Guest viewing is limited

THR My Journey begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
bellaroma it sounds like you're doing really well. What a great feeling to be able to walk around, comfortably without any aids. Continue to become stronger and you will be kayak before you know it. I am learning so much from your experience to know what I am going to go through soon, thanks for all the information.
 
Wow, great report! You are really making progress. It sounds like you will be kayaking soon.
 
Hi Guys, Well it is 5 weeks today for my right hip and 28 weeks for left and I am happy to report that my good cane Watson is only providing backup. For the most part I am not using the cane except is pain really escalates and gait goes off. I bring it on walks and somenight have to use if I have done alot during the day.
Saw the doctor yesterday and he is pleased with my gait and ROM and hope that in the next couple of weeks the isses with the numbness and the IT band will go away and then I will return to work.
I start outpatient PT on Wednesday and hope the place is good, you only work with the PT and they are located in a fitness center, so we will see.
Trying to walk as much as I can, squats are getting easier, but quite often to contiunue moving around by the late afternoon I need to take a Vicodin and put some BioFreeze gel on.
Purchased another FitBit electronic pedometer as my old one from my active days got put in the washing and died, so that I can ensure that I am moving enough and hopefully begin to go back to the active lifestyle I one had. Came yesterday. I think it will be awhile till I get to the over 10,000 a day again, but it gives me something to work for

Will be glad when I get feeling back on my skin on the outside of my thigh and get the IT band behaving, but I am able to move so no complaints.

Forgot to add that I can almost totally normally put on my sock by putting my foot on my knee, and just came back from a short walk and saw the first Egret of the season. Summer is coming and my kayak is calling. Believe it or not muscles in both legs are tired as they try to get active after years of inactivity
 
Like, Like, Like!!! I'm so glad you're doing so well. You must get someone to take pictures ( maybe not hubby, as he could drop the camera:heehee:) the first time you get out with your kayak.
 
Wah Hoo! What a great report. You are going to be ready for that kayak within the month, I'd say... Glad to hear you've mastered those socks!! :tada:

Oh, dear Watson; bless his metallic soul. :spin:
 
Remember in the old days how people would bronze baby's first shoes and sit them on the mantel or the piano? Well...does Watson deserve any less honor?
 
I use my walking sticks and walker for all sorts of things around the house.. have become quite inventive... plan to get my monies worth out of them
 
Poppet Hmmph! an alternate career may be okay for the average walking stick, but Watson deserves to retire to a place of honor where his feats and loyal service may be remembered for posterity.
 
Beth, I hope all is well with you and yours and you're safe and sound. What dreadful news coming from your area...
 
Thanks, dede62 and Poppet. I did not go to the marathon and did not run in it yet and very fortunately those I knew who went and a couple who ran are all okay. I live about an hour from Boston, but when back at work I go into the city two to three times a week. I can not believe that it happend and my heart is heavy for the victims, even little children. As I work in a state building the security has been increased ten fold from what I have heard,

On a brighter note, my new hips are learning to get back endurance, but I know it will be a while and I can now walk 1.2 miles now, as I made my 6 week mark for my right hip and 29th for the left. Started outpatient PT and he massages with his knuckles as Josephine has talked about and I think nerdgrrl, boy you all were not kidding. It feels like a red hot poker instead of a knuckle. He is concerned with the tightness in both my legs and believe it or not my left hip has left strenght than the right in a forward kick, but myu left was worse for alonger time. He was very pleased with my gait, taking it slow with sideways moves as there is still alot of sweeling and pain on the side of my thigh with numbness, which I sure wish would go aways. My cane Watson, sticks around for protection, but is only used very occasionally when I have walked too much. I do take him on my walks with me as I am walking alone and would rather have him if my leg give me trouble, but so far he hgas been more of a baton. I am waiting on the doc to give me clearance to return to work, he has been wanting me to take full advantge of the time off to stregthen my legs, before I return to sedentary work and driving all over. Rehab bootcamp continues
 
Great to hear you are ok Beth..

I can just picture you with Watson as your baton :rotfl:
 
bellaroma The news coming from Boston is devastating. I hope they are able to find those responsible soon. I read about how your PT is progressing, I think mine will be about the same. My leg muscles have become quite stiff and as I work them they get very sore. The knuckle massages hurt but they make the muscles feel better. I do that to myself now when I run my hand down my leg and a hit a spot that's sore. My surgeon told my husband my surgery was a difficult one for him because of the tightness. How long have you been off work?
 
Beth, glad to hear all is good on the homefront.

Sounds like you're progressing nice and carefully through the PT. We know we have that broad window before things truly get back to "normal". With my foot fiasco, the muscles above my hip (right at the crest) are so sore as is my right knee now that I've created the artificial LLD with the stupid boot.

Cheers to you and Watson!
 
Beth- glad to hear you and those you know are ok!

Massage has really helped me, although parts have moved from knuckle massage to elbow! I hope it is really helping your hips loosen up in the right way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom