TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh @DogLoverx3 - I'm really sorry that your knee is playing up after riding the bike. I know 30 mins doesn't seem such a long time to be cycling - but perhaps in your case it is? Your knee really seems to have a mind and will of its own - and seems to love letting you know that it is still the boss. When the sore bit settles down, perhaps just 10mins on the bike and work it up gradually??

It must be so terribly frustrating. You think the knee isnt doing so bad, so you try and progress only to find the pain starts up again. However, if you don't try these things, how do you know what you can and cant do?

Hope the pain eases soon and you get some useful info when you see the OS.

XX
 
@DogLoverx3 - I'll echo @dogwheels - I have stayed very active and I still started with spinning at 15minutes at a go...I think anything new (again) you are asking of your knee needs to happen with baby steps. Have you tried a patella band? It's lots less bulky than a full knee brace, might help?
 
I do wear a Patella strap @TexasTee and while yours and @dogwheels thoughts on starting slow are good in theory, that's what I'm doing. I have a recumbent bike at home and have been riding that most days up until going back to the gym. There shouldn't be a difference between a recumbent and an upright bike, is there? For some reason I thought an upright would be better?

Yes, this is terribly frustrating. To do so very little and still end up injuring myself is very disheartening. :-(

Thanks for your thoughts and empathy. xoxoxoxo
 
AH - I didn't know that about the recumbent - but those are easier on the knee, perhaps its just different enough to cause stress on a different part. Who knows, it's all guessing and I'm POSITIVE it's all frustrating as heck. Another thought though - are either of the two options keeping your foot in a loop or in any way attached to the pedal? I have ridden a stationary but when I switched to Bill's trainer and used the bike pedals that clip on I could tell that I'd been over compensating with my good leg on the stationary, when both feet are attached, you can't do that. It was an adjustment!
 
Have to say @TexasTee when I used the bike at the Clinic, they were always very strict about making sure I put my feet right under the straps and operated leg on the pedal first. They also only have recumbent bikes in the Gym area of my Clinic. This is because they are easier than uprights as you rightly say.

@DogLoverx3 I think we may have already been talking on these lines, but to pay a tame physio to attend the gym with you and go through the equipment you want to use, along with a suggestion of reps and progression may be worthwhile.

I am also interested in doing some gym work again at some stage, so when I see my PT on Tuesday I will be asking for her advice and I will post on here if she comes up with any useful gems of information.

There is an article on broken link removed: https://www.livestrong about recumbent v upright bike - I found this bit interesting:

Upright Bike Position
Riding an upright bike will not be prescribed as part of knee rehab until you have a minimum of 100 degrees of knee flexion to complete one full rotation. The saddle height influences the amount of bend in the knee and being too high will place more strain on the ACL and the iliotibial band. Having the saddle too low will cause more strain on the patellofemoral joint. The Cartilage Health website recommends a high saddle during the first few exercise sessions to restore range of motion but says individuals should move the seat down as it becomes easier to go through a full pedal revolution.

Hope things are better soon
XXX


 
@Pumpkln
Aren't knees just the pits sometimes? I haven't popped in for awhile. I am thinking of you. I hear your frustration in the enthusiasm about the gym and then feeling like your knee wouldn't do what you asked of it.
You have had a difficult recovery. (I think @Pumpkln has a name for our group (: )
Check in when you are able.
I get it.
~hopefaith
 
@DogLoverx3
Hi Ellen,
Checking in to say hi and to see how you are doing. Hope your exercises are going better and that you are not feeling as frustrated.
Have a great weekend!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Ellen - dropping off a joke - keep your chin up girl, you got this!

[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
Now I've composed myself somewhat after reading the above cartoon :heehee::rotfl::rofsign:Omg. How are you @DogLoverx3. I hope the days going okay? Xoxoxo big hugs my friend xoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - hope you are OK.
Had a little chat to my PT today whilst she was slathering goop on my leg and wobbling my knee about.

She said that as long as the weight is built up gradually, the leg press is good, and the knee curl machines (I forget what they are called) are fine to do but can be quite tough on a new knee.
She said that Elliptical and Cross Trainer are particularly good and gentle on the knee as you don't 'pound' your steps like you tend to do on a treadmill, so the shock isn't radiating up to your knee as much.
She said that a Recumbent Bike tends to be more comfortable for exercise as you are more supported and that when you cycle on an upright there is more chance that you knee will 'twist' as you pedal which can cause discomfort and strain. She said that you cannot see what your knee is doing or the movement you are making when you are on the upright, but on the recumbent you can. I thought that was interesting and made sense.
Not sure if that helps.

She then told me that I should not be using weight machines yet, not because of my knee but because of my puffy ankle and Achilles tendon on the other leg!

Hope you and your knee are surviving your hot and humid weather.

XXX
 
Hi All! @dogwheels , @hopefaith , @Phil75070 , @TexasTee , @Ellejay , @icep707 , @yiayia3 , @71Beetle, @Pumpkln , @Chihuahuan, @Jozilla , @Nana moon 27 and everyone else that my befuddled mind has neglected to list....

Sorry for being MIA. I'm crazy busy this week. Lots of catering, issues with the dogs, doctors' appointment and life in general.

My knee is still having issues. Thank you for your posts and suggestions @TexasTee & @dogwheels . Here's where my frustration lies: yes, the elliptical is supposed to be 'good' and 'easy' for a TKR - it's not for me. It causes pain on the inside of my knee, where I would assume the bendy component (pardon my highly technical terms) would be. So while I 'should' be able to do it, I can't. As for the leg press, that doesn't hurt my knee, but does hurt my patella. Aside from the outside of my knee being swollen and 'heavy'/tight feeling, my patella is giving me just as many issues right now. I'm just at a loss. I see my OS tomorrow to try and figure it out. My nerve issues are pretty bad these days too. One zapped me last night while I was on the couch and made me scream it was so bad.

I spend most of yesterday working on my old house with the help of an ex's kids. The ex's new GF hates me. Why? Because the kids like me. Uhm, am I supposed to apologize for that? Anywhoo, I heard that the ex and the new (icky) GF are in a fight. And it's all because I have been posting comments on the kids' FB pages when they post pics from vacation and 'she' doesn't like that. Seriously? It's like she's 12. It's like she goes out of her way to act like an idiot and somehow the drama and blame always gets dropped at my doorstep. Ugh.

@Pumpkln , keep your eyes peeled for them. They're in Tahoe! ;-)

So you know that horoscope I posted a while back about things turning around in July? It 'may' be a teenie bit accurate. Not in an all encompassing sorta way, but I met a new guy (which is crazy because I can and have goneYEARS without meeting one). While I'm still not happy about the last one disappearing without much of an explanation, this one seems like a really good guy and he's wicked smart. He seems to like me - even after I was clumsy enough to dump my raspberry cider all over him on Monday! He sat there, for the remainder of our 4.5 hour date being all sticky and smelling like a fruit bin.

Whoops, sorry for the long & semi rambling 'catch up', but I just wanted to check in. I haven't had a chance to catch up on everyone's threads, but hope everyone is doing well with their knees and all else. I must run to a lunch date (yes, him) and then I have the Go-Gos concert tonight! Woohoooo! I promise to catch up and post about my OS visit when I can! xxoxoxoxoxoxo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DogLoverx3 - promise to make this quick as I know you are busy.
Sorry about the knee - it sucks and I so hope your OS can help when you see him.
The Ex's GF sounds like a basket case and I choose to ignore such people and you should too. Tragic if she takes it out on the kids but I think I know who they would rather choose to side with!
Enjoy the Go Go's - hope you have a brilliant evening.

Raspberry cider ??? Oh no, icky and treble icky. Still - if you like your men smelling of soft fruit that's your own affair. Gosh what with him wearing your drink and your sticky knee stuff, you will be inseparable.

Have fun!

XXXXX
 
hahahahha @dogwheels - thanks for the post! Too funny about your subtle opinion on my beverage of choice that night. You have to keep in mind that it's 114 here and that I try to steer clear of my beloved martinis on early dates (subsequent dates, watch out ;-))..... sadly I wasn't wearing my fly paper sav, but he seemed to cling okay to me anyway ;-)
 
@DogLoverx3 Have a terrific time tonight!! Not TOO much dancing - well, i suppose your OS would see the real issues if you let yourself relive the 80s dancing as well as the music, that is, if you could actually walk tomorrow!

I don't like the sound of a zinger that can make you scream - did you ever up the gambapenten?

Zealous ex's new gf...no fun, particularly as its the kids that pay for her insecurity. My kids birth mother was that way the entire time I was married to their dad, I just ignored her, there really was no other option.

As far as your knee and what "should" work - well, maybe ignore that too and find out what DOES work for you...maybe the OS could get you signed up for PT that would be able to assess the best exercises for you?
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 it's lovely to have you back again. We've missed you, I've missed you x x x as for the ex gf she needs to grow up. The kids have gone to you because they can trust you, you are a stable person, always there when they need you and she will have to get over herself I'm afraid. She sounds very insecure and she will lose him. Men do not like insecure, jealous, pita women. They like a woman who is warm and humorous and her own person.

Have a great lunch with the handsome beefcake and have a fabtastic night with the Go-Go's. You are going to be on a high after all this excitement. I certainly would be very careful on your drink choice avoid cocktails this early in in your relationship. An order for a "Screaming Orgasm" or "Sex on the Beach" may be misconstrued lol x x only kidding x x x Ellen you go off and have a great time now. I will look forward to hearing all about this. It's really exciting and I'm excited for you x x x good luck with the OS tomorrow x x x x take care Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom