and it really helped to wear the wrap around in the evening too.

I still have some swelling, but I notice that it is going away now. So, I am 4 months out and just starting to notice the final swelling going away. So, relax, it will be with you for a while, most likely. K
 
Feeling down today, not really due to knee, just life in general. I wish things could be simpler and that the people in my life could appreciate all they have and try to find joy in the little things. But, the only person I can control is me, and I do feel very fortunate in so many ways. Praying for better days and for contentment to find its way to my house.
 
Sorry to hear that, Dawn. We all have good days and not so good days, but know that we will feel better the next. Life is never simple is it? But then I suppose it would be boring if it was. Would pointing out the good things in their lives help your house? Pointing out that if those goods things were taken away they really would have something to moan about.

Try and keep your spirits up, the way that you keep all our spirits up on here :flwrysmile:

Kathy
xx
 
Good morning friends,

My cat Bub, woke me this morning with a wet kiss on my nose, with purring and rubbing get me to pet him. He is the best alarm clock ever! I am so grateful to have him to spend these days with, it helps with outlook and reduces me to looking at the small but good things in my life!

Busy day ahead; conference call with my team at 9am to check in and plan for my return to work on Tuesday. Then see the OS at 11am for a checkup and progress report. I hope he is as pleased as I am. Then lunch with my assistant and pt at 2pm. I will need a nap after all that!

I am not looking forward to going back to work, wish I had just another week to rest. In any case, I will take it at my pace and only focus on what is necessary.

Knee is stiff as usual, have been icing off and on for the couple of hours, sipping my coffee. Will get cleaned up, work on some stretching, then off to my marathon day!

Hoping for a good day! The glass is half full, it always is!!

Dawn
 
Update...appointment with OS and PA went great. Started with PA, he took one look at my knee and was so happy. I propped my heel on the examining table and showed him just how good my extension is, and he was floored. He asked me to hold it right there, left the room and went to get my OS. They came back in, and I said to the OS, "doc, my knee is stuck this way!" my OS practically rushed me and gave me a huge hug!! Then it was high fives and fist bumps all around!! They are both so happy with the results, and so am I. Love these guys, they are the best, and I really appreciate that they care so much. I go back to see them in another month. PA says if I can keep the extension at this point for another month, I should be home free.

Had pt at 2pm. Told her about the appointment and she was equally happy. She started with moist heat behind the knee and did massage on the top of the knee. She thought the swelling had reduced quite a bit from last week and thinks wearing the Ted hose has helped. I agree. She measured the knee and said the circumference had reduced by 5 centimeters in the last week. I will keep working on geting rid of the fluid. We went to the total gym and she measured extension, which was 3 with no effort. Once the swelling is gone, I will be at zero, which she said I basically am at now. Flexion has not changed, still good at 115.

So, good news, great reports, and happy I had this procedure. I told the OS and PA that they gave me my life back. They said I earned my life back because I didn't give up trying to find the solution, and that I had worked really hard to get here.

I still have work to do to maintain this. I am prepared to do what ever it takes to keep the extension. I am just grateful to get to a point that I never thought I could reach.

Be well,

Dawn
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom