THR My Journey begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not whining at all just sharing your feelings :-) hugs to you. Admitting its hard going and wanting a bit of sympathy is as good for healing as the pain meds.
 
Hi Beth, I have been reading about your hip journey and am so impressed with your attitude through such a difficult recovery. Also you have come so far with Lefty! Good luck with your surgery on 3/1, you deserve to have an easy time for hip 2.
 
Thanks, Katlover13, I hope the next surgery goes off without a hitch, but I am so happy with the freedom of pain and movement in my new hip, that I will take what may come. That does not mean that if this femur fractures also that I will not have a hissy fit:hissy:, and post some whines. I know in the end it will get me my life back
 
Hey Beth! How are you and Watson doing? Is righty hanging in there and not feeling too cranky? Not long now!

I hope you weren't on the road too much this week. Has it warmed up a little there? We've finally drifted closer to our normal temps and are having a little heat wave in the 50s. Here's hoping this month goes well for you leading up to number two! Check in when you can.
 
Hi Beth, you must be counting down the days now to getting the new hip. I have my fingers crossed that your next recovery will be quick and painless....and fracture free. I can't wait to hear what you get in to the next time. Watch out for those low seats :heehee:
 
Well had my pre-op and GP visit on Monday, my hospital bed is coming on the 28th so getting ready, and can hardly wait. I have been doing a lot of driving with work and also did a split at 2 in the morning on some water hubby spilled on the floor, but lefty stood up to it all, unfortunately can not say the same for righty, limping about on righty even with Watson's assistance the last few days, between the fall and the steroid shots wearing off, Right is not happy. Things I will do a little different this time:

To assist in the medication-induced constipation (impaction was not fun):
Clear out my bowels thoroughly prior to surgery
Drink a lot more water

To fight the nausea, not sure how to handle that one, thought that maybe taking an oxycodone at night a few days before will get me use to it again and asking the nurses to only give me one at first after the surgery, because seeing I will have a spinal the only thing I can think of producing the nausea was the oxycodone, Josephine, do you think that is what it was? I had a spinal so when I first work up from surgery felt great and no nausea

dede62 still pretty cranky and my hip too. Hope you are doing well and am envious of you 50 degree weather, still 20 to low 30's here, with severe wind chills, and lots of snow flurries. With the better weather I hope you are able to get some walks in with hubby.

Damn! , great to hear from you! They always say to go after the low hanging fruits first, but let me tell you anything low hanging I am staying the heck away from. My elevated loo raiser is ready to go and no trips to anywhere with low ones. I will probably get into less antics than before, now that I have gone beyond amateur standing, but knowing me I will once again attempt to write some history. I know now to avoid broken eggs on floor, no changing light bulbs, thanks to you and to use my grabber with pride, skill and tenacity. I think I will also get another grabber this time around, so there will be no stopping me, and God help the person who doesn't let me use crutches and tries to make me use the dang walker, as my pinky is still numb. Walkers and me do not get along, also it is a lot harder to hit some one with a walker that with the elbow crutch. Just cannot get that good momentum going into the swing with the walker.
 
Is this the same hubby that dropped the two eggs? And your cats are too fine to lap up water, too, I suppose. Dang, girl, you live in a mine field! Be careful.

Counting down the days with you (22 left) and so hoping your recovery this time is as easy as mine. I can't advise about the nausea, since I didn't have any, except make sure you don't take meds on an empty stomach, and remember this is the opportunity of a lifetime to indulge on Haagen-Dasz.

You say you are cranky, but I think you've been very mature and patient about this whole process. And it has paid off, too, with Lefty's success. Your OS should appreciate the fact you didn't whack him after he broke your leg AND gave you a wedgie!

Seriously, you are due for some good luck and easy times.
 
Beth, I hope February goes quickly for you. It is easier to prepare for the second replacement when you know what to expect. Before mine I rearranged my drawers so the things I would need were at the top and made sure a lot of toilet paper was within easy reach of the commode. The little things you don't think of unless you're a hippie.
One thing that I believe made a big difference was my diet. After the first surgery I was very light headed and nausious in the hospital, probably due to low blood pressure and red blood count. Before this surgery I ate A LOT of protein and foods high in iron. It seemed to have really helped, the only nausia I experienced was because of the anesthesia.
 
Beth, so did hubby get a whack with Watson for being careless and not cleaning up after himself? If you didn't, give him one for me right now! Paybacks are heck! Men, humphh! Tell him you don't appreciate the booby traps. Hehe, I just had a memory flash - I remember when my grandmother was quite old and she was staying at my uncle's house, she would whack my cousins (mostly the boys) when they would walk past her for no good reason. I was a young teenager at the time. I swear there was a twinkle in her eye when she did it! You could take a page and say that Watson slipped...

Only thing I can recommend regarding the nausea is to let everyone caring for you that it's been an issue in the past and that they need to be more profilactic (sp?) about it (maybe a scopolomine patch or other anti-nausea meds at the ready). Crackers, ginger tea, Haagen Daas, whatever works!

Hope the weather cooperates for any of your road trips.
 
I highly recommend prune juice and prunes for the constipation. I was eating several prunes as "dessert" after every meal, plus prune juice with every meal. Good thing I like them!

I can't believe you survived the splits. I couldn't survive that even in my younger more flexible days!

On the nausea, make sure the anesthesiologist knows about your past problems. They can try to change things up and hopefully you won't have it this time!

You will be in and out of surgery soon! It must seem like forever right now, but it will be here soon.
 
Well, today marks my 15th week since Lefty was reborn and 3 weeks to go for Righty new birth. Lefty is doing great, few twinges here and there, some swelling on occasion, but seeing shes doing all the leg work right now. I can not complain. Righty is still recovering from her split. nerdgrrl, I never was a gymanast myself, but the fall was more like the picture below, just picture my archer post a lot closer to the ground. I guess that was one way to increase the range of motion in Righty. (Righty did the split part).
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey begins

sissy46; you really make me smile, hubby did try to defend and protect after the incident, as he threw me on the bed and said don't move. The cats said the water in their bowl was much better, and little princess says she only drinks water from the bathroom sink. I will be minesweeping the house prior to surgery.

dede62; Naw, didn't sic Watson on hubby, as I need him in good shape for the surgery. Grandma is so right, to have that twinkle. Hubby's time will come :angel:

nerdgrrl; I plan on purchasing stock options on prune suppliers, don't want the difficulties I had last time

Katlover13; thanks for the support I am also buying cattle future in order to have fiber and protien my friends.

Well, In Massachusetts we are waiting for our blizzard now, and could be up to 3 feet of snow. We'll see, but at least I had no work today :yay: . The next 2 hours it is supposed to start being real bad, hubby is on his way home as they let him out of work early. Hoping no power outages, but ready to hunker down and wait out the blizzard.
 
Twenty-one and counting down.
Enjoy your blizzard; fireplace, hot chocolate, remorseful hubby, warm kitties, good book....
 
Beth, hopefully it won't get too bad. I'm sure you're all stocked up on the important things like Haagen Dazs! Hopefully hubby is home safe and sound!
 
Happy Birthday! I know, all you want is a new right hip, and you're getting one in just two weeks, yoo-hoo! Is Lefty still behaving? Are Watson and Pancha still a team?
 
Let the countdown begin... 10 and a wakeup! I know you can't wait and neither can the warriors! It's like waiting for Xmas morning!!! Hope work isn't too bad and the roads are cooperating for your travels. How's lefty feeling these days? I'm guessing Watson's in good form and standing by for action. Glad you got those new tips!
 
Just dropping by to say hi, and hope all your final prep is going well. I guess you are/were pretty much all ready, since you just had lefty done not that long ago.
 
I can not believe how the time is flying, so much to do for work, before I head out. At home I am having the opposite problem, like you said nerdgrrl, I should be ready, so I keep thinking that everything is done, so I am doing nothing in prep for the next surgery, unless you count me buying more canned soups yesterday. I do have to do some extra cleaning, as hubby is not prefect in that area, so want the house to at least be clean, when I get home.

dede62, have to admit travel still tightness up both Lefty and Righty, but can't complain about Lefty, little twinges here and there. Do notice that my left is still quite weak if I try to go up a stair without pulling up on the rail, but figure once Righty is done, I can then really focus on fixing my muscles. Lefty gets to stand up alone a lot, as I figure by standing on the 1 leg, it will make it easier after surgery. Righty has been a pain, literally. Still grumpier than usual

sissy46, Thanks for the birthday wishes, I know soon I will have a lot of time, but right now keep running around. I am planning on bringing down shorts with my surgery clothes, hoping the weather gets warmer, still snow and cold.
Well husband is on his way home and have to get supper going.
You guys are great, sorry I have not been able to get online as much as I want.
 
A week from tomorrow---who knew March would get here so fast?
Righty's days are numbered, but good Lefty and Watson will show new Righty the way.
Have you started a pre-op thread, or will you just continue this one?
 
bellaroma I would suggest you stay with this thread, you are so close now :)

How long will you be able to take off for recovery?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom