Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* My L T K R Diary 2020

I couldn't walk any distance but at least I was independent.
I now feel trapped.
You are very justified to feel like this, it’s been a really difficult year for you.

But this newest surgery is a new beginning for healing. Take one day at a time, or one hour, or one minute. Try to rest and heal. We are here for you.
 
It may be that you still have some of the nerve block working that is causing your leg to be weaker. Get as much rest as you can. You and your knee have a lot of healing to do. Strength will come.
 
Firstly I would like to wish all members a better new year let's face it we need one.
And all the great help and advice you gave me in 2020
( Update.)
I am nearly into my first month since my cement spacer was removed and another new knee fitted.
It's been just on a year since I have been only able to partially weight bear on my knee and 20 weeks with the temporary knee cemented spacer and hinged leg brace.
Problem I am having now is I have lost so much muscle in that leg it often just goes beneath me and I can't trust myself to go on sticks so still on a walker.
I see my consultant or one of his team next week and my R O M is 55 degree's I am working on it but there is a thin line overdoing excercises makes my knee swell.
I guess this will take a lot more patience then a regular knee replacement.

Many thanks and let's pray for an end to this covid virus which is delaying many from having elected surgery.
 
Last edited:
You're right....this is going to be a much slower process. Because of the time you've not been able to weight bear, you will have atrophy. Muscles take a lot of time to rebuild once you are able to really do strengthening exercises. In the meantime, you have to just be patient and do the best you can for exercise - like you're doing. You are wise to seek that fine balance between doing enough to help and not so much as to cause pain or swelling.

But it does sound like you're doing okay and I'm glad to hear that in your update!
 
Happy New Year to you! Being in that immobilizer for months and gradual bending I definitely know the weak leg feeling. After a couple of months my OS had me doing those straight leg lifts to help with the quads and my recumbent bike to help with the ROM and general leg strength. Sounds like you are starting to feel a little better :)
 
We're here for you and will keep you in our prayers for a successful recovery.
 
Update.
After my knee revision my C R P was 18
Two weeks later it was 17.5
After another two weeks it is now 22.5
After all I have been through this is concerning me.
Is it normal to have these types of readings after the operation.
I am having a follow up apointment today
 
Hi, I have popped over from the hip forum! I have had done the same as you but my hip,i am 5 weeks post op from replacement having had my spacer in for two and a half years,mr CRP was 170 after surgery whichis to be expected then 33,then 15,then shot to 41 and now five days later 29. I think if you have had infection you live worrying about CRP!! I have tried to let go,remembering how very ill i was with bone infection and now feel ok,of course still pain and sore which is to be expected. Keep positive you sound to be doing really well,i had my surgery Nov 30th--thinking of youx
 
Hi, I have popped over from the hip forum! I have had done the same as you but my hip,i am 5 weeks post op from replacement having had my spacer in for two and a half years,mr CRP was 170 after surgery whichis to be expected then 33,then 15,then shot to 41 and now five days later 29. I think if you have had infection you live worrying about CRP!! I have tried to let go,remembering how very ill i was with bone infection and now feel ok,of course still pain and sore which is to be expected. Keep positive you sound to be doing really well,i had my surgery Nov 30th--thinking of youx
Many thanks for the encouragement.
You are quite right after going through 4 operations on my my knee within a year I have a fear of C R P levels and dread calling in the day after for my results.
 
I hope you get some calming words at your appointment today. As I'm sure you know, your CRP levels do increase in the days and even weeks following surgery due to inflammation from the surgery trauma. I would imagine with all your previous problems, your body is especially sensitive to any trauma at all. Please let us know how the consultation goes.
 
Many thanks for all your replys.
My meeting went well with one of my consultant's / surgeon's team as Mr palmer is off at the moment
The woman I saw is one I have seen before she is one of Palmers team and is very good not pushy but reassuring.
She said my blood tests were all within limits and explained my Ç R P levels will be unstable for some time as my knee has had so much trauma.
She has given me some different excercises to do and wants to see me again next week.
My surgeon Mr palmer called me this evening to say he had received the outcome of my visit today and was pleased how things are going.
 
Glad your appointment went well! Sounds like you are on track. This all takes time and tons of patience. You'll get there @Defender !
 
I can only imagine how all this must worry you. I'm glad you received some reassurance today that you're doing fine. Hopefully you can focus on the good things and not worry so much about bad things that "might" happen. It sounds like things are going well....I'm happy for you. Heaven knows you deserve some positive news!
 
I can only imagine how all this must worry you. I'm glad you received some reassurance today that you're doing fine. Hopefully you can focus on the good things and not worry so much about bad things that "might" happen. It sounds like things are going well....I'm happy for you. Heaven knows you deserve some positive news!
Thanks.
This is why I wanted to keep my complete journey in one thread.
I will look back on this thread one day and think wow did I go through all this.
I will also thank my lucky stars I found this forum and so many wonderful members.
 
I am glad your appointment went well and she reassured you about the CRP. It took me a while to separate CRP and Infection. My numbers are never "normal", but I always have inflammation because of the arthritis and damage to some of my joints. The more inflammation in your body the higher the number goes, so it doesn't always mean infection :) I had a new ortho last year because mine retired. On the yearly exam he ran a CRP and called me when he got the results. It came back a 19.3. He ended up doing all the infection tests including aspirating my knee. There was NO infection. He said he had a good baseline for me...LOL
 
Hello @Defender

My goodness you have been through the mill! What an awful experience you’ve had and you have remained upbeat, don’t know how you do it but well done you!

I have rheumatoid arthritis so I know how much hinges on the CRP numbers. My rheumatologist told me they can even be high if you have a cold, so it’s no wonder they are high for you with all you have been through.

Sounds like Mr Palmer is “on it” with you which is very reassuring. Is he by any chance Mr Palmer at Chelmsford? There area a few Palmers OS in the UK, so perhaps not. I am in Essex too, but my (postponed) surgery will be happening in Windsor (long story - 3rd OS)......

Good luck with the way forward you deserve it!
 
Hello @Defender

My goodness you have been through the mill! What an awful experience you’ve had and you have remained upbeat, don’t know how you do it but well done you!

I have rheumatoid arthritis so I know how much hinges on the CRP numbers. My rheumatologist told me they can even be high if you have a cold, so it’s no wonder they are high for you with all you have been through.

Sounds like Mr Palmer is “on it” with you which is very reassuring. Is he by any chance Mr Palmer at Chelmsford? There area a few Palmers OS in the UK, so perhaps not. I am in Essex too, but my (postponed) surgery will be happening in Windsor (long story - 3rd OS)......

Good luck with the way forward you deserve it!
Hi I haven't felt upbeat at times.
I think once you are in these situations you go into a different mode.
Still got a way to go but with a lot of work and advice from this forum we will get there.
Yes stephen palmer does cover chelmsford area he only does knees.
I wish you all the very best with your upcoming surgery during these difficult times.
 
HI all
Update
I had an appointment yesterday with one of my surgeon's team it went quite well she was pleased with my progress.
I said I was having problems increasing my R O M she measured it and said you have 80 degrees.
She also told me that during the operation the surgeon got 90 degrees and didn't expect me to get more than that.
I left rather disappointed as I do like cycling and she said you need at least 110 to cycle.
I am quite keen on the odd cycle ride.
I am hoping when more swelling goes I will achieve a better bend but as the surgeon got just 90 degrees during the operation it doesn't look good.
She also said knee revisions reduces the R O M.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My L T K R Diary 2020
    20210122_140500.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 232
I’m glad that she was pleased with your progress, that’s so encouraging, after all you’ve been through.

You just might get more than 90 degrees when all is said and done. Our ROM often improves way longer than our medical team tells us it will. In spite of my poor outcome, my ROM was still improving in my third year post op, so try not to give up hope.

Maybe your surgeon only went to 90 in surgery so he wouldn’t traumatize your leg unnecessarily.

I hope you’ll be able to cycle again!
 
I’m glad that she was pleased with your progress, that’s so encouraging, after all you’ve been through.

You just might get more than 90 degrees when all is said and done. Our ROM often improves way longer than our medical team tells us it will. In spite of my poor outcome, my ROM was still improving in my third year post op, so try not to give up hope.

Maybe your surgeon only went to 90 in surgery so he wouldn’t traumatize your leg unnecessarily.

I hope you’ll be able to cycle again!
Thanks yes perhaps he didn't want to push and cause unecessary traumer.
Apparently he told the consultant I saw not to use any force.
When she told him I had got to 80 degrees bend he said he was very happy with that progress.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom