My Journey in Finding the "Right" Surgeon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a hilarious and appalling thread, exposing American health care at its money-grubbing, profit-centered, doctor-worshipping worst. Not sure whether to laugh or cry. I guess first cry, then laugh.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Btw...anyone have experience with Hoag Orthopedic Institue in Irvine, CA? You know, the important info, food, room accommodations etc? ;-)
 
@Cynthia777
I just found your preop thread ~ oh my goodness you poor thing~ I am so sorry you have been through such a hard time~and also noticed your Avatar change. Nice pic! :)
I was thinking about you and wanted you to know I would be thinking about you tommorow and hope you get your surgery scheduled. Something that snuck up on me and caused me to scream and yell which scared my dog and scared me too is the " preop clearance" it is a form w certain tests the GP has to do before the OS will even schedule the surgery. My GP can be hard to see and that delayed my surgery about a week and I was so frustrated that I didn't know about this step earlier so that I could have been on the schedule earlier! After all I was not doing much but pain meds! Ugh! Crazy hoops to jump through and with bad hips ~ it's just not fair! Good luck!
 
@Sullivand
What a precious, precious person you are! Thank you so much for caring! I, too, have a primary physician who is very busy! He is excellent, but appointments to see him take forever! If the surgeon suggests I have this surgery sooner rather than later, I may be forced into seeking a new GP. I've already received a cardiology clearance, so hopefully that will speed things up. You made me laugh about you screaming and scaring poor Rover and yourself! Thanks for that!!! Fortunately I do not have any pain while at rest. I am self-employed, so I work from home, which is truly a blessing! Oh, and thanks for the compliment on my avatar....it's nice to remember what I USED to look like! ;-)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cynthia777
Oh good! You are on top of it better than I was. I had pain no matter what i did. Oh gosh ~ I just got the shivers thinking about it~I am so glad it's behind me.
My poor Westie started barking as I screamed and cried in frustration! Poor doggie! I can't even remember the last time I did that~ I think I was 16 and I had been grounded for passing curfew! Haha! Oh wait that wasnt me but one of my 3 daughters! Glad they are past that stage and in their independent late 20s!!
Hip pain can make you crazy! I am glad your pain is minimal when you rest but that's not a very good life plan~ hope you are surgery bound soon! Keep us posted!
 
Surgeon #5
Well, it's been quite the day to say the least! Here is how my appointment went...
Dr. Steven L. Barnett (Orange, CA) is surgeon #5 and what a surgeon indeed! He walked into the exam room With a huge smile on his face, introduced himself and asked me to describe the problem I was having with my hips (his nurse already had my X-Rays up so he could view them). I explained my diagnosis of bilateral AVN of the femoral heads, Ficat stage 2, pre-collapse. He chuckled and asked how I knew all of this and I explained that he was surgeon #5, plus I had done extensive research on the Internet. He proceeded to view my films and then asked me what my pain level was and whether I could I live with it. Wow, that took me by surprise! I told him anywhere from 0 to 7 (0 at rest, a 7 if I turn/twist wrong, but lately it has only been about a 3), but I couldn't see myself using a cane for the rest of my life. He told me that my cartilage was excellent, as well as my range of motion and he just hated to cut out all of that beautiful cartilage and just throw it away (you could almost visibly see the pain in his eyes)! He proceeded to tell me that he has had some patients who have had exactly what I have (same stage, same size of lesion, etc.), who have healed completely without therapy!!!! I told him that I found this very interesting, as my pain level had been easing as of the past two or so weeks. He then asked what date I was getting back from my vacation and I told him August the 16th. Now the best part...he began talking me out of surgery (at least for now)! He told me I could make an appointment for surgery (which I did...August the 31st) and if the pain gets too bad, just call and he will fit me in right away, but he wants to see if my hips will heal on their own! He also told me the hip that doesn't hurt is the worst of the two hips! What a kind, caring and great surgeon! I would HIGHLY recommend this surgeon!!!

@Gummy Bears, I know you said you wanted me to tag you after my appointment, so here it is...and thanks for always being so kind!
 
Wow @Cynthia777 what great news, you have some options! Unlike you, my cartilage was torn and a complete mess (they could not repair it.). All those times you joked about the hip possibly healing...who would have known it could be true?! From what I read on him he seems to know his stuff. Be sure to keep us updated!
 
Wow @Cynthia777 We are not in control are we?! I am so excited for you that you are healing! I think about how you went through all of those surgeons and never settled ~ your Angels had everything lined up! My cartilage was eaten by strep so no choice for me! Keep us posted! Keep on healing! :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great news @Cynthia777 good cartilage...none here...bone spurs to boot! I am hoping for the best for you. Have a great vacation and prayers for those hips to heal. It is amazing the different opinions out there. And how one comment can cause many sleepless nights. As you have found out the only advocate for our health is you. Doctors use to be trusted and we had complete faith in what they said. Now we have become a case number at best and like you do much research on our own. Thank you for posting the information and reminding all of us to do our due diligence with health decisions. Take care and keep us posted on your journey. Hugs!
 
That's sure an interesting response by Surgeon #5! So, you've decided to stick with him then? As long as your pain is decreasing there is no reason not to give his idea a try.
 
@sunbunny @Sullivand @Jamie @Cisne

Thank you to each of you for your thoughtful and kind words!
As I reflect back on each of my previous visits with surgeon's #1 through #4, I realize it was all about scheduling me in their ever constant assembly line, with little or no consideration of what was best for me. This was quite the opposite with Dr. Barnett. His practice, the Orthopedic Specialty Institute, which he co-owns along with Dr. Robert Gorab, (I've read excellent reviews on Gorab as well), was so busy yesterday that I figured they don't need to keep the "assembly line" going, as they're in high demand. Word spreads fast in Orange County and I could tell they are well respected in the community (I actually felt a little bit out of place amongst the "beautiful people" waiting to see them)! Lol! There is a younger and much less experienced surgeon who practices there as well, but after conversing with one of his post-op patients, I would not recommend him (to be fair, I'm not sure if she was just unlucky that she is having problems post-op or if it was the surgeon's skills that played a part in it). I'm still in awe that a surgeon, who only makes his money if I sign on the dotted line, talked me out of going forward!

@Jamie, yes, I wouldn't go to anyone else! He also teaches other surgeons on the Anterior approach and he works out of HOAG Orthopedic Institue, which does more joint replacements than any other hospital in California. I read a review where the person said it was so nice there, that it was a darn shame one had to be sick to stay there!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cynthia777 :wowspring:that is the best news. You must be thrilled. I really hope that the waiting allows you not to have to proceed and that your hip manages to heal itself. It is a shame it took so long for you to get properly listened to, but at least you don't have that hanging over you now. It's 3 weeks to D Day for me, but I am off to the sunshine for a week tomorrow, so will try to put it out of my mind. Keep us posted on your progress. Xx :yes!: :cheers:
 
@hayleybell63
You go and enjoy that vacation! As much as we need relief physically, we need it emotionally as well! If nothing else, I will be able to attend my traditional (51 years) beach vacation and get mentally prepared for surgery on August the 31st should I still need it. :-)
 
Just thought I would update my present situation. I recently received a copy of my most recent MRI report and discovered in addition to my AVN, I have some tearing of the Labrum and a small joint effusion in the painful hip (I have a sneaky feeling this is where my pain is originating from because I had twisted my hip a couple of days before the onset of pain and my AVN is at a stage that normally is not symptomatic). My present surgeon did not have a copy of the MRI nor the report and because I hadn't seen the report yet, I just told him about my AVN during my consultation. Since he advised me to take a "wait and see" position, regarding moving forward with surgery, I felt he should know about the tearing of the Labrum and joint effusion problems (keep in mind, I only have pain in the joint with the labrum problem), so I emailed him a copy. He called me upon receiving it and here is what he told me, "I don't care if you came to me with the worst hip I've ever seen, I would still advise you to wait until you can't take the pain anymore and then move forward with the replacement."
So, here I sit every day, trying to decide if I should go for it at the end of August or not.
So, with that being said, I'm hoping to get some advice from my fellow members and friends...would you go for it or wait? Here is my present condition...I'm 61 years old and have sat on my behind for years (my hubby acts as my slave, his choice, and does everything for me). I am a manufactured housing dealer and work from home (hubby and daughter show our homes and I work my clients by phone). I have no pain at rest, but must use a cane to lessen the weight on my painful hip, thus keeping levels at about 1 or 2. I have developed a limp and am somewhat limited as to what I can do (cartwheels, backflips, hiking...all the things I watch people doing on TV and suddenly long to be able to do these things...LOL). All kidding aside...I can't walk in the sand, I can't walk any long distances, nor can I climb several stairs (I live in a single story, but I had to book a downstairs room for vacation, while all other family members will be upstairs and will need to rent a scooter to "walk" to town with everyone.
Btw...I do not take any pain meds.
So there ya have it. Please ask any questions you may have in helping me decide what to do. I am so grateful to have all of you here on bonesmart!
Cindy
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dear @Cynthia777 you had been on my mind and I decided to check in on your thread only to discover you are in a bit of a quandry.
This is a really tough decision and one that your post op hippies who elected to have this done might be able to help. I am not the best to help with your decision because I did not have the luxury to decide~ my pain was a 15 on a scale of 1-10, I was septic and needed 4 transfusions during a 4 hour surgery. I was very sick. With that said~ I think you are doing the right thing by asking for opinions. I think the things I would think about and knowing how thorough you are you probably already have but here are my thoughts:
- what is your pain level on an average day
- how often does the pain interfere with daily independent routines eg getting dressed
-how often are you missing or not doing work tasks
- what and how many pleasurable activities have you stopped doing
- interview hippies who are past their recovery periods and find out if they would do it again? I think those still in recovery might not be able see past their immediate recovery and won't be as helpful.
Well hope this helps! Keep us posted on your decision. It will the right one for YOU!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom