My Journey in Finding the "Right" Surgeon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so happy for you that you are finding little bits of relief and help! I pray that you continue to have less pain, up until the few days before surgery. I wanted my pain to be most present in the days right before so that I wouldn't back out. You will be so happy once it's done. The wavering back and forth is such a mind game! I will say, that as of yesterday, 12 days post op, I feel so much better now than I did going into surgery. The first week was hard, but I can't believe how much progress I've made this week. Feeling so THANKFUL that I'm getting my life back! I got to trade in my walker for a cane yesterday, and it felt so awesome! God is good! Thank you for all of your support along the way. I will be here for you as well! Have a wonderful day! Hugs!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@45goingon90
Thank you for your encouragement...it means a lot to me!
Yes, "being on the fence" is not a good place to be. The fact that my surgeon said I should wait doesn't help either. The way I see it is, either this physical therapy will stabilize my hip in just four short weeks or it won't, whereby I will proceed with my September 23rd surgery. I have never tried conservative measures to control my limp and minor pain and feel I should at least give it a try. My husband had some Vicodin left over from a hernia surgery, so I thought I would try them and see what would happen. I have tried taking one a day for three days and find I can walk without limping and pretty much have 0 pain. This has added to my uncertainty as to whether I should go for it or not. Please keep me in prayer, so I make the right decision.
I'm so happy you are coming along well and know you made the right decision by moving forward. God bless!
Cindy
 
@Cynthia777 my goodness! Squats on the BOSU ball! That's impressive! You should have seen my PT's face light up when I asked to do some BOSU ball work to work on balance!

Definitely give your PT feedback on how you felt in the days after your sessions. That will tell him if he's pushing you too far. And if something feels like too much, ask for an easier version, less reps, etc.

I'll say it again--Never. EVER, tell your PT "That was easy....!" :tiredwheel:
 
I agree with you, being on the fence is a horrible position!! Worse yet if it's an electric fence!! :heehee:
I had a decent day today.. had a dental appt.. I have a recently crowned tooth that is getting a bit painful and thought I should look into that before the surgery date. I got up to walk into the operatory and thought I could casually glide along, since it was a good day, and of course, that is when the hip decided to get all temperamental.
It was hard to shake off mentally, especially when discussing a darned root canal.
Then I returned to my studio to work with a lovely client who has had bilateral THR's-- and she is in great shape, does Pilates and Yoga 3-4 times weekly. She gave me a lovely pep talk without even knowing it was a bad afternoon.
i love when the messages come at the most perfect times.
 
@agileHippie
So it's called a BOSU Ball? Well, Mr. BOSU Ball humiliated the heck out of me, but I didn't let him win. I did it for the full two minutes (ummm...actually a minute and fifty seconds) and that was at the end of my workout, so I think I did okay. I was waiting to feel tremendous leg muscle aches today, but it never came. My legs feel fine, but my left shoulder blade hurts (can't figure that out since I didn't even work my upper body.
Now don't you fret none, Madame Agilehippe, this Italian woman has never had problem saying what's on her mind! Plus, Mr. Francisco (PT) is the gentlest of sorts (so far at least)...we shall see. Next appointment is Friday...to be continued. :)
 
@CricketHip
Well girl, we are going through our dental work together too! I had a crown break and am in the middle of having a new one put on. However, you're going through a lot more than I am! I pray yours isn't leading to a root canal and your pain just simply vanishes! Nothing worse than a toothache!!!!!!!! :-(
 
@Cynthia777 Hi, interesting that PT started with the Bosu. This an advanced workout that helps with balance. You work special nerve endings called "proprioceptors" I have clients do a variety of exercises on both sides. I have a 72 year old client that does a Bosu on top of another Bosu. Good Luck with Therapy.
 
@Michegon
My goal with PT for the next few weeks is to see if I can stabilize my hip that has the Labral tear (in addition to the early AVN). Do you think this is why he started me on it so early in my PT? I must say it wasn't easy, but I did about 6 or so squats on it, holding the squat for 8 to 10 seconds. Your thoughts?
Here is what the ball looks like for those of you who aren't familiar with a BOSU Ball (imagine balancing anddoing squats on this little booger)!
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey in Finding the "Right" Surgeon...
 
@Cynthia777 Hi, Having the Bosu bubble up is a lot more stable and doing squats will strengthen the glutes and quads. Your therapist has the big advantage of being there with you to read how this effects you. Regular squats are hard enough to do as you stated you are not exercising until now. I see a lot of Trainers that don't know what a Bose is! So, steady as she goes!
 
@Cynthia777 so you are having dental work, too? We are twinsies! The discomfort is low grade and manageable on mine.. but I am beginning to feel very high maintenance.
I think today is your PT day and I bet you have a date with Mr. Bosu.. I admire you for giving it such a good try.. :thumb:
 
I did about 6 or so squats on it, holding the squat for 8 to 10 seconds. Your thoughts?
I would not do any activity that aggravates that hip. The only PT I would recommend pre-op would be upper body strength.

And as for the balance ball - you are going to shift all your balance post op. Using this after THR is good. Can't image why your PT is having you do this now?
 
@Jaycey
In addition to the early stage AVN, I also have a Labral tear in the painful hip. We are trying to see if we can strengthen the muscles around it to stabilize the hip. We feel the mild pain I have (which as steadily improved since last May) is from the torn Labrum, rather than the AVN. My surgeon wants to see if we can avoid the THR by doing this. My hip pain and limp has actually improved since starting PT. It's a long shot, but worth a try. Thanks Jaycey! :)
 
@Cynthia777 lol, this is another issue with having pain and exhaustion, my brain isn't working too well. I thought today was Friday!! Oh well. I hope the Bosu Goads are smiling on you tomorrow.. long live the gluten and piriformis's!!
 
@CricketHip
YOUR BRAIN TOO????? OMG! And here I thought it was just my brain getting old! All kidding aside, I'm really having tremendous problems with brain function! I'm so scattered, my memory is shot and I can't focus on anything. I'm hoping that it's got to do with the approaching THR. Kind of like my brain is blocking out everything else!
 
Let's hope together! My excuse is that I'm working in pain with the subsequent sore joints and muscles from working less ergonomically. The irony of people coming to me for relief while I am in pain is not lost on me.
I found a new item for the post op woman cave -aka- Lady's Lair! It's from Relax The Back and called the Pillow system.. It seems the more I try to rest, the more my neck/upper body hurts and I am hoping this pillow set up helps.
So far I love it. Maybe my brain function will improve, too! I wonder if @Nana757 will approve?? She's the pillow whisperer.. :ok:
 
broken link removed: https://www.relaxtheback.com/purefit-adjustable-wedge-system.html
 
Yes, I was a bit put off by the size and amount of pillow volume, but it sure is helpful.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom