My Journey in Finding the "Right" Surgeon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my goodness @Cynthia777 and @CricketHip! If you two hadn't tagged me in this thread I would have never known about this thread of yours, Cindy. I am so sorry I hadn't seen it before, so I could put my two cents in. But here I am now! I read through the whole thing and now see what your dilemma is, even with all our other conversations, it's making sense now. I am thinking you must have an extremely high pain threshold to be going through all this with zero pain meds, only with the occasional Vicodin. This makes me think you would do exceptionally well with the surgery, especially if you are opting for the anterior. You know my story...and I can only imagine you would do just as well. But, as everyone else has said, it is a decision only you can make, my dear friend.
Now..about this relax the back pillow...the way it sets up on the bed is almost identical to the way I have all my pillow set up. Had I seen this before hand, I probably would have forked out the $250 for it, but my cheap little wedge and arm pillow (combined cost was less than $50), and all my other pillows work great. "pillow whisperer", huh....has a nice ring to it. Lol
I hope your PT goes well today, my friend.
 
@Nana757
Don't you worry one bit! I miss so many posts (do not receive many alerts) and I always have that terrible feeling that someone thinks I don't care about them! It's the nature of the site at times.
Thanks Nana, now you get why my decision is such a burden. However, I'm about 95% sure it's going to happen on my current scheduled D-Day!
 
nana,, welcome to "the thread" lol
Kind of like "The View" :heehee:
 
@Michegon
Went to PT today and my therapist has been adding extra exercises each time. He watches me closely and is always asking how I'm doing. Today I did the BOSU ball again for 2 minutes (squats, holding for 10 seconds and then repeat). My legs weren't nearly as shaky as previously. He said something about our brains remembering what we did and sending some sort of signal to our muscles? Anyway it was MUCH easier! I actually really enjoyed it today. I haven't exercised in years and I really felt quite invigorated when I left. No pain yet. :-)
 
@Cynthia777 Cool, pretty much muscle memory and good job on staying the course. Keep it up and separate pain from discomfort. Your muscles nerve endings are responding to the stimuli of the Bosu! The invigoration is probably the release of dopamine from the workout and success.
 
The hardest part is getting back in the routine. But it sounds like you are on the right track, my friend. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you will reap the benefits once you have your surgery and start the recovery phase.
 
@Michegon
Yes, muscle memory...That's what he mentioned! He said the muscle memory comes back very quickly. A little discomfort at times, but not pain for sure. Thanks for replying!

@Nana757
You are so right! It's definitely getting into a routine of going. I actually wish I could go more than twice a week, but the surgeon only recommended twice a week.
 
Ahhh, muscle memories that hit you right in the glutes!! :rotfl:
And none of this is making you sore @Cynthia777?
I am having neck and shoulder pain, probably from trying to compensate for the hip and lower back while working.
So, it' actually hurts more than my hip so I took the dog for a nice walk tonight, can't have the hip calming down right before surgery! My wee brain can't handle that sort of head game!!
@ilovefall - I could have had my surgery a full week sooner if I had agreed to drive to Bensalem but the longer drive worried me.. I have heard that it's an awesome facility.
 
@CricketHip
Ah yes, the old head game trick, of which I'm deeply embedded! Not a nice place to be!

Strangely, no pain after any of my PT visits! Quite odd and unexpected!

3 weeks tomorrow I THINK I shall be under a man's knife! :yikes::yikes:

You, my Lass, will be so much better after your carving! ;-)
 
Hope things are settling down for you. You've been on my mind. Sending love and prayers


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Okay, where did I leave off? Well, here's an update....
I have chosen the surgeon I said I would NOT use, so I'm eating my words! Although he has quite the attitude, he is only five minutes from home AND most importantly (I just found this out), he was trained by Dr. Matta (who actually brought the anterior method to the U.S.). My surgeon has been called a lot of names (arrogant, jerk, etc.), but he has also been called, "gifted hands" and I guess that's what's most important!

Since my last postings, I have had the left hip go from painless to quite painful and will have it replaced first, instead of the right hip. I do know one thing, I won't have any regrets once I have surgery because now the pain is at a point where I'm doing the shuffle like a 90 year old woman instead of walking with the aid of a cane.

I have missed all of my bonesmart family!!!!!
 
@Cynthia777 Merry Christmas! Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. I was the same way prior to my surgery. You will be on your way to feeling better soon. I may have had a rough start but am doing really well. I have so much more mobility and a much better quality of life. Off all pain meds for the first time in ten years. You are so well prepared and ready for this. After my left hip was done and I regained a normal gait and my right hip has not caused me trouble. I hope to baby it and not have surgery for another year or so. Sending you thoughts and prayers. Missed you too. A Happy New Year is going to happen! Hugs!
 
I am so happy to hear from you @Cynthia777, but sorry to hear your hip is giving you so much pain now. The good news is, it will soon be all over with, I hope...and you can get your quality of life back. I know you have been struggling with the should I or shouldn't I dilemma, but looks like you are ready now. I wish you nothing but the best my dear friend.
:flwrysmile:
Oh! And :merry christmas:
 
@sunbunny and @Nana757!
I am sooo happy to hear from you two! Thanks for your ever present encouragement...it means so much!
Yes, there are no struggles with the should I shouldn't I dilemma! I'm ready, willing and (God willing) ready to get this over with. I'm in a much better place because I can't go on like this. :-)
Happy Holidays and hugs sent to both of you! :loveshwr:
 
@Jaycey
So good to hear from you! Yes, the journey has been a long one and it's time for me to begin my journey on the "other side". Thank you for your encouragement!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom