Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Good Morning,

I had my first session with the massage therapist. I reviewed my knee history with him and went ahead with a session. He spent about 45 minutes on the muscles all around the knee, front and back. THere were quite a few painful moments as he was trying to target each small muscle and get a sense of what he was dealing with. There were no long strokes on the calf or thigh, but very targeted stretching. Afterwards, I could feel a bit more give which is good news. Last night, the area around the knee was sore and sensitive to the touch and it remains so today. THe knee was warm last night, something I haven't felt in a long time. I'm not sure if this is the answer or not but I will go for 4-5 sessions to give an adequate trial, then decide if I see improvement. THis type of massage is not the kind that is associated with relaxation, but to help stretch and elongate the muscles and loosen the scar tissue. I do hope it helps. Will update as the situation evolves.

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Hi Dawn

I hope this works out for you and I think you are wise to have at least 4 sessions. The fact your knee was warm last night I would take as a good sign - the blood was obviously flowing well around the area. Keep us posted and have a good weekend.
 
Thanks for the edit Jo. I looked at it and said message is a not a massage:th_heehee:

Dawn, sure hope this helps you get relief. Sounds like you are giving it a good try. Good luck with your efforts. I agree with Jo that this warmth could be a good thing! :thumb:
 
Thanks Jo, I appreciate your checking up on me!! Another appointment tomorrow, hope it helps!

Dawn
 
Second appointment with massage therapist in the books. My knee was sore for 3 days after the last session but by Sunday had calmed down. The session today went better, it was easier to tolerate the pressure on the muscles around the knee. He has given me some additional stretches he wants me to do for the calf and hamstring, so I will work those into my morning routine. Tonight, getting some pain on the side of the knee beside the front of the joint on the right. Joint is warm again, maybe try some ice. Next appointment is Thursday. Thanks for being out there friends! Dawn
 
Hi Dawn, I am keeping everything crossed for you that this massage works out for you :thumb:. It is certainly sounding hopeful. Take care.
 
Third massage therapy session in the books. Today I am starting to see where this might be helping. I can feel that the leg is stretching a bit more and because he is doing consistent work all the way around the joint and all the muscles including calf, hamstring and quad, it seems to be coming together. Scheduled two more for next week. He also suggested I start yoga and work with someone who has experience working with joint replacement clients. Again, something I will check out. Not ready to declare victory, I still have a long way to go, but feeling a bit more positive today. Small steps!

Dawn
 
Dawn, hello, I am kinda new here. The massage seems like it is helping some what. I never heard of yoga for joint replacements, I would love to find that as well!!
 
That's great, Dawn!!
 
Session 4 down, much more give in the knee today. The massage therapist kept moving from front of leg to back, applying heat occasionally, stretching every muscle he can. It was a little more intense as he has gotten more comfortable with me and the knee. I can see the improvement, slowly coming along. I did have to ice it once I got back to work which was fine, it actually felt good with the ice on. Hoping for the best!

Dawn
 
Dawn, how did you decide which massage therapist to use. And I know I am missing something, but what problems were you having that lead you to get a massage therapist?
 
Thanks Jo, I am pleased too!

Megan, I am missing extension, I am at about 8 degrees from straight, which creates a noticeable limp and muscle pain. I have had this issue for along time, even before TKR. I walked on my tip toe forever which has caused a muscle contracture. Add scar tissue to that and you Have a recipe for missing extension.

I found this guy through a referral from another massage therapist. He specializes in injuries, muscle issues, and stretching etc. he's great so far. He pushed a bit too yesterday but that's okay, we will find the right pressure. I think it is working, just need to stick with it. It's not the spa type massage but rather specific workon the TKR leg, knee aNd muscles. So far so good, just hope it helps longer term.

Be well,

Dawn
 
Quick update and advice please,

I had my 6th session with the massage therapist yesterday. The session before that was Friday morning and it was pretty intense. He spent a lot of time on specific muscles, and hit the IT band for the first time, ouch. The knee was hot to the touch and ached most of the day, then had to be in the car for about 3 hours late in the afternoon. On Saturday was on my feet for about 4 hours helping out a not for profit we support. All this was recipe for swelling and pain. I broke down and took a long acting Oxy in the evening but it really didn't help.

At yesterdays appointment, I asked him to tone down the intensity due to the swelling and pain I was getting, which he did. Didn't feel too bad afterwords, but I can tell the knee is still swelling a bit.

I am taking Celebrex 2 times a day but nothing else. The extension is no better than when I started this path. Not sure if its the swelling, or that its not helping me breakthrough the scar tissue, contracted muscles.

Now, at an impasse, at least that's what it feels like.

Should I try something else, like swimming, which I haven't tried yet? Should I go back for another MUA? Should I talk to the OS about going back in and removing the scar tissue/capsular release?

I just don't know what to do. It's been 7 months and my limp is as bad as it was at 3 months. I am not using any aids, I do ride my recumbent bike everyday and it feels good, but now the other knee is feeling "crunchy" while doing that.

I just don't know where to go from here. Feeling pretty depressed about the whole deal. At 49, I don't want to be on the sidelines of my life. I'm not looking to start new sports, etc. I just want to be able to walk with no limp, get down on the floor and play with grandkids, once they start arriving, be able to kayak, which means being to get in and out of the boat, go hiking, nothing to strenuous.

Any thoughts??? Sorry to complain, I know there are others who have a much worse situation that I do.

Dawn
 
Okay, pull up a chair and take a seat! :wink1: :doggieshmooze:

1. You might be 7 months but your knee has had a lot of punishment over the years and this was never going to be easy
2. improvements can continue for a year or more so please don't view yourself as at risk of being like this permanently
3.
The session before that was Friday morning and it was pretty intense. He spent a lot of time on specific muscles, and hit the IT band for the first time, ouch. The knee was hot to the touch and ached most of the day, then had to be in the car for about 3 hours late in the afternoon. On Saturday was on my feet for about 4 hours helping out a not for profit we support. All this was recipe for swelling and pain. I broke down and took a long acting Oxy in the evening but it really didn't help. I am taking Celebrex 2 times a day but nothing else.
You obviously need something more than just Celebrex. Have you tried adding 1,000mgs of Tylenol 3-4 times a day and see if that makes a difference? Truth is that one odd pill is not the way to manage pain. Try taking them for a few days and see if that makes a difference.
4.
Should I try something else, like swimming, which I haven't tried yet?
I think you need to do less not more
5.
Sorry to complain, I know there are others who have a much worse situation that I do.
Please, no apologies necessary - you know well that this is exactly what BoneSmart is here for and it doesn't matter a scrap what other people are going through. This is your thread and you are allowed to expressed what ever you want and vent as much as you want and we will do our best to pick up the pieces for you and help you through.
6.
Should I go back for another MUA? Should I talk to the OS about going back in and removing the scar tissue/capsular release?
That might be an option to consider.

What is your ROM right now?
When did you last see your surgeon and when does he want to see you again?
 
Swelling is caused by doing too much and damaging the knee, so, stop doing stuff. I recommend taking a complete break from any exercise, from standing or walking, the whole shebang, for several days, maybe a week. Rest, ice, elevate, stretch gently. Betcha the swelling goes down.
 
Thanks Jo and Roy, I appreciate the response.

Jo, I will try adding in the Tylenol and see what happens. Hopefully it will help. I know its still early in recovery and you're right, this knee has been punished for 30 years, so 7 short months is nothing in the big picture. I just had set my expectations too high that by the time Spring arrived, I would be walking like a regular person. Not to be just yet I guess.

The last time I had my ROM measured was in December. Flexion was like 110 and extension was 8-10. I saw the PA in my OS office about a month ago for a check in at 6 months. He had nothing constructive to offer except that they could do another MUA at any time, or go in for a capsular release which would be a much more involved procedure. They have no idea why I am having these issues and left it to me to decide next steps. He said they would see me at the one year mark, but to call anytime for an appointment if needed. Maybe its time to request an appointment with the OS himself and brainstorm together. The OS is terrific and I have a lot of confidence in him. I just don't know if they have any other ways than those listed to address this challenge.

As for activity, I am really not doing that much. I am on my recumbent bike every morning for 25-30 minutes which frankly, is when my TKR knee feels the best. Now the good knee has been chiming in with small pains and that crunchy feeling. I am ignoring her at this point!

I am seeing the massage therapist 2 times a week, 30 minutes at a time, but really nothing more than this. I do stretch each day as well. My strength isn't great but it will do. I was thinking the swimming might help but perhaps I am just grasping at straws. I am applying the adage that "activity relieves anxiety". But maybe in this context, doesn't provide results.

Just depressed at this point. I am a financial planner dealing primarily with retirees. Many of them have had TKR's and are naturally curious as to how I am doing. When they hear of my struggle and share their own experience, which almost always has a better outcome than where I am at, it does wear me down. My logical brain knows that my knee is unique with a long history of trouble, but my emotional brain says "are you kidding me, you're not better yet".

Thanks for letting me vent. I know that this is the place to come for understanding and support. Glad you are out there in Cyberspace!

Dawn
 
Dawn I hear your frustration and wish you had the results you want now :sigh:

As I look back, I did not start riding the stationary bike every day until my swelling went down at 6 1/2 months. I did ride the bike in PT and I was very swollen and had a hot knee. It took a very slow increase to get to 25 min, a day on the bike. I tend to agree with the others about taking a good rest with the knee. :friends:
 
Hi Dawn

What a rotten time you are having and I really feel for you. Having had a bad knee since I was 12 years old I understand your frustration. Also, we are just about the same age and again I understand how you feel about wanting to be normal with a knee that works as it should for someone your age. I totally get it!

I wonder if the swimming might be worth a try, as there are so many reports on the forum of how gentle it is on the knee. If you stopped the bike for a while and maybe give the pool a go (just a thought). It is so hard to advise as only you know how your knee is truly feeling after the exercise.

I wish I could be of more help and offer more advice to you Dawn but please know that you often come into my thoughts and I hope you will start to see improvement in your knee soon. Take care :friends:
 
Back
Top Bottom