Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Dawn, what great news!! This is only the beginning of good things to come.:yay:
 
Thanks guys!

Started looking into some options for getting into a pool. It turns out my small little hospital in town has a therapeutic pool with a fitness class early morning 3 days a week. I am calling tomorrow to get the specifics and check it out one day next week. It's a warm pool and only 2 miles away. It sounds like it will really fit my needs. Fingers crossed!

So, one other thing, kinda funny. I have a client who knows my doc very well. The client told me to tell the doc to take good care of my knee, and made a little joke. On the day of surgery, I meant to mention it to the OS but forgot until after surgery when I was back in my room. When the OS came to my room, I told him what the client said. The OS said, yeah, you told me about it before we put you completely under and started to laugh! Then I thought to myself, oh snap, what else did I say before I was out?? In any case, it has made me smile a few times and when I see the OS next week, maybe he'll tell me what other things I said! Or maybe not!

Have a good one friends,

Dawn
 
Had to drive to Boston yesterday for work, 2 plus hour trip. I made this trip 2 weeks after surgery and it was challenging, and knee was not happy after. This trip was much better. I had the car on cruise control and eased the seat back from the wheel so I could stretch the leg. When I got to my destination, I expected to be pretty stiff, but to my surprise I felt pretty good. This was just another test of my progress and it appears I am actually getting somewhere at last.

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Dawn, I was thinking of you and am glad to hear that you are doing well. I went riding with my group on Thursday for the second time this summer. Rehab, rehab. I warned everyone that since the ride was almost 30 miles long, I might not be able to finish with them and that I would turn back when needed. I still feel out of shape and was really worried.

On the ride there, without thinking of anything, I realized that I was out in front of the group the entire way. I was worried, because, what if I had used up all of my fitness!!! We sat in a park and ate our lunches and rest for 30 minutes then started back. The first thing we had to do was go up a really steep hill that was about 1/2 mile long. But, to my surprise, I sped up it with no thought about it at all. Then, I took off again and reached the destination almost 20 minutes before anyone else from the group showed up. I was tired yes---but hey, I did it. And my knee did not hurt at all!!!

What a relief. That was the first time that I realized I would be skiing this winter. I know how you feel!! YES!! Kelly
 
Wow Kelly, that is amazing! I am so happy for you to actually see you will make it back on the slopes! And of course you will, you have such grit and determination! Your post is very inspiring. Congrats!

I did some recumbent bike time today and hubby noted how good the motion and leg look. I can do it easily and need to add resistance to build muscle now. I see my OS on Friday and can't wait to hear what he has to say. It's been a long time coming with he and I, getting this extension back.

Keep up the good work!

Dawn
 
Dawn you are getting back motion and strength and I can see a new lease on life. I am so very happy to see you finally getting all the things you have needed for so very long. :yay:

It never stops amazing me how we can do "normal things" like walking, and do it without any pain and with ease. Today I walked almost 2 miles on the boardwalk and felt great! There was a time, not long ago, that was a totally impossible task for me.:yes!:
 
Thanks Mimi, agree, it is amazing! How is your daughter doing, been meaning to ask?
 
Thanks for asking, Dawn. She is doing wonderfully well. She sees the Dr. today and he may release her to go to work. She was staying with me last week and progressed each day. She still has some rib pain and her esophagus is still adjusting to what is normal. She needs rest, which is hard for an active 28 year old to understand.Her incision was in her shoulder blade area and they deflated her lung and went through the ribs. That incision was almost invisible last week, 3 weeks after surgery.:happydance:
I am very grateful that this was found and that she found the two incrediable surgeons at Johns Hopkins that did this very rare procedure. They had only seen this 3 times in young women. And each one was an athlete.
 
Quick update; saw my OS yesterday for a follow up visit. He was very happy with my progress, although I get the impression he wishes I was still going to pt. he didn't measure my extension but it's still nearly zero, but did measure flexion at 110. The best I got at pt was 118, and I told him that. He wants to be sure I keep working at increasing rom, which I will do. I just spent 10 minutes on the bike and will be back on it later.

It's been a bad week otherwise. A colleague of mine took his own life on Wednesday. He works in a different office and I don't see him often, but he is part of my group nonetheless. He always seemed like a happy guy, very upbeat, wonderful family, great career, and very supportive of the people around him. He was on a call with me discussing strategy at 8am Wednesday morning, then left the office right after and that was the last that any of us heard from him. He was his typical self during our call, joking around, adding helpful observations...

This is pretty hard for me to cope with. I have had some personal experience with this kind of thing that gives me a unique perspective, and I can't seem to stop thinking about it. All the what ifs. Worrying about his family and knowing what they are having to deal with and wanting to help but feeling helpless. It is a huge tragedy, so sad and what a waste. I just feel lost. Prayers Have been made for all who have been affected, hoping comfort finds us. I trust it will.

So, will try to distract myself, go out in the drizzle, look for some dried hydrangas at the Farmers Market and count my blessings. In the meantime, be well friends, and be kind to yourselves, you deserve it.

Dawn
 
Thanks Janet and Pumpkin, I appreciate the kind words.

I just can't get this off my mind, and wondering if I have the courage to go to the wake on Monday. I really need to chew on this some more, see if my friends are going, and whether I can meet up with them. I am uneasy, and I hate that.

The knee got plenty tired today as I did some retail therapy. I worked it out pretty good. I did get to the Farmers Market and found the hydrangeas, they are gorgeous! Now if I could figure out how to get the picture of them from my phone to my iPad I could show you all. Maybe tomorrow I will get inspired.

For now, it's time to read some of our threads and settle in for the night.

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Dawn, I am so sorry about your colleague. It is hard to know what to do. Just like you and I have/had bad knees, the person you worked with most likely had depression. It is something that is hard to deal with, especially a man. Men don't like to ask for help, they feel weak if they do. So please look at it as he was a very sick man and just didn't show it. It is so sad when someone can't ask for help. About 15 years ago my husband went for help. I was so proud of him for doing that. Tough old farmers usually will never ask for help and the doctor was so good with him. Our marriage was hurting at the time as Dave would put on a front for other people, but when he was home he was so sad and quiet. I am forever thankful that he went for help. Now whenever he hears of someone that is having problems, he seeks them out and talks to them. Not easy, but he feels necessary. If you can gather up some of your other colleagues, try to go to the visitation. The family will appreciate it so much.
 
Dawn,
I'd like to add my voice to the others about how sorry I am about what happened. I know you've had a lot to cope with lately, other than your knees, and this is another sorrow. please know that if you need to talk, we are here for you.
 
Dawn, we can never know the story of a suicide, really. And, some people who have made the decision to kill themselves are then relaxed and happy. We can never know the stresses that he was facing----all you can do is think of his family. I am sure that they will like it if people from his office come to express their sorrow and support to them. If you cannot go to the wake, then a card will be important to his family.

I just attended the funeral of a man who committed suicide this fall. His family was really suffering and I think that people like to have lots of people at the wake and funeral---it is a show of respect. I will sometimes hear---we had 80 people at my father's funeral, for instance.

The sorrows of others often remind us of our own issues---but they are not our sorrows. Don't take this personally---no matter what your history or other issues. This death is about this man and his poor family---nothing else. Kelly
 
Thanks Debbie, Kelly and Jebsw. All good advice and words of wisdom.

Kelly, you are right, this is not about me. I realize there is nothing I could have done, and when someone makes this decision, they go numb, and it happens, as I am told. The challenge for me is a wound opened back up. Something I thought I had a good handle on now is very much back. I will work through it and be fine, that's what I do. In the meantime, I will try to write a letter to his wife and offer my sympathy.

Knee is achy today. I think I will make some Mac and cheese, settle in for comfort food, finish the laundry, and love on my kittie. He is zonked out on his blanket, on his back with his paws in the air. In the next life, I want to come back as a cat!

Thanks friends,

Dawn
 
No, I want to be a dog. My dog laughs---like when I ask him if he would like a walk!! Kelly
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom