Guest viewing is limited

THR My Journey begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
***Disclaimer** I understand that everyone's hip journey is individual and recovery is a process:)

I am not sure if I am being to conservative with walking aids, so quick history synopsis, was lifted off restriction of wieght bearing from the fracture on 12/18, had been hardly walking much for about a year prior to surgery, limited by my non-operated leg which will be done on 3/1/13, OS said to use a cane for that leg.
Now what I am doing is at home walking with no aid until pain creates a limp, this is not more than 5 minutes, using a cane in the house until pain creates a limp, usually about 30 minutes and than going to the elbow crutch. On days I have walked throughout the day, my next day is miserable, usually on the right leg creating a need for an oxycodone, but like on Christmas, I actually needed to use both crutches for a while due to my operated leg. I do not bring the cane, or walk unaided at work yet, due to not wanting to bring both aids with me and than second to not have to explain to people at work, why I can walk unaided, with a cane or with the crutch, just gets way to complicated.
I am 9 weeks today and just am not sure if I should just push myself to the cane only, or if what I am doing at home is the right thing, as far I increase the aid based on a limp. I am trying real hard to keep my gait straight and walk heel to toe. I want to heal right, but am just unsure if I am being to conservative, any advise folks or Josephine, ? I am regularly taking ibuphrophen with Tylenol, 3x a day
As far as work goes, managing, but the energy drain is still kicking my but, which is why I am respondeing here during lunch. After I make dinner and do the dishes, I crash.
Happy New Year
 
You need to slow down a little. Walking until you get pain or a limp is ill advised. You will not only slow down your recovery but risk getting into the habit of a limp. Testing walking without aids once or twice a day is okay but stop when you get pain.

How many mgs ibuprofen and Tylenol are you taking?

You certainly will have energy drain in buckets so you need to get other people to do the dishes! It's enough you make the meal.
 
Beth, I know you love your job, but I sure wish you could just do half days for a while. You've had a lot more to deal with than most of us, what with the fracture and looking at another THR in two months.
My opinion is that you need to baby yourself to the max.
 
Thanks for answering , Josephine; I am taking 600mg ibuprofen with 2 650 mg tylenol every 6 hours. I have been trying to focus on my gait, posture straight and heel to toe,

Thanks sissy46; for the kind words and concern, but can not do 1/2 days, especially due to me being out in March for the other hip
 
Oh dear, that's too much! You should only take 1,000mgs per dose though you can take that 4 times a day. Conversely, you could take 800mgs ibuprofen at a time x 3 per day but do be careful that you aren't getting any stomach discomfort or heartburn. If you do, stop the ibuprofen at once. Read this for more information Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail
 
Thanks Josephine; I will cut back on the Tylenol, figured that as long as I didn't over do the daily total, I would be all right. I have meloxicam but have been trying to avoid at as that really upsets my stomach,but works better than the ibuprofen . I use the medicine more for the pain in my unoperated hip, the pain in my left disappears as soon as Stop walking on it or increase the walking aid I use. My range is great in the new hip, just can't walk much on it.
 
Hey Beth, its a slow business. As you know, I wasn't wired and was given no restrictions at 6 weeks. I have been taking it slow but sometimes you just can't help yourself. My physio told me to walk around the house without a cane until I start to limp, then use it. But Jo's advice seems more sensible. I always use the cane when I go outside. Luckily I have not experienced terrible pain/discomfort in the last week, unless I do some prolonged sitting. I am fortunate that the lowest dose of percocet works for me, right now I just need a couple of pills a day. I also take meloxicam to keep the knee from swelling on my good leg and I think it helps the bad, I mean newly upgraded. It did give me problems initially but I got a stomach protector from my GP, which cleared that problem up. Now I make sure I take it after breakfast. I really feel that it reduces swelling around the incision. I have to say you seem like a very strong woman: I honestly cannot imagine having to work right now. I have zero energy after doing very much at all. I really hope things improve for you. Take care. Vicki
 
Cane. I personally found the crutch to be too cumbersome but I do believe if it feels better, you should use the crutch. I did not have a problem with pain when I switched, the discomfort on overdoing it was about the same. I still have to be careful about my gait on every step. Speaking of steps... how is that going for you? I just graduated back to my upstairs bedroom. It was an emotionally therapeutic move but I try to minimize my ups and downs and take it slow. But so far so good, it isn't a problem. I have to say, your situation was probably more difficult than mine, your fracture was wired, mine not, ergo it would seem, your recovery is more challenging. Luckily I got a new PT who is substituting some new small moves for some of the most sweat-inducing abduction exercises I've been struggling with eg. clam shells.
 
DO NOT ignore any stomach symptoms. Speak with your GP and get the "stomach protector" which is lansaprazole (trade name Omeprazole). It's perfectly safe, I have been taking it for 30-odd years! Did you read the link I gave you? It's all in there about NSAID issues and the use of Lansaprazole.
 
Josephine, yes they gave me something for my stomach sulcarafate(SP??) and did a cat scan to make sure no problems. I read the article and am going to try today the time spread, as I have been taking them at the same time.THANK YOU, I know you are busy dealing with all of us lost hipsters :)

Vida, stairs are not a big problem as long as I do not keep going up and down them, a few times a day works for me, biggest issue I have is when my non-operated hip just doesn't want to do it, at which point I sort of crawl up them, but when I am having a good day, I can go up them with the crutch normally, not quite sure why, but happily clamshells are easy for me, straight leg raises and side ones from a position of laying on my back is very difficult. It seems walking is really my worse enemy
 
That's interesting. I am perfectly Ok with side leg raises! I've been told it isn't necesary to go high/far on anything, just move 'small' and frequently. I think it indicates disuse of the musculature prior to surgery because of long-standing ROM issues, just as much as the surgery itself. How do you manage with all the sitting at work? If I have to sit for long, I am hooped. If we go out for lunch, I carry a foam pad, just case the chair we are ofered isn't padded! I worry I'll have to do it forever....​
 
Funny how stairs are a problem in different ways for different people. In the first weeks after my op I was fine going up and down stairs at home but then at 4½ months I got a couple of days work at a local firm (occy health). The stairs up to the office I had to work in at this place were mega steep but fortunately had a nice sturdy hand rail. I had to go up and down there a few times each day for photocopying and the loo and boy! did ever I hang on to that hand rail like my life depended on it! I went back there again October this year and it was like it was yesterday, the memory of that was so burned into my brain! Fortunately, it was found that someone else was using that office so they relocated me into the boss's office which was furnished with its own photocopier and loo! Bliss! :)
 
Beth, all I can tell you is to hang in there. Even a tiny bit of progress is still progress (she says while wiping a tear from her eye). Tomorrow is my 8 week anniversary and Steve is constantly in my hand. I can not manage a single step without limping. Not a one! So, you are doing great comparatively speaking. Six months from now you will be the proud new mama of 2 brand new hips and giving Sissy a run for her money on your kayak!

Have faith Sista Warrior!

Tammy
 
Beth, you're doing great! I know how you just want to get on with things! You've been terribly patient through it all and I'm guessing your patience tank is getting low. I was on meloxicam for a while and it stopped working for me. My OS switched me to Relafen and with that I had to start using the prilosec (as recommended by my GP). That was pre-surgery for about 2 months. I've since started back up on them at 4.5 weeks after getting off the blood thinners.

I still hold the railing going upstairs (and just guide it along when going down). I've just started trying to have less of a death grip on it! As you know I'm still using my cane while at work. I'm not using it in the house except later in the evening if I've been more active.
 
Okay, now that I am done whining (I promise that I will not whine again, until next year, by eastern standard time) about my slow recovery and getting assurances, that yes this is normal. I will not list the things I am happy about.

I do not need to use 2 crutches
The Muscles in my arms are great from all the time using 2 crutches
I can put 1 sock on the normal way and in 2013 will be able to put on both socks the normal way
I can finally lift myself off of the loo, you guys in the UK have much better terminalogy
I have learned how to become a BS Warrior, learning to use medical devices as deadly weapons and to wreak havoc in stores with a scooter, not as good as Damn!, yet, haven't knocked over any displays yet.
I can move my new hip in ways that I have not been able to in over 2 years, can not touch my nose with my foot like Cookie42, though
I will be paddling this summer on my kayak and giving sissy46, a run for her money and also be able to go out in our boat
I ended up with a new car, but do not think the second hip will bring my the amphibious vehicle I like
This forum helped me so much in the preperation work for the surgery and made it so much better
I have met so many faboulous and amazing folks here
Got a great recipe for Chocolate cheesecake, thanks to dede62,
HAPPY NEW YEAR
 
Poppet, to a truly remarable woman, I want to say thank you for all the support you give us here. I was sad when you locked your post, becuase I thought it was great that we had an opportunity to try to brighten your day and allow us to give some of the support you have sent our way. Lee than a year now till retirement.:yahoo:

Josephine, thank you for all you do on this forum and the countless hipsters you help. You are kind and patient in your replies and each one is fresh, even though you have answered the same questions over and over throughout the years. Me and My kittens, Thank you
 
Beth, I thank you sincerely for that compliment. I do strive not to use copy/past in my replies too much though sometimes it's a necessity. But each member is an individual and I always try to remember that.
 
No, I have my Tarpon, my first yak a Bic and even a vintage fiberglass diving yak. but I bought it 2 winters ago and have not been able to try it because of my hips.
Have a good paddle tmmorrow, hope your friend realizes what a great persion you to are
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom