Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a relaxing time.
I found I was getting sensitive to ice, and cut the time using it to 10 minutes, seems to work well for me.
If I leave it on longer my knee has a hissy fit.
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I hope you've a had a lovely few days away

[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
Welcome home xxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hi @Ellejay ! You sweet woman; I shudder to imagine the patience it took to dig out my thread from page whatever. :wink: Thank you so much for checking in. Rocky Point was wonderful. The weather was pretty darn great and I had a good time relaxing and enjoying myself. I couldn't keep up with all the running around and partying that some of my cohorts did, but I was just fine with reading on the beach (with a cocktail in hand, of course) and turning in at a somewhat reasonable hour. And really, a drunken 47 year old stumbling around Mexico isn't a good look on anyone. But don't tell my 47 year old friend who actually tested that theory! :thud:

I do apologize for seemingly just up and disappearing off the forum. I've hit my busy season so am working a lot. I've also found, as time goes on, I seem to have less and less to offer in the way of support and there's no way I can keep up on all the new people (this makes me feel a bit like a schmuck). As nothing new is going on with my knee, I don't seem to have anything to post in the way of updates. How many 'Richard is being a Dick today' posts do people really want to read? :shrug: I will absolutely post updates when they occur, but for now, it's sort of a 'same stuff different day' sort of scenario. I have my 1 year check up mid December and I will be seeing my original surgeon (and possibly smacking the **** out of him), so will absolutely let everyone know what I find out when I shine a bright light in his eyes and threaten bamboo skewers under his nails until he tells me exactly what he did to me.

I do pop in to check up on everyone from time to time and know that both you and Phil are due for the other knees in the next couple of months. I will absolutely be here to support you. I KNOW how hard it can be and probably the thought of all your compatriots from knee #1 fading away must worry you. I wouldn't do that. I may not post, but do I keep up (congrats on the new silver car!) I'm glad you have planned ahead!

Although I can't seem to keep up on everyone, please know that you can always message me or post on my thread (I don't seem to get alerts any more when being tagged so hope I haven't offended anyone) and that I will absolutely be around when you have your next surgery (that goes for you too @Phil75070 and @TexasTee ). I'm not gone forever, just on a bit of a hiatus at the moment. I do keep you all in my thoughts though! xoxoxoxo
 
Glad you plan to stick around for us! you know I'll need a smack down every now and again to keep me from being stupider than I need to be :bignono:
 
So let me ask you ..today is Oct 21, 2014 .. how does it feel these days? What is your level of activity and comfort? Just curious as I am just past 3 months in recovery. Its hard for me to imagine ever feeling 'right' again. :swoon::fingersx:
 
Hi @MoPeaches . Not sure I'm the best person to ask as I've had a difficult and extended recovery. I am over 10 months out from my RTKR and while others are 'back at it', I still have challenges with pain and swelling. I am on my feet a lot for work and still have to meter out my activities as I can't do much. I am NOT the norm though.

@Phil75070 was out playing golf a few months after his surgery. @Ellejay was off caravaning around Europe, hiking and lots of other fun stuff. @dogwheels , although having suffered a big setback a few months out, is off galavanting around and many others are back to their 'normal' lives 6 months out. I'm just not there yet. 3 months is still very early for you and I'm sure you've still got tremendous stiffness, that 'tight band' feeling, maybe some hamstring and calf pain and still having to concentrate very hard to walk right. While I'm nowhere near where I thought/hoped I'd be, I do remember all of those things. Thinking I'd never walk properly again (it felt like I was walking like a robot - very slow and measured). I DO walk normally now. That horrid tight band feeling is gone. The hamstring pain is much less. It all gets better, I promise, but it takes an annoyingly long amount of time. You will get there; I promise. Just keep up with gentle exercises, icing, elevating and medicating if needed (I was on pain meds for an extended amount of time, so please don't think it's a race). Use this board to vent and ask questions and ask for support. That's what everyone is here for!
 
I appreciate you sharing your story. I know everyone's journey is different. thanks again for sharing other people's stories ... it just confirms that we just have to stay the course of this journey and never give up!
 
Well congrats on your recovery!! I can't wait to get back to my previous activities ... I am a gym rat...I miss working out, yoga and sweating out the stress of the day! One day ... Soon!! :yes!:
 
Hi Ellen @DogLoverx3
I have not posted as much as I used to but I do think of you often. Hope all is well with you. I understand your desire not to have a revision. I would feel the same if I went through what you have. I am still struggling with my second knee and I see my OS every six weeks to keep an eye on things. I will wait a year as he recommends before I get too concerned.
Will keep an eye on your thread as I do not get many alerts.
Take Care!
 
Hi @71Beetle , sweet of you to check in! I know how busy you are. I'm sorry to read that you're still struggling with your 2nd knee but am pleased to hear that you see your OS regularly to keep up on things. Kudos for you for even going through another surgery again so soon! I'm sure that all will improve with time. You're so busy and active, I'm sure your knee is reminding you to slow down when you can.

I have decided not to wait for my 1 year (December 16th) and have just made an appointment with my original surgeon for Tuesday to try to get some answers. I truly think it's a sizing issue causing my swelling issues, ongoing tendonitis issues and pain. I'm thinking of requesting a bone scan as well as much of my pain is along where I would assume my femur was cut. With it being 11 months of this nonsense, I don't think anyone can look me in the eye and tell me it's in my head (and if they do, I am more than willing to 'accidentally' kick them with my good leg). Even if my suspicions turn out to be correct, there has got to be some alternative to surgery. I have not seen any improvement at all in the past several months, so it's now time to get some answers from the man who did this to me. ;-)
 
Hi @DogLoverx3

How brilliant you were back on earlier. I'm so very pleased to read you've made an earlier appointment. Good for you my friend. Gosh I've missed you being around. However, you did explain about how busy you are and I do understand xxx

Btw is the new avatar you? When you were little? It's a lovely pic xxx

Love Ann xxx
 
@DogLoverx3 you are right to seek more answers! going back to the original Doc to ask more questions sounds like a good start. Certainly he can't tell you it's all in your head. Tell him NO! It's not!!! The issue is between your hip and ankle .. And it's called the knee!! And then there is always a 2nd opinion. It would give you another OS insight into the issue. Keep us updated!
 
Thanks all! I meet with my original OS tomorrow. The one who did my TKR surgery. Fingers crossed I am able to get some answers. I am taking a friend with me so that he will not be able to discount my concerns or dismiss what I say (like he did at 3 months when he told me to 'go enjoy my new knee' after I told him of all the issues I was having).

So, here's my list for tomorrow:
1) was my knee cap resurfaced (as I was told that it wasn't replaced)
2) why does it appear to be in the wrong place (it sort of just sits below and to the inside of my much too large implant)
3) tell him about the intense and persistent pain all along the top medial side of my femur (where I assume the bone was cut)
4) ask him why my knee looks nothing like any other replaced knee I've seen
5) request x-rays, both sitting and standing (there's no way he can tell me it's swelling if he sees the big fat implant hanging over my femur in a sitting position)
6) tell him about my Pes Anserinus pain
7) ask about the persistent swelling on the lateral side of my knee
8) tell him that my knee feels like it weighs about 100 lbs ... always
9) tell him about the internal pressure that I always feel
10) make sure he knows I have not had one single day since surgery without pain
11) let him know that my physical capabilities are less than they were before surgery
12) ask how sizing is determined
13) if he still makes it sound like it's all in my head, I'll make him look at my knee, from both the top and the side view and ask him what his opinion is of how enormous it looks; not only in comparison to my other knee, but to every other knee I've seen (and no, it's not swelling from those angles)

While it would be awesome if he'd just admit to a sizing error being made, I doubt that will happen. Not sure what I'll do if he does, indeed, brush me off again. Then again, not sure what I'll do if he says it is a sizing issue and the only fix is another surgery. Huh. Fingers crossed all!

Oh, and p.s. I would never have HIM do another surgery on me; but as he's the one who did the original, he's the best one to give me some answers....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ellen, @DogLoverx3

Welcome back the real Ellen. My goodness the feisty, strong woman is back and she means business, woohoo!!!

You can do this my friend. I am so pleased for you having this appointment that I cannot begin to explain how much!!! Your questions are excellent. He's not going to admit liability very easily. Something's wrong my friend. I'm reading all your symptoms and they're very similar to how mine was. I have to say it all points to sizing issues, although that wasn't the case for me (allegedly).

If a second lot of surgery is required then you and only you can make that decision. If he's confident like my surgeon was that he can sort this, he probably can.

I'm, (don't faint!) glad I had my revision. Ok it's put me back a few months more with recovery but it's worth it. My morphine reductions going well. My movement is fantastic, the knee although not a symmetrical match to the other knee is undoubtedly smaller and there's very little in the way of swelling and most importantly it looks like an knee instead of a puffed marshmallow, mushy shapeless blob! I have sensation on the joint where it was previously numb. That heavy log leg feeling has gone completely. I can honestly say now I'm better now than before and had this knee been like this post op the first time I'd've been almost one of those poster children we talked about originally that used to stride into out PT sessions, like they were on a day out!!!

Good luck my friend. I will be eagerly awaiting your posts later. It's so great to read news like this xx
Make him measure it too sweetie!! To compare your one knee against the other or take the measurements yourself with you to the appointment tomorrow xxx

I cannot wait to see how you get on.

Good luck my friend, you can do it!!!


[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying I'm lending you these for his butt, just in case!!!

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
Once again Good Luck Ellen!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom