Knee Infection* My L T K R Diary 2020

pain is unbelievable and getting worse.
The operation was two and a half hours twice as long as a normal replacement.
I called palmer over after the op he said it went well.
The anethasist came to see me before going down and said he was giving shots in my leg because of the pain level.
I knew this one was going to be painfull but nothing prepares you for this.
 
I'm glad your surgery is over and I hope your pain is soon under control.

Here's a copy of our recovery guidelines, to refresh your memory:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
You are through the surgery! Prayers that your pain is under control and that your healing is a smooth one. :prayer:
 
You made it through surgery! Great. Now try to get as much rest as possible so healing can begin. Try to catch any pain when it's just starting. Staying on a schedule for your pain meds is best. Hopefully your medical team can help with that. Don't hesitate to ask for pain meds at the first twinge of discomfort.
 
Thanks for all the replies.
After the operation I called the surgeon over he said it went well and he didn't find any thing nasty in there.
He came round in the evening to see how I was I said apart from the pain ok .
He said yes that's all normal and it will pass.
They have been keeping up with the pain killers.
He also told the physiotherapist not to expect More than a 70 degree bend for a while.
 
That sounds promising. Fingers crossed that you will stabilize quickly and can finally move forward.
 
Glad the surgery went well. Hope the pain will start easing up for you.
 
Had a bad night last night got about 2 hours sleep pain killers may have taken the edge off but it was as expected.
Pysio has been round started me off on frame then a few steps on sticks.
After all this time walking with partial weight on my left leg my brain has become trained to do this now.
I have walked up the corridor but haven't done stairs.
Been icing I have just got 70 degree bend.
This is going to be tough.
It needs to heal as it's taken a real bashing.
I am waiting for latest blood test if it's stable low I will go home on oral antibiotics otherwise I will go home with an I v
 
70 degrees this early in your recovery is remarkable! I pray your infection test is negative, that everything is clear!
 
I'm glad you're realizing that recovery probably will be at a slower pace than most because you've been through so much. Patience can be difficult, but hang in there......it's important that you allow your body to heal properly on its own schedule. We're here to support you each step of the way!!
 
Had a good night's sleep.
I see consultant today he said see how I get on with physio then go home on oral antibiotics.
I asked him about the C R P he said it's likely to be high after surgery
Really aches this morning but I am expecting that as such early days.
Thanks to you all I will be needing help and advice to get me through this.
 
We'll be here to help you as much as we can.
 
Wow, you're really doing well. Keep taking things easy, though. You want to keep that new knee calm and quiet....no inflammation from overworking it.
 
Yay, you're going home! What wonderful news!
 
Well I am home now which is good.
I am feeling very depressed as I can't put any weight on my leg without it going from under me.
I know I have been through a lot but it's getting to me that I will never walk again.
Having spent so much time in hostpital and had all this treatment it's coming up to a year.
Sorry but I just need to vent off my feelings the thought of not being able to walk as I did before the op scares me
I couldn't walk any distance but at least I was independent.
I now feel trapped.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom