TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @DogLoverx3, I had a borrowed TENS machine before my back surgery. My PT also used one on me occasionally. Don't know if you can over use it might depend on the settings you use. I could turn mine up till I was flopping around like a piece of bacon. :yikes: Of course I wouldn't use it that way but it sure did help. It was like getting a massage on the muscle that you used it on. I know body builders that would use them while lifting weights to get more reps in. I would use it in moderation until you find out. Just because 2 aspirin are helpful doesn't mean the whole bottle would be more helpful. :thumb:
 
I wonder, @Josephine if there is a standard usage for the TENS machine? Like no more than 1/2 hour per day or if it's just a trial and error thing. I just want to make sure that there's not a point where I could over use it and actually do damage.
No, it's quite safe to use for hours if needed. The most important point is NOT to do this
I could turn mine up till I was flopping around like a piece of bacon.
Never ever have the signal that high. It should start off at a comfortable level. To find this, turn it up until it's JUST uncomfortable and then take it down a point and that's your proper setting.

Additionally, when the signal appears to fade, do NOT turn it up as this just means that the device is working at peak efficiency. Turning it up won't make it work better but it could cause you electrical burns.
You should have three settings, continuous, ramp or modulated, and burst.
Chris, all machines are different. I've had 4 over the years and there was no similarity between any of them. They each had different settings and different types of signal. The one I currently have has a 30 minute timer, ten types of signal and settings vary between signals. One signal can go from 1-20, another only goes from 1-10. One of the settings makes 6 of the signals rotate in sequence to give a longer lasting effect. It depends upon the make, of course but they do vary greatly.
 
Hello @DogLoverx3 I hope you have a relaxing Saturday after your crazy week. Have been thinking a lot about up you my friend. I hope everything's ok? I'm going to say this once and then not again unless you do...why don't you go visit a specialist revisionist. I'm no medical expert or anything but surely your knee should not be that shape. I'm only suggesting this because I care a great deal about my hardworking, caring friend, who always looks out for me and tell me things straight too xxxxx

Is your pup recovering okay? :puppysmooze: Please give them a belly rub or an ear scratch off me please xxxx

Any hoo, have a great weekend. I hope it's an exciting or at least a good one. Love Nan moon 27 xxxx
 
Thanks all for your input and advice on the TENS machine. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything I could be doing 'wrong'. I am still a bit leery about putting the electrode pads so that they directly cross over where I assume my Tibia was cut. I think I watch too many creepy commercials that I envision the little electronic pulses loosening to cement or something. My little guy has 3 different settings: massage, pulse and burst. I don't like burst, but do like both massage and pulse. I set the speed to high so it's almost a continuous loop and haven't gone above 5 out of 10 for intensity settings. I bought some extra sticky pads, not knowing how many uses I'd be able to get out of each set, but so far, so good!

@Nana moon 27 , both my original surgeon and my current one are revisionists. I didn't interview anyone who wasn't. Due to my age, I am destined to have to have a revision at some point down the line, so wouldn't even consider someone who didn't have a solid history of doing revisions. My 1 year check up is in December and I am going to go to my original surgeon and see if I can get him to agree with me and what he has to say.

As I've stated before, although I would like to be pain free and get this 'fixed', at this point in time I am NOT willing to even consider going through this surgery again. I would like confirmation that my suspicions are correct and can then proceed from there, but the though of willingly doing this again is one I'm not willing to consider. It was just too hard for me and I refuse to do it again on my own.

Happy Saturday all! xoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3

I totally don't blame you for not wanting to undergo revision yet. You have been in the receiving end of a very uncomfortable and non straightforward recovery. I just want you to get a break from the pain you're constantly in. Like yourself, I know first hand how pain can drag a person down, especially when it was prolonged as was our case. I have to be totally honest, I was unaware that I was to have this amount of work done. I was told with my husband at my side, that it was a straightforward procedure involving an overnight stay and I'd be out the next morning. I was glad he was there else he'd have accused my morphine brain if getting it wrong!!! Not full on recovery with seven days stay in hospital!!! If I had thought this was to be the case I may well have had second thoughts for mainly the wrong reasons (financial). I needed to try something to get out the pain. Daily my quality of life was getting worse especially the last two weeks before the surgery. Increased morphine and back to two sticks unable to walk any kind of distance xxx it's not on!!!

You have very good reasons that I know about for declining revision at this stage and I do understand. Apart from anything else my friend, you have to do what's right for you. I'm certain your suspicions will be confirmed in December and you'll be shouting from the rooftops "I told you so !!!!" And telling us all on this forum how you were right all along xxxx

How's the pup recovering? Xxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
I would absolutely do a less invasive procedure if it turned out to be something with a ligament or soft tissues or whatever, but I just wouldn't go thru a whole revision. Not only because I don't want to, but because I would still need another one down the road which would make 3 and I know the more you get, the less successful they are (or at least that's what my PT told me).

I'm very glad that your recovery is going better this time around. I won't say a single word about the morphine either (although I wasn't even allowed out of the hospital until I had switched to something 'less'). Okay, NOW I won't say another word about the morphine. ;-) Keep taking care of yourself and you'll be back driving and living your life soon enough.

All the pups are great, thanks. TJ has fully recovered from his procedure and I only make fun of him sometimes since he's now missing one of his front teeth as well as a big back one. ;-)
 
I really thought the OS was bringing me off them. Nope, he wanted me left on them. Today I reduced It by10mg but my knees hurt all day. Bother!!!

I'm so glad TJ is better. He's such a cutie as they all are xxx

I had the blues a bit tonight but it was sheer frustration more than anything xxx

Love Ann xxx
 
Ahhh - my jaunty Peter Murphy the dashing Australian Shepherd is also missing, well, missing the cap that my weirdo husband had put on his front tooth that was broken when he adopted him. He doesn't mind a bit though its tough to keep his tongue in his mouth!

I recall your only seeing revisionists...I wonder, merely WONDER, mind you...could they replace the middle bit if he agrees its too big? I thought - but could be wrong! That the concern of the revision was around replacing the metal covering the bones rather than the gaskets or hardware...

Not that having someone open up your knee and tinker around is nothing but living with a clunker for 20 years seems excessive if it's really too big and he'll admit it. Well, you certainly don't have to decide now - anytime in the next 20 years you might find yourself in very different life circumstances and be more interested in checking it out. OR with the help of the TENS and that magic year mark - Richard will come around and you'll find that, even if not the ideal size you've finally been able to get yourself pain free. Fingers crossed!!!
 
Sorry about your blues Ann :€ hopefully you're feeling better. Slow and steady wins this race

@TexasTee , not having had a revision I would assume the pain is pretty great even if they don't change the components going into the bone. I would guess it would only save u the bone pain but no clue. They still muck around all up in your bizness ;) Yes, at some point in the next 20 years I may reconsider my stance, but as I can't even get anyone to confirm my suspicions, it's a moot point anyway.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I was just reading another post and wondered if it was worth going to see Dr. Maale in Texas for an evaluation. I know it's far away, and costs money, etc.

You don't want to do a revision, and we respect your choice, but you have not had an easy time of it. I think all of us following your thread would like you to have some relief. You have been nice to so many of us. It's appreciated.

It seems that when things go wrong, they go really wrong. Sorry.
 
Thanks @Jane B. for the very nice post. I have received more support and kindness on this forum than I have doled out, so all of you are very much appreciated!

It's a bit of a catch-22 with me. I haven't had an easy time of it and that's why I wouldn't even consider a revision at this point. However, not being a complete moron (only sometimes), I know if a revision were deemed necessary, it would hopefully make things better. I just know what I went through those first few months and I'm not willing to go through it again right now. I don't have the support or stamina for a 'do over' right now. For now, at least, I will continue doing my research and getting all my proverbial ducks in a row. I know some must find it baffling that I would be in pain yet not consider a revision at this point. It's part of the bonus of being me. :chinstroke:

Hey, if I did go see Dr Maale, I could invite myself to stay with @TexasTee :heehee:
 
Hey, if I did go see Dr Maale, I could invite myself to stay with @TexasTee

TexasTee is in or near Austin, a 3 hour or so drive from Plano (a north suburb of Dallas). I, actually, am much closer and could at least get you from the airport to Dr Maale's office as I live only about 10 minutes north of Plano. Maybe @TexasTee could come up from Austin for a "get together" over dinner or drinks.
 
Did I hear someone say drinks? :martini::bow::martini: As much as I've traveled the world, I've never actually been to Texas (and am a complete and utter geographical moron), so had no idea who would be close to what. Thanks @Phil75070 ! What a sweet offer! Much appreciated! I'll keep you posted if I ever do decide to hop a plane to see Dr M. And you ... and TT....
 
Hey Ellen , may i suggest you elevate and ice while you use that tens unit. Im so sorry to hear about your ongoing complications with the knee. Its not fair !! All is well here. Best wishes , Iceman
 
Well @DogLoverx3 that's starting to sound like a party coming up!!! How lovely to have offers like that from people who care so much. You're very popular Ellen and well respected.

You just would not believe how slow and steady I am being. I've cancelled a planned weekend away the week after next, I've told my husband the end of October he has to go up to the caravan alone and drain it down and lock it up until the spring as I just won't manage the travelling.

I am realising at a rate of knots, that there is very little difference between a TKR and a revision!! I just want this to work that's why I'm doing it by the book xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
I am so glad to hear you say all that @Nana moon 27, I'm sure it will help with your recovery.
With my second TKR looming I was getting worried about not seeing my small grandson for a long time, as my husband will insist on total rest again, but obviously things are already working in that universal pre planned way ......my D I L phoned me yesterday, she has always refused to learn to drive, which is why I always have to go over there, but, she has secretly had lessons and yesterday passed her test! She said now we can drive to you whilst you are recovering from your op, I was so surprised that she has actually done it, and really happy that she will come and visit and help out.
 
Hey @Phil75070 - its a party! And Ellen - Austin is really close and a great place to recover :-) Just a thought!
 
Hi All. Haven't posted as there's nothing much new to tell.

@icep707 , thanks for checking in. I do elevate my knee all the time (usually I just fling my leg over the back of the couch - technically that counts, right?) ;-) I can't ice my knee much as a few months ago the ice actually started to make my knee hurt. Kinda defeated the purpose. :ice:

Glad you're taking it easy @Nana moon 27 . This needs to be your last recovery! :flwrysmile:

@Ellejay and @dogwheels , I hope you're both having wonderful times on your respective trips! :SUNsmile:

Well, @Phil75070 & @dogwheels , I could always just skip the doctor visit and come out to visit! :idea: :martini:

It's been a busy week for me with new countertops and a new sink for the kitchen. Kind of a nightmare. The counter guy took 8 HOURS to install them! My kitchen is tiny and it certainly wasn't granite I was putting in there. The sink is an ongoing issue but at least I've been able to stop having to wash my dishes in the bathtub at least! :bath:
With my crazy week of Murphy's Law-isms, I opted to go hibernate at the movies yesterday for fear of actually smacking someone :banghead:

I'm off to Rocky Point for the long weekend. Nothing that 3 days of sand, sun and cocktails can't solve, right? :surfer:
Hope everyone is well! xoxoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - my phone is behaving like a crazy thing here so posts are few and far between. Also using the phone makes me write weird things like your user name came out as Dogliver. It is also using up juice rapidly and hubby keeps bagging the socket adaptor for his blackberry.
Having a great time though but sad that while you are having all these problems with Dick, my knee seems to be thriving on all the exercise. My back and ankle not so much!
Hubby is happy going on a boat trip today. I shall sing the Blue Danube tune all the way.
Talk once I am back xxxxxxxx



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @DogLoverx3

Oh it's is so nice to hear from you. I've been a bit fed up. I bet your kitchen looks amazing. My theory would be that if the guy took a whole day to do it inc plumbing and carpentry he's probably done a nice job. Secondly, him staying that long meant he obviously wanted to move on to another job, for the next day. I always say that the time to worry is if you see them take a sharp intake of breath, smack the back of their heads or scratch it, always walk away quick. You may hear something you don't want to.

Oh Ellen, sea, sand and cocktails, my kind of dream at the moment. So it sounds much needed after a bad week at work. You work so hard my friend, this is a well deserved break xxxx

It's lovely to hear from you and will look out for your posts xxx

Love Ann xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom