THR My Journey begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Beth. We had a great time.
I don't think you can beat a Tarpon 140, except for the heavy weight, and you said that isn't a problem since you keep it by the water.
Hurricane is coming out with two new SOT models, called Skimmers, which are supposed to be faster than the Phoenix SOTs, and I'd like to demo them. Speed is not an issue for me, unless I'm paddling with people who have much faster boats.
 
Beth,

I LOVE your list! I have found myself getting whiny a few times during the past two weeks, especially noticing my impatience with my mood. You have been very kind to me and I appreciate your support. I don't know what it would be like to have a break in the femur - I do have a friend that had one and it complicated her recovery by a few weeks. I hope that you can ease into this next surgery and that it goes easily for you ao you can kayak this summer!
 
Hiya Beth, just checking in to see how your week has gone. One more to the weekend!

I started back again yesterday and I was pretty tired after I got home. Made the mistake of stopping for a few things on the way home by myself. I'm taking hubby and my trusty cane with me to Costco sometime this weekend. I make him do the lifting and toting! I just monitor what goes in the cart so he doesn't go crazy. What is it with guys that hate to shop, but when you take them with you, initially kicking and screaming, that they then feel like they've been locked in a closet and have to get every thing in sight. I think the conversation starts like, "I didn't know they had/made that!"
:headbang:
 
Well, its been 11 weeks today and its 8 weeks today till the next surgery. Started using the cane otherwise known as Watson, only this week and am doing pretty good, except when I first get up. I am going to an outlet mall this weekend and may bring the crutch in case my leg acts up to much. I should be getting the surgery package from the doctor either today or tommorrow, but now I am an Old Salt at that, so beside house cleaning and moving some sweatpants and hoodies downstrairs, I am set with supplies. Like all of us at time, I get frustrated that I am not whre I would like to be, but am looking forward to the summer where I should be good to go with my 2 shiny hips.

I also have a question for those who had right hips done, what was your time in getting back to driving?

dede62, I feel bad for you. I worked New Years Eve so didn't have much of a break, which is helping me get used to the grind, I am still pretty tired at the end of the day, and I applaud you courage in going to Costco after work. I couldn't do it, especially as when the hubby goes with me, he says he hates shopping tooo, but he looks and examines everything in the store, and I have to remember to be kind, because by the end of the day, I am quite grouchy. How is the driving going.
 
I also have a question for those who had right hips done, what was your time in getting back to driving?

My mother in law passed 2 weeks after my surgery. So it was drive, or get stuck at the funeral home longer than I felt I could sit down. A neighbor offerred to rescue me, but she likes to be home by dark, so I practiced the afternoon of the wake (I'd had my PT help me with the transfer routine earlier in the day). I did ok, so at about 2 1/2 weeks, i drove for the first time. I did good on short trips but my first trip to Sam's Club alone knocked the stuffing out of me! Bellaroma, I must say, I am so impressed with how you're handling your injury, past surgery, and looking forward to finally being able to heal completely after the next surgery. I'm looking forward to seeing you post after the right hip is done. I think you'll do great.
 
Beth I had mini-posterior approach and waited to drive until about 6.5 weeks, but restrictions were wait until 6 week followup with doc. Hubby also was available and pretty protective.

Is your doc still planning on doing anterior? I think some other anterior folks were earlier. I think nerdgrrl drove at about 3 weeks and bilat anterior Weezy was on or after 4 weeks. Not sure about bilat anterior cnydutch. I've tagged them to have them chime in.
 
Yup, I drove at 3 weeks. I might have been able to a little sooner, but I wanted to be sure I could really hit the brakes fast if I needed to. I also wanted to be fully off the oxycodone. Even taking one at night, I still felt a little out of it in the morning.
 
We are not permitted by law in Australia to drive before six weeks!

If caught it is immediate loss of license!
 
Beth, you are much closer to your next surgery than you are to your last one; I know you'll be glad when you get that one behind you and can totally concentrate on recovering and getting back to kayaking.

You have handled all this with such maturity. I hate to think of all the whining, kicking, and screaming I would have done if I'd had a fractured femur and another surgery to look forward to. (maybe not the kicking, as that would hurt, but you know what I mean.)

I can't wait till you get back on the water in the springtime, and I sure hope you'll have a camera with you as well as your fishing gear.
 
Thanks dede62, I will be having the anterior and hoping all things going well that I will return to work after my 1st post-op appointment on 4 April
Thanks nerdgrrl, I hope to follow your lead in driving, glad wedon't have to wait 6 weeks in the US Poppet
sissy46, I will so love getting back to the water, pole and camera ready

Did some outlet shopping today, left leg felt some pulling and a few calf cramps, but nothing major, right hurt quite a bid and is in pain now, but that will soon be gone. Could barely make it up the stairs. My sidekick , Watson is beginning to appreciate going everywhere and realizing he can investigate more areas outside of stoogy meetings
 
Beth, sorry old righty is chatting up a storm. Have Watson remind her that her turn is around the corner! Lefty's just letting you know that you're healing and all will be good in no time! Put them both to bed and have a quiet restful night. It's good that your getting out to get your left stronger. By March it'll be really ready to be the good leg!!

Have a great week at work and I'll stop by to see how things are going.
 
Haha, I'm feeling a little sorry for faithful Watson. By the first of April, he'll be feeling so indispensable, and then you'll break his heart by ditching him forever. Let him down gently, okay?
 
Well a small milestone, I could sit on my couch with my operated leg under me, getting better walking without aid around the house, but still end up limping in short order. Tried to change the cane for righty hips sake, but lefty started complainint, as the doc said to use it on the right to relieve the pain.

sissy46, I think Watson, might be ready for retirement by April as he is being used constantly, in ice, snow, wind and rain, plus Watson knows that I will always need him to whack those who do not listen to the BS Warriors.

This next surgery is so different from the first one as I am prepared, know what to expect and am happy with the ROM I have in the new hip and can't wait to have a matching pair to run around in. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I will not have another fracture. Also this surgery will be at 11:20AM, so I wil be quite grumpy without my coffee in the morings, had a surgery at 1PM 1 time and could not stand not being able to drink, but that is definetly something I will live with
 
Beth, can you tell them you'd like to be earlier if there is a change in the schedule? Lots can happen between now and March 1, so maybe you'd get moved up.
Poor old Watson, he doesn't know the left foot from the right.
 
Beth, sissy46 has a great idea letting the offfice know you'd like an earlier slot if the schedule changes. I was able to ask for first thing and that's what they scheduled (of course I didn't know until 3 days before).

And to tell you the truth, Watson doesn't care right leg, left leg... He loves you Beth and he'll walk by your side and protect you as long as you need him to!
 
Beth, sissy46 has a great idea letting the offfice know you'd like an earlier slot if the schedule changes. I was able to ask for first thing and that's what they scheduled (of course I didn't know until 3 days before).
True. I went in for a 'cortisone shot' 2 weeks and 2 days before my surgery. I was no longer a candidate for the shot, so he left it up to me. Said he could fit me in.
 
That's awesome that you can sit with your leg under you. :yay: I'm scared to try as I'm still working on the squatting thing (not being real diligent about it, so it's to be expected). My sock gets easier to put on in the morning and the sneakers are a non-issue now. I love progress!
 
Beth, I'm so glad you're having the anterior approach with your right hip. This time you won't have a fracture, and everything will go as it should, and you are going to be astonished at how easy your recovery will be. I hope for you that your right hip will recover as quickly and easily as my left did, and that your 28th day post-op will find you paddling your Tarpon.
Isn't it great that you can now sit on your left foot? The things we take for granted, like being able to sit cross legged, or pull your knees up to your chest when sitting on the floor (or your toe to your forehead, if you're Cookie42.)
 
Beth, you have all the Warriors calling on their super powers to ensure that you have an extra easy surgery and recovery. Tell Watson that Steve said "hello."

As to the driving question, my doctor cleared me to drive at 5 weeks, although I didn't get behind the wheel until about 6.5 weeks. I just started driving myself to work this week (week 9)...however, I was on vacation for weeks 7 and 8 and could have driven myself then.
 
Beth, I drove at 7 days, but it was my left hip. I think I would have waited a bit longer had it been the right one. And I didn't go more than a couple of miles the first week I drove---library, grocery, post office, all within 2 miles of home.
Three weeks, like Nerdgrrl, sounds very realistic after anterior surgery.
The anterior approach when all goes well and uncomplicated, sure does make it easy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom