TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jozilla, sorry but I fear my brain has hit overload (a lovely factor of having too many things going on at once that all need my immediate attention and I'm precariously close to 'shut down' mode) and I'm not really comprehending what I'm reading on the website of the doctor (who knew I'm a dummy). This is what it says:
"
Dr. Rubin received his Bachelor of Arts Degree from Tulane University and his Doctorate of Medicine Degree (MD) from the University of South Florida College of Medicine. After completing his internship in internal medicine at the Medical College of Pennsylvania/Allegheny General Hospital, Dr. Rubin completed his training in anesthesiology and pain management at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City.

Since that time, Dr. Rubin has practiced in a variety of diverse settings. After teaching as a faculty member of the Boston University School of Medicine, he went on to establish a clinic in an underserved area of rural Mississippi. In July, 2000, Dr. Rubin began practicing in the state of Arizona.

In 2004, Dr. Rubin established the Arizona Center for Pain Relief, which remains Arizona’s premiere interventional pain management facility. Dr. Rubin is board certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology. He is also a diplomate of the American Board of Pain Medicine, and an active member of the International Spine Intervention Society and the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians. The Arizona Medical Board frequently relies upon Dr. Rubin’s opinion regarding medical board actions.

With over twenty years of experience practicing medicine, Dr. Rubin has performed over 25,000 interventional procedures during his provision of care to thousands of patients, and is proud of his unwavering commitment to expert, compassionate, and ethical care."

That means he IS an anesthesiologist, right?

Thanks for the links @Chihuahuan as well as the good thoughts @dogwheels . Thanks, also. for the laugh @Phil75070

@hopefaith , in laymans terms - RSD is brought on by some sort of trauma to your body (possibly having your leg sawed off in 2 places?) - it's a condition that makes your nerves constantly fire .... may be the cause of my lingering swelling too ...... this procedure is sometimes 'cured' by one treatment, by all 5 treatments or not at all ... the link that Chihuahan posted explains it better than I can. I can't even type properly at this point.

They called today to get me scheduled.....i sent them to voicemail :-(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DogLoverx3 ,
Just catching up with your thread, as you know RSD needs to be nipped in the bud. I had a client with RSD, she went to a neurological chiropractor who practices Brain Baised Therapy. It took awhile, but she fully recovered.
Something you might want to look into as an alternative. Also some OT's and PT''s can help, be sure they have advanced training in RSD, also known as Complex Regional Pain Syndrome CRPS.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Pumpkln , hope you're doing well. I've never been a fan of chiropractors. Bad experience long long ago and now I hold it against them all. ;-) Yes, the doctor said the 'new' name for RSD was CRPS, I just couldn't remember the initials. He said something sort of interesting in that it's a 50/50 split on whether I should hope for the procedure to work. He says if it doesn't, then I don't have CRPS/RSD but I'll be left taking pain pills for however much longer. He says if it does help, then I DO have it, and although it can go away after 1 treatment, it may never go away..... I'm okay with taking my chances on whether it works or not, I'd just rather not have a needle stuck in my spine ........ ever :-(
 
Just wanted you to know there are other options out there. I would not want a needle in my back either, sounds like this guy is pretty experienced. He will probably use fluoroscopy or other imaging to be sure he is in the right place.
Hoping you receive relief from your pain,
 
Thank you @Jozilla and @Pumpkln. I appreciate you 'screening' for me. ;-) I'm just hugely overwhelmed with decisions right now and I tend to not want to make any when that happens so I can use all the input I can get. I know you were just offering options for me @Pumpkln and I totally appreciate it! Yes, he does it using an x-ray machine during the procedure
 
@DogLoverx3
Hi Ellen,

I am so sorry that you are going through all of this. I hope you can get it sorted out soon! It is a big decision to have to deal with. The doctor you are dealing with certainly has good credentials but you need to be sure it is right for you. Sending healing wishes your way for sure.

You had mentioned in an earlier post that you are taking Gabapentin. I have just been prescribed this, on top of the Hydromorphone, Celebrex and Tylenol that I am on. What are your thoughts on the Gabapentin. Has it eased the pain? I am still in pain but I am only on day one. I am to start with taking one three times a day for a couple of days then upping to 2x3 per day for a couple more then to 3x3 times per day until I am done at which time I hope all of the pain will be done with.

Happy to hear that the GoGos was a good time! Keep us posted on the new guy as well!

Take care!
:flwrysmile:
 
HI @71Beetle . Interesting dosage of Gabapentin for you. They started me the opposite - 1 a day, then 2 a day, now 3 a day as Gabapentin can make you very tired (of course, it has the opposite effect on me and I cannot sleep). It has been good for the 'nerve pain' that I have in my knee. The pins and needles, the sharp stabs and the 'zingers'. It does nothing for the general soreness of the knee as far as I can tell. I definitely notice when I forget to take one. My knee has been hypersensitive to the feeling of fabric or anything on the knee since my surgery and my original surgeon acted as if it was all in my head. My new OS said he would have started me on Gabapentin right off the bat the 1st time I complained of hypersensitivity as it can lead to what I'm dealing with now (although only a low percentage of TKR patients have to deal with what I am - yey me). Please keep me posted on how it works for you!

Thanks, I had a terrific time at the Go-Gos. New guy is out of town for another 5 days but sends me very pretty pictures of water, rubs in how cold it is where he is (it's 114 and humid here), and sends me a couple of texts a day...... I hope that you are doing well!!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I am debating whether to tell you what my new PT is doing with me, but I see you are overwhelmed with this decision, so I am hesitant. I also have the scar hyper sensitivity and it has decreased in just two weeks. There is more, but I will explain only if you would like. He does not say it is "in my head", but who cares where it is. It is so sensitive and it is what it is. I really dislike that saying, so invalidating. I really care what you are going through as we all do. So, let me know if you want to hear more. It is working and my knee has calmed down a lot in just 5 sessions.
~hopefaith
 
Hi @hopefaith , of course I'd like to hear what your PT is doing for you and I'm very glad that it's helping! My hypersensitivity is better (i can now wear pants and jeans without having to wrap my knee in saran wrap and it no longer bothers me when the sheets touch it), I'm just left with some exceptionally painful and erratic nerve pain (anywhere from pins and needles, to feeling like I'm being shocked, to feeling like I'm being stabbed with an ice pic - good times) ;-).

I'm so please you have found a good PT that cares and that your ROM has done so well!!! xoxoxo
 
:holysheep: @DogLoverx3 Are you awake too?
This PT works with a Neuro Brain approach. It is training the brain to accept the new joint. The pain signals come from the brain not the knee (I know....:thud:) and doing desensitization to tell the pathways from the brain to accept that I am not in danger anymore. Having a TKR puts some people (me) into a fight or flight mode, which makes a lot of sense to me, and they stay in that place. I am also doing exercises, so it is not only the desensitization stuff. He has given me two short books about this approach. They are all about nerves firing, so I thought of you.
Everyone has a different situation and make choices on their own situation. This is what I bumped into and it is really working for me. I respect your journey and choices too.
You have been through a lot and I care a lot about you.
~~hopefaith
 
@DogLoverx3
Hi Ellen,

Thanks for the info on Gabapentin. It is funny that you mention the hypersensitivity. I had posted on my thread that I am feeling that as well. It is like I can feel the hair growing on my lower leg - weird. I do not feel anything different since moving to the Hydromorphone on Monday or the Gabapentin yesterday. I guess I just have to let it get into my system.

I am pleased to hear that your new guy is keeping in touch with you while he is away. That is always a good sign. :)

@hopefaith, I would be interested in hearing more about the Neuro Brain Approach that you have mentioned. What books has your PT recommended? I will look at anything that gets me pain-free and drug-free sooner than later.

Hope you both have a fantastic day!
 
:holysheep: @DogLoverx3 It is training the brain to accept the new joint. The pain signals come from the brain not the knee
~~hopefaith

So it IS all in my head!

[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
This site is horrid today - I can barely read the posts! No idea what I'd do in your situation...thinking of you!
 
Hello @DogLoverx3- Just caught up on your thread and am so sorry you're having issues. Thinking of you & hope things improve for you!
 
@Phil75070 It is not all in my head, but there are a lot of nerves communicating from the brain letting us know if we are in danger. Very hard to explain in words on here. I agree with some of what my PT says and I disagree with a good deal too. I am really having trouble posting. My IPAd is very new, so I do not know what is happening.
~~hopefaith
 
@71Beetle Painful Yarns by g. lorimer Moseley is the one he lent me yesterday. I read another one , don't have that one anymore. Disclaimer haven't read this one yet.
~~h.f.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom