My Journey in Finding the "Right" Surgeon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sullivand
Great questions to ponder I must say! I think my uncertainty is because I work from home (on occaision I meet clients at an office I have) and am really quite the homebody. It did hit me hard yesterday when I thought about planning a trip to Big Bear Lake for some good fishing. I suddenly wondered if I could get in and out of a little motorboat. I then thought of my upcoming beach trip and realized I won't be able to surf fish at night because I think walking on sand would be quite a challange. But then I thought that since I rarely go fishing, how important is fishing versus a foreign object permanently inside my body...lol! This is a pic that shows what my mind is going through!!!! :good-bad:

Thanks for always being here when I need you and I'm sure happy you made it through so much! Hugs & prayers!
 
Well @Cynthia777
I think the "foreign" object (haha I love that!) could make your life a better one if your hip is not improving by your deadline. You seem to me to be a very warm and giving person~ just be sure that you are not just " settling" for something in your life because you give instead of take. Does that make sense? You deserve a "full" life ~ and that is what the post op hippies can help you with~ is their life fuller?
 
@Cynthia777 Having just read your update, I would most definately go for the August date. You say you will soon be having to use a motorised scooter to get around town, that really is not living a life that you should be living at such a young age. I was nowhere near in as much pain as you, but was so relieved to have a new hip. I'd had some pain over the last 15 years, and it was only in the last year I finally reached a point where I went to my GP and said I could stand it no longer. He refused to give me stronger pain meds for the hip pain, and I see now from reading on here they probably wouldn't have helped anyway. So the only option was a new hip.
I had osteoarthritis which I know is most likely different from your problems, but if a new hip will get rid of the pain, help you do your job properly and be able to enjoy all those things you would normally do, then there is no question, you should just get it done.
I did go to the surgeon prepared to state my case and stress the pain I was in, but I didn't need to do that, surgeon had decided before I even got in the room, but you on the other hand need to stress this to your surgeon, tell him the things you are unable to do, stress that your husband has to wait on you because you are unable to do things yourself. Hopefully that should shake him up a bit.
Its no good being brave and thinking all is well when its not.

Sorry this post is a bit on the tough side, but please do the right thing and start living your life again. Even now so soon after my op I am doing so much that I couldn't do before, and I'm thankful for that, every day I think its a miracle thats happened.
 
@Liznwiz
You have no idea how much your response has helped! When you mentioned you weren't in as much pain as I am, I think this has been my main concern...since I'm not in much pain, but am limited doing daily activities, will I be happy I moved forward. On my first visit with my surgeon, he asked if I could live with the pain and my response was, "I can't see myself using a cane for the rest of my life." So, the bottom line is, I do not have a lot of pain, BUT, I can't walk without a limp and I must use the cane to keep the pain at bay. Thanks Liz, I appreciate your advice very much!!!!
 
I also do not have much pain and can function well on a daily basis. My OS said he would replace when I was ready. I made a list of things that when I can't do any of them I will replace. I do not use a cane and can do the things I want even tho some pain may be involved. If I ever say "I would like to but can't " it is time to replace. From your posts I believe you are at that point and should keep the August date. Just my 2 cents worth.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@sweet alice
Great to hear from someone in a similar boat! I can live with the mild pain, but I'm finding it difficult to live with a cane and the limitations. Your advice makes a lot of sense! I also feel my body getting "out of whack" and am beginning to develop pains and weaknesses in other areas of my body (arms, back and some weakness in leg muscles). Thank you for replying, I greatly appreciate your input!!!!
 
Just remember--you're only managing your pain now because you've reduced the boundaries of your life to an abnormally small area. If you had to do physical or strenuous work, your pain level would be a different story.

I knew it was time when just grocery shopping made me cringe.
 
@Cynthia777 I feel for you as this is a difficult decision. For all three of my replacements four different surgeons told me you will know when you are ready for the replacement. For each one I waited until I had almost no mobility, no quality of life, and lots of pain in many areas. I know the hurt when you watch others walk on the beach or even walk into a grocery store. Like you I am blessed with a caring, supportive loving spouse that will support any decision I have made. They call this procedure an elective surgery meaning you as a patient decide. Some people seem to breeze through it and are out and about in days. Some have complications and must continue to seek recovery options. Most of us fall between the two. I do not regret having either knee replaced. The left feels like my own knee, the right well we are still trying to be friends. My new hip does not feel like a bionic part and I am glad I had it done. Having said that I am aware of the restrictions put onto me by the surgery and as you know have had some difficulty grasping the restrictions. You are well informed about the surgery and also are well prepared for the surgery. I guess the deciding factor was I was not willing to spend my life unable to do basic things when I had a chance to improve it. It is a decision only you can make and your positive outlook will do you well. The funny thing is even after you have made the decision the what ifs get you. Then for some after the surgery it is tell me why I did this to myself. My GP was the most helpful to me when he said get this hip fixed so you can get some relief from your back. You will have more problems if you don't and you are too young to become so mobility limited. Now having said all this I agree with your surgeon. You will have to come to terms with it and decide for yourself if the timing is right. Prayers to you and hope that you can get some relief from the pressure of what to do. You will get good advice and support from others. As you know this is a wonderful supportive place for all of us slightly impaired hippie weirdos. Hugs, Barb
 
Hi to all the wonderful friends I've come to know and love here on BS. I pray you are all doing well!
I have decided to make this thread my "official" pre-op thread, as it starts from the beginning of my journey.

As many of you know, I have vacillated between waiting or moving forward with my surgery. It has been a very unsettling experience, especially the fallout of my May surgery (which I was 100% looking forward to because my pain level was at the point where I couldn't live with it any longer). Since May, my pain level has gradually improved from about 5 or 6 to a 1 or 2.

A few weeks ago, upon obtaining results of a second MRI, I have learned that I also have (in the painful hip) a Labral tear in addition to the Avascular Necrosis. In my opinion, I believe the tear has been the source of my pain and my limp. Since the surgical treatment for the tear (arthroscopic surgery) is a contradiction when one has AVN, I have decided to try physical therapy and see if PT can stabilize the hip (it's a long shot, but has had some limited success).

With all this being said, I continue to create my post-op woman den and begin all the pre-op clearance appointments one must go through prior to surgery. I also want to thank each and every one of you who have shown such graciousness, kindness and patience as I rode my never ending seesaw during my decision making! :good-bad:
 
@Cynthia777 glad you made a decision and I hope it works well! I had a labral tear, as well, but I had other issues (like my hip bone never fully developed and all the cartilage was weak and thick so a hip replacement was inevitable). But PT did make me feel a lot better So I hope it does the same for you. Your encouragement along the way was so very helpful. Keep in touch my special bone smart friend!
 
Cynthia,

Hope you get relief no matter which direction you go. I will say I procrastinated too long on my hip. The secondary pains I had in my lower back and SI Joint area are gone now. I know you have different issues and they are not referred pain. But, I would get the hip done if it is at or near bone on bone. Not sure how and in what order you deal with the other issues. Good Luck--:)
 
@rugmankc
That's the kicker, my surgeon said my cartilage is "beautiful"! I thought he was going to start crying when he said, "and I'm going to have to cut it out and just throw it away." My problem is different, a portion of the femoral heads have died and I have a torn Labrum. My surgeon actually said for me to wait until I "can't take the pain anymore". This has added to my dilemma of moving forward. He is a top surgeon in California and knows his stuff, but I just can't see myself not whole (if that makes sense). With AVN, the femoral head can collapse and then replacement is a given. I can just see it happening over the holidays...its kind of a game of Russian Roulette! Thanks for your well wishes!
 
@Cynthia777 I assume it isn't going to get better then. I would find a good time and get fixed up. Still time before holidays. It is easy for others to say wait until you can't take it anymore. But, why continue to suffer if there is an alternative. I did that with my back and hip. Best of Luck on your decision. :)
 
@sunbunny
I read your post above periodically, as somehow it gives me a sense of peace. I can tell you this, if my surgeon hadn't said he felt I should wait, I wouldn't be going through this dilemma. Of course, if I knew I'd breeze through it, I'd be hounding them for an earlier surgery date....DARN HIM! ;-)
 
@Cynthia777 I wish you luck on your journey whatever road it takes you on and may you experience many beautiful pain free days before you join us again on the surgical route. Thank you for all your help and your great approach to chatting to all of us.

Have fun


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@AndyH99
You're not getting rid of me that easy! ;-)
I'm still on the road to surgery on September the 23rd, unless by some miraculous intervention takes place during PT. :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom