THR My Journey begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bbbbbbeth, how did it go today? By now you're snuggled in your nest (or at least should be)...Keep us posted!

:friends:
 
Dang, girl, do we have a warrior down? Or are you still celebrating? Maybe you're just having trouble with the BoneSmart site---lately I get the message sometimes "server can't find."
 
Has Beth gone MIA?

Probably got so much good news at her appointment, decided to go on holiday :)
 
sissy46 no... I don't think Beth would leave us cool dudes behind [Bonesmart.org] My Journey begins to go on a trip.. [Bonesmart.org] My Journey begins ... Do you think?
 
Hi All, Sorry I have been MIA for a number of days. My husband was getting ready for a buisness trip and my internet was going crazy, but now my internet is working again.

The doctors appointment went well. I am now able to weight bear as tolerated, I am quite surprised the difference between 1 crutch and 2, it starts hurting much quicker with the 1 crutch and I could not get by with a cane. It is not that I cannot walk, but that I start limping, so using the 1 crutch. The doctor also told me due to my muscle strength to avoid sitting on low seat, he did not have to tell me twice:yikes: as I am trying to avoid the embassasing moments and wedgies.

I will return to work on 12/26, with the only restriction to avoid travleing over 1 hours, my job has me driving all over the state, so I will have to take it slow for awhile, the issue will be more when I am in the heavy Boston traffic as you are stuck in the car and no way to pull over and strech, but other trips shouldn't be that bad, as there is always areas to get out and strech.

I have been scheduled for my right THR on March 1, the doc has recommended doing exersices at home vs PT for now as I will not really be able to get the full benifit until the other hip is done.

Poppet, I have a technical question, do I go back to my orginal pre-op recovery thread, create a new one or just stay typing here? It could get pretty confusing:)

Sunday I was at a flea market and found an exercise bike that they used in a gym for spinner classes. It weighs about 100lbs, it was so cheap that I bought it and figured it will be good for me especially after the other hip is done, as right now my right hip stops me from pedaling before the operated side does?

I have missed all my fellow warriors and am glad to be back!!!!!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey begins
Since you are in the process of recovery, you can keep everything here, including discussion and questions about your second upcoming surgery if you wish.
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey begins
 
Yay, our warrior is back!! You had all of us worried----so glad you're doing well. Exercise bike should be a good thing.
 
Hi Beth

Pleased to hear that you are now fully weight bearing. Hope you get on as well as I did using just one crutch. I remember that after a couple of weeks just as a matter of interest and to see how it felt I tried to use two crutches again and I could not cope with them, it felt really strange.

Take care

Chris
 
Yay! Sounds like you are doing well. I have a spin bike, too, but I paid full price. You definitely got a bargain! Once you are not using for PT, they are great for cardio.

And congratulations on getting a surgery date. With a March date, you should be kayaking by summer :egypdance:
 
bellaroma yes, I am with Judy, you can stay on this recovery thread, however, you may want to join the Pre Op generic month thread for March..

You will extra surgical buddies to share with in March and I am sure you will have heaps of good advice for those coming aboard :)
 
Whew, Beth. Glad to hear things are OK and you got hubby off on his trip as well. Dang interwebs...

Yay for you!!! You can now join the land of the weight-bearers!! Slow and steady friend, it does take some getting used to. Tammy's finding that out, but before long, you'll be ready for your second battle, and we'll all be here for you then as well!

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for one of them there spinning bikes! That's a great bargain! Well done, you!

:happydance:
 
Glad to hear things are rolling right along for you! Great deal on the bike! I have an ancient exercise bike in the basement that we dug out the other day; I MIGHT use it occasionally now! LOL After I see the doc on the 27th, I'm hoping to head back to the gym.
 
Hi Bellaroma

Nothing much to do with hip surgery, but in response to your comment on another thread... Please don't cross the Galapagos Islands off your list of travel destinations because of worries about commercialisation. There is some, of course, but on the other hand they have very active and effective controls on tourism. Numbers are strictly limited, and there are very few island visits you can make without being accompanied by an accredited naturalist guide.

Any kind of interaction with the wildlife is absolutely verboten. This was brought into sharp focus for a group of ten of us, who stood and watched as a male frigate bird, in full display mode, managed to get one of his huge wings trapped in some shrubbery. All of us could see that it would be a simple matter for one of us to free the wing for him. But the guide refused to allow it.

Thankfully, he eventually came to his senses, and realised that however sexy and alluring that particular female was, she was just not worth damaging a wing over: and he reined back the display, and got himself free. Otherwise, I don't think any of us would have slept that night.

Reading through your thread I notice that you had to have wire (wires?) wrapped around your femur during surgery. This also happened to me during my recent revision, when it was found that the mysterious Is It?/Isn't It? infection, which had been suspected for a year, actually Was, and had badly damaged at least one area of bone.

I am still waiting for my follow-up appt, when hopefully I will see the X-ray of this wire in situ, and have a chance for a longer discussion with the surgeon. I am on 2 crutches at present. One use for them which I don't think has been commented on so far, is jemmying open lift doors which are just about to close as you approach them.

All the best for what we in the UK persist in calling Christmas, and which I think you refer to as The Holidays. You know... it's that time of year when the shops are full of stuff you neither want nor need. (I'm such a fun person to be around.)

Regards

Glynis
 
Well I am so excited, I can put my operated side sock on by crossing my foot onto my leg. Is has been over 2 years sine I could do that. In fact until dede62, mentioned it, I didn't even remember that. I can not do it with my right, but should be able to do it in March after the surgery.
I am doing good with the 1 crutch and in the house alternate with the cane and do some short stints with nothing.

glynis, thanks for the info, the Galapagos must have been amazing. Do you have any pictures? I guess they wired your hip as it pretty much has the same concept as a fracture, weak bone. Hope you follow-up goes well.
 
Great Beth! You have come a long way baby! hehe
Have a Merry Christmas!
 
Yay Beth! Glad my doc's tip helped with the sock situation and it's SO EXCITING to hear you transitioning to the cane!!!! Well done!

:cheers:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom