Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @DogLoverx3 - so glad that you haven't waited any longer to get this looked at again. I will be thinking of you all day and hoping against hope that the OS will finally acknowledge that their are big issues with your knee and start taking some positive action.

Just thought I would tell you that an elderly friend of my Mum's had a fall and needed an emergency hip replacement. This was about 18 months ago. She has always been of the opinion that they just took one off the shelf to get the surgery done asap, and it was the wrong size. She has been in constant pain ever since and has a huge bulge by her hip. I only heard yesterday that NHS have agreed an oversized prosthesis 'may possibly be the cause of her problems', and she has been taken in today for a revision/replacement due to the pain and damage that is being caused. She's a feisty old girl and told her original OS who is a respected army surgeon, 'After you did this to me, how can I trust you to get it right the next time?'. Fair comment!

Glad you have somebody going with you today to fight your corner. Fingers, eyes, legs and everything else crossed that you get some proper answers.
Lots of love
XXXXXXXXXX
PS - One for your OS to add to Nana Moon's Butt kicking boots

[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
Hi All. Thanks for the kind words and good thoughts. This will be a short post as I really have nothing to write and I'm incredibly frustrated right now. The surgeon did exactly what I knew he would. He gave me no straight answers, repeatedly talked over me and made it sound like it was all in my head. Even my friend who went with me couldn't get a straight answer out of him. He talked in circles and repeatedly told me there was nothing wrong. I did say, 'with all due respect, you don't have to try to function on this knee'. He then suggested bloodwork and physical therapy (after telling me that I 'need to work through the pain'). Awesome. When I asked him some very specific sizing issues, he said 'no 2 knees look alike' and then went on to point out that my knees look nothing like my friends'. Seriously? I sort of wanted to smack him. I instead said, 'well of course not, we're on 2 different bodies, however his right knee DOES resemble his left knee and as my knee looks like NO OTHER I've ever seen, I am curious'. He was a dismissive *donkey* and even my friend (who is male) was surprised at how flippant he was. So basically, I have nothing to report :-(

Huh, guess the post wasn't as short as I thought it would be. Thanks for the vent.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So Ellen

I'm so angry and frustrated on your behalf that that stupid donkey didn't listen to you or your male friend. That's totally arrogant and disgusting. How dare he treat you like that when you've paid for this surgery. He's well out of order. Fancy him ignoring your friends questions. He sounds like the surgeon who botched my sis in laws breast cancer op. He left breast tissue in a mastectomy. Not once has he admitted he was in the wrong. She's had a letter off the NHS apologising (not on his behalf but that of the trust) finished with we care sorry you've been left with an uncertain future....He's finished practicing here. On Wednesday she has to go for a deep biopsy on a lump that come up deep in her chest. Then if it is Cancer she faces the fact that it may well be inoperable xxx

The point I'm making to you is please go and get another opinion. Your surgeon has what is known as a God complex. Thinks he's above everyone and knows all. That's how her surgeon was. Would not admit his failings.

Ellen I know you don't want to and as usual my timing for saying is a mess, please to see someone recommended by this site. I'm sure some posts back somewhere that people were suggesting names. Josephine has a whole list.
This can be fixed Ellen. It really can. The thing is right now you've had enough and I get that. I just want the best for you my friend. I'm posting this with the best of intentions because I care about you my friend.

Sweetie I know our knee cases are probably different but you know there were a lot of similarities. I don't get why he hasn't offered you surgery to go in and check or your x rays or something.

Love Ann xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DogLoverx3 - I wish there was a way to mark a post 'disgusted' or 'flabbergasted' as there is no way that I can rate what you have said as 'Like' or anything close.
NM27 is totally right about the God complex some of these imbeciles have - I used to work with them and I know that as good as they think they are, they are really nothing special. Just people doing the job they have trained for.
So sorry that you have had such a day of excrement and I am currently bringing down a plague of nasties to infest that surgeon in the most awful of places.
Lots of love
XXXX
 
I am so sorry that you had to deal with such an ignorant surgeon. He clearly does not want to admit fault which makes it all the more frustrating! I hope you can get your file in the hands of a competent doctor who will give you the treatment you deserve! Sending you hugs!
 
Everyone has said it already but please know that you are in my thoughts - I know that you'll over come this, you are strong, resourceful and have a lot of walking on the beach to do!!
 
@DogLoverx3 i love your list. You are a well informed, intelligent, prepared patient. It is exactly what a Doctor should want. Please be aware of his non-verbal response to the discussion. I would expect him to be thoughtfully engaged. You have been patient in the recovery and rehab. Best wishes!
 
Sorry to hear you had such a response. :chinstroke:
At least you know to start looking elsewhere for an honest opinion about your knee. You can find the knee serial number and size on the sticker sheet for your implant, the hospital will be able to give that to you, along with your surgical report.
I am left speechless with the response you received.
 
We definitely need a different tag, I couldn't 'like' your post, it was too frustrating. I woke this morning really eager to see your post, willing you to have had good news and now I am so upset for you. That's just me, someone who has never met you, thousands of miles away, what must it be like for you? I can only imagine. I am so sorry, presumably the only route now is to find someone else who can help you, you have a lot of thinking to do. Good luck my friend, I am thinking of you xxx Lyn
 
Hi All. Thanks for your kind words and input. As you may not recall, I HAVE had a 2nd opinion. I've done tons of research on revision surgeons in my area. The problem is that no one will admit to my implant being oversized or seem willing to find out exactly why I'm in the pain I am and they either say 'work through it' (grrr) or tell me to keep up with my pain meds (double grrrrr). I believe the GOD complex TKR surgical community here is a bit of a boys' club and I'm not sure that anyone will admit to a possible mistake in sizing being made. I will most likely need to go out of state so am researching revisionists in Palm Springs, CA and Palm Desert as that's just a 4 hour drive for me. When I see the 'other' surgeon at my original one's practice next week, I will tell him exactly what I think and make him look me in the eye and tell me that I'm wrong. I couldn't do that yesterday, but as I never intend on going back there again after next week, I don't mind burning bridges and hurting overly inflated egos.

Oh, and @Pumpkln , I do have all the sticker and sizing information for my knee and based on some 'behind the scenes' digging that I've been doing with people who also have Stryker Thriathlons on here, I'm fairly certain my sizing is incorrect. Although I'm tall and not the skinniest of people ever, I have fairly small bones for my stature (the world's smallest wrists) and I don't think I should have the same size implant as a shorter male who weighs a heck of a lot more than I do.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DogLoverx3 I'm so sorry you do not have any answers. I wonder if what you need is a lawyer to refer you to an OS who will honestly look at the implant size and say yes, no, or maybe. So much of medical care is an art and there is a fair bit of latitude in all areas. I think it's why doctors often do not, will not, or cannot, give definitive answers.
If you do get your answers and a revision is recommended -- can you take off the time needed to recover from surgery?
 
:holysheep:I'm sorry you may have to go out of state, but you need better responses than you're getting. :(
 
@DogLoverx3 since you are in the US, let me encourage you to go to healthgrades.com. You can research the next physician you choose to consult. Also, go look up your original surgeon and write up your experience. You may save the next person a terrible experience. Keep up your effort. You will find a doctor to help you.
Mary
 
Glad you have the sticker sheet.
You might want to take a look at this OS.
Raj K. Sinha, M.D., Ph.D.
broken link removed: https://www.starortho.com/about/index.asp#sinha
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom