Guest viewing is limited

THR My Journey begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beth, you haven't posted lately. Are you doing okay?
 
Beth, hope you're not trying to venture out in the snow! Hope you're feeling better and getting around OK. Check in if you can...
 
Poppet is right, in between running around I am taking resting seriously . sissy46 and dede62 I am doing VERY WELLTrying hard to moderate, brain has been sluggish so not online that much, but know I am thinking of you. We had a snowstorm and I hope that is the last one this season.

Update for post-op day 9
Able to do stairs only once or twice a day
walk with 1 crutch most of the time
Pain is less this go around but more diffused into knee
can lift knee to height of top of lower cabinet door
heel slides real good now
PT is amazed, says it is like already at 3 week mark, she also said I did a good job with the T gait and she sees no T gait now, the trusty heel-toe, back straight, chest out mantra is working
can sleep on stomach, which is way different than last time as I cannot find a comfortable position for the leg, so keep moving it
Brain very fuzzy, so zoning alot
Realize I will have toforce myself to be slow and steady in order to heal well
leg raises are difficult, squat not happening yet, PT will bring a balance board on Tuesday, so that should be interesting
Always use my ice, headaches have been a major issue, but think it is related to my arthritic neck, heat for that
Can pick things up from the floor
 
Sounds like everything is going well for you on your second time around. I have been following you as close as I can since my surgery. I have to have a second surgery also to replace my other hip. My OS didn't want to do them both at the same time actually at the hospital I was in no one had heard of that. But anyway I have my two surgeries 5 weeks apart. This coming Tuesday I will be two weeks since my first one. It's comforting for me to learn from those who have gone before me in this venture. I hope everything continues to heal and your recovery is quick and easy.
 
Hi Beth

I am so pleased to read that you are making good progress.

Take good care and also take your time and have lots of rest. You know in your mind that you just cannot hurry healing, take the slower scenic route and make time to enjoy the journey to full recovery.

Best wishes

Chris
 
Great report! I was afraid Watson, Poncha and Lefty had run off with you.
Do not let PT get too enthusiastic just because you are ahead of the curve. Tell them to buzz off if they want you to do anything that hurts, okay?
Snow storm---hard to imagine.
 
Hi Beth, glad all is well with you and you are ticking over nicely. I sort of miss the odd zone.....I slept better during the first 8 weeks post-surgery than I normally do. Now its back to my usual post-menopausal insomnia. Major kudos to your PT for keeping you on the straight and narrow. May the force continue to be with you....
 
Beth, love the wise words... I would like a dollar for every time I have written them...

Sow and steady wins the race, it is a marathon not a sprint...

Your hardware is for life, so zone out babe and ice.. Hugs from down under xx
 
Beth, sounds like you're doing great! Picking up stuff off the floor - yay! Just don't let hubby see you do it, he'll never clean up another spill again! :whistle:

Once you start walking a bit on your own and Righty gets into shape, that knee pain should diminish (mine did).

Sounds like your pain meds are doing exactly what they are supposed to do - keep you fuzzy headed enough to keep you from over doing, but allowing you to move about more freely. :yes!:

You're doing awesome, warrior! Soon Watson will be a close friend again (for a short while) and you'll be freeeeeeee to get in that kayak that's waiting for you!
 
Beth, it is 46 degrees here this morning and I'm going paddling, brrrrrrr! Will send good kayaking thoughts your way.
 
well it is 2 weeks today, and am doing well just over did it a bit and had to recoup using 2 crutches on Wednesday and part of Thursday. PT says most of my pain is coming from my IT band and the nerves. She hates when I talk about a tearing felling, because she get scared, so I said it reminded me of the Vacinations we would get as children with the circular needle ridden boosters, just a lot bigger and many more needles. That pain only occurs on movement and is either lower front to side of thigh and outside of knee. The other pain is more achy, asked Doctor for Vicodin as the Oxycodone was a bit of an overkill, but needed more than the motrin/tylenol.
On Monday walked the longest I have walked in @ 2 years with PT and 1 crutch and than repeated it myself the next day, couple that with up and down stairs for laundry, cooking and vacuuming ended up in pain, so took it slow and now pretty much back up to speed

What I can do now
Shower, Yayyyy
Laundry, but with limitations now
raise my knees to the top of my counter now, PT said that is more than normal so stop trying to go higher
Side lifts, are not my forte yet, only able to move out a little and pain ensues
She does not want me do to clamshells yet, and gave my leg a nice massage
Swelling gets to much for undies yet, so am hopign to go out this weekend, but not sure what modesty may dictate.
PT wants me to also use heat do get the circulation going, any one use the ice and heat?

nerdgrrl so much better than the other surgery, but different pain also
dede62, thanks for the encouragement, even lefty protested my overdoing it a bit this week. Watson is ready to get to work as soon as I am ready
sissy46 I am so ready for my kayak. When asked what I wanted to accomplish I said to get up off the floor as then I know that I will be able to get in and out of my kayak. It has cooled of here again, so am hoping for some warm weather. The tulips and crocuses are coming out though.
Vida the cancer surgery through me into menopause full force, thankfully now I do not really have any issues with the menopause. Those nightsweats and the dizziness really drove me crazy
 
Beth, did the PT actually have you use the balance board on Tuesday? That would have tipped me over into the over-doers club! Good that you're pushing your boundaries; bad that you've paid the price. Hope you're feeling better today and it was truly muscle soreness and rebuilding. How often are you doing PT?

Always good news about the shower! So glad you are doing so well! Keep up the restraint (aka inner rule follower) - you're doing great! :egypdance:
 
You're feeling well enough to over-do it! That's a good sign, just don't go too far.
I did think of you today; it warmed up nicely and the gators and turtles were out. See Facebook, I posted a few pictures.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom