Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
The above post was for @DogLoverx3 ....sorry I put Pumpklin. My brain went off line.:heehee:
I hope the concert was way beyond your expectations!!!
And your lunch? (:
You remind me of me a few years ago. I may be back to that someday. You will find someone who deserves you a wonderful caring strong woman.
Many sweet thoughts coming your way.
~~hopefaith
<3<3<3
 
Hi All! First off, the concert was awesome! They sounded great and it was a lot of fun. As was the happy hour we went to beforehand :eyebrows:

@hopefaith , I'm sure you were much more level headed about dating....I tend not to like 98% of the men I meet, so when I meet one that doesn't make me want to fake a seizure in order to be able to leave early (:curtsey:), I get a bit overly excited. And by excited, I mean moronic. :wink:

Anywhoo, we met for a quick lunch yesterday and I don't think I scared him off ..... yet. He leaves town tomorrow morning for 9 days and the day he gets back is the day I start my 'girls weekend staycation' at a local resort where we have all promised to turn off our phones and concentrate on the sun, the pool and the cocktails. :dancy:

I just got back from seeing my 'new' OS and I think I finally 'get' it. Not why my knee sucks, but why OS's aren't good at aftercare. He was very polite and made sure he didn't offend me, but he was confused as to why I was back as there is nothing surgically wrong with the knee. I kind of looked confused (as I often do) and he explained that he's a surgeon - what I need is a pain specialist. Since there is nothing inherently wrong with the implant itself (although he did tell me that the one I have, a Stryker, is crappy and 'old school' and that he doesn't use them - boo), I should be going somewhere else to seek relief. He was upset to hear that my insurance wouldn't cover the knee injections as he really feels that's what I need. He says I'm just one of the unlucky ones as far as my recovery goes (great - not) and that, in time, all will be better. He has referred me to a different pain specialist and has requested a 'lumbar sympathetic nerve block', which sounds hugely scary to me, but says that insurance will usually approve those. I'm wondering though, since it's not concentrated on my knee, if I'll now be able to slice my finger off when cooking and not realize it. :shocked: I see this new guy on Monday for a consultation (and to see if insurance approves this one).

I do really like my new OS, and I now understand that he's not really the one I should be seeing. He did refill my gabapentin (he was also not happy that insurance wouldn't approve the Lyrica) and we are going to up the dosage to 300mg, 3 times a day instead of just 2.

And that, my friends, is all I have to report this morning. I must run and get a sh*t-pot of work done today.

Hope all is well with everyone!!! xoxoxoxoxo
 
he did tell me that the one I have, a Stryker, is crappy and 'old school'

That comment really surprises me (unless he was referring to the specific model you were given as opposed to Stryker prosthetics in general). My OS certainly uses them and that is what we originally discussed using in my knee (Stryker Triathlon) but was given the DePuy as the better solution due to fit and and correction of the valgus deformity.
 
I'm glad you enjoyed the concert! It's good to just forget the knee sometimes (insomuch as it actually lets you forget it).

Makes sense that he's referring you to a pain specialist rather than wanting to do something to the knee - it sucks that it does mean you just have to wait out the nerves but it's great that you don't have to have it redone in any way.

As to the nerve block, I'm pretty sure they have them mapped to the point that they can pinpoint just which nerves they are blocking. Fingers crossed that this is the piece of the puzzle that lets you gain the freedom you had the surgery for in the first place.

I know you and Ann are more like the exception but it certainly is making me be very careful about this decision - not sure if I mentioned this but when I met with the last guy, the surgeon I'm going to use, I specifically asked about the outliers - and he said that while it IS rare that people have a rough recovery it is generally younger, female patients that have them. Isn't that special?
 
Hey , just checking in on your thread, I could always use a chuckle or 2. You guys are a riot. You remind me of my sister. The social butterfly of 2 counties. San Francisco and Sonoma. Dont you 2 ever get tired ? Traveling, working, happy hour , concerts etc. My life sucks , I need to get out. Its just work and now the gym , than home and watch television. I really dont go out as much since ive quit drinking. Its much more boring but atleast I wont wake up in a jail or bruised up from a fight. Dont miss those days at all.
Im so glad your knee is structurally sound and that perhaps a pain specialist may be able to help. Let us know what happens. Way to go with the fruit drink, sounds like a scene from a movie. Let us know what happens. Im committed on going back to the gym , ive gone 4 days this week and feel better. I just dont have the energy levels like when I was younger. And I almost feel like a creepo working out next to hot college age girls at the gym . Seems like yesterday I was that young. It sucks . Well Ellen best wishes , Iceman
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier...I didn't get an alert!!! It's only cos Texas tee mentioned about your OS visit on my thread I even knew! It's really strange xxxx never mind x x x

I have had the knee injections round my TKR and for me personally they didn't work. I will not bother ever again with them xxx however, for Ellejay they did work. My knee is an AGC.

I'm glad your lunch date went well and you seem so happy. On your girls weekend I'd break the rules and have your phone on sneakily quiet so you can at least text each other xxx

It sounds like the concert was good. Had they changed much? I, glad you managed to get out. Like @icep707 I really do need to start getting out or a life or something that is not revolving round the miserable pain of this knee!


Good luck with your day love from Nana moon 27 xxxx

I will check in later x x x
 
@DogLoverx3 I have a Stryker Triathlon and it's doing just fine. Don't think the OS's comments in that regard were particularly appropriate. Perhaps he felt that he would have used a different implant in your case.
I wonder why younger women have more pain issues with a TKR --maybe in older folks our nerve endings are not so sensitive.
Hoping you get some relief soon.
 
@TexasTee , I wouldn't be too worried about complications. As they are a minute minority. You will be very well prepared when you are up to bat . You will know what to do , like even you said , knowledge is power. ! All you really have to worry about is taking your meds on time , all the time. MEDCOACH is a excellent free phone app. You will be too tired and doped up to be checking off a sheet of paper.plus you can download your music to alert you. Its super cool. Elevation , check! Ice, check!! Get the picture !. Take care , Iceman
 
@dogwheels ss
I am surprised at the comments about the Stryker also. My OS, said there are many new ones "out there," but the Stryker has proved to be a very reliable joint replacement over and over. (He is only 40, so it isn't like he is stuck with a type because he's stuck in old ways or anything, he truly thinks it is the best joint replacement.)
I have to see my OS this coming Monday.....can hardly
wait...not as you would say. I like him but last time didn't go so well. I am doing better with this new approach that my new PT is taking.
I do not think I am wise when it comes to men. THAT has been proven a few times over. I hope this new guy is just the person for you!!!
(are you going to sneak away at your staycation and text him. :heehee:)
~~hopefaith

The above was not supposed to turn all pink, although convincing @dogwheels of that will be tough. :snork:
 
Hi All, sorry that my posting what my OS has said has created an issue with some and concern in others. I'm just posting what I was told. Do I believe it? I don't know. Do I realize it's just his opinion? Yes. Do I even know which model of Stryker I have? No. Thinking back though, my original surgeon did not talk to me at all about my lifestyle or activity level when he probably should have. I didn't know any better and just assumed he would use what was best for me. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Too late now though....

I'm in a water poor mood today, so sorry if that just came off as rude or abrupt - was not my intention. xoxo
 
@DogLoverx3 It wasn't just your post. The Stryker got a lot of hoop la over on Nana Moon's thread also today. You were not rude. I am in the absolute pit tonight. won't go into it, but not good at all.
x x x
h.f.
 
I am really sorry if I caused a problem by posting about my fears in order to get opinions; I thought that was this forum was for...to discuss our fears and issues and get information and reassurance. It helped me a lot to hear other people's experience so I hope this hasn't caused problems.
 
@Gingiebot @DogLoverx3. I thought it was a good discussion. Some may have gotten anxiety after reading about the Stryker. We have little control though over what our surgeons pick. Until coming here I wouldn't know there could be a difference or things such as fixed or hinged. No matter which implant is used it does all come down to the surgeons magic skills in my opinion. I have a Depuy and my selection would not have mattered to my OS. That is what he used for me and I learned about it after the fact! If in two years there was a recall ??? If my knee was fine I wouldn't worry.

@DogLoverx3 have you seen a neurologist. I think it might also be good to get a different perspective. . I have also had lumbar injections and they did work wonders. It is worth a try. My insurance however will not pay for these injections any more. Go figure.

Hope you all have a great weekend!!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 your post did not cause any problem. Like you I was not questioned or even asked or shown the model of knee replacement I was getting. I didn't even meet the surgeon that was fitting it because he' was a stand in. Like you I don't know whether my OS has done the right thing by me or not!

Please forgive me using your thread but I want to address Gingiebots concerns here. She appears a little upset...

Like @Jozilla said it was a discussion. I think something got a little misconstrued but it's been dealt with, no one to my knowledge is upset on my thread that I am aware of and if this is the case then I'd rather they inboxed me to discuss the issue.

@Gingiebot you did absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever except ask a question. However, I had to calm a potential situation down because I could see how emotions were beginning to run high on my thread. That is why I got another opinion. I could have just as easily said about my AGC being no good etc but remember I had problems very early on in my recovery and this is why I think I have trouble. @DogLoverx3 like me has had a very slow recovery. I think she has done fantastically well, she's working and socialising but I know she is In such pain most of the time. This doesn't mean you would be. I have said this before we are all individuals and individual in our recovery. I might have had the same knee replacement as Dogloverx3 and been fine. Who knows? And Gingiebot you are absolutely right. The whole point of the forum is to discuss our fears and to get information and reassurance. There is no problem with your questions, there is no problem about @DogLoverx3 putting what her OS said on here like you say, this is the whole point of the forum. Please don't let this experience put you off posting and asking questions. You are most welcome to do that anytime. I may have made things worse by trying to quell a potential situation down but I had to act quickly before it got out of hand. Like I say, it is not your fault.

@DogLoverx3 thank you for this my friend. I'm sorry you're having a lousy day or whatever. I don't think reading my thread has helped you for which I sincerely apologise to you x x please realise that it is not your fault any more than it is mine. We are both totally honest about our recoveries xxxxx

Please take care
Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Doesn't it stink how our lives are controlled by the insurance companies trying to pinch pennies? So often it seems like if they'd pay for the treatment the doc wants in the first place they'd save money in the long run.

The lumbar injection seems worth investigating.
 
@DogLoverx3. I have had lumbar nerve blocks for back pain and referred leg pain and they were awesome! Helped me so much, and not painful to have.

@Jozilla and @Nana moon 27 thanks for your comments. Sorry to be such a worry-wart but I don't have much to do except sit around and fantasize. I try to keep my focus on handsome dudes but sometimes I fail.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom