THR My Journey begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hippy12, Damn!, sissy46, dede62, nerdgrrl, Thanks much for the replyon driving and the surgery suggestions. Most often my Doc does not have cancellations, but the other factor is I need get certain balls rolling and prepare some federal reports before then taking leave again at work. Only 7 more weeks today, though benzscotland, made a lightbulb go off for me as I thought last week was my 11th week in recovery, but this 1 is. Well that is 1 way to know feel so much better about my recovery process:) .
This week overall has been pretty good, left even allowed righty to use Watson a bit at work, it was probably my longest time not using Watson on left, yet not limping. It actually was amzing what even a little cane can do for righty, some of the sharper pain, really calmed down, but then lefty needed it again, and as lefty is now permanent and right is only here for the shrt-term, I will give it to her to ensure that she develops a nice stong gait. I am doing really well with stairs, except at the end of the day when tired and am very happy with the range of motion. I can not wait to have both hips working
 
Hippy12, Damn!, sissy46, dede62, nerdgrrl, Thanks much for the replyon driving and the surgery suggestions. Most often my Doc does not have cancellations, but the other factor is I need get certain balls rolling and prepare some federal reports before then taking leave again at work. Only 7 more weeks today, though benzscotland, made a lightbulb go off for me as I thought last week was my 11th week in recovery, but this 1 is. Well that is 1 way to know feel so much better about my recovery process:) .
Don't you hate when work beckons? I still won't commit to any long range scheduling thing (other than dog walking) because I got so tired of it. Hubby mentioned the other day how he'd "lose me" for days on end, because I'd leave early, get home late. Sometimes we'd barely chat and it would be time for bed. I love retirement. I'm glad you're having a good day! :flwrysmile:
 
Beth, we will be right here with you to go through your next THR. We can not wait to see what kinds of "situations" you get yourself into next time :whistle:
 
Hey Beth, just thought I'd check in to see how your week was. This was my first full week back and I did OK except on Tuesday night (after my road trip). I was absolutely schnockered and was in bed at 7:30. I don't know how you do all of the travel... Rest of week was good but woke up w/backache on Friday morning. Iced at about 5am before getting up and then during morning at work. Things got better as the day went on, thank goodness! Lying low this weekend with our cold weather lows in the 20's and highs in the low 30's. I think it warms up to normal temps mid to late next week. Gotta watch the slick roads and parking lots as there's no real precipitation but we get freezing fog/black ice. Crixus has helped me negotiate the parking lot. I had a co-worker that wasn't so lucky and she fell in the parking lot @ work. Hurt her pride and broke her phone...

Hope you have a wonderful weekend and a great week ahead.
 
Hey Beth! How are you? Hope you and Watson are behaving yourselves and not videoing yourselves doing any snow angels!!! If you are being naughty, we all want to hear about it! :loll:

Enjoy the long weekend! Check in if you can.
 
Beth, inquiring minds are dying to know...how are you and Watson doing? I'm so glad he is ambidextrous and doing his best for your right hip, too.
 
Hi, Poppet, sissy46, dede62, nerdgrrl, Hippy12, sorry for the delay and thanks for your concern, but Watson and I have been on the move. A week ago last Saturday, I faced the dark evil, scooterless store Ikea, I hated going there even when in bygone years my hips were fine, but alas a dingy shelf and a not used microwave cart in my kitchen needed to be replaced with new cabinets, so off we went. Watson was use to alternating between righty and lefty and felt we were up for the task. As soon as I was in the store righty started buckling, but Watson changed sides and since that time has been a constant companion with Lefty doing very well. We bought 2 large glass door cabinets, and then went home. Well you just can't take the items of the 2 old carts, but must now mover everything around, glassware, dishes, food.. ARGGG, but my progress was foiled when my husband went to assemble the second cabinet on Sunday, wrong piece, so back to Ikea. Now my kitchen was in shambles for the week, would re-wash dishes and the like to place in the new cabinent during the week, but not much else. Work is totally in full swing with alot of driving and activity, then this weekend, finally finished it all up, and by last night even lefty was saying we got to stop. So toady I am doing nothing but keeping my legs up.

Righty is getting a little worse, beside all the activity I think the shot is wearing off, but lefty is making me smile. I climb the stairs with using lefty first and get up using Lefty also. Funny thing is even with Watson, I find my use of the cane to be off and then today I tried the crutches in preparation for the surgery, and boy did I feel like I had 2 left feet. I could use the crutches so well when it was Lefty's turn, but I sure do not have any grace trying to accommodate Righty. I want to be good on them for 2 reasons, I do not want to use a walker even for a day, as my pinky is still numb on its tip from that darn thing and in case of a fracture again I want to be ready to rock and roll with the crutches.

No snow angels yet, been too busy to be naughty, but We are supposed to get a snow storm tonight so if I rest enough today, who knows? .

At the 12 week mark and can't complain giving the fracture, Watson is not used on Lefty anymore and with 6 weeks to go for Righty, I promised to buy Watson some new cane tips, husband asked me seriously if I wanted to use some tips from his workshop, some old white rubber ugly things. I calmed Watson down and told him I would not do that to him and that he will get some fine black matching cane tips.

 
Glad to hear lefty is coming along Beth. Sorry about his bad brother. It is a slow process, as I'm learning. 3 month check up for me next week... its only small amounts of progress but as my right one is OK, I consider myself lucky. Sending good vibes for your upcoming matched set.
 
Hi I was driving at 6 weeks and I had both done, it was the clutch control on my left leg which gave me the most problems. I wouldn't beat yourself up too much over your recovery as you trying to recover with a failing hip having to pick up the slack. Good luck for round 2
 
Beth, are you nesting again in prep for righty's date at the dance? Pace yourself, friend. Try not to let the Ikeas lure you in and jam all of your "in between time" with spring cleaning and honey-do's. You and lefty need to be on point when it's righty's turn. There'll be lots of time once righty is put right to take on those tasks one bite at a time. I know it took longer and took more out of you than it should have to mess with those cabinets.

I'm glad Watson is getting fresh matching tips. Good for you watching out for him. Wouldn't want him to have a fashion faux pas.

Hope you have an awesome week!
 
I think your Righty should be named Pancho---remember the song about Pancho and Lefty (Willie Nelson.) I like the line, "the day they laid old Pancho low, Lefty split for Ohio...." Keep an eye on Lefty.

It sounds like Lefty has overcome adversity and is now your favorite joint. March 1 can't come fast enough, I know. But I'm not counting down to that, I'm counting down to kayak time! I think you could be back in the kayak for a short paddle as soon as April, or as soon as it is warm enough up there, whichever comes first.

Yesterday while paddling my favorite creek, I thought of you many times. I was only off the water for 4 weeks, and I felt deprived, so I can imagine how badly you want to be out there. Yesterday I saw two red-shouldered hawks mating, pregnant deer grazing on aquatic vegetation, three otters putting on a show, two kingfishers posing, and green leafs bursting out all over. Gators stayed under, as the water was warmer than the air (spring fed, 72 degrees) but a few turtles ventured out. I paddled my solo canoe.
 
sissy46, LOL, poor Pancho.I love your thought patter, thinking of my kayak alot, but might have to wait till May, but thats ok.It will feel soooo..... good to move freely again. It still amazes me the positions lefty can go in. I really had forgotten how my leg was supposed to move
puddle fish, thanks for the info and telling me to give myself a break, but you had no good leg to heal with either as a bilateral hero
DeDe, Does work seem more aggravating to you or is it still the energy drain making me crabby?

Lefty is doing well, and Watson is mostly supporting Righty. Don't really use Watson around the house except when I overdo it or the weather is changing
 
Beth, it's probably a combo of the two. I have to bite my tongue a little these days myself.

The week before last our director had us do this exercise on time management, but not in the sense of prioritizing work tasks, but prioritizing life tasks. They brought us together as a group and expected us to sit and reflect on a bunch of personal things. The majority of us didn't feel comfortable doing this in such a public way even though we were tasked to fill things out on our own. I and a few others feel our personal life is very separate from our work lives. But I was surprised how emotional I got about it. All of the self-reflection on top of the physical and emotional roads we are on just tipped me over the edge.

Bottom line - we're still on the roller coaster...
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey begins
 
Work can be so tiring on top of using all our energy on recovery.. It will get easier.. :)
 
Fixed hips although painful from surgery are 1000x better than stubborn locking not moving toothache arthritic hip. Still I can't imagine trying to cope with the pain of arthritis and recovery from surgery. Nobody has an easy ride it's hard for us all.
As for those let's share our feelings lie and play the game don't share if you don't want to.
 
dede62 I would have found that exercise extremely intrusive. I mean, is this work, or group therapy? Not appropriate in the work setting, in my opinion.
 
puddle fish, you are right, I actually tried to have them both done at the same time and hated putting so much weight and use on the other hip as with the fracture limiting my weight bearing it killed what wasleft of my right. I admire you for what you have been through and didn't want to seem like I was whining.

DeDe, that is just so ridiculous I agree with sissy46, an exercise in futlity for your work and invasive frustration for you. Glad I am not the only crusty one
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom