Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Hi Cheryl, thatnks for the chuckle, it is a long story!!

I am much more hopeful this time, PA is thrilled with my progress. He said they had to force to get me into hyper extension during surgery, so when swelling goes down and with increased focus on stretching and extension exercises, I feel confident that I can get to where I need to be. He seems relieved which is a good sign, these guys have been with me for 10 plus years and they really care; I believe they are invested in my recovery.

I think I will write up a few observations and suggestions from a patient point of view to help with others who will follow me. It's mostly little stuff, but having more ice packs from PT to wrap around the knee completely, whereas the cryo cuff only covers the front., things like that.

For all my friends, whether you're in the CPM, in bed or in a drug induced haze, stay the course. It will get better, there is almost always a solution. I had to keep asking for and seeking help with this extension problem. I am no where near my finishing line, but feeling so much more like I can see it.

Parole from the hospital has been granted and waiting for hubby to pick me up. My bed and my little kitty Bub are waiting for me!!

Cheers,

Dawn
 
Dawn, I hope this post find you safely at home in your comfy bed with Bub
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
purring beside you. Your post is just an inspiration to those who are having a hard time with recovery--so positive and upbeat. Any observations and suggestions that make recovery better and easier are always welcomed---you never know what little thing will be a BIG help to someone else.


I'll be looking out for your posts as you start a new journey--take care, we care.
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
 
I agree - do write up your ideas. I would be very interested in learning about these ice packs that can go all the way around your knee. Especially now that we are working on extension exercises (like that lovely one where you lie face down on your bed and let your leg hang down, ouch!), I would love to get some ice around there to the back.
 
Dawn, I am so happy to see that this procedure is giving you what you have needed for so long. Good to hear that you can see progress in your future. That is a big change . Hope that all goes well with your recovery.:friends:
 
Good morning,

Got a solid 10 hours of sleep. Woke up several times as hubby was flopping around, but fell right back asleep. Feel very rested! Had my first cup of good coffee, it tasted great!

I decided to try getting around the house without crutches and I can do it easily. I am going slow, heel toe, and concentrating on pushing that knee back as I step. My strength is decent, although quad weakness is very evident. I will work on that issue as soon as I get the swelling under control. The swelling will take time. I am using my cryo cuff and also ice pack I bought from PT last year. I will need to either make more of my own or go buy a couple more. I want to be sure I have ice both on top and below the knee since there was so much work done in the back.

I can feel the leg is much straighter, in particular standing at the sink. I am hopeful that I can maintain what was gained through this procedure. Pain isn't anywhere near as bad as I anticipated at this stage. I will take the pain meds as prescribed and stay ahead of things. Bruising is all over the joint, I did take pictures to upload. I will try getting those up a little later.

This morning my son brought over his kitten Little and his dog Otis. They will hang out with me for the day, while I watch movies and generally be lazy!

Mimi, thanks for the kind words. I think this may be the solution I have been looking for. I appreciate your note! Please update me on your daughter and how things are going there. I pray she is improving, your family has been in my thoughts daily.

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Dawn, so good to hear you are improving daily and this has lifted your spirits too.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers for my daughter too. Her surgery was postponed the night before because the thoracic surgeon had a family emergency and was called out of town. It takes the aortic and thoracic surgeons to do the surgery. So instead of the surgery she went to work. Boy were they shocked to see her. Now to gear up for this again on Aug. 30.
 
Wow Mimi, that had to be a huge disappointment for all of you. You psyche yourself up to face the challenge and then boom, change of plans.

Please keep me posted and I will keep you all in my thoughts.
Dawn
 
Good morning,

Slept fairly well, woke up at 3 am for a bathroom break and pain meds, then again at 7 am same thing. When I first get up, my knee, thigh and calf muscle are all tight, with that pins and needles feeling all over. Once I get moving, this stops pretty quickly.

Did my quad sets, lunges, and hamstring stretches in a couple of different ways, now sitting with ice in the recliner. I am using the cryocuff with my ice packs, strapping the cryocuff under the knee and my pliable ice pack on the top of the joint, this works great to get ice almost all the way around the knee at once. I am icing my calf and quad as well. This feels so good.

The joint is still quite swollen, even with all the icing I have been doing. The bruises from the release are all over the back of the knee, from mid calf to mid thigh. I can feel the extension is much better. The flexion is not as good but that will improve as swelling goes down.

I start PT on Tuesday. Not sure what to expect since this will be someone new. I will not under any circumstances let them hurt me, not ever again.

Stamina and energy is pretty good. I feel like the worst of the brain drain is over, but it's still too early to tell. Because I feel good, I need to still take it easy and not overdo.

Off to get a shower and really start the day. Hoping to go for a ride and change the scenery. It's supposed to be nice day here, 76 and sunny!

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
it's all sounding really good, Dawn. And as long as you behave yourself, you shouldn't have any real problems. You stick to your guns about not allowing PT to cause you pain. You know the mantra, and you know it works. So just stick to it! Have a nice outing!
 
Update: slept about the same as night before last. My body seems to know its time for pan meds. Did some basic stretching, need to do more and keep the movement going. I want to make sure I keep what extension I have gained, and gentle stretching should help with that. Still pretty swollen, so more ice and elevate time today. I think a nap this afternoon sounds like a good idea.

Be well friends!
 
Doin' good!!! Keep up the great recovery.
 
Update: had my first pt session today. She was great, she understands that pushing to the point of pain only causes more swelling which helps lay down more scar tissue, her words! She won't be my regular person, but if this is any indication of what is to come, then I found my place!

It's been one week since the revision and feeling pretty good. During PT, initial measurement was 10 and 85, but after some stretching, 5 and 90. I am thrilled. I am not going to get caught up in the numbers game, but...this was good news. We did regular exercises, got on the leg press and the bike. I was able to go all the way around!! I did 5 minutes. This makes me so happy, it felt good to get the leg moving. She said I need to slowly build up my strength and keep working on the quad. She said since I haven't been using it properly, that it doesn't know how to respond when I ask it to perform. I will have a lot of work ahead to keep what I have gained , but I am up to the challenge.

I have another session scheduled for Friday and then three more next week. I pray things keep going in the right direction.

I will try to keep my feet on the ground and not get too excited, but so far,this has gone as best asi could have hoped.

Thanks for being out there friends!

Dawn
 
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
An upper of an update, Dawn! Your ROM is looking good and will only get better as time goes along. And it's wonderful that the PT sings our song which is music to my ears. (Oh, that was bad, wasn't it?) Just don't get carried away with yourself. ((Hugs))
 
Dawn,
Thanks for the update, positive news about your knee, and finding a PT that matches what you need. Slow and easy for recovery is best.
 
Hi Dawn

WOW, I have been out of action for a month or so and you have been busy!!! I wish I had been here for you my friend as you were always here for me. I am so pleased you are over the worse and now well and truly into the recovery. You are doing so well and it all sounds good so far. I am really hoping that you have success this time and your leg is lovely and straight. Your OS sounds super and spot on :thumb: . Your positive attitude is really shining through in your posts. Keep up the good work.

Sending you a big hug xxxx
 
Thanks Judy, Chris and Jo, it is nice to be able to post positive updates for once!

Jo, it's really great to hear from you. I have missed your company on here, but knew that you have been focusing your attention elsewhere. I really hope that this is my last procedure for a long time, so I can direct my attention to other things, like improving my health in general and some work on our house, which is minor, but can't be done at present due to my knee. If you need support or a sympathetic ear regarding your Mum, pm me. I know how helpful it was to sort through my feelings with someone who had been through it already.

As for today, so far, so good. Slept okay, but would prefer to not be waking up in the middle of the night for meds. I am not setting an alarm, my body just knows its time and I wake up. No extra swelling from PT, and no noticeable after effects. I have ice n the knee now, mostly behind the knee, and it feels great.

I hope you all have a good day!

Dawn
 
Hi Dawn!

I finally caught up on your post! You are doing great! Keep up the great attitude and I will be praying that this is the end of surgery! :happydance:
 
Back
Top Bottom