TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @DogLoverx3

I'm not getting alerts at all for you any more. I don't know what's going on, so I apologise for that xxx

I am over the moon, in fact joyous, to read you are considering going out of state for another opinion. Oh I was sooooo angry about that surgeon. I was being lazy when I talked about 2nd opinion I should have written 3/4th. I'm sorry about that too Ellen. You still sound pretty angry, which is totally understandable. I'd be no different.

Good luck to you when you return to that office. Yes, give them a piece of your mind. You haven't got to worry about burning bridges there, the surgeon did that long ago.

I wish you luck my friend with this, I really do. Please take care

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hi All. So I went to see a different surgeon in my original (craptastic) surgeon's practice and ........ actually liked him. Both he and his fellow spent almost an hour with me explaining my x rays, testing different motions with my knee (which my original surgeon has NEVER done) and going over options. He's a bit stumped. The fact that I wear a knee brace and still have pain would lead him to think it's some sort of instability in my knee but as he was unable to re-create instability in any of his motion tests, he said he is admittedly grasping at straws. He does NOT think my swelling and pain are 'normal', however he's not quite sure which direction to go, so he is going to start very conservatively and is sending me for bloods to make sure there is no infection. If those come back normal,he will send me for a bone density scan but says that since it's so 'close' to my surgery date (yes, apparently 11 months is still 'close') it may result in a false positive. What he doesn't want to do is stick another needle in my knee. If my bloodwork comes back any bit out of the normal range though, he will draw more fluid off my knee and resubmit so he can compare these results from the ones garnered from my previous testing @ 4 months. He does not think that additional PT will help at all because I have such good ROM. He says I'm a toughie as a stable knee + good ROM should equal success. He understands that the pain, swelling and constant feeling of internal pressure isn't normal. He was going to try anti-inflammatory external compounds for my knee, but I told him that they don't really work for me (but did provide a bit of entertainment in the 'what's stuck to Ellen's knee' game).

I will get my blood tests done and await insurance approval and scheduling for a bone scan. I will go back and see this surgeon once the scan results are in. I just hope I don't run into my original surgeon .... unless I'm in my car at the time. :whistle:

Sadly, I have the world's wonkiest veins. They're small, rolly and like to hide. After being stuck 4 different times today to no avail, I have to come back another day to try again. I think I can count on 2 fingers the number of times that anyone has been able to draw blood or set an IV on their 1st try with me. Boo. I look like a junkie with all the bruising on my arms ....

Hope everyone is well.............
 
Hello @DogLoverx3

That's sounding very positive. Most importantly you've been listened to!!! That in itself must've been nice for you. One if your frustrations all through has been the fact that you've never been taken seriously. At last you found a non God complex one x

Oh I did laugh about your comment regarding your car and the original surgeon :heehee: Oh and the "what's stuck to Ellen's knee." Game.

Funnily enough today Ellen, we were talking about you, me, dogwheels , mars bars and pools!!! It was so funny to reminisce like that.

I'm glad you're being listened to and taken seriously at last. Please take care. I hope business is ok.

Ellen, there's nothing so awful as failed blood testing. You feel like a pincushion I should imagine. Poor you xx

Love Nana moon 27 xox (((hugs)))) miss you being around xxx
 
Ellen, I've worked with doctors all my adult life.

Surgeons are action oriented. They are not in one of the "thinking" specialties in medicine. We've seen here that some orthos don't do well when there is a problem.

I'm glad you found someone who listened. I hope, hope, hope, that you find answers to your problems. You have suffered enough.
 
Glad you finally have someone willing to look into the problem, progress!!

I haven't read the whole thing yet but the concept of this is interesting and useful to many, I'd think. As I still don't have a thread yet, I'm borrowing yours. Oh - perhaps I'll also post on Lyn's since she' has been exercising already and about to go for #2.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3222703/
 
@TexasTee why don't you start a thread? It would have to be in the pre op area at first. Then after your surgery it will be transferred over to post op. You'll be having your surgery in a couple of months. It would be nice for you to have it up and running xxx :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Ann @Nana moon 27 - I'll probably start a thread when I go in for my 12/22 OS visit that will start the ball rolling for the CAT scan, meds, etc so that I can document all of the process but 2 months out I'd just be jibber jabbering - so instead I come to see all of you and jibber jabber there! :curtsey:
 
Hi @Chihuahuan ; she was able to stick me just once this morning. Of course I had to drink my weight in water last night and this morning, run my arms under hot water when I got there AND have little heating pads placed behind my hands, but she did it. Thank goodness as between my GP and the new surgeon, she had to take 6 vials (and 4 of them were the big ones!).

Thanks @Jane B. , I appreciate your good thoughts and couldn't agree more with the 'outside the box of surgery' challenge that some surgeons/doctor's have. My original OS, from the beginning, would either say 'I've never heard of that happening' or just make me feel like it was all in my head. This one, although he may not know exactly how to help me, at least empathized and put me on a path other than 'take more pain meds and go to PT' ;-)

Thanks @Nana moon 27 . Yes, it was very nice to be listened to and heard.

@TexasTee , I read that case study. Interesting (and a bit creepy); didn't see anything about it being a good idea for TKR patients specifically, so I wonder. Are you volunteering to be the guinea pig for the good of BS. ;-) Oh, and you can post anything you'd like on my thread. If it has a chance to help me or others, post away!

Hope everyone is well!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3

Oh I winced when I read your post to Chihuahuan. Ouch! Are you ok? How is your house coming on? Are the pups okay. I really miss our chats but I understand about you having to carry on with you life and work Xxx

@TexasTee likewise if you want to post on mine too you're more than welcome to. Others do quite regularly. I should've put that in my earlier post to you. Sorry x

Love Ann x x x x
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - bit behind in sending my good wishes and congrats that someone is at last listening to you.
Sorry about the weeny teeny veins - you ought to have a lend of mine, they are so big they could probably put a beer tap on them and I could donate for the whole of BS!
Crazy, busy couple of days so this will be my shortest post on record.
Thinking of you and hope all goes well
XXXXX
 
Waiting for a return call from the Radiology place to schedule the '3 Phase Bone Scan' that the new surgeon ordered for me. I just googled what it is and yeah, doesn't sound fun. I go in, get radioactive something injected into me (good times), they take a series of images and then I leave....only to come back 4 hours later for another set of x-rays. Boo. A three phase bone scan is used to diagnose a fracture when it cannot be seen on an Xray. It is also used to diagnose bone infection, bone pain, osteomyelitis, as well as other bone diseases. Of course, the uber unorganized office never called me to schedule, so I am having to try and get that done (and keep going to voicemail). I also haven't heard back regarding my bloodwork although I know that has to be in by now since it's been 5 business days.

So basically, I have no news.....yet. Hopefully some will be coming. Better yet if it was good news! :)

Hope everyone is well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom