TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay - more knees!! Left is nine months and right just done!

[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying


My legs were also straightened - they are far from beautiful but are pain free!
 
@dogwheels , did I miss your birthday? I'm so very sorry! I hope you had a wonderful day (sounds as if the wine alone may have helped with that) and an even better year to come!

Your knee looks great Chris! No fear of scaring (or scarring) small children necessary! ;-) My TKR calf is larger as well - I think my entire TKR lower leg looks a bit bigger than the other, but figured that was swelling as well. Have fun boot shopping!

I knew my knee didn't look right. Swelling or no, knees should not have a forehead and my absolutely does. Damn.
 
@Jozilla gets the Gam Award, or is she tied with Phil? You had mentioned your "lump", Ellen, and you can see it quite clearly in the last photo. My husband commented that my operated knee is shaped very differently than my other knee.
 
@DogLoverx3
I thought you might like to see this......it's taken from a recent post on @sunny-island's thread.......


@TexasTee and @Minnie's knees (great names both of you!) your Dupay Trumatch knees sound ideal. My surgeon's PA said they have a whole range of parts in different sizes in the operating room so that they can use components that fit each individual. Yours will be sized to fit you before the surgeon even starts! They gave me a sheet with the names, sizes and model numbers for each part they installed in my knee.

Not that I want to burst your bubble, but this is standard procedure for all knee replacements, custom or otherwise.
 
Thanks @Jane B. And @Ellejay . I contacted the hospital where I had my surgery to get all information on the components used (size, make, sticker numbers, etc..) along with any other information from my surgery. With all the hoops I need to jump through, I'm thinking I should receive the information sometime around Christmas.

I got my TENS unit this afternoon and have already strapped it on for 2 15 minute sessions. Pretty easy to figure out. Let's hope it helps!
 
That's a great idea. I could throw in a pic of my back scar too.
Actually I think I got robbed because I only got a 6 incher & everyone else seems to have a 10 incher.
Story of my life I guess. :blush:
The scar turned out pretty good as they took the staples out after 2 weeks & then glued it & put sterastrips on.
 
My scar is short too. But then again so am I.
Good nite everyone.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Interesting @Pumpkln I am also short with maybe a six inch scar. Even in my OS waiting room I noticed much larger scars than mine. Kind if amazes me as I had a lit if ligament work also straightening my legs.

Hope everyone has a good Monday!
 
I wish I knew how to do that. I would do it Ina heartbeat @DogLoverx3 . I think of you often and what you are going through. I really hope the tens machine brings some relief!

~~hopefaith
 
Hi @DogLoverx3, any luck with the TENs machine?
You mentioned taking Tramadol on my thread, hopefully, if the cortisone shot I had this morning works, the effect will last until my next TKR :fingersx: and my system will get a bit of relief from constant medications. I wasn't allowed Tramadol after the arthroscopy, that was the hospital not the GP. As I would need support from the GP after my TKR I intend going to see him a couple of weeks beforehand to discuss prescription painkillers and hopefully get his approval for Tramadol. I thought it would be best to see him pre TKR rather than post, my brain might be better if I need to fight for it.
Hope you are OK, xxxLyn
 
Good thinking @Ellejay, Lyn, about seeing your GP prior to your TKR in order to get all your ducks in a row! I think that's a terrific idea so you'll be all set with no surprises. I will keep my fingers and toes crossed that your cortisone injection works and tides you over for the next 2 months!

@hopefaith , thank you for always checking in, you are in my thoughts as well xoxoxo

@Nana moon 27 , I think your knee looks terrific for being just one week out! It actually looks great for being 1 month out! I do hope and think that this last surgery has done the trick for you!

My apologies for not being around much. It's my busy season and when I'm not working I am trying to work on home projects in the hopes that one day I don't walk through the door and go 'meh, i'm home' and instead go 'yey! I love my tiny house!'. ;-) Although I don't post much, I do try to keep up and you all are never far from my thoughts.

Well poo, when trying to tag someone, I just deleted the rest of my post. Boo. Let's try this again:

Regarding my TENS machine. I do think it's helping. My swelling seems to be a bit less. I need to find a happy medium regarding using it though. I had been using it twice a day, in 15 minute increments and with the pads in different areas. My swelling seems to have gone down a bit. Of course, being me, I figured if using it twice a day was good, then using it 4 times a day would be even better. Uhm, not so much. I did that on Tuesday and on Wednesday I seemed to have greater Tibial and side of knee pain, so I didn't use it at all yesterday. It may have just been coincidence, but just wanted to be safe.

I am aware of my knee with EVERY step that I take. It's very very rare that I can take a step, or 4, without cursing my odd looking knee. I actually got out of the car this morning at Costco and took a few steps where it almost felt 'normal' - ish. It didn't last long, but it did happen, so I'll hold onto that. I wonder, @Josephine if there is a standard usage for the TENS machine? Like no more than 1/2 hour per day or if it's just a trial and error thing. I just want to make sure that there's not a point where I could over use it and actually do damage. Any thoughts? I can't seem to find anything online.

@dogwheels , have a wonderful time on your amazing trip!

xoxoxoxo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DogLoverx3 oh it's surprising what you forget about early recovery inside a year! I'm having to inject myself with Clexane injections (prevents blood clots) and wear a TED stocking....oh joy!

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Dogloverx3
I use the TENs on my back for hours when it flares up. My knee is much more sensitive, I can only use the TENs for 20 to 30 minutes. You should have three settings, continuous, ramp or modulated, and burst. Try the first two, burst can be a bit much.
Wish there were something to be done for your knee, hopefully you can find the right person to help




Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom