TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have flown LOTS after both hip replacements and have never had to show a scar - thank goodness! Can you imagine me dropping my pants in the airport, LOL!!! I just go through those body scanners where you step into this tube like thing and raise your arms over your head.
 
Hi, did not have bone scan... had lab work for fatigue..consensus was I am tired due to surgery ...duh..not having such a good day today..
 
Hi @patticake2014 , at least you got some labwork done in order to put your mind at ease. Sorry to say that the sheer exhaustion from this surgery lasts several months. I used to find that taking a simple shower would wipe me out for hours afterwards. On the bright side, I got to catch up on House of Cards, Veep and every movie I could find on Netflix and HBOgo that I hadn't yet seen.

@hopefaith ; aren't you sweet for remembering and asking. Thank you for that. Yes, I had a 3 part bone scan done today. Thankfully the tech that injected me with the lovely radioactive heaven-knows-what was able to hit a vein 1st try and I barely even felt it. I kind of considered proposing. ;-) The procedure itself was uber interesting to watch. They had a little screen up so I could see what was going on. It was basically 20 minutes of watching how the blood flows in my legs. They had the x-ray dealy focused on both knees so I could compare. Although the tech is not permitted to diagnose, he did confirm that there is a LOT of activity going on with Richard (Dick, for short). Where my left knee was just kinda lit up with little spots of light, Dick was pretty darn bright with twice as many. Sorry, I don't know any of the technical terms, but it was fairly fascinating. I have to wait for the follow up with my OS to go over the Radiologist report (boo), but the tech did say that the 1st set showed that my TKR knee was very 'hot'. And no, he didn't mean that in a hubba hubba sorta way. ;-) Basically, as of now, although there is absolutely something going on in there (duh, like I've been telling them since month 2), it still remains to be seen if they can figure out what, exactly, is causing all of this. Hopefully the report will be conclusive and there will be a plan of action. I honestly don't think it's an infection and DO think this is all due to a mis-sized implant that doesn't quite 'fit' and is pissing off all my nerves and tissues.... we'll see what the experts have to say. Fingers crossed.

Good news is that I don't actually glow from the radioactive stuff.... although I think I would have made an interesting holiday decoration.

Anywhoo, I called to move up the date for my followup with the OS. It's now going to be on the 10th instead of the 15th, so hopefully the powers that be can figure out what the heck is going on and how to make it stop/better. I am a bit doubtful though as when I called to change my appointment date they reconfirmed that it was to go over my MRI results........ugh. Morons. ;-)

Hope you are well! xoxoxo
 
Thanks all. I'll post after I have my follow up on the 10th. Yes, amazing that doctor's don't always believe us when we know that something isn't right. My original surgeon still insists that I am 'fine'. ;-) After almost a year though, it's time to put these issues to bed. :alarm:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3

That's good news and hopefully you'll get some answers. It's all sounding so hopeful. I hope that all goes well on the 10th. You're right about some surgeons not accepting that there's a problem xx you deserve a break from all of this XX.

I hope that you get some answers and that it will settle x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hi @DogLoverx3

It's the 10th December here,I'm just wishing you good luck with the OS today. I will look out for your alerts later xx I hope and pray that you get some answers.

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
@DogLoverx3 - Good luck today, i just hope that today is the day when someone says "I know what the problem is" :idea:. It would be wonderful after all this time.
 
Thanks for checking in all. Next week will be 1 year from my TKR surgery (forever known as the worst decision I ever made ... okay, well maybe 2nd worst). I wish I had something good to post, but I don't. The results from my bone scan came back noting 'something' (I don't have the report in front of me) and while not 100% certain, although all bloodwork has come back negative, loosening and infection cannot be ruled out. Couldn't have gotten worse news. My TKR knee lit up uber-bright on the scan which, at one year, shouldn't be the case. My left/good (ha) knee was lit up and advanced arthritis was noted (great joy to have that confirmed as I've never had that knee checked), but my TKR knee was MUCH brighter. The metal 'parts' have nothing to do with the brightness on the scan (I asked). While he is certain that I shouldn't have this much pain and swelling at 1 year, he's also hesitant to go back in sooner than 2 years. I have opted to wait it out for another 6 months when we can re-do the scan and hopefully see improvement. Meanwhile I will keep trying every single non surgical option (which isn't much that I haven't already tried), but I'm hoping that I'm just a very slow healer and everything fixes itself. The mere thought of having to go through another knee replacement surgery makes me cry. I will go back to PT, continue wearing a knee brace when I need to, continue with the Celebrex daily and pain meds as needed (I try to only take Tylenol, but sometimes find I need a Tramadol or 2). This has been a horrible year and although completely defeatist, I absolutely regret having this surgery. :-(

Oh, and he said that he won't know until he's in there if and when surgery is done if it's an infection or not that caused the loosening. He would send a tissue sample down to pathology while I'm under and if it comes back positive for infection, it would be a 2 part revision that is needed. Everything would be removed, a cement (?) spacer would be put in, my knee would be immoble and non weight bearing for 6 weeks while having to endure a pic line with antibiotics before having to go back in to have new parts installed. There is no part of this scenario that works for me or my life. :-( I can't even imagine going into another surgery not knowing which recovery it would be. Cruddy or Super Cruddy........

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, but I just can't see the bright side today. Maybe tomorrow.......
 
Oh @DogLoverx3

I'm so sorry to hear your news but at least it has shown something is not right, at last. It's frustrating because you have told them right from early on there was something wrong and they never listened. I do hope that for your sake you don't have to go through revision. Since I had mine done in September, yes it's made a difference but it put me right back to the start of a recovery identical to having TKR. I had a new spacer and stuff too. It's very frustrating.

Thanks for the update

Good luck Love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom