Guest viewing is limited

THR My Journey begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
bellaroma, I know that sense of achievement with the sock!! I just did it the other day without a major amount of effort, and felt like I'd accomplished some great feat of strength or something! LOL And I HATE when I go somewhere and have to use the toilet, I'm so used to my "comfort height" one that I feel like I'm falling to the floor when I sit down on a "regular" one! We're talking about getting the taller height for the inlaws sometime soon.....they don't NEED it, but I think they'll appreciate it when they have it......and I know I'll appreciate them having it! LOL
 
Thinking of you YoungGma, at my inlaws earlier and they have 1 of those short toilets, learned my lesson from the last time I was there and skipped using it, but maybe we should get them a toilet for Christmas? hmmmm....Make My life easier:dancy:
 
The ADA approved toilets are great. Installed one 5 years ago and also use an elevated seat with metal arms. I am amazed at most restaurants. In order to meet the ADA requirements, they keep the small (low) toilet and put up a bar on the side and in the back of the toilet. Doesn't work when you are in the recovery stage. <g>
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey begins
I'm frankly surprised that new construction doesn't automatically use the ADA approved toilets. I have one in the master bath which we had put in, but I have the regular "low" toilet in the other bathroom. I am replacing it sometime in the next month or two. Since my surgeries, I have come to realized that even being recovered hasn't made using that one any easier. And why would taller folks (I'm just 5') ever want these low ones? And we can always get little step stools for the little kids.


[Bonesmart.org] My Journey begins
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey begins
 
I think the main purpose of handicap toilets is to accommodate people in wheelchairs, so the stall has to be big enough and the seat the right height. However, in a small establishment with only one toilet, how would kids make out with a tall one?
 
A child too short to sit on an ADA approved toilet should be accompanied by an adult to the restroom who can put them on the toilet.
 
Yay Beth! So glad your appointment went so well. I too was very surprised at how tiring it is to go from 2 crutches down to one. Then even more tiring going from 1 crutch to a cane. It is amazing how weak our muscles have gotten while we were non-weightbearing. Looks like another reason to hit the gym after the New Year.

Merry Christmas!
Tammy
 
Today did quite a bit of walking, operated leg sore but so much better, non-operated one hurting like heck, ended up taking and oxy, can not wait till that 1 is replaced in March.
 
In spite of all the restrictions and obstacles I have had through this journey, getting in and out; or down and off, low seats and the like have never posed a problem. Must have been all the single leg squats I was doing prior to surgery. They were brutal during my work outs, but well worth it now. I can still do a single leg squat on the non-operated side. Be a long time before I can work up to it on the operated side....but I will keep trying :)
 
Beth, I thought about you yesterday while kayaking. Do I remember correctly that you had the anterior approach to your THR? And will you have it with the next one? Trying to figure out when you'll be able to have your first paddle with your new hips...If anterior approach and all goes as well as you deserve, could be paddling as soon as April.:SUNsmile:
 
Well 1'st day back at work, at 12:30 felt cocky, at 2 beat and at 3, thought the day would never end, 4:30 seemed like it would never get there, but it did and it did feel good to be back. Pretty slow as folks are on vacation, so able to pace myself. Learned over the weekend, just because I can, doesn't mean I should. Did alot of housework over weekend, didn't pay much attention to leg, walked around the house sometimes with no aid, went shopping, walked on the Cape Cod canal,ended up barely able to walk Christmas Eve, with both legs and then Christmas morning had to use 2 crutches again and take oxy, operated leg is still sorer than its been but better. I just have to remember moderation
Had a beautiful bonfire on our beach CristmasEve and roasted chestnuts, it was nice
sissy46, thanks for the thoughts it was uplifting to think of kayaking again. I did have the anterior approach .Looks like you had a geat paddle
 
Beth, congrats on making it through your first day back! Our day almost mirrored each other except my hip started talkking to me around 11:30 (4 hrs in) but thanks to my friend Ice and a mini-cocktail of tylenol and robaxin I was good til around 3. That last 1.5 hr poked along!!! Had to stop for a couple staples on the way home (my chauffer stopped and ran in with me) and we headed home for some nice leftovers!

Really tried to take it easy over the weekend knowing I was heading back this week (unlike some warriors). Hope you're feeling better from your weekend escapades! Two more days then 4 off!
 
dede62 nerdgrrl Damn! and Beth and all the others who have gone back to work: My hat is off to you warriors. I don't think I could have done nearly as well as I have, if I had to work right now.
 
Going back to work is tough.... Hats off to the warrior girls who went back recently :)
 
Hey dede! I was back to work for 4 weeks before I got these 2 weeks off. I deserve it :)

Glad to see both you and Beth made it back and got through your first days. I don't care how long someone takes off from work, whether it is 1 week, 6 weeks or even 6 months, it is tough to get back in to the groove initially. We work at recovering physically, but work can be draining intellectually and we don't PT for that.
 
Damn! Remember that you also went back to work before your doc releasesd you to go back - whoopsie! :spin: I'm just glad it hasn't negatively impacted your recovery! I'm guessing when they say you can get cabin fever being off so long, that would have been an understatement for you!! Energizer bunny warrior..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom