Just thought I would update my present situation. I recently received a copy of my most recent MRI report and discovered in addition to my AVN, I have some tearing of the Labrum and a small joint effusion in the painful hip (I have a sneaky feeling this is where my pain is originating from because I had twisted my hip a couple of days before the onset of pain and my AVN is at a stage that normally is not symptomatic). My present surgeon did not have a copy of the MRI nor the report and because I hadn't seen the report yet, I just told him about my AVN during my consultation. Since he advised me to take a "wait and see" position, regarding moving forward with surgery, I felt he should know about the tearing of the Labrum and joint effusion problems (keep in mind, I only have pain in the joint with the labrum problem), so I emailed him a copy. He called me upon receiving it and here is what he told me, "I don't care if you came to me with the worst hip I've ever seen, I would still advise you to wait until you can't take the pain anymore and then move forward with the replacement."
So, here I sit every day, trying to decide if I should go for it at the end of August or not.
So, with that being said, I'm hoping to get some advice from my fellow members and friends...would you go for it or wait? Here is my present condition...I'm 61 years old and have sat on my behind for years (my hubby acts as my slave, his choice, and does everything for me). I am a manufactured housing dealer and work from home (hubby and daughter show our homes and I work my clients by phone). I have no pain at rest, but must use a cane to lessen the weight on my painful hip, thus keeping levels at about 1 or 2. I have developed a limp and am somewhat limited as to what I can do (cartwheels, backflips, hiking...all the things I watch people doing on TV and suddenly long to be able to do these things...LOL). All kidding aside...I can't walk in the sand, I can't walk any long distances, nor can I climb several stairs (I live in a single story, but I had to book a downstairs room for vacation, while all other family members will be upstairs and will need to rent a scooter to "walk" to town with everyone.
Btw...I do not take any pain meds.
So there ya have it. Please ask any questions you may have in helping me decide what to do. I am so grateful to have all of you here on bonesmart!
Cindy