Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DogLoverx3 Haven't visited in a few days. How are you? Is this your Stay cation or is that next week end?
I hope your knee settles down. It sure sounds like nerves are upset in and out of it. I hope you are doing well.
~hopefaith
 
Driving by to say Hello! Hope you're cooler this weekend than I am...its definitely summer in Texas!
 
Thanks @Gingiebot, @kneeper , @Jozilla and everyone else who weighed in on the lumbar injection. I have my consultation tomorrow afternoon and I must admit that the sheer thought of a needle in my spine terrifies me! I agree, if it's able to help my knee, then it's worth a shot (pun absolutely intended) ;-).

We had horrible storms here last night so Richard is none to happy with the lingering humidity. It's gloomy and yuck here today, so my plans to relax by the pool have been shot to, well, you know. Instead I'm blaring my custom playlist (all over the board from Meatloaf to Eminem to Rihanna to The Chiffons, Train, Josh Groban, Big Country, Rick Astley and all my other favorite tunes!) while making blueberry pancakes! I have yet to get dressed, and really have no intention to. Oh wait, with the way some of the minds on here work, let me clarify, I'm not running around nude, just in the shorts and tank that I sleep in.

The dogs are following my lead on having a lazy Sunday and are in their respective beds (although Bean - the terror - has opted for MY bed). I'll do some cleaning and some cooking for the week and then who knows!?

I hope everyone is having a great day!! I'll post about my appointment tomorrow when I get home.

@Jozilla , no, I haven't considered seeing a neurologist. I'm sort of sick of seeing doctors at this point. I got a bill from insurance yesterday for $130 for some doctor whose name I don't even recognize. I think it may be the pain specialist I saw last month, but I was told the consultation would be no charge. I guess I'll fight that battle tomorrow.........

xoxoxoxo
 
our weather is horrible this time of year @TexasTee . 114 with humidity makes me and Richard very very cranky! I know your summers are pretty challenging too - hang in there! ;-)

@hopefaith , staycation girls weekend is next Sunday & Monday! Yey!!! It better be sunny as all we have on the agenda is drinking by the pool. And reading. And gossiping. And people watching. And then probably some more drinking. ;-) I can't find anyone to watch my babies, so I'll have to run back and forth to the house to take care of them (boo), but it will still be fun. And no, I won't drink and drive. :-)
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - hope your appointment goes well tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you.

I also thought of you today, just heading out of town and I stopped at a roundabout. What should be on the advertising hoarding in front of me, but a HUGE advert for raspberry cider of all things. Still not convinced that I would want to try it - I don't even like proper cider as I think it tastes of pee - but that's just me. I instantly thought of you ............ about the raspberry cider of course, not the pee!

I really shouldn't have mentioned 'The Velveteen Rabbit' to @Ellejay. I have just read it again and it has made me person :boohoo::
'I am the nursery magic Fairy," she said. "I take care of all the playthings that the children have loved. When they are old and worn out and the children don't need them any more, then I come and take them away with me and turn them into Real."
"Wasn't I Real before?" asked the little Rabbit.
"You were Real to the Boy," the Fairy said, "because he loved you. Now you shall be Real to every one."


Blub, blub and thrice blub .............. it is so sad and so lovely.

Enjoy your chill out day!

XXXX
 
I know what you mean about doctors and bills. My tkr statements & bills are starting to come in and I've got all different ones with doctor & hospital separate. Also a weird medicare related charge. Excuse me? I'm not even old enough for medicare. I've got a call in to the insurance company on that one. :scratch:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 good luck with your appointment tomorrow. I hope all goes well x x x I will look forward to Å·our post tomorrow xxx,I need to go bed. Meds have just kicked in xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hi All. Well, I don't really feel I have a right to complain after what @Nana moon 27 got hit with today, but at least she will be on her way, finally, to a full recovery! xoxoxox

Sorry I didn't report in yesterday about my appointment with the pain specialist. Yesterday was a big ole' problem beginning with a call from one of my tenants at 5am. Really?? It was an issue that she had told me about on Saturday and I had a repairman out to address that same day. I left some instructions on what NOT to do until the issue could be fully repaired and what do you know? Her boyfriend did exactly what I said not to and made matters worse. Long story short, what should have been a $25 DIY plumbing fix ended up costing me $390. Lovely. And I've still got drywall to repair on top of that. Guess I'll be u-tubing ;-)

Okay, so pain specialist. That was a 'lovely' 2 hour consultation with a dweeby little guy. He thinks I have RSD brought on by the surgery and centralized to my knee (duh). They kept asking of 'this' pain was different from my pre-TKR pain. Uhm, yes, yes it is... stop asking that. Anyway, he wants to do a 'sympathetic nerve block' to see if that will help. What does that involved? Well that will be a big ole needle suck into a specific area of my spine, under x-ray to 'numb' the circuits dealing with my knee. It's not like a shot either. It's a needle, in my spine, for 5-10 minutes. I almost passed out when he told me that. He said he would numb me up but was honest and said it was a less than pleasant procedure. The 1st time would be the 'test' and I would come back the next day to report on how it worked. If it does help, that would lend to the RSD diagnosis being accurate and then I would come in for a series of 5 of these horrid procedures every other day along with another round of PT. I have no idea what physical therapy has to do with this as my ROM is pretty darn good, but whatever.... I just don't know what to do....

On the one hand, it's worth a shot (no pun intended), on the other, being as i'm murphy's law, what if something goes wrong AND is there a possibility that this pain will go away on it's own. If so, when? Lots of questions and decisions to make. :-( Any input that anyone has would be appreciated..... of course, we have to wait and see if insurance will even approve it .....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DogLoverx3 What an awful day all around! Had a colleague who had a similar issue in her foot. She had the nerve block process done and eventually ended up with a pump implanted in her abdomen. I am assuming that this doc has a good reputation and you trust him. I think the big question is will the nerve pain go away on it's own over time or not. I have no idea if anyone can answer that or even how long you can wait for the optimal benefit of the block. Hang in there. J
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - sorry that what you have been told was not really what you were hoping to hear and it seems as though the whole experience has left you very confused as to what to do next.

I have never heard of RSD - but had a quick look up on the good old internet ...... still not really much the wiser.

Therefore, although I can empathise with you regarding landlord issues and dumb tenants, I am unable to offer any words of wit or wisdom concerning the knee. All I can do is keep you in my thoughts and offer the odd friendly word knee-wise, with whatever management plan you decide to take.

Hugs and love
XX
 
My first thought @dogwheels is to make an appointment with a neurologist. They truly understand nerve pain. If he thought he could not help you and thought highly of this pain specialist then I would consider it. I would not let anyone near my back with a needle unless it was an anesthesiologist.

Most, but not all, pain specialists are anesthesiologists so check his background carefully. It is actually considered outpatient surgery so check the facility too! When my insurance would not pay for my great pain management doctor who was an anesthesiologist I went to another one in my area. I thought I was in Dr Frankensteins office - they wanted to do a different type of pain injections on me that apparently was outdated 10 years ago. I went home and looked up everything and studied my options and never went back there. This doctor was also not an anesthesiologist and i thought her facility was substandard. Had I not known any better and had no other options I may have used her!

My original pain management doctor could have done a 30 minute procedure with a needle in my spine and I would have trusted him 100%. And it would have been painless.

Sounds like I am on a rant but just want you to be careful with this procedure!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom