TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah thank you my friend @DogLoverx3 x x x I hope your friend helps you out ok xox xoxx can't wait to read about what happens, especially as she has her way of doing things x x x

And oh Ellen it's high time these knees allowed us a break now. My five month ankneeversary is due on the 3rd and on the 27th it's my 54th birthday, I can't be 54! I still feel 25 on a really rare, good day! Mind you, worse still is the admission that my eldest daughter will be 37 this year and her son, my grandson, flipping well 19. OMG where has all that time gone.

The funny thing is the time since my op has flown too. I thought it would have dragged x x x

Anyway, I hope you have a good evening, that your knee behaves and responds to your pain meds. Actually, you'd cut down today, I wonder if that's why you have the bad pain now. These things always get us evening and worse still at night!

Take care Ellen

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome that you have a little used pool - I'm afraid I moved into kid central so when I tried to use the pool last weekend I ended up collateral damage in a full on water pistol war...even so, wish it would get sunny so I could try again. 4 day weekend and it's been cloudy and rainy every day!

How funny about your friend walking in just as you were writing that sentence - :secret: I'm sure she means well but it is another important lesson from a failed marriage...if it gets done then it was done correctly...I, too, used to care a bit too much on the method of things. Much easier after you lighted the heck up.
 
:flwrysmile:Hi @Karringtyn ! Thanks for stopping by! Glad to read that you're doing so well! Sorry about your other knee though - keep us posted on what the doc has to say!

My knee has been a bit of a butt lately. Not hugely painful, but swollen, stiff and very 'full' feeling. It's pretty uncomfortable for me to walk, but I do it anyway. :eyebrows: I have been trying to just make do with Celebrex and Tylenol, but it looks like I'm going to have to go back to Tramadol in the morning and evening. Boo. I went over to my old house to check on things today and when I went upstairs, without even thinking, I did them normally! :tada:I had to hold onto the railing mind you, and it wasn't the most graceful thing in the world, but I haven't been able to do the entire flight one foot after the other yet, so that's progress I guess. Probably not having to walk them every day has helped. I came down the stairs normally as well, but I've been able to do that for a while.

Still no word from Insurance or my new OS on alternatives for the unattainable 'solutions' to some of my pains and challenges yet. With the holiday on Monday, I assume they're just behind but, as is par for the course since surgery, my memory is for poop and each time I think to call it's 9 at night. :umm:

@Danlovesmary , I saw that you posted on another thread about limping. Yes, in answer to your question, if you're still limping, you need to go back to your cane and concentrate on taking proper strides (heel, toe). I had to use a cane/crutches for months and months and although annoying, it helped. I found I always walked better when pushing a shopping cart. Well duh, that's because I had something to hang onto and take a bit of the pressure off. The rule of thumb is to not walk without an aide until you can do it without limping.

@TexasTee ~ sorry about the kid central pool. Although I love kids, I don't love other people's kids splashing and screaming when I'm trying to relax by the pool. :whistle:

@Nana moon 27 , I hope you've have a good day and your pain is well under control.

@dogwheels , I do love hearing about all your projects and outings, but it makes me tired to even read them! I'm so proud of how well you've done since your setback and it seems that you're just about 'cured'. :loveshwr: Thank you for posting about your questions to your PT. Loved them. Looking forward to the getting down and back up off the floor escapades. I could certainly use help with that. It's not a pretty or easy sight when I've tried.

To all those that I've missed (Bonesmart isn't letting me tag a string of names - boo), I hope you're having a great and painfree day!! xoxoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - sorry that your knee is still being a bag of poop. Wouldn't say I am running about like a spring lamb yet .... but I am getting there, slowly and gently :loll:and for that I am thankful.

I do hope that your insurance can sort out the funding for the meds that may help you. Just as so many people on here don't understand the delightful NHS/private system in UK, so the whole world of US medical insurance is way beyond my feeble brain I'm afraid.

How did it feel going back to your old place? My husband would shout at me for saying that. His attitude is always look forward , never back. So ..........although I am sure it was a bunch of mixed emotions, doing the stairs without thinking was a big plus!

I have to say, when I asked the PT today about getting down on the floor, my thoughts were all with you and your TV stand. However, I didn't add the bit when she said, 'you're bound to trip up and fall on your face at some point, so you need to be able to get up'. I choose to ignore that scenario or possibility. However, I bet lots of people on here would love to see me rolling around on the floor attempting to get up ...... comedy gold!

Although I keep myself busy and have a lot of fingers in a lot of pies - my life cannot compare to what you take on, Doglover. Mine is merely the life of an indulged housewife. I am very lucky and I know it. I've said it before, I am totally in awe of what you do and what you have achieved.

Given how much you love doggies, perhaps I shouldn't share this, but my daughter has just this minute texted from the vets. She had gone to pick up Gilbert's long term anti-inflammatories (bless his little cotton socks). One of the doggy patients waiting to be seen had eaten a fluorescent green highlighter pen. He was a Miniature Schnauzer and she said all his moustache and whiskers were vivid fluoro green - goodness knows what his insides were like. She said it looked really funny and she wanted to get a quick snap but felt it wasn't appropriate.
Must go now as its supper time. We will be eating the remains of my Sumo chicken for days!:chuckmarch:Chicken Caesar here we come ....

Take care Ellen - thanks for keeping in touch when you are so busy.

XX
 
I gotta find myself a doctor @dogwheels - and not for my knee or health either - just for my financial well being :heehee:. It was sad going back to my old house. I LOVE that house. I redid the entire kitchen, flooring, lighting and bathrooms after I bought it 10 years ago. I bought it at a time in my life that was pretty awesome and I just KNEW that although it was too big a house for just me and my 2 dogs, that I wouldn't be there myself long. 10 years later it was just me and my now 3 dogs. That house represents a lot of things for me - both good and bad and I hate having to sell it. :sad:

Uhm, what the heck is sumo chicken? I love the dancing chicken emoticon, btw. Hope your salads were yummy!

I hope the pup with the flourescent innards is okay. My dogs would absolutely do something like that, only they would wait until a holiday a weekend or until the wee hours of the night so that I would have to whisk them off to the emergency clinic where it costs $185 just to walk in the front door instead of my regular vet's office.:dogsniff:

I left another message for my new OS's PAs @TexasTee ~ hopefully I get a call back sometime soon. Meant to thank you, btw, for a post you made a while back about this being your new husband's 1st marriage and that he'd been too busy up until now to find his 'one'. Gives me a bit of hope that not everyone in my age range is a nightmare. :banghead:

Oh, and yikes on the Physio's comment on face-planting Chris! I'm sure she was kidding, but ouch. Not nice.

Keep up the great work on the morphine decrease @Nana moon 27 ! Hopefully the withdrawal symptoms will lighten up and be short lived! xoxoxoxo
 
Oy, I bought weather-stripping for the front door of the new house yesterday as that's one of the ever growing number of things that apparently needs fixing and I just grabbed the roll so I could replace the shoddy stuff at the bottom of the door. Uhm, yeah. In my mind, I'd just walk over, plop down and manuever myself parallel to the floor so I could replace it. In reality I walked over, remembered I can't GET on the floor and even if I could, since it's tile, there's no way for me to get back up. :(
 
Hi Ellen I will post a little later. Hubby's asked me to go visiting his friends with him Nice couple x x x will post later xxxx
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - sorry about the 'home improvement' setbacks. Also sorry that it was sad going back to your old place. I think sometimes it is easier just to shut the door and know that it then belongs to someone else, rather than have to return.
The Sumo chicken refers to a 'larger than life' chicken I bought for supper last night, as my daughter loves roast chicken (so does Gilbert the Rat). It was HUGE and took ages to cook. I teased NM27 and said it was 'Sumo Chook'.

XX
 
Just checking in on you . Hope everything works out for you. You deserve a break soon. Im still off work . As my boss wanted me to take another month off. Apparently he knows people that had complications and fears I go back too soon . Fortunately short term disability will cover as my OS approved my delay. I wont lose my job, status or benefits from work . I just havent been contributing to my 401k. Costco is great . So I get to enjoy this unbelievable weather and relax . Good things will come your way , everyone is pulling for you ! I hope I didnt offend you , when I suggested that perhaps your very early activities after surgery , contributed to your slow healing in my last post to you . When is your next appointments ? And who will you see ?? Your surgeon or or the 2nd opinion one ? Well best wishes . Iceman
 
Hi @icep707 ! Thanks for checking in. I appreciate your good thoughts and wishes. Of course I didn't take offense to what you said in your last post. It's the truth. I'm quite certain my recovery is so slow due in large part to my overdoing things so early on. I wish it could have been different, but there was no way around it, so now I'm just paying the consequences.

So glad things are going well for you. I've heard that Costco is a terrific company to work for and your boss' concern for your well being just supports that! I'm so happy for you. Enjoy your time off and the lovely weather!

My next appointment is on Monday with a pain specialist. The one who does nerve blocks. Although insurance won't pay for any procedures, and I most likely won't be able to afford anything with him, I would like to find out my options and what alternatives/suggestions he may have for me and what he thinks of my persistent swelling. The consultation won't cost anything, so I may as well have him check me out and see what he has to say.

I won't be going back to my original surgeon again. After reading his office notes for me and how he reduced every single one of my concerns to being 'silly', although he may be great at surgery, his after-care kinda sucks. I will have all subsequent check ups and issues with my (not so) 'good' knee with my 'new' OS. As he's just my age and well respected in revisions, he'll be around when/if I need either my left knee done or my right knee re-done (although I can't think of anything I'd like to have done less than to go through this again).

Take good care of yourself Ivan! Thanks for popping by!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 it's always lovely to hear from you. Im so sorry about how you feel about your new house. I felt sad for you when you voiced your feelings about your previous one on here earlier. I felt your pain. Do you think that maybe Connor might come over and do the weather strip for you? Only a suggestion. You might also get some catch up too.

I'm feeling rotten, my knee is starting to growl at me a bit, (pain). I'm anxious, sweating and feel weird. I know it's withdrawal. I'm really tired too. I had a great evening just being sociable although I did try to stay home because of my profuse sweating.

Good luck with the pain specialist. I hope he can help you. You need a break now x I think your previous OS was a bit of a fool to say the least.

Ellen I hope you don't mind me responding to something @dogwheels said earlier on here...

Chris, there is no such thing as "merely an indulged housewife!" When you are at home doing the cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing, managing bills, sorting out elderly parents, sorting out your husbands sailing gear, crafting, shopping and being there for your daughter and Gilbert , keeping your lovely home, as well as recovering from a TKR and a setback mmmmmhmmmmm............ Xxxxx hardly indulged....I'd say totally awesome too! Just think how much all this stuff would cost if you had to pay someone to do all this! Xxxx and you have worked too in the past! Love Nana moon 27 xxxx

Ellen I hope you get answers on Monday. I will have everything crossed for you x x x

All my love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hiya @Nana moon 27 ! I'm so sorry you're not feeling well again and are in pain. I'm glad you got out of the house for a bit though. I absolutely agree with what you said about @dogwheels not being an indulged housewife. As I knew she was kinda kidding (otherwise she would have HIRED someone to have her TKR for her) :heehee:, so I didn't address it but yes, she has many many responsibilities taking care of the doctor, the house, the gardens, the kids (2 and 4 legged) and else.

Sorry about my whiny sad sack post above. I'm really not as pathetic as I make myself sound sometimes (although sometimes I am), I'm just having a weird week. I don't like holidays when I'm alone. Any long weekend without fun plans or someone special to spend them with puts me in a funk. Boo.

Thanks for the good wishes for the pain guy on Monday. Hopefully he'll have some ideas for me (that don't involve having to sell a kidney in order to pay for it). As for the things around my house that I need help with, C. comes every other weekend for a couple of hours, so this Sunday I should see him. I need him to mow the lawn for me at the old house and I want him to hang my bike upside down from the ceiling in the garage here and I guess I'll ask him to do the weather stripping too. So annoying not being able to do such simple things on my own.

I am off to read for a bit (it's too hot to do anything outside - plus I really can't do anything anyways) and hopefully my funk will leave soon. Thanks for always being so sweet. xoxoxo
 
Anytime @DogLoverx3 I envy the warmth but not that searing heat you have x you do not sound like a whiny sad sack at all. You're just quite rightly and understandably fed up!

I get cross not being able to get things out of the bottom of the sink unit! I so hope the pain guy can help you. Lord knows you deserve a break x x x x
 
@Doglover Its been a while since I've read your thread and I'm sorry to say I had a good laugh about you getting on floor... I did the same thing only it was a cookie I dropped. I was so afraid of getting ants. When I realized if I got down I'd never get up or wouldn't know how. I actually waited for a friend to come over praying no bugs. Not only did she find my dropped cookie but 2 pills a few pens and landed up with an allergy attack from kitty's hair. You mean I have to vacuum under things too??? Sorry to hear about your sore knee and horrible about the dumper what a cowardly thing to do. At least you got some good meals out if it...
Restaurant week in NY was awhile ago and when I wanted to go missed the time by a few weeks. Hope your feeling better by the time you read this. Oh, and also my mom taught me to always ask for samples just in case it doesn't work.
I actually went to or had to see a Workmans comp dr. today..he said my knee is nice and straight but not bending enough. Told him I ride stationary bike his reply not enough need to pull knee inwards. I was shocked. Thought knee would pop out. He showed me a few exercises to do and filed his report away. As you might tell I'm in no hurry to go back to work. Kind of love not working. Just hate that I can't do the things I used to do. Like get down on the floor.
My new mission is to paint bedroom wall and old dresser. Pictures of before and after will be posted when I get my lazy butt to the store to buy paints.
Oh and one more thing to add. I too had to buy new clothes. Lost 30 lbs...mainly due to no appetite cause still taking oxi. Have different effect in me...wide awake and not hungry.
Hope you all have a good night...I know I'm rambling but just got home from meeting a friend for dinner. Still can't figure out why bar tab is always more than the food.
Guess I'll sleep good tonight..and no I didn't drive or take a pill.
Night all....



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom