TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DogLoverx3 With your TKR last December, keep in mind that you are only just over 50% of the way to full healing (according to my OS anyway!). There is still a long way and a lot of time left for your knee to start being what you envisioned it to be when you started this journey! Chin up! Laugh and the world laughs with you! This doesn't hurt either:

[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
Oh poopy poop, and poop on a stick ........... I am so sorry that things are looking a bit bleh at the moment.

I wish I could sort things out for you, or at least be there and provide anaesthetic alcohol. Why is it that all these things just pile up in a poopy heap and get on top of us when we are at a low ebb and least fit to deal with it?

Wish you were here. We are sitting here just watching back episodes of M*A*S*H and eating roast chicken - the foxes are drooling in the back garden. Glad you liked the pics of Bubba fox. I was telling @TexasTee how they bring me little gifts, including on one occasion a half full vodka bottle. Or, as I said, this could possibly have been a passing tramp. On that subject, here's a story that hopefully will raise a smile ................................

A lady I know is really full of herself. Her husbands fantastic career, her children's intelligence, the people she knows (I'm sure you have a similar type in US). She actually doesn't amount to a whole lot - but I just humour her. Anyhow she lives just outside Oxford and used to leave her car unlocked on the driveway of her house ('Such a good class of people where we live, darling').
One day she jumped into the car and drove off, as she drove she could smell something yukky and thought she had trodden in something unpleasant. As she was considering pulling over to wipe her shoe, she saw a rather grizzled face in her rear view mirror, and a tramp sat up in the back seat. Ha ha ha - I couldn't stop laughing when she told me .......... she couldn't see why I found it so funny. Couldn't happen to a nicer person.

Hope that provided a moment of amusement. Hope that your knee feels better and things look brighter soon. Hope that everything will soon be working out really well for you - you so deserve it.

Take care XXXXXXXXXXX
 
Why thank you @Phil75070 , don't mind if I do. I've opted to throw the diet out the window for today and have dubbed today Prosecco Friday. May not help, but it certainly couldn't hurt. ;-) And yes, I know, a full year .... it's been a **** 6 months so the thought of waiting another 6 months is a tad bit daunting at the moment...

Thank you @dogwheels for your very eloquent post. ;-) I couldn't agree more. I don't often allow myself to get bogged down by everything, but this has not been a good year so far. I loved the story of the tramp in the backseat of her car. I'm surprised she didn't wreck the car when she saw him! And yes, I am VERY familiar with those type of people (self important mysoginists, not tramps) - I live near Scottsdale which is a playground for people who think they're better than everyone else. As an added bonus, the group I catered for this morning are all in the luxury real estate market and put together multi million dollar deals. Need I say more?

I don't need everything to go right for me all at once, and honestly probably wouldn't know what to do with myself if they did, but a nice 60/40 split would be just peachy. xoxoxoxo
 
Yeah @DogLoverx3 - my vocabulary seemed to get stuck on 'poopy' - I'll never win a Booker prize for my outstanding rhetoric - but the feeling was there!
Just as a post script my 'friend' exchanged her car shortly after the tramp interlude.
I am soooooo jealous of your clientele this morning - just my sort of people .......... NOT!
Over the years I have gritted my teeth, smiled, and thoroughly enjoyed taken the p*** out of that sort, without them even realising (which because they are so self-centred they rarely do). Ha bloody ha!

Take care and hope the weekend comes good - that's if you surface after Prosecco Friday!

Hope the 60/40 happens soon.

Love XXXX
 
Boo on your lousy day. I hope you can take some time to R&R this weekend.
 
Hello @DogLoverx3

I'm so sorry to read about you feeling blue. It is quite understandable though.you have every right to feel like this!

How would you feel if you could move back into your old place and rent out this little one? Is that an option. Although this goes against my opinion of always move forward and don't look back!

I would not have enjoyed that crowd you were catering for this morning. I cannot stomach the pretentiousness.

@dogwheels story reminded me of this that happened to me. My brother came over to pick me and the kids up once when they were small, to go to moms for Sunday tea. This was long before I drove. Anyway, it was the middle of winter, he gets out the car, knocks the door, we all come out and get in his car. We got down the road there was the worst stink ever and I thought my brother had an upset stomach or bad flatulence or something! Then, I caught him looking sidelong at me, by now I'm trying to mouth breathe because of this stench. In the end, I took my courage in both hands and said "what us that smell?" He looked right at me and said "I don't know?" I turned to the kids and said "have any if you got wind or a tummy upset?" My son piped up and said 'no but I think Uncle Andy has!" Well the girls giggled with laughter, as did I. We got to moms and gphe got out of the car. He walked Into moms house and he'd got dog mess caked under his shoe. He went back it to his car with a flashlight. It was all over the clutch pedal. He cleaned it and his shoe. When he came back in I couldn't resist but to say to him " oh Andy! Is that what they mean by a slipping clutch" "that was well slipping under your foot!" he didn't find it funny but we all did xxx

I hope you feel better soon.
Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Bummer @DogLoverx3! You have every right to have a whine/winefest - if I were closer, I'd join you. Well, actually, I have a glass of wine at hand so I suppose I am joining you!! Just, by the way, if this is something you are considering....if you are at the spa and not completely sure what a french bikini wax is...don't get it. The french, apparently, use dental floss for bikinis. I have far and away deserved my Chardonnay! But I digress.

SO - OS meeting was today and I like him a lot, I can't believe the literature that he sent home with me - it literally covers what exact implant he uses to how long to the day he expects you to wear compression stockings, how to get out of it if you don't want to - all the way to when you can have sex, and, I kid you not...to how. :yikes:

On the good news side - he's a cocky mother trucker and after taking nine trillion x-rays - he thinks he has a 75% shot at being able to do a partial. I apparently have 3mm's of cartilage on most of my outside of the knee...you can use a partial on any 2 of the three parts in the knee and he said that partials make it MUCH easier to do yoga and since that's my primary goal, that's his first option. I now have 3 days to decide when...no pressure, eh? You have to have a CT scan 2 to 3 weeks prior and since end of July is my target, that's my window. IF he gets in and there is a lesion he can't see (pretty sure, when I described the areas of pain he got squinty that the outside was included) he'll still be able to do the total but this gives me a possibility of a more conservative approach.
 
@TexasTee Nothing wrong with an OS being "cocky". I bluntly asked my OS why I should have him do my TKR and he said, "Bottom line, I'm good!".

A partial, from what I have read, can give you as much as another 15-20 years before they "wear out". If the recovery is easier and smoother than it would seem well worth it to go that route. Good luck!
 
@DogLoverx3 - sorry to hear that you are having a bummer of a time. I am just glad you are back on the forum. You are going through a lot and have reason to feel the way you do . Just so you know we are all here for you during the good and the bad.

I have had a vision board for years. My husband thinks I am nuts but I reach a lot more goals than he does so the proof is in the pudding right? I love it. I am always changing it and if I am really focused on something then I put mini boards or sticky notes everywhere with that one specific goal written on it. The more I focus on it, the more I work for it. I have read "The Secret" every year since it came out. I get more out of it every time I read it. I am a believer in all of that. I know a lot of people are not but it works for me.

All this talk about shootings and "tramps" in the backs of cars is making me miss my dog, Griffin. He is up north with my hubby and two younger boys for the week. My eldest son is out at a party and won't be home until tomorrow and I have now locked the doors and put down the blinds. I will post my dog's picture so you can see him. He weighs 100 pounds and though he is a big baby, strangers don't know that he is so I always feel protected when he is around :)
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Have a great weekend.

PS. @dogwheels Where I live, we refer to your 'tramp" as a bum and a "loose" woman a tramp. :heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DogLoverx3 You and I could have quite the conversations!!! I hear you that things are so hard right now. They will get better. You are a strong wonderful woman. (didn't someone say that to me a week or so ago. ;)
I hope you soon get that 60/40. :)
 
So I continued to pout today. I got a text from a friend saying she was coming by and I told her not to. About an hour later there was a knock at my door. I didn't answer (I warned her I was in a craptastic mood). Too bad I forgot I had given her a set of keys, so in she walked anyways. I was totally rude to her for a bout 4.5 seconds and then opted to share my Prosecco with her. ;-)

Yes @hopefaith , we absolutely could have a looooong conversation that would not be for the faint of heart. :scary:. Thank you for the kind words. I just kinda feel like a big fat whiner at the moment.....

@TexasTee :shocked:did you just type 'end of July' for your surgery? I'm on the fence about partials. I couldn't have one because I had issues with all quadrants of my knee (i'm so lucky), but I'm happy that he thinks he'll be able to do one for you. I have read that partials aren't 'much' easier to recover from than a TKR though. Knowing that you'd be in for a total down the line though, I guess, with your age, any time you can buy before having to go that route would be well worth it. Are you excited? Scared!? You are SO WELL prepared for this though. It's like you've been in training! Not to make you sound like a science project or anything, but I am really interested to hear how your recovery goes! Heck, I don't have any vacations planned until the end of summer and you're not that far, so let me know if you need any help! Oh, and as for the kneeling.... I actually got on and off the floor today on my own. It certainly wasn't pretty, but I did it. I was able to somewhat kneel too! Haven't been able to do that before. I bet if you double up on yoga mats, you'll be a-ok either way! xoxoxo

@71Beetle , your 100 lb vicious beast is BEAUTIFUL! Such a handsome boy! I love that your vision boards work for you. I think half the battle is believing that they will. I think I'm too left brained (or is it right brained) to really believe in things like that, so not sure they'd be beneficial other than being fun to make. There's really only one thing I want over all else and that would make for one hugely lame vision board!

@dogwheels ~ 'poopy' really summed it up, so well done! ;-) Sooooo, how do you really feel about runny eggs? :swoon:

Thanks @kneeper ! I appreciate the thoughts. I have a weekend full of laying by the pool and puttering around the house in the works. No plans to go anywhere; to get dressed or even to shower. :shocked:I love weekends like that! How are you feeling?

Thanks @Nana moon 27 - no, moving back to my old house isn't an option - it's a 2 story and those days are long gone for me. Even if I could manage to just live downstairs, the thermostat is upstairs and it would be a waste of half a house. Yes, I could totally rent out my new house. I had purchased a wonderful townhouse a few years ago with the intention of moving in there when I moved from my big house. Too bad that's a 2 story as well. Funny what a difference a few years makes. Honestly, 3 years ago I thought I was on my way to moving somewhere else..........with someone else. Silly me. :whistle:

I will get to my 60/40 one of these days. It's apparently just like my knee and will come about in it's own time. Drat!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I hope you start to heal soon physically and emotionally. All is want and wish for you is to have some sort of break from this year. Tbh I wish it for me too. These health problems are getting me down and coupled with life at times, feels very rubbish.

I'm glad your friend did that. We can be too quick to shut ourselves away. I offended someone a couple of weeks ago over withdrawal (unintentionally) but she still turned up the other night and bought me a card and a present. I explained why I did what I did and she was fine anyway. This person is not what I would describe as a close friend but she is a friend, more a very friendly work colleague but she thinks the world of me. The trouble is when she turns up she stays like five hours or more. She arrived at 5.30pm and left at 11 pm. My concentration span is nowhere near this. She is single, I know she is very lonely and fills her time up, not only with her full time day job but she volunteers for a local hospital and a child protection line. She has a heart of pure gold and I would not hurt her feelings for the world but you get my drift? Right? My best friend knows her too and walks in yesterday armed with presents, one of which she made herself bless her and a lovely card. She sat down and said "okay flower, I'm gonna be here till about 11pm". Well my my kids and husband fell about laughing and I laughed. However, then she said "the thing of it is that woman has a heart of gold, we all love her but I've had to work in close proximity on something all day today with her and I'm ready to scream!!!"

Have a good day Ellen, all my love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@DogLoverx3 @hopefaith I ran across this and perhaps it is something to consider:

Women are like apples on tress. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they sometimes take the apples from the ground that aren't as good but are easy. The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality they are amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who is brave enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree.

Now men......men are like a fine wine. They begin as grapes and it's up to women to stomp the sh*t out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.


[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

 
@DogLoverx3 - don't beat yourself up about the pout or the wine. It's hokum that you can't lose weight and drink wine. I am the poster child for this project! Everyone told me all the science hoo-ha and I still proceeded to lose 30ish pounds and my wine went nowhere. A wee bit less, sure, but give me a break, I was dating at the time. We all know that online dating requires some liquid assistance!

I've never had a vision board or even exactly know what it is but sounds interesting and what can it hurt?

Partial vrs total - honestly I've given it no thought as I was told years ago that I wouldn't qualify. Interesting that I do today!! Note to all of us who have friends who'll face this - don't listen to a all in one ortho, go to a replacement specialist if that's what you're going to do! If I'd gone last year, I WOULD have done the partial. It is a much better surgery and causes no complications if you need a total down the line. He said that the recovery is a few weeks less but not significantly since the real issue is the damage to the quad and surrounding muscles and tendons. For all intents and purposes, once the knee is in, that part is golden. It's the havoc it's caused with all the surrounding soft tissue and bone that causes the issues. Glad I have this site though, boy genus said that I could go back to work part time 3 weeks to a month with either surgery. Right...I'll get right on that. What I actually said was, really? And how long was it before you got back on the job after your TKR? He looked blank a second, then laughed and said, I might be a bit off on that timeline...
 
Haha @TexasTee ~ I love your comeback to your surgeon about going back to work at 3 weeks. I think at 3 weeks I was just starting to be able to concentrate for more than 12 seconds at a time. I won't even talk about the whole pain/walker/lack of ROM thing. ;-) When I researched surgeons, I only considered revision specialists due to my age and knowing that I would need a revision/replacement down the line (perish the thought of having to go through this again - ever!). I'm so glad your found an OS that you like and trust. I think they all have god complexes and like @Phil75070 said, it's probably a good thing to be so cocky in their line of work. So, have you picked your date yet? Okay, okay, I can wait the additional 48 hours that he gave you to make your decision. ;-)

You're awesome Phil! Thank you for posting your apple analogy. Not sure if it's true, but it was nice to read. Did love the men are grapes one though. Pretty spot on. KIDDING!

K, here's our horrorscope for this week Phil:

Leo: The waiting is almost over so if you’ve been wondering when you’re going to turn a corner or you’ve been waiting for something to happen –a new development, an end to a difficult situation, or a new beginning –the good news is that by the end of July, you should have a sense that things are changing. In fact, we could say that July is a month that is gearing itself up to support and encourage you. Whatever happens this week is a reminder of how tough life has been for many Leos over the last couple of years, but it also shows you how far you’ve come, how much you’ve gone through, and how much you’ve learned. You have, in short, matured considerably and now you’re ready to blossom. -
 
Hmmmm.....I hope that horroscope comes true for all of us Leo's! - a beginning of the end to the pain, stiffness, swelling......
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom