Guest viewing is limited

THR My Journey begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beth, so glad the nausea is going away. Hopefully in a few days you'll feel much better being at home and be a few more days out from all of the anesthesia drugs.

Make sure hubby is on spill patrol or we'll have to bring our canes and whack him a time or two. Worst case we could threaten the wedgy; it sems to have worked for your doctor!

Snuggle up with the kitties and keep comfy!
 
Wow thats a rapid recovery, I hope the nausea gives up and as sissy asked I guess you have no wieght restrictions apart from using some support. Wishing you sunshine so you can heal the matching pair on your deck enjoying the sun and planing your walks in the sand.
 
Beth, just stopping by to see how you are faring. I am so happy to see that this one seems to be going off without a hitch. You will feel like a million bucks before you know it. Remember to medicate, elevate and ice that new hip of yours.

Tammy
 
How are you this Tuesday morning? Inquiring minds want to know all the details.
BTW, did you ask your OS when you'd be able to go kayaking with your new hip?
 
Well got home yesterday, was able to get in and out of the car without much difficulty, much easier than the last time. What is new? First, no weight bearing restrictions so the sky is the limit, much less pain, much easier time walking, I can already only use 1 crutch for a good amount of time. Lefty has been a wonder, supporting his younger sister righty in every way. After all Lefty will be 20 weeks this Friday and Righty will only be a week old. Left is a little jealous though that Righty received a ceramic ball while he only got the Titanium, but he isn't letting that stop him from letting Righty lean on him and he is doing a great job as poor Righty could barely stand on her own when Lefty was recovering. Right's surgery was over 4 hours, longer than Lefty’s and she sure is showing more bruising and swelling, but a lot less pain. The anesthesiologist who did the spinal had some issues, I guess with my fused spine and scoliosis as she stabbed me quite a few times and my back looks like a bruised pin cushion. Woke up once during the surgery, but just saw blue wrap around my head and then back out to la la land. My arm veins blew so my arms look like I got into quite a scrap, even have bruises on my upper arm, can not quite figure that one out, but that is not big deal at all, while I look like I was in a fight, I feel much, much , much better this time around.:yay: :yay:
The Lefty Righty thing is the only way I could cover both stories, but I do realize that if someone does not understand what I am referring to I will end up with a new warrior name, the schizoid. :yikes:
Sleeping a lot and moving around, slow and steady.
Thanks my Warrior sisters, sissy46; dede62; nerdgrrl; Poppet
 
I've been patiently waiting for stairs but know I know I'm not ready for it yet. So happy you are home. I know from experience that its better to heal there. How have you made the transition between the two places? I'm sure ill miss people taking care of me but only when I want then there. Take care and good luck!
 
Stupid meds, forgot to thanks long lost Damn!; and puddle fish; and also the hopsital had a new safety feature this time around, if you left the bed or the chair you were placed on it rang a darned alarm throughout the whole ward! well I certainly behaved like a brat with that one as just to sit up on the bed the thing would go off, so they turned it off on my bed, once they realized there was no way off keeping me down, and I removed the sentry pad from the chair, then I was back and forth till my rear was content, tried to let them let me walk to the cafeteria but they wouldn't let me get away with that one, and I figured if they had rigged the bed and chairs so well, I could only imagine what would have happened if I attempted to go on the elevator. probably start blue lights flashing and put the whole place in lockdown.

And the last thing I forgot, was, protein, figs and prunes before surgery and continuing after surgery resulted in operation success on accomplishing number 2. Now no nausea and plumbing is clean

Very Glad to know you are okay Tammy
 
Beth, although you're bruised and beaten, you've slain the dragon! Wow, 4 hours is a long time. You probably woke up saying, "what's taking so long!" Apparently they've had some escapes in the past so you got the fallout of those sentry pads! Must be something in the Boston water making you all so eager to get moving! Hubby obviously didn't bring one home with him, so he'll have to keep an eye on you! However you've escaped from their clutches (probably caused that upper arm bruising) and are now safely tucked in at home!

Hey, maybe you can come up with a warrior recipe incorporating your new favvorite foods - protein, figs, and prunes. I actually have a pork chop recipe that has prunes and olives in it (creates a nice sweet and savory thing going on).
 
You would have needed someone else to act as a diversion so you could make a break for the lift. :scary: fingers crossed that it goes smoothly with this hip.
 
I'm glad you're out of lock-down, Beth! I thought about you while I was paddling my back yard lake today. It won't be long!
 
Wow, sound like you are doing very well! Maybe not a candidate for a photo shoot right now, but otherwise good! Did they say why the surgery took so long? The sentry pads would have driven me nuts, too. Also, was there a reason for switching to ceramic ball? I have ceramic ball myself, but just curios why the switch. Won't be long now until you are out kayaking!
 
OMG Beth.. they gave you the crazy lady treatment! Whatever did you do to deserve that? My father-in-law has one of those, but he's 88, in extended care and wanders. I set it off every time I visit.

First things first. Congratulations on blowing through surgery so brilliantly. No breaks...that's wonderful. I told you I didn't see any wire in your future. Second, I tried to follow the righty/lefty thingy...I understand you are currently on drugs. Now I know why they gave you the bed alarm. Third, I hope you are getting comfy at home in your recovery pod. You bilats (with space between) really have it all sorted out. Bowels clean? Check. Fat pants ready? Check. Husband bringing ice packs when you ring a bell? Check. Now get better ASAP so we can all go kayaking this summer, one big, happy loop of hippie kayakers straddling the globe. The future beckons and there is water in it. Vicki xxxx
 
You know, Beth, I'm wondering just what you did during those 4 hours. We know you woke up once. We know you have bruised upper arms. We know they put you on sentry pads in case of escape afterwards. Did you tear up the OR? Is your OS on crutches now? Anesthesiologist with broken nose? Did the OR nurses all resign after your THR?

Vida when does your kayaking season begin in Vancouver? Of course it is endless down here. I'm guessing Beth will be out with her Tarpon by May, if not sooner.
 
Beth! I am thrilled for you. You know the drill to recovering from this surgery, and you're FINALLY doing it! Isn't it wonderful when we have a physical problem that can be fixed? Congratulations!
 
I will post an update a little later, as have been wiped today and hubby is on business trip, so all alone, with many ice packs as swelling is a bear today.

For the record Vida and sissy46 they use the sentry alarms on the whole ward now, so inspite of my incoherency it wasn't just me, even though I think someone might have spilled the beans about my ability to wield my forearm crutches and grab bar.:angel: actually I was just a complete angel
 
I will post an update a little later, as have been wiped today and hubby is on business trip, so all alone, with many ice packs as swelling is a bear today.

For the record Vida and sissy46 they use the sentry alarms on the whole ward now, so inspite of my incoherency it wasn't just me, even though I think someone might have spilled the beans about my ability to wield my forearm crutches and grab bar.:angel: actually I was just a complete angel
I'm sorry your hubby isn't around to help out. I hope he gets back soon and does his nursing duty!
:yes!: Funny, I found the walker so much easier to use than a crutch. The first cane I used had a big platform with 4 legs!
 
bellaroma
Hi Beth
I'm so glad that there had been no breaks at this surgery.
We have a similarity with the implants. My new one is ceramic as well and the old one is titanium :-)
Take care
selin
 
sissy46 Its cold and wet here as usual and our season officially opens April 1, except for absolute diehards and practicing dragon boat teams. We have a couple of single ocean kayaks and are pretty much fair-weather paddlers. I expect to be ready physically in another few weeks, am practicing sitting on something approximating my position in the cockpit! My husband has them slung up high under the roof of our garage so I can't sit in the real thing until he's ready to roll them out.
 
Your kayaks are the Ocean brand sit-on-tops, Vida? Beth's Tarpon is also a SOT, and so is my Hurricane Phoenix. I also have a lovely little solo pack canoe. You have a long winter, but from what I've heard, living in Vancouver would be worth it. Beautiful city.

How you doing this evening, Beth? Has the swelling gone down? I had very impressive swelling on about the 6th post-op day and my PT said she often sees that with anteriors---something about a hematoma pressing on lymphatic system---but it subsided within a day or so and I've had no swelling since. Elevate, ice, and get hubby to massage foot and calf.
 
Beth, sounds like you are coming along. Here's to a speedy recovery...
Gretchen
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom