Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @DogLoverx3 - that PT was a useless waste of space - good for you in walking away. I really hope that there is some sort of 'karma fairy' that will ensure that all people making thoughtless remarks have what we have had ........... only worse!

In answer to your question, you may have seen my post to NM27 saying that I walked up the stairs 'properly' several times yesterday - then I read her post and it scared the 'mars bars' out of me. Haven't repeated the trick today as husband has been out doing 'boat preparation type stuff' and I didn't think it would be so clever to do proper stair climbing while on my own. I held the bannister rail, but only normally (I didn't haul myself!).
It all came about as I was bored with my step exercise (leading with the operated leg), so thought I would just try a couple of stairs and see if I could do it. I could - so did the whole flight, and repeated it several times throughout the afternoon. I have subconsciously gone to step up on the operated leg several times at home and at the hydro pool, and the PT said it was a sign that I would soon be able to do it - so she was right. I don't intend to keep doing it - I don't really need to go upstairs during the day - but it made the exercise a bit more interesting and saved me wearing out one piece of the stair carpet!
I know from past experience that it will be AGES before I am able to come down in the normal way though.

Hope the viewings go well tomorrow and you find somewhere perfect.

X
 
:happydance:thank you for all the wonderful replies! I walked the stairs 'normally' just once a few weeks ago, but haven't since and was actually scared to try today, so not sure what's up with that. I think I've taken to treating my knee like a Fabrage' Egg as I don't ever want to have to go thru this again :boohoo:I'm going to get it it's own hermetically sealed, cushioned and protective case so nothing can touch it! :heehee: The 1st dippy dippy gal last night asked me, when I told her that I'd had a TKR, 'would you do it again'? :shocked: Uhm, let me try to heal from this one before I answer that. What an odd question! Like, would you buy another Toyota Tundra.... some people are just weird. :what:

@Chihuahuan , we usually get rain the day after CA does. Not sure how it works for you in NM. AZ is weird in that it can be sunny and still rain on you. Today has been intermittent rain, sunshine, black skies, pouring rain, drizzles and hail. It's been 70+ days since we've gotten rain, so it's much needed and helps to get all the 'stuff' out of the air that floats around. Allergies have been a killer this year so far.

@Jozilla , thanks for weighing in and yes, I think there should be some sort of rule that unless you've have the procedure yourself, you are not allowed to make ridiculously un-motivating and hurtful comments.

Thanks for looking up your stair records @kneeper ! :)

Geez @dogwheels , you're doing awesome! So, no ill effects today from your up and down routine yesterday? Yes, best not to try stairs when you're alone! And I will never EVER be able to look at a Mars Bar the same way again :heehee:

Thanks for popping by @icep707 ! Very smart to carry your cel phone and unlock the door before trying the stairs. I have found that I carry my cel phone with my absolutely everywhere now in case something should happen. You've been doing very well with your recovery and are a bit ahead of the game, so that's awesome! Just be sure not to try too much too soon! Thank you for your kind comments about me fostering as well, I do it for purely selfish reasons! They make ME feel good! :puppysmooze: I love that saying that although you can't change the world, for each dog you help, you are their world. :puppysmooze:

I try not to compare myself to others and have resigned myself to being a bit 'slow' in all of this, but it absolutely helps to hear how others have done ~ both successes and challenges! I'll master the stairs eventually.... just not today :wink:

Well, it's thundering here again, so I must go get my beagle mix TJ out of the bath-tub (he hides in there when there's bad weather ... poor guy)

Oh, and @Nana moon 27 , thanks for the good wishes on the house hunt tomorrow. I seem to be chasing the market again and am a few $$$s short of what I would like, darn it. :umm:If only I'd thought of this a few months ago I could have gotten exactly what I wanted. Boo.
 
I live in a 3 level house so had lots of opportunity to go up & down stairs right from the start :whistle:, but didn't feel comfortable going down them "normally" until just after 9 weeks.... up until then I kind of lurched step over step. What turned the corner for me was a goofy exercise I devised by walking up them backwards a few times a day; just started with 3 or 4 at first then evolved into going up 2 flights of 14, 2 or 3 times a day. The reason I started doing that was I realized my gait going down was lurchy because my feeble brain didn't realize my "good" leg was strong enough to land on the ball of my foot and balance for the brief time it takes for my new knee to flex and reach down to the next step. :scare: But going up backwards is less scary (whoever heard of falling UP the stairs?) and inherently slow so Brain gets trained to accept that it's OK to put full weight on one foot at a time.

Anyways, I've read most of your story here & I think it's wonderful that you're doing so well, especially since you have to be so active & on your feet so much.... I bet your knee is trying to convince you to just buy a winning lottery ticket & take a break :snork:
 
Your rainy days sound like ours--sometimes it's as though it's just spitting mud! It's cloudy here at the moment so I'm hoping for a good rain in the night -- it often hits north of us on an angle across the state. Fingers crossed --we need it very badly…..
 
I'll keep my fingers crossed for your rain @Chihuahuan ! I've gotten spoiled living here. Although I love a day or 2 of rain (especially when I get to stay in my jammies all day), more than that and I miss the sun. :SUNsmile:

Really @saltyal ? Backwards? That's kind of brilliant!! Now with the going up backwards, were you 2 stepping the stairs (both feet on one before advancing to the next)? I'm going to have to try that! Although I must admit that I actually have fallen UP the stairs before. Truly comical the accidents I manage to have. :whistle: Thank you for your kind words as well. Now if only my knee could tell me those winning numbers! Your award for trudging thru my whiny thread is in the mail, btw.

I truly love Bonesmart and all the wonderful people on here to offer support, advice and empathy. It really is like a little family and I don't know what I would have done without you all! xoxoxoxo
 
going up backwards, were you 2 stepping the stairs (both feet on one before advancing to the next)?

I can't remember for sure if I did that or not when I first tried it, but probably, yeah for the first few steps. But pretty soon I got the hang of it and just went left-right-left all the way up. Of course my wife looked at me funny and asked a rude question:loll: but Dog just wagged his tail and followed me up & down :puppysmooze:

Thanks for dropping that award in the mail; I'll probably get it about when I get that cheque from my BIL... :heehee: You're right about this wonderful forum being just like a family, except for the shortage of dysfunctional members; maybe I'll take on that role if I have to do the other knee!
Cheers, Al
 
Went shopping today with my 3 year old grandson and my daughter. Started at 1000 and finished at 4pm. Knees feel pretty good but I am tired. After seeing the posts about stairs, I am going to try them backwards. You all are an inspiration.
Patty
 
hahaha @saltyal , my dogs would follow me anywhere (when they weren't weaving in and out of my legs and trying to knock me down the stairs, that is) :puppysmooze: Maybe I should put them outside before attempting this:wink:

wow @pattymcb , that's a long day of shopping (even without 2 new knees)! Glad you're feeling so good. You put me to shame in your abilities and I only have 1 transformer knee. :snork: Be sure to let me know how the stairs go!
 
Hi hope you did well this weekend. I am still healing well and though I don't know for sure if rom improving it am getting marginal functional improvements every day. Can move faster and higher to to the brake in car, and on exercise machine and can finally ride a stationary bike. so I am getting better.

Hope your pain levels are improving as well while you are chasing those puppies up and down the stairs. Any way the rain has stopped for awhile and with what we have had in the last three days I think that is a good thing or Noah would have to bring his ark in and ship all of us east. Have a great week and keep improving.
 
Has it been so long that I couldn't even find my own thread? Someone changed the 'title' so I couldn't find it. Just wanted to pop in a give a quick update. I still haven't tried the stairs backwards as with my lovely ability to hurt myself doing absolutely nothing, I think I should have someone at the house before I try it. But I will.

I was out looking at houses for several hours yesterday. I was limping fairly badly which annoyed the heck out of me, but whatever. My poor realtor was faced with seeing me sans makeup or even an outfit that matched all that much (one of those days). She did luck out as I showered though, so yey for her! I'm totally overwhelmed with the prospect of moving - choosing the 'right' house, spending all that money, packing, moving, getting my house ready to sell - all with a questionable knee. Yikes.

I am feeling a bit better though. I haven't been to PT since last Wednesday and am not schedule to go back until the 11th, but between all the wandering around my house I do and knowing that I can now get up from my recumbent bike (not that i've actually used it yet), I think I'll be fine. I wasn't as stiff this morning *knock on wood* as I usually am. Although I'm not doing formal PT (I kinda need to be held accountable, so actually like PT), I've been doing lots of leg stretches and straightenings on my own. I walk my stairs at home (2 footed, of course) a couple times a day and actually just went and pulled some weeds in the yard (remember when I tried that a few weeks ago and didn't have a great outcome?). I feel okay though. Can still only sleep in 2 hour blocks though. Boo.

@fiftydollarbill , thanks for checking in! Yes, the rain on Saturday was CRAZY but much needed (and helped me to dislodge the ginormous weeds in the backyard). Haha on chasing the pups up and down the stairs! I'm still a nervous wreck that they're going to knock me down the stairs in their zeal to get their food bowls in the morning. Way to go on the bike! Quite a sense of accomplishment, huh? It's such a good exercise for your knee too! I'm happy for you! It sounds like your ROM is improving! It's just hard to see as it happens in such tiny increments sometimes. My pain levels are pretty good - no Tramadol needed yesterday and only took 3000 mg Tylenol & 1 Diclofenac throughout the day yesterday (and didn't ice or elevate - shhhhh). I did go to bed at 9pm though as I was exhausted.

Well, I'm off to take food to my little couple (I bet they'd hate that I call them that) and to re-look at a couple of the houses from yesterday. I am STILL not happy I had this done, but I only curse my surgeon a couple times a week know instead of a couple time a day. Progress, right?

@Nana moon 27 @dogwheels @Chihuahuan @Karringtyn @pattymcb (amazing that you shopped for 6 hours!) @saltyal @Ellejay
@Ziggysmom @Bentley's Slave (i've been worried about you, how are you?) and everyone else I've forgotten (early onset senility seems to be a side effect of the surgery), although I haven't checked in, you're all in my thoughts! xoxoxoxo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a little bonus for everyone that trudges through my thread. This is my awesome nursing staff and rehab team. I think they're union ;-)
 
Oh, @DogLoverx3, they are so gorgeous, and the fact that you are well on the mend now shows they have done a good job of nursing and rehab.
Good luck with house hunting, now we've both retired we keep talking about moving, but we've been in our present house for 30 years, and we looked at fifty properties before we found this one. It's nothing special, but we were being very particular about everything we wanted and this one ticked all the boxes. I can't contemplate going through it all again, I suppose we'll have to eventually.
The other reason we stay here is that I know I will need my other knee replaced and I really like the hospital and my OS, so I don't want to move out of the area.
Take care xx
 
@DogLoverx3 Hi there - your doggies looks absolutely adorable. Have not posted for a while - first of all I was feeling that my progress was poor and I could not face putting up my failings. However, I seem to have finally turned a corner and am feeling much better. BUT ANOTHER REASON - and no laughing please and bear with me - I usually put my iphone down my bra when coming downstairs. Last Saturday when I went to hydrotherapy I put my phone down the front of my swimming costume before leaving home to go downstairs and, yes you've guessed it, the phone did hydrotherapy with me. Needless to say it is dead………….had to wait to get a replacement.

Now at Week 9 and life is getting better. Knee still feels 'clonky' at times but is less hot and does not swell so much, except when I do too much. Been reading about walking upstairs - hmmmm - not so good as I am still going up one step at a time - my operated right knee is very safe but my left knee is really painful (that too needs replacing). My ROM is coming along and getting slightly better each week. I am now able to drive which is so liberating after so many weeks stuck at home.

I actually worked on Thursday and Friday last week - I was scheduled to provide flowers for a large wedding and had to get other florists to do it but I actually managed to work from 10am to 11pm on Friday which is amazing.
OK my knee gave me hell afterwards but at least I did it.

Bentley is now back home and is fabulous. He had not bumped into my knee at all nor tried to scrape his paw down it begging for food.

I have been reading the thread and, as usual, @Doglover3, you make me laugh with your antics. Cant believe you are looking for a house - do hope you find one. Like you, I am still not happy to have had the knee replacement, but it is far less painful than the one that needs doing…..!!!

Take care
 
Your rehab team looks to be kind of wiped out :yawn:.... but potential trouble-makers too!. I just got back from a long walk down at the beach with Woodstock (98 pound boxer/bullmastiff mix)... I did just over 2 miles but he probably doubled that so he's snoring in the sun now:sleep:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I absolutely adore your dogs they are soooooo cute! Which one is Dickens? None of them look 17 years old so you must look after them ever so well. They look so healthy and relaxed!!!!! I hope that you find yourself a nice new home soon. I have come to bed early, firstly to take my pain meds and secondly my husbands mate just turned up and he'd brought me a big Toblerone bar. I thanked him but I left it downstairs til tomorrow. I'm outta the way now and thought I would do a bit of posting. I'm just glad that you are having a better day now x x x x x x x x I'm at the same stage as @Bentley's Slave and my left knee has been killing me today. Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo. (Hugs):puppysmooze:
 
The dogs say thanks for all the compliments :puppysmooze::puppysmooze::puppysmooze: (Dickens is the redhead up front @Nana moon 27 ) and yes @yiayia3 , I love them to bits!

I can totally understand your not wanting to move @Ellejay (love the pic!) - 30 years would be hard to pack up! Moving is such a supreme pain in the patoot and I really wasn't planning on doing it until next year, but I think my knee and I would just be happier with a fresh start somewhere new. Too bad that I'm downsizing. Uhm, I have to figure out how to reduce a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom 2,400 square foot house into about half that! :shocked:

@Bentley's Slave it's SO good to hear from you! I was worried about you and figured you were having some down days so were just being quiet :console2: I'm so glad you're doing and feeling better! My knee feels totally klonky and it's like walking with a transformer part. Feels so unnatural to me! Pretty sure I look like some sort of moronic marching band member when I try to walk 'properly'. I still can't do stairs the right way and put both feet on one before advancing. Aggravated my dogs to no end being so slow. :heehee: I can't believe you worked such long hours!!! I'm sorry your knee made you pay for it afterwards, but golly, that's a loooong day. So glad your ROM is improving as well! Crazy how there are so many set backs and advances during this process. Hopefully there will be mostly advances from here on out!!!

So jealous @saltyal ! Nothing makes me happier than being near/on/in the water and walking on the beach. I think I would be nervous to walk in sand though (but then again, I'm not very coordinated). Oooh Woodstock much be very handsome! Are you sure he didn't take you for a walk? :whistle:

@Nana moon 27 , I hope you're feeling better. My knee is quite ticked at me today. Not sure if it was the stairs, the weed pulling, the grocery shopping (like a big girl with no electric cart) or the wandering through houses today but it's big and swollen and sending me zingers at the moment. :hissy: I find house hunting hugely stressful. I used to move every 2 years, but I've been in my current house (which I used to love) for almost 10 years and it's just time for a change. A fresh start, if you will. :) I just don't want to pick wrong! (like I do with men) :rolleyes:

Hope everyone is having a good night and gets some good rest! xoxoxo
 
Thanks @DogLoverx3 I think your knee like mine just reacts. It's worse for you cause you do more than me. You are back at work, you house hunting doing own shopping and driving and looking after others. I think you're right about a fresh start I do understand that.

Dickens is gorgeous what more can I say!!! Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo (big hug for my lovely friend) :puppysmooze:​
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom