Guest viewing is limited

THR My Journey begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
dede62 yes, balance board on Tuesday , but it wasn't what I thought, just a foam bar with 1 side flat and the other rounded, stood on each side 30 seconds time 3
 
Hey warrior girl.... I have been MIA, but just wanted to check in with to see how you are doing :)....
 
Beth- I have had a kind of burning sensation in the thigh as well, but higher up- sort of off center to the outside of the front of the quad. As I am able to move more and do the foam roller, and possibly just the general passage of time, it is slowly disappearing. Hoping yours is just a temporary thing of nerves being weird. It may be the swelling is causing discomfort? Good to hear you are feeling well enough to over do it, but sorry you overdid it.
 
Yeah I've learned it's quite easy to overdo it. Hoping to start outpatient pt this week, but the guy at rehab worked me hard. Is it strange that I kind of miss him? Did they make you use parallel bars? If I never have to see them again ill be happy. There was a giant mirror im front of them too so I got to always look at my fat thighs. :boohoo:
 
Hi Guys, Well it is 3 weeks today for my right hip and 26 weeks since left hip was done. nerdgrrl very glad to report that the nerve pain is lessening some, leg still quite sore along the outer side to the knee, and what drives me crazy is the pain along the bottom buttocks as I finally realized that that is what is making it very uncomfortable to ever stay in 1 position long. It is very tender to the touch, one of the main reasons I started to go on my stomach, but it doesn't seem to affect me when walking, just if I put pressure on it. My recovery I see will not be as glorious as sissy46 but I do feel overall it is going sooo much better than the last.
Update for Right
Using cane instead of crutch in the house.
Able to take some steps unaided, but then there is a limp. I have worked real hard to learn to walk correctly, so I will be patient with the walking aids. Most important is my heel to toe, back straight mantra
PT is the same lady I had last time, so she is working with both legs, which is great, Lefty got to work out on a more challenging balance board to build strength, and my right hip works on the easier balance board.
I can now do some squats
Able to go up and down stairs normally with aid
I pretty much can do all the household chores, just slowly and in moderation
I did break the rules though and drove my car a couple of miles, after accessing in the driveway if I could hit my brake and gas pedal. Husband left me with nothing to drink and I do not like plain water.
My biggest issue on range of motion are the sideway movement. I can not move my leg out more than a few inches. Think it is due to the 4 hours I was on the table and the trauma to the muscles. As Josephine said, you were hammered, drilled, banged etc. What do you expect, of course there will be pain. Love that post :thud:
Brain less fuzzy and working a bit from home.
Blues have not been as bad this time either
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey begins Great update, Beth. You are just doing so well---really happy for you that this recovery is better than last---of course, you learned a lot about recovery from the first hip. Keep up the good work and you'll be leaping short buildings in no time.

Take care---keep us up to date. We care. [Bonesmart.org] My Journey begins
 
bellaroma do you have a lot of work to do with muscles that have not been used for so long? That's my hold up. My operated leg isn't strong enough to hold up my weight without the aide of a cane. I have to do exercises to strengthened them. I wonder if my next operation will be the same. I had my weakest leg operated on first so I'm hoping that my next leg will bounce back quickly. I lost ROM in both legs so that bad for both of them. My ROM is like your's with outward movement.
 
Beth, it sounds like you are doing great! What a lot you've been through, with Lefty getting broken and Poncho no help at all---thank goodness for Watson. And then Lefty, while still an amateur, having to rise to the occasion and be the good leg to stand on for Poncho.
I heard the song Poncho and Lefty on the way home from Cedar Key today---"Lefty, he can't sing the blues, all night long like he used to...."
Thought of you while paddling rivers near Cedar Key. Lots of wildlife, as you've seen on FB, and I just posted an adorable Barred Owl for Joeski who's getting his new hip next Wednesday.
 
sandybeach, yes there was alot of muscle loss. Over the last 2 years, I rapidly went down from being an active person to someone who could not do anything. I gained weight, always had been a struggle and with out being able to exercise or even move much the weight crept back up. When I had my left done which was considered the worst one, beside having the fracture my already weak right hip, threw in the towel with being on the wieghtbearing restrictions for 8 weeks. When I was off the restrictions I fairly quickly got of walking devices on my left hip, but had to use them for my right. I couldn't walk much still because of my right, but tried to strengthen my left in isloation. I would work on just standing on my left leg, at first only a few second, I also did alot of clamshells. At this stage in your recovery you may not be able to do so yet, so ask you PT how you can safely work on building the muscle in your operated hip. I also had the advantage in having a slightly longer time in between surgeries, but it did seem that while I was 50% weightbearing that that was wasted time, and firmly believe that I would have been much farther along without the restriction, so it might be an even draw. Make sure that every hour you get up if you can and walk a little, it doesn't have to be much, if it's an exercise an you can only do 1 then so be it, if it is only a walk to the bathroom that is okay too. Just keep trying to use the leg, not with huge pain, but just consitently. My muscles in my left hip came back enough that I am much better able to support my right hip now than my right hip was ever able to support my left, and yes there is still some pain in my left and sometimes the muscles seemed to be screaming from lack of use, but that to me was healing. You need to know the pain that says this is not good and the discomfort that we all go through. I am not an expert by any means and sometimes I do too much, and sometimes I do too little, but the thing is to keep trying to move. My right hip is getting stronger everyday, not at the speed I would like but better, the left hip is also doing better, expecially since it is doing alot of work. As my muscles are comiing back their is discomfort, like now in the pelvic area, but I don't let it get too bad, then I stop what I am doing and rest it. I hope this helps you. I know I still have along way to go and babysteps are the rule, higher stairs on my left are a nightmare as my muscles have not devloped enough again, but I can do lower stairs, so it is a process, just don't give up and try to streghtnhen your new hip as much as you can before your next surgery. I do not post as much as I used to but I will be here to help you.
ps: This may sound silly, but is you can't do to much this helps. when your sitting down or walking around, just tighten up you belly mucles or you posterir it helps buildd and loosen the muscles and increases your core
 
Good report, Beth! Sounds like you are progressing along nicely. By the time it warms up a bit, you will be ready for the Kayak, I bet.
 
Beth that's a great update for week 3. Wow, week 3 already... You're doing great and getting stronger every day. That was quite the impressive list of things you can do, even the driving. :whistle: Glad to hear your pal Watson is by your side to help you get to the next level. I still think he's grateful to you for watching out for him and any fashion faux pas! :heehee:

Posting less means you're getting back to your life again. It's been a long haul for you that's for sure! Check in when you can and keep that list of can-do's coming!

:flwrysmile:
 
bellaroma Thanks for the information. You and I are so much alike with our hip history. My muscle pain in both of them makes me sometimes not know what I should do. The bad one is complaining and the good one is not happy either. Do your legs seem the same length? My newly operated one feels shorter although the at PT the therapist said they look the same. My surgeon said he made the leg with the new hip longer.... I must be twisting my pelvic area a lot to have that feeling. I am going to take your advice about working the stomach and butt muscles when sitting and getting up to use that new hip often. Continue to post how you are doing, I'm learning a lot about what I will be going through in a couple weeks through your experience. But I know I have to really concentrate on getting my new hip stronger for what it's in for with my next surgery.
 
Hi Guys, Well it is 4 weeks today for my right hip and 27 weeks since left hip was done and all is pretty well. PT does joke with me as the back of my leg also has some real sensitivity, main reason I can never really get comfortable, but it doesn't bother me except when I am laying or sitting on it. The numbness is still in full force and is much greater than on the left, as the numbness was gone by the time I saw my DOC well I still don't see the Doc until next Thursday. I can now:
Walk around the house with no aid for a pretty good amount of time
I can walk more than I have in the last 2 years and more than last week
I can do squats, while certainly not to low and on some days I can not as the mucles and nerves on the side of my newest hip are still pretty inflamed
I can balance on a foam wedge holding an 8 pound medicine ball and move from side to side
Can move my newest hip sideways while standing and some while laying down
I have been going out for about 4 to 5 hours with alot of walking and doing okay
Stairs are doing well, going up them normally most of the time
Evenings are still hard and I need to take Vicodin most of the time in order to be active, except when I drive, like today, another short drive to pick up pastries for the holiday, also hard if I have done too much the precedding day, but that it to be expected
This hip is alot different than the last as the pain areas are so different, but while I may be numb, sore and swollen still it is so much better than being on weightbearing restrictions for 8 weeks.
Energy
I am biting at the bit to try to get up from the floor, and almost gave my PT woman a heart attack by trying to do it on my bed. I think she had images of me standing up on the bed and crashing down, oh well I tried. I know if I can get up off the floow then I can get up from my kayak
My left hip is getting a bit sore from the new activities, but it is a good thing as I can now really truly start rehabilitation with my 2 new hips and the water awaits me

sissy46 dede62 nerdgrrl you will never know how much I truly appreciate my warriors pals

sandybeach my left seemed longer at first and then it got more level, now both legs are pretty much dead on, maybe a slight lengthing on the right, but experience tells me it will all balance out.

Just wish the spasms would end and I could could rest comfortably, but I guess I just need patience, because I am walking really good. PT says you would never know I had mny hips replaced
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey begins
Great update, Beth! Yep, no two hips alike (knees are the same way). But everything sounds like its falling nicely into place for you. So more TIME and PATIENCE will get you to your destination.


Take care and keep posting. We care. [Bonesmart.org] My Journey begins
 
Great report, Beth!
Now, getting on and off your Tarpon will be much easier than getting up off the floor, you know? Just have it in knee deep water, stand with your back to it, and sit down and swing your legs in. Reverse for getting out. The beauty of a sit-on-top. By the time the water is warm enough, I know you'll be ready.
 
sissy46 That sounds simple enough, but my track record with toilets and wedgies reminds me that getting down has never been an issue, but getting up has been a totally different manner :cry: Seriously I will get in and out of my kayak if it kills me, but know my getting up muscles need much work
 
Oh yeah, I forgot about the wedgie. Maybe by now your OS has invented some sort of hoist that would work. Or you could just wear your PFD and sort of float off in deeper water and swim to shore.
Hey, you are a warrior! and you will prevail!
 
Hi Beth, I think about you a lot and am so happy to see you doing so well. NO LLD already.... that's brilliant. I have to agree about the wasted time on restricted weight bearing. I believe that's why physio at the 2 month mark was so painful for me, I was too weak. I can't tell you how much I improved when I dumped physio and started doing what my hip naturally wanted me to do: the stationary bike and 'walnut-walk' as instructed by dear Anniepops. Given your motivation, we will be comparing our water entries in no time flat. I didn't kayak at all last year.. can't wait to get going but my husband is now the one placing restrictions. Maybe I can convince him I'm strong enough next weekend as we are now having glorious weather here in Vancouver. Take care. Vicki
 
Yay, Beth! It is so good to read how well you're doing. At this point I don't think it will be long before you are able to do your up and downs from the floor. You'll be amazed that even shallow squats can really strengthen your quads. I also found the single leg step ups (forward, backwards, and sideways) really helped as well. Pretty soon that kayak will be a new appendage and then there will be no stopping you.

[Bonesmart.org] My Journey begins


You continue to improve and your can-do list keeps growing! I know you are still icing :wink: and the tired evenings will diminish soon (no really they will!).

I'm glad the warriors had a chance to grow together through each other's recoveries! HBFF's forever!
:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom