Guest viewing is limited

THR My Intro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa, I must have missed the Charlie nut cracking somewhere along the line haha. ...and gee Cardie, do I HAVE to think about that? :rotfl: Sounds like the new PT is working out ok for you. I like what Sarah had to say, and I totally agree with the fact that is IS a big deal - all of it. ...the already "changed" Vermonter, Cathy :loll:
 
Lol, thanks Cardie, very helpful post, it is good to have a mental image of what you are tryng to do........dunno if I prefer Charlies walnut tip though.lol but everything helps.. I can't do this whilst walking in the street as I know I pull a weird face cos I am concentrating (bit like doing what us ladies are advised to do to strengthen pelvic floor!) but I do try whilst walking the dogs where nobody can see my face :umm:

It was either you or Jyoti who mentioned the bucket thing, think it was Jyoti, I try to keep that in my mind whilst walking too......so much going on in ths head of mine whilst on a walk!

I too hope the PT is helping, are you feeling any improvement.

Take care

Ann.x.
 
OMG, Cardie, have you been taking photos of my spine.. I am the one on the right!

How is your PT going?

Did I read right you have diarrhea.. Or have I lost the plot?

I so wish we could all meet up..
 
Hi Everyone,

No, no diarrehea Poppet; the PT had suggested envisioning having that issue as you usually hold your pelvis and abdomen in more tightly when walking. I thought that Charlie's nut cracking was more for the glute muscles and trying to keep them tight and firm while walking. It was cute and I'd forgotten about that suggestion -- sure miss that guy!

I'm supposed to be tucking my tailbone under and holding my stomach tightly in order to not stress my low back & sciatic nerve. It's an odd way to walk and sort of makes me slouch my shoulders over in an uncomfortable way.

My PT is really minimal right now. I can't seem to get much in the way of assistance in getting the various bursa to settle down and I don't know how to get the space that they need to stop doing their inflammation. My Feldenkrais gal is always talking about getting more space into areas -- I can't figure out how one does that in a closed system.

I did have a lovely time of it just doing some plain old squats and lunges in PT and then had 3 days of really intensely sore quads, so they are still in there and able to do some of what I tell them!

Today I had to do a little sprint across the parking lot to get in to the band competition as my son's school was on the field and counting down to start. We'll see how that went tomorrow -- I took tiny little steps as my stride is just not what it used to be before the fake hip...

I can't believe I've been here for over a year, shouldn't I have wandered back into my new life????
Cardie
 
Hi Cardie

Soooo pleased about t'other end business :)

No, we don't want you to wander back into your life totally.. We love your advice, support and mentoring.. at least I do :)

But seriously, don't know if you have seen my formula regarding timeframe of recovery.. ? - well it comes from a very wise older lady who exercises in the pool at our beach place. Way back in her 60's she had 3 surgeries for her back. Then she had knees replace, then both hips, then to make sure she was heading to a full skeletal joint replacement, she had a shoulder replacement!!!!...

Well long story short, she had a chat with me when I was pre surgery, bent over, going to the pool with my walker, struggling to get into the pool.. we were happily floating and doing exercises and I asked her what to expect regarding recovery time frames with my THR.. answer... It will take 18 to 24 months for your body to be at the stage when you can get back into life... maybe not quite as intense activity as before. She suggested after discussing my severe lack of mobility, that I should consider 24 months as my timeframe..

So at 11 months, I figure I am not quite 50% recovered. but I have to keep telling myself that, hence my pity party post on my thread yesterday :)

I know I keep pushing this barrel... but have you considered Nordic Walking Cardie? It is so good for strengthening the core muscles, and the light weight poles take the load from the hips and knees. You get a cardio workout within minutes, without even realizing it as you are using up to 90% of your muscles, upper and lower body. It assists your gait to make sure it is even. It helps to keep one's back straight, strengthening your back, upper and lower. The more one does it the longer strides you are able to take, that just progresses naturally, without you realising it. You get stability and a sense of safety using the poles. It is good for the soul and you look really cool... Because you look like a serious athlete, rather than a recovering joint replacement dude :)

I hope you are not too sore after your sprint?

Sending hugs xx
 
Lol at Sandy thinking you had diarrhea Cardie....

You are kind of wandering to your new life, it's more of a meander but still definitely on your way there.

Fancy you managing to have a little sprint, that's good, I have had a go of it too but it's quite scary trying and I have to do it where I know nobody can see me.lol

This walking properly business sometimes is a right pain isn't it. Hope you can manage to get the hang if it without the slouching if the shoulders........eeee the things we have to do eh!!!

Take care honey

Ann
 
Just putting this article in my thread for safe keeping and also to see if Josephine; might have any comments about Lyme bacteria and joint replacements. It's about how Lyme bacteria survives by forming biofilm.

I asked thru my OS office, my PT gal checked in with the PA and OS that did my surgery and they both said no known correlation/complications w/Lyme and total hip replacement. I am hoping that's the case as I begin treatment for Lyme disease...

Happy New Year BS peeps,
Cardie
 
Hi Cardie, I am so sorry you have lyme and not the sort you find in a mojito..I love my cocktails so its an apt analogy. You are having your own stuff yet you take time to 'mentor' people like me. Thanks for caring! Good luck with the treatment, I hope 2013 is great for you.
Vicki
 
Sorry, Cardie - outside my knowledge base, I'm afraid.
 
Hi Cardie

Have I missed something here hon?

Have you been infected by a tick?
 
Yes Cardie - what happened to you? Please keep us updated on your treatment!
 
I had a tick bite with attachment in April. My GP refused to give me doxycycline with the admonition that "we don't treat lyme prophylactically." I had no bulls eye rash, but I've come to learn that most people don't have the rash reaction.

My first, LabCorp, Western blot only revealed one band that was positive. I began to experience some out of the ordinary medical issues in July and sought treatment from a Lyme literate internal medicine doctor who gave me a script for a Western blot blood test (Igenex) that includes many more specific bands that relate to b. burgdorferi (the bacteria that causes Lyme). I was also informed that the protocol in urgent care facilities, ERs and doctors offices in her County is that any tick bite with attachment requires 3 weeks of doxycycline treatment, they recognize that the LabCorp Western blot test is not a realiable diagnostic indicator.

I have some bands that are positive for a recent infection. I have a long list of supplements and medications to take for two months to see how my body responds. One of the hallmark signs once antibiotic treatment begins is the presence of "herx" reactions as the bacteria die off. I experienced some of this when I'd taken azythromycin in May to treat pertussis -- had felt fine all through the illness, once I started the meds I felt like I was sick with the flu -- icky, achey, feverish for about 3 weeks afterwards. Then I learned that Azythromycin is one of the front line treatments for Lyme, so my response was rather textbook as it was also having an impact on the bacteria from the Lyme.

So, here's hoping I can kick this beast and get on track with my health. I've not felt particularly well enough to get much exercise and I've also lost 15 pounds so feel a bit weak and frail... My whole goal with the hip surgery was to no longer feel like an 80 year old woman and that seems to be the goal that is fitting for the Lyme issue as well...

Thanks for checking in on me and thanks for letting me know your experience on this topic Josephine
Take care,
Cardie
 
Gosh Cardie, sounds horrid! Shame on that GP for brushing you off! So sorry you have to go through all this. Please update when you can. We are pulling for you!
 
Good grief, you are having a very rough go of it. And you are planning a second THR? How brave to get it all oer with at once.I am sure you will beat it soon and move on with your journey. Us CDH'rs are tough chicks. Its slower because of our earlier deformities, poor ROM for decades, at least in my case, scar tissue from old surgeries and learning to ditch the T-gait. My O S said I will be left with some kind of limp but I am so determined not to. Hang in there.
 
You obviously know a lot more about this than I do! I had actually never heard of it until last year when one of my US friends said she has it. For quite a while I thought it was a form of OCPD!
 
Josephine our coast property has one of the highest incidence of ticks carrying the bacterium for Lymes disease. We have Wallabies and rabbits visiting our paddock so we have to be extremely cautious and keep the grass cut! I have removed several from SO!

Contrary to popular belief, ticks don’t drop from trees onto your head, they are either on the ground or can get onto you from brushing past bushes when you’re out walking. Then they try to get as high as they can on a human, especially the neck and head. Or they are on animals and transmitted to humans.

A red rash is also fairly indicative of Lyme, but not everyone with the infection will get the rash. The problem is that symptoms can appear up to a month after a byte from an infected tick, symptoms are not necessarily associated with the bite. One doesn't always feel the bite at the time and it could already have been on you for 12 hours by the time it feels itchy.

The sooner antibiotics are started the better though, because if it’s not treated within two weeks it can become a chronic condition. So it is ludicrous that you were denied the antibiotics Cardie.

One local woman was bitten whilst pregnant, unaware of it and the baby was infected in utero and tested positive when born.

I feel for you Cardie, it is most unpleasant, so I am informed. We are here to support you. :)

There is a lot of research into the connection of tick bites causing red meat allergy. One of our friends has been undergoing treatment for this for some years!

One can plant a number of plants as a boundary.. My favorite - the Australian Tea Tree Bush! Ticks hate TT and also Marigolds! They also hate citrus, so one can boil orange and lemon rind and use it as a spray around boots,
 
It may Vida, but there are lots of tick repellants out there. Years ago I used to train dogs in tracking. We would work through the summer months when the threat of ticks was very bad. Had to spend hours removing them from the dogs. But I always used a repellant and wore long pants and boots. Never got one.

Cardie do keep us updated!
 
You can't put un diluted tea tree on your skin. Tea Tree oil can be toxic to Humans, and of course never to be taken orally.

The Amount of pure essential oil to use generally is around 15 drops per 8 ounces (this depends largely on the oil as their potency and toxicities vary). For this formula that would be safe and you could maybe even go up to double but no more. Put this mixture in a spray bottle (glass, not plastic, as it can change the composition) and spray it on - particularly shoes, socks, or cuffs of pants.

Tea tree oil is HIGHLY effective as a bug repellent, topical antimicrobial, and disinfectant.

Qualifier:
Do not take Tea Tree internally. Keep away from eyes and mucous membranes. Keep out of reach of children. Keep away from cats. Some people may have an allergic reaction, including rashes and itching, when applying Tea Tree oil directly to the skin. If this develops, stop the use of Tea Tree oil. That is why it is best diluted.
 
Good info on Tea Tree oil Poppet. When my kids were in a small montessori school there were some classrooms that had little kids with lice and so we would use tea tree oil on their necks and scalps and strict admonitions not to lie on the carpeted floor of the great room under any circumstances... we survived lice free, thank goodness!!

Vida no second hip for me, that side is normal. Only had the dislocated hip on the one side and it's kept me busy for an awful long time...

Yes, Josephine lyme can at times have psychiatric implications for some people when it enters their neurological system, so OCD could be a component.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement :friends: It means a lot to me,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom