Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Hi Debbie,

I really pushed myself to write things down as it came to mind. I let the nurses know I was journaling my experience for myself and my bone smartie friends, then explained. I even took a picture of the drawing the OS did showing how the scar tissue was formed over the bone.

I have been napping off and on all day, resting in between things that are going on. I'm not sure everyone would want to do this, but it is helping me maintain focus a bit.

The good news is that I did get confirmation of what was happening. The lesson is all about persistence to get answers. Never give up.

I wish you much good luck and comfort tomorrow. Go slow and easy, you will be surprised how you feel, both good and bad. Try to stay ahead of things and be your own advocate. I look forward to your posts and progress!

As for me, time to ask for the oxy and settle down for a while.

Dawn
 
Back in the CPM with 10 mg of oxycodone on board, cryocuff full of ice, all is good in the world! Thank you God for seeing me through!
 
Dawn, if you've had a lot of surgery at the back of your knee, remember that's where you need to put the ice!
 
Thanks Jo, I was thinking the same thing, will ask for that right away!!
 
11:30pm and can't sleep, keep getting interrupted, plus other stuff, like nausea, just got meds for that, had to take one IV out as the needle was bent, and cryo cuff needed ice, all pretty much at the same time....it will be better tomorrow, it will.

Jamie, bottomshollow, can one of you change the title of my thread to "my left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful"


Thanks,

Dawn
 
Dawn, I changed your thread for you---looks like two of us were on it at the same time!! Kelly
 
Update:

The early morning was really challenging. Kept dozing off for 45 minutes at time, then up for vitals, etc. I am exhausted. In addition, nausea has come on really quick, haven't been sick yet, trying to stay on top of that.

The pain had been fairly manageable until around 7am, when it seemed to spike to 8. It was just about time for my next dose which I great fully took. I also have the PCA, and have been using that as well. It seems like I get the pain under control for a couple hours and Bam, it spikes. I hope that does not continue. The nausea has caused me to eat very little, a few quackery, a few eggs, nothing major. I remember from last surgery it took me several days to figure it out.

PT and OT came in this morning and got me up on my feet. I was a little woozy but that cleared quick. I transferred to the chair nd sat up for a few hours with my leg extended. PT came back and we worked on the simple things; quad sets, heel slides, ankle pimps, straight leg raises, which I basically can't do, but that is it. I am amazed the my quad is firing. Not perfect, but it is working!

Anxious about eating and getting sick. I need to drink more fluids which it all goes together I guess.

Exhausted, so tired. Just need to rest and string together more thn 30 minutes of sleep.

The PAcame in after lunch and gave me a few more details on the surgery. He said they didn't change the size of the spacer, that I had the smallest one already. They actually got me to hyper extension in the OR, which is great news. He said surgery really gave them both a workout, there was so much scarring. He said he was very encouraged with the end result, not therest is up to the body.

Interesting day so far, will try to snooze some now.

Be well,

Dawn
 
Hi! Dawn, this first week really is the toughest of all, and the next two tax your strength, stamina, and patience----but then the dawn breaks and things begin to look a lot better. But it's tough right now to even think of that I'm sure. You're in our thought and prayers. Take care, keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
 
One year ago today I had my LTKR, 2 days ago I had my revision. The pain was and is much harder to control this time. Very sore up and down the backside of the knee. Filling up the cryocuff to keep the swelling in check. I think the amount of soft tissue work makes a big difference. Last night was really tough, one I hope not to repeat....

More pt and ot later this morn. Will check back in later! Dawn
 
Had my first shower in a few days, awesome! And wearing my own jammies. Its the little things!

Just got back from PT. this woman is good, she knows her craft. Doing the same stuff, quad sets, straight leg raises, heel slides, etc.,she had me go up and down three stairs, which is what I have at home. No rpoblem doing that at all. Using the walker for now, proably switch to crutches later. She did measure me at 13, but not getting into that game. We discussed that I wanted to ice the top and the bottom of the knee, so she sent me back to my room with the good ice packs. That feels great!

Haze is wearing off a bit and waiting for lunch, appetite is coming back slowly.

Be back later,

Dawn
 
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
Dawn your post made me smile for you. Your PT seems like a great gal with good instincts and very caring. That shower was heaven
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
I know along with ditching that stylish hospital gown for your own jammies. Good for you deciding not to get caught up in numbers at this early stage. Enjoy your lunch
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
.


As always, take care, we care.
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
 
Thanks for being along the ride with me Judy, I appreciate it very much!
 
Sounds like things are settling down. I bet it feels great to be in your own jammies. Sounds like your doc took care of the problem and you've got a good PT starting you down the healing road.
 
Thanks Judy and Kneeper, the team here has been terrific. I really feel fortunate.

I am waiting for the OS to show up so he can take off the ace bandage and I can see the incision. I can see a little bit behind the knee and it is bruised like crazy, I will try to get a picture.

I had two sessions of PT today, lots of stretching and more of the basics. The joint is tight, no question about it. I need to stay on the icing and keep the swelling under control. I used the good ice bags after PT so I could actually wrap them around the joint for full coverage, that felt great. Now if I could keep that up all the time!

Unless something goes wrong, looks like I will be going home tomorrow. So far, all signs indicate that will be the case. Good news!

Knee is still painful, but nothing like yesterday,,thank god!

Be well, Dawn
 
Dawn,
Glad to hear today is better than yesterday. Keep up the rest, ice, elevation, and medication.:flwrysmile:
 
Okay, just have to post this, make sure you take stool softeners or prune juice or whatever you do to stay regular. The last hour was no fun, but this too shall pass....sorry, kinda punchy right now!

:dancy:
 
Good morning friends,

8am here, just finished breakfast. I slept in two big blocks last night, one for 3 hours, another for 4, that last one on my side, wow, that was great! I woke up all sweaty, but rested. The first thing to cross my mind was coffee, I really wanted my coffee! The old Dawn is starting to reemerge!

PA or OS will hopefully be along shortly, to look at the knee and give me a go/no go for home. I feel so much better today than yesterday even, so progress is being made. I don't notice any brain drain yet, and haven't tested the stamina, but those days will come, just wait.

Pain is tolerable with oxyco done every 4 hours, 10 mgs. Tylenol for the little headache I have been nursing. Using the walker but can graduate to the crutches today I would think. I don't want to get too ahead of myself but I do feel so much stronger than after the TKR. I know it has everything to do with what was done. I think ski girl mentioned the first couple of days were the worst, and it steadily got better from there. The voice of experience knows her stuff!!

Will check in when I know if I can go home or not.

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Started on crutches with PT, felt great! Stretching will be key going forward, need to keep the extension, again not focusing on the numbers but got to 110 and 10. PT hasn't had Bonesmart training yet, but directed her to the website and she was amazed at all the good details she saw. She gave me the "the first 2 weeks are critical" talk, and in front of hubby no less, and I just smiled and said ok, knowing that there is a lot of time to gain extension and flexion. Now back in my room, had to ask for ice, so knee is wrapped up like a present!

I must say how much more confident I feel having the knowledge gained here from all of you. The empowerment to control certain aspects of recovery is so critical. Before, I was totally subject to the medical team, which is fine, but as we all know, doesn't know everything. I can direct my care in a way that makes sense for me, without seeming like I am bucking the system. It's a gift, no doubt!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Brand new to your story, Dawn. In fact I sat here in the CPM and read all the way from your very first post til today. Ok, I did skim a little ;-). Wow! What a journey you have had.

I just want to tell you that I can already hear the renewed hope in your posts and that you are an inspiration. best wishes in your recovery. I will be following.
 
Back
Top Bottom