Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no offence at all it is just sooooo funny the coincidence xxxxxxxxxxxx:puppysmooze: That did me more good than any medication honestly it was seriously the best laugh I had in weeks:heehee:
 
Thank you for the kind words @dogwheels . Sweet of you to say. Believe me though; if I had the option of following the mantra to a 't' I would, so don't ever feel bad about doing what you're supposed to be doing (or lack of doing anything as the case may be) ;-) in order to make your recovery as smooth as possible!
 
@DogLoverx3 I'm sending lots of healing thoughts your way. Hope you can arrange to have someone help out for your next event -- I hate to think of you hurting yourself with a wobbly knee and having a major setback.
I've been watching the Olympics during the day time --love the figure skating. I've also become addicted to Murdoch Mysteries that I get on Amazon Prime. I've got through 5 series when I do my PT.
Take care of yourself. J
 
Hi @Chihuahuan the figure skating is amazing! They make it look so easy!!!! Those Olympic Games have saved my sanity... Pure class love em!!!! X x x
@DogLoverx3 thinking about you. I hope your knee is leaving you in peace!!!!
Catch you later x x x love Nana Moon 27
 
My ziplock baggie and i decided to meet a friend for happy hour tonight. Probably shouldn't have gone but what can a single gal do on Valentine's Day if not go meet friends for a drink? After my craptastic couple of days, I actually had a drink. Uhm, bad idea. I guess when they say you shouldn't mix pain meds with alcohol, they mean it. Not that anything crazy happened but it made me sick to my stomach and I was back home, in bed, with one of my pups within 2 hours. Just as well. I was getting jealous of seeing couples out on dates.

Thanks @Chihuahuan & @Nana moon 27 . I'm going to do my best to be a good girl. A lot of my events come up last minute and none of my servers are available. Also, they don't have 'real' set end times so even if I were to ask a friend to come help me at home, I wouldn't know what time to tell them. All excuses of course. I'm trying to learn to ask for help. Old habits die hard though. There's only one person I've ever truly allowed to help me with anything I needed and since he's not in my life anymore, it's a difficult transition.

Anywhoo, I'm currently in bed with my leg up and just got done watching a movie on hbo.go . I took an allergy pill a while ago, so hopefully i'll be able to sleep. I hope everyone is having a good evening (or as good as their knees will allow). xoxoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 , that was a very sincere and honest post. You always do your best!!!! it's 5.40 am. Not the best of nights. My knee is ouch right now. Too early to take anything yet. Anyway please try and get some rest. I hope that you sleep. Chat when you wake up xoxoxo:puppysmooze:
 
Morning @DogLoverx3 I hope that you are ok? I really hope you managed to get a break from the pain. I'm high in morphine. Had to increase dose cos pain ripped through me this morning! I know you understand that one!!!! Bloody PT I must have overdone it again and not realised!!! Looking forward to hearing from you. I've put other stuff in my thread today if you get bored and wanna read!!! Hope all is ok my friend (hugs) xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo:puppysmooze:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I often read your thread and think what you are doing is amazing. I feel like I am one of the exceptions and am extremely fortunate. I don't know if there is any reason for that but I am almost afraid to have my other knee done thinking it won't be so easy. I had my surgery Dec 9 so I am one week ahead if you. I have been back to work for two weeks but I could never do what you have done! I find standing painful so am lucky I can sit most of the time at work. Your work is very challenging compared to mine. I know I would not have been able to work for at least another four to eight weeks if I had to stand or walk.

You should be very proud of what you have accomplished and I think you are doing wonderfully. Yes your posts are very helpful to many members and you have a great way of expressing your story. I love bonesmart because of all the truths I have found here good and bad. Knowledge is helpful in knowing how to cope! I hope you have a great weekend and get some needed rest.
 
@Jozilla, thank you SO MUCH for your kind post. I need it today as I'm in one of my self pitying moods again. I needed to go to the store and as it's supposed to be 80+ here today I opted to wear a skort which shows my knees. I ran into someone that I distantly know and she was kind enough to let me know that my knee looked 'bad' and like it needed to be drained. :sad: Gee, thanks. My knee almost looks like a knee when I 1st get up in the morning, but the second I stand on it, it swells up. I know that's a factor of my own doing, but I just hope it's not permanent. I am thrilled that your recovery went so well! Hopefully your next one will too! Funny that you think I'm doing so well and I don't see it that was and I think that YOU are doing amazingly well!

@Nana moon 27 , I'm sorry that PT left a lasting impression on your cranky knee. I SO WISH you could get off that morphine and onto something else. I'm seriously considering flying across the pond to kick your Dr with my good leg. :angel: I hope you've had a good day today and are feeling better (throat & knee). Thank you for always checking in with me and caring. xoxoxoxo

@Pumpkln , may I ask you a question please? I joined a gym 3 months ago and actually went to 'visit' it for the 1st time today. :blush: I got a tour of everything and 'think' I know the machines I could use, but as you're always so helpful with things like this, I was hoping that you'd be able to offer me some suggestions. I was thinking maybe the eliptical on no resistance for maybe 10 minutes? I know I shouldn't use any of the leg/knee machines, but was wondering what you thought about using ab machines where I hook my legs under the little bar for stability? Is this a trial & error kinda thing? I'm just kinda nervous (so NOT like me). Any input you could offer would be very much appreciated.

Also wondering, for anyone that cares to jump in, is if I should still be using aides (cane, crutches) when I am out and about. I still have a limp unless I walk VERY slowly and concentrate really hard and my knee still swells up like a balloon whenever I'm up and about. I KNOW I don't/can't follow the mantras, but I'm trying to minimize the ill effects of having to go against what I know I should be doing/not doing.

I am back home now but do need to make 1 more trip out - I have just one pair of slip on shoes that I wear every single day. I still can't tie my sneakers and most of my other shoes are flat sandal type things with no support or have heels. Very strange going from having a choice of 30 pairs of shoes to just one. I need to try and find shoes that will offer me support and give me some options!

I hope everyone is having a great day!!
 
@DogLoverx3 - never mind about you coming across the pond to whoop the hide of NanaMoon's doctor - just wish that we could whizz across and give you a bit of sincere and heartfelt tlc.
As for your 'acquaintance' that commented on how swollen your uncovered knee looked today - it made me think of Winston Churchill's retort when a woman commented that he was drunk, he replied:
'I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly'
perhaps you could suitably adapt that for any other 'well-wishers' on the lines of 'My knee may be swollen but it is improving daily, however your (insert appropriate body part here) .........'
Normally I am quite diplomatic, but I somehow think I had the 'nice bypass' along with my replacement!

With all your catering work, I would seriously give the gym membership a miss for the time being - you don't want to aggravate a swollen knee any more than necessary and I reckon the amount that you do each day is far in excess of the normal amount of PT. As for the walking aides, I have been told to use them until I am walking easily and properly without limping - otherwise I will relearn bad habits and probably gain a few new ones!

Hope tomorrow is a better one for you.
Love ChrisX
 
I am sure people would be probably mortified by my knee but I think it is great! We just had two feet of snow here in New York and are getting more right now so my knees won't be seen by anyone for awhile. I had to laugh because I also have just one pair shoes that I bought right before surgery. I am really looking forward to shorts , capris, and sandal weather though.

I am also still using my cane when I go outside anywhere. It still seems to help me and i feel safer with it at this point. A lot of tkr patients I met said they used one for quite awhile and then gradually left it in the car. Inside work or at home I don't need it but stores I definitely do!

I would definitely ride the recumbent bike at the gym. Cycling is my favorite exercise. I would start at no resistance and very gradually add it. I think five to ten minutes would be a good start on any equipment you choose. Just make sure if its painful to stop and even if it feels good not to overdo it.

I am sure you will do well and look forward to your posts!
 
Add me to the list of those who say to still use your cane for a while.
 
And me xxxxx people can't tell just by looking that you may be be nervy or unsteady. Then there's the fear of someone knocking you flying xxxx someone nearly did that to me in the shop today and I was on two elbow crutches!!! The ignorant so and so didn't even have the good grace or manners to apologise!!!!! :groan:
 
Add me to the cane supporters.
Today I walked the 2 x the length of our mall with no aides, about a mile, which I could not do before TKR --thank you Violet! Feeling most chuffed with myself --then I went clothes shopping at Penney's where the Liz Claiborne stuff was 50 % off. Now knee is elevated and iced and not too bad. It's shorts and capri weather here also so I just share my lovely scar with the world.
One thing I did discover today is that I'm walking quite differently and using muscles that haven't been used in a long time. Maybe a cane would have helped! I tried to follow the lines of the tile flooring in the mall to make sure I stayed in a straight line. It's great no-cost PT--except for the shopping etc--:heehee: Think I'll have to stick to a cup of coffee in the future.
Re the gym --your PT is probably your best resource as they know your knee. I would not even consider going to a gym --especially with your swelling and pain--until you are done with PT and have control over the swelling. If it's something that you must do or you'll die (my favorite part of the mantra) :headbang: : The elliptical would be way too much right now. Maybe recumbent bike and upper body stuff that you can do seated. You could also probably do your PT exercises in there. Listen to your knee :bow:.
Have a good rest of the weekend. J
 
Hi @Chihuahuan wow, you must be so pleased with your achievement today. Truly a wow moment for you and the Liz Claiborne reductions as a reward. Life is good!!!!! It makes the discomfort and rocks in head recovery worthwhile when you achieve like that. I am genuinely pleased for you, dead chuffed! And very proud too!!! Well done!!!! Can't wait for my turn!!!!!! Xoxoxox
 
@Nana moon 27 and DogLoverx3. You will get there. :)
I sure hope your doctor gets you off the morphine soon and you feel better. I have been truly blessed with very little pain after about week 4 but I know that this is not the case with many folks.
 
Thanks @Chihuahuan. It's weird because this morning the pain was so bad I sobbed. Yet tonight it felt ok but as a precaution, I upped the meds. If I'm ok tomorrow in the morning, ill reduce again. Thank you xxxxxx
 
hahaha @Chihuahuan , I certainly will NOT die if I don't make it back to the gym for a while. I actually hate exercise, but know it's good for me. I didn't say, but I was referring to when my formal PT is over. I've only got 5 more sessions booked, so might rather go the gym on my own than keep going to PT? Who knows, I'm very indecisive these days. :shrug: WTG on the mall walk! Great idea to use the line of the tiles! I hope you got some great new clothes to boot!

Okay, so looks like I'm back to the cane. Boo. Actually feel more comfortable and as if I walk better with my 'sticks' (just for you @Nana moon 27 ), so will probably go with crutches instead. :groan:I'd love to be able to figure out the swelling issue, but even on days when I REALLY do nothing, it's there when I walk even the shortest of distances.

Holy cow, if I have ONE MORE f*ing hot flash today I'm going to start limping around the house naked! I know it's a factor of the pain meds, but c'mon, they've been out of control today! Hot, cold, shivering, sweating, :sos:

Funny thing @Jozilla and it didn't even occur to me at the time, but my gym doesn't have recumbent bikes! Or even traditional exercise bikes! It's all treadmills, steppers & ellipticals! Boo. They do have tanning beds though, so maybe I'll just get really tan and out of shape to detract attention to my 'hideous' knee. :tada:

@dogwheels ~ awww, thanks so much! That would lovely. :) Love you idea for a retort. I had forgotten that that was actually a Churchill thing. I've always loved that!!

I had planned to not do much tomorrow (i.e. stay in jammies ALL day) but just got invited to breakfast. As a girl's gotta eat, I will be taking my crutches and ugly, swollen knee out to eat.

Thanks to all for always being here when I need you! xoxoxoxo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom