Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oy, I need a drink after trying to navigate the site today. :beer: Just a quick post before I get kicked off. 2 things, well 3 actually

1) Thank you to everyone who has weighed in a 'screened' the doctor for me. Not sure why I'm not comprehending things lately. Information overload, I think. Anyway, as usual, I wouldn't be able to make it thru any of this without all of you! xoxoxox

2) I scheduled the procedure for Tuesday afternoon. I'm fairly terrified. I had them get the 'twilight' sedation approved thru insurance just in case I'm a total mess that day ( which I'm kind of guessing I will be). I can always say I don't need it when I get there, but if I didn't have them request it, I couldn't ask for it that day, so better safe than sorry. It's going to cost me $300. Boo. This will be the 'test' to see if does me any good. If I have to have the series of 5 after this, it will cost me another $1500. Money I don't really have right now, but I have to at least try this, right? I really don't want to be on meds forever.

3) I upped my Gabapentin to 3 per day yesterday and it's totally throwing off my balance. I can't tell you how many walls I've bumped into today or door jams that I've not navigated properly. Very strange. My knee doesn't feel like it's being stabbed, but I think I'm going to black and blue if my balance doesn't improve.

Okay, I've got to run, I hope everyone is well. I couldn't get into threads today and it took me 5 tries to have my page load. I can't wait to see the new site, but I wish I could check in on everyone..... xoxoxoxo
 
I hope everything goes smoothly for you on Tuesday Ellen. I will be thinking of you!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - just having a catch up. Like you, I seem to have missed whole chunks over the last few days.

I am glad that you have this procedure sorted for next week and really hope it does the trick. Should you have decided not to have it done, you would always be saying 'What if?' - so you have to give it a chance, don't you? I SO hope it works well.

Also really pleased that the new man is texting and remaining in contact while he is away - hurrah!

Perhaps this is the 'planets collide' moment when your knee, your relationship and everything else comes good? I cant tell you how much I hope this will be the case - you deserve it so much.

It is really lovely here at the moment, not too hot, nice breeze, seagulls screaming and a cup of coffee beside me. Husband is looking forward to sailing tonight as the weather is perfect for racing, then he is off to Spain for a few days 2-handing our friends boat, from Bilbao to Santander. I will get a few jobs done - defrosting freezer (ugh) a bit of tidying and sorting things for our charity event next weekend and then daughter and BF will arrive.

Yes you are right, they have been together for a year - time flies. He is very normal, pleasant and kind and has a good job - but there is no pzazz, and we all like a bit of that! Husband says he is a like a pair of well-worn carpet slippers - comfortable, reliable and that's as far as it goes. This is pretty par for the course with my daughter, she gets to know them and makes a decision if they could be 'The One' - but as yet no one has fitted the bill. She is happy to coast along - but then they often fall for her badly and start making life plans. At this point she extricates herself and runs - as she thinks it isn't fair to give them false hope. 5 proposals to date ........... need I say more!
Call it a Mum's intuition but there is a 'lurker' - you know, the sort that pops in and out of your life over a period of years that you will always make time to see. She has one of those. Scarily intelligent, funny and with a fascinating and unusual job that takes him away for long periods of time. He had his chance and blew it. He's back and has admitted he made a mistake. Mad and slightly dangerous to know ............. she is playing hard ball ........... he knows this, she knows he knows this .... it's better than a soap opera!

Well - hope your day goes well, the pups behave and the heat doesn't get to you too much!

XXX
 
@dogwheels , I love the catch up on your daughter's love life! Aside from the 5 proposals, I can somewhat relate. Hmmmm, on the 'lurker' .... I wonder how that one will play out. It may be a case of always wanting what you can't have, or maybe he HAS changed his ways from when he blew it the 1st time. I appreciate your sharing of the soap opera with me (and really, most of BoneSmart) ;-). Hee hee.

I have a very good friend who is dating a 'comfy pair of slippers' right now only he's the most hyper-sensitive thing in the universe. No clue why she's still with him - it seems like a LOT of work and angst for them both. He is head over heels for her, but needs constant reassurances. Sounds exhausting to me. Meh, what do I know, I'm still single at 46 .... ;-)

Anyway, thank you for your very kind words about my knee, procedure, love life and all else. From your mouth to god's ear that everything comes in line. :)

Thank you for dropping by @hopefaith . I keep you in my thoughts as well. xoxoxo

@71Beetle , I was able to get into your page today, so dropped you a little note. Thanks so much for stopping by! I missed everyone yesterday! I so hope your pain is less today xoxoxo
 
@DogLoverx3 Don't give up on your horoscope - you have 8 hours left in July, go forth and concur!!

Glad you are biting the bullet - so to speak - and doing the procedure...constant pain is just stupid and nerves can take eons to heal.
 
hahaha @TexasTee , I actually went back and tried to find where I posted that horoscope so I could re-read it. Okay, let's be honest here and maybe things are starting to turn around. I was able to get my old house rented. Our market tanked again and I wasn't able to sell it in the past 3 months and couldn't afford to carry it any longer, so hopefully I chose the 'right' family. Funny, everyone LOVED my house as a rental, but not to buy. Crazy. It's such a nice house - and clean too! :-) At least until she and her 4 sons move in. :chinstroke:

And maybe I met a guy who might last. TBD ..... he's still out of town and the day he gets back will be the start of my staycation with my 2 best girlfriends at a resort in town. We've made a pact to turn off our phones for Sunday & Monday. Not sure when I'll see him next. Boo.

Thank you for the kudos on getting the procedure. I'm still a nervous wreck about it and debating whether or not to have them do the 'twilight' sedation on me (does anyone know what that is and explain it to me please? does it involve a needle/iv? we all know what a tremendous baby I am when it come to needles). I just don't think I'll be able to sit still otherwise while someone is routing around in my spine for 10 minutes.

Oh, and uhm, I saw the picture of those finger shoes on @dogwheels page (or was it at the coffee shop?). They're kinda hideous. :sick: Sorry. Didn't they do a study and disprove the claims of them being better for your feet? Not long ago I remember a class action suit or something saying those shoes were, in fact, NOT good for your feet. I know you research the **** out everything (in a good way - meant as a TOTAL compliment) so I'm sure putting those hideous things on your feet will be worth it. :heehee:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 the Twilight is like what you would get for a colonoscopy. It is very fast though your first procedure is a little longer. That's why I would not let anyone but an anesthesiologist do it. I honestly got so much relief from the injections and I hope you do too. I did it without anesthesia but mine was like three minutes. Used a very fine needle. The dentist is 100 x's worse to me!
 
I think twilight can be achieved with IV versed or propanol. Last colonoscopy I had propanol and was out like a light. You wake up pretty much when they stop the drip. Versed was used prior and put me to sleep the first couple of times but I got used to it, I guess, and just made me groggy the next
 
My former FIL was a huge fan of Twilight! LOL - no idea how it's administered though.

No need to pull punches, those five finger things are attrocious! However, they are also super comfortable and the rubber bottom makes it possible to not slip. I have an English Mastiff. They are many things that are good. They are also a big bag of gross and drool a lot.

The plan for the shoes is to pretty much wear them all the time post op, they should be enough to keep me from slipping and stay dryer than those slipper socks. I also loath slipper socks. Not sure why I have such animosity towards them but it's clear that I do!

I'm glad you were able to rent your house and I'll keep my fingers crossed on the new guy!
 
@Texas Tee Hate to burst your bubble but for a while post-op you will not be able to bend your knee to put on anything but a slip-on shoe--that's unless someone puts them on and off for you.
 
I was just about to say tell @TexasTee that @Chihuahuan . Anything other than slip ons (slippers, or those tennies with no backs that you just slide your foot into) were impossible for me for weeks. Also, the foot on your surgical leg will be swollen :-( There's something about the angle of putting on shoes that is still a challenge for me. No clue if that would happen with a partial, but I am used to putting my shoes on by crossing one leg over the other so as not to have to bend down so much (yes, add back issues to the mix for me) and my TKR knee does not like the combination of bend and twist that is involved in that... boo.

My many trips to the grocery store and Walmart in sweats and slippers was not just a fashion statement so I'd fit in :-x, but also because it was all that I had a) the energy to put on b) was ABLE to put on ......
 
@chihuahauan - yes, I know that's a possibility but I'm well, thanks to yoga, I'm quite bendy! I can easily put on a shoe now while keeping my leg straight so I think it should still be possible. And they really are comfy enough to snooze in, they really just feel like your bare feet so put them on in the morning I think I'll be ok. Guess we'll find out!
 
Whoopsies, meant to say, since you're having yours done in February, the slippers I liked the best because they are a) comfy b)soft c)have a rubber non slip sole were Danskins - I bought them at Costco for $15 - they look like faux Uggs - you will want to buy a size larger than you normally wear ....
 
hmm - well, it's possible I'm wrong but regardless, they are freakishly ugly and fun to wear so I got that going for me :-)
 
@chihuahauan - yes, I know that's a possibility but I'm well, thanks to yoga, I'm quite bendy! I can easily put on a shoe now while keeping my leg straight so I think it should still be possible. And they really are comfy enough to snooze in, they really just feel like your bare feet so put them on in the morning I think I'll be ok. Guess we'll find out!
Hope it works for you but--with all due respect-- make sure you also have a back up plan.
 
Alright Leo's (@Phil75070 and everyone else), here is our horror-scope for this coming week:

Leo: As the Sun, Mercury and Jupiter align in your sign, you can rest assured that the dark days are behind you. This is a combination that speaks of new beginnings, new ideas and an optimistic spirit. You can expect opportunities for fun, new projects, growth and adventure. Although this sounds uplifting –and it is –there is a serious side to it. As the week progresses, it may become apparent that there is a journey or a process that you need to undertake. This is something that only you can do, so for a while, you might feel a little lonely, confused or misunderstood. What’s happening is that you’re embarking on a journey to get to know yourself better. Whether you engage in therapy or decide to take time out of your normal routine, whether you take yourself off on an adventure or go back to school, or whether you decide to follow a long held dream or go for a promotion at work, this is something that you need to do for yourself. Once you’re comfortable with this, you will find that life begins to get much easier.

Hope this little tidbit of silliness (I really don't believe in these things, but they're fun to read - after all, you can make most any horoscope fit into any situation) helps with whatever might be going on! :-)

It's raining here again and very gloomy. Yes, I love the rain, but I prefer it when the sun is shining. As we're spoiled in AZ and not used to rain, 5+ days of heat, rain, humidity and gloom are a little depressing! Especially since my girlfriends and I are checking in to a resort for our staycation tomorrow and MORE rain is in the forecast. That's seriously going to mess with our pool time! We've decided that if it does rain tomorrow, we will replace pool time with room service, cocktails and bad pay per view in the room peppered with copious amounts of gossip! Monday is supposed to be sunny, so it's all good.

Anywhoo, I hope everyone has a lovely Saturday and all knees behave themselves! xoxoxo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom