THR My Intro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardie, I was reading through your very touching and informative thread, I am so sorry for everything you have been through. You have tried so many modalities.... can I ask what if anything helped you with (presumably) trochanteric bursitis? I have had loads of injections in years past and I am not too keen to have more. Is it icing or? I ice a lot already and feel I'm on the cusp of more problems unless I catch it ASAP. I hope you are feeling better... any improvement on the lyme front? Vicki
 
Poppet Thanks! I have done as Jo recommended but I suspect it won't disappear overnight and a shot may just be the thing.
 
Vida without wanting to derail Cardie's thread, sometimes an injection is recommended.

When I saw my OS to discuss my LTHR to be done last September, he indicated that I had Trochanter Bursitis.. which surprised me.. He offered and injection, but I said no thanks, not keen and agreed. So what have I done.. Rested it a lot, reduced my Nordic Walking for a while and it is settling down very well, in fact I don't have pain there at all. :)
 
Trochanteric bursitis:

Before I was told I had bursitis I thought that the tingly feeling in my hip had something to do with my lateral scar from my baby surgery -- I thought adhesions were loosening up and scar tissue was dissolving and miracles were on the horizon.:heehee: Then I had an ultrasound and a look at that bursa, got the diagnosis and got the response from my OS that TB is not uncommon after a surgery of this type.

As with many of the issues I've dealt with since my surgery a year and a half ago, I formulated my own response to the bursitis because I was not interested in having an injection. I did lots of searches to better understand the anatomy of my leg and this type of problem, which does happen to people with "normal" hips that aren't THR or dysplasic.

I will say that my bursa was not *so* inflamed and painful that I couldn't do anything. I'd already been on a variety of anti-inflammatories over the months since the surgery and that hadn't had an impact, I probably tried ice on occasion, I'd already been through a 2 month period of doing nothing so it was pretty obvious that "rest" wasn't my answer either.

This is the part where my story will diverge a bit from where you are currently Vida I was much further out from surgery and I'd not had any complications or WB restrictions. So, I decided that I needed to try to make changes in my muscles so that my body wouldn't have to throw up that protective bursitis response. Identify the muscles and IT band that needed more work in terms of stretching and movement to take the pressure off that point of the trochanter. I did the foam roller to stretch the IT band daily and also found some other types of stretches that involved different types of external/internal rotation of my hip joint. In dealing with TB I found that I also needed to focus on my gluteus muscles as they are what are connected to the IT band and can be tight and contribute to the IT band and TB issues.

I went back to PT and asked specifically for stretches and exercises that would target my IT band and gluteal tightness. I didn't get help at either of the PT practices on this for reasons I won't go in to, but I think that some people might have more success with this request from their PT people. I'd suggest that you speak about your bursa next time you visit with your PT people and see if they'll asses it and determine something they might be able to include in your treatment at this point.

The TFL muscle is also involved in my bursa issue, so I try to help that little muscle in the front of my thigh with both stretches, massage and exercises -- it still seems to have suffered trauma from the surgery as my anterior approach weeded between my TFL and my sartorius muscles to get to my joint.

Lastly, I will say that I am hopeful that my adaptive yoga class will help with the stretches that we do in there. Time helps in some regards as well as my body has adapted, stretched, shifted and tilted around. I do still feel my sore bursa when I dig in to my hip area but it's not so acute that it interferes with my functioning. I like to try to support my body in finding a way to deal with a problem vs. having an injection which may only help with symptom relief but not the physiological reason behind the symptom.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Haha Vicki, I somehow think that wearing wellies won't cut the mustard in that stretch of Alex'.....I'm thinking more like lead boots to keep my legs in that position.lol. Thats like if I could ever do that pose of which I am 100% certain that won't be happening. I got a shock when I clicked on Alex' link and seen that lady in all her bendiness...wowza.

I tried that leg up stretch and to be honest I was even pretty pathetic with my GOOD leg, so you can imagine how it went with my bad one. Hey ho, that's another one to add to my 'persevere' list...thanks Alex. Cardie, can you do that stretch..with either leg? lol.....if any I will be very impressed.hehe.
 
Here's the bio on that bendy gal in the website that Alex posted. No I don't have her degree of flexibility.

broken link removed: https://www.athleta.net/chi/featured-athletes/tara-krolczyk/ is a dance, yoga and Pilates instructor who has trained with some of the most reputable professionals and dance companies, including: Mikhail Baryshnikov, River North Dance Company, Gus Giordano’s Dance Company in Chicago, and several others… {broken link removed: https://www.athleta.net/chi/featured-athletes/tara-krolczyk/}

 
Wow, I only have 5 months until I get to the 2 year anniversary of my fake hip. This is supposed to be The Year of Adaptation and I do think that that is continuing to occur. I would really like that forgotten fake hip -- or maybe it's the surrounding areas of discomfort that I'd really like to cure and be done with.

I am going back to visit with the pain management doctor next month to see what information he can give me based on the x-ray series of my SI joints/lumbar spine that were done in July. I have to get a new script for the MRI since 6 months has lapsed after I fled from the MRI facility unable to cope with the open machine. I'm going to ask for the MRI to cover both my SI area and hip as well. I do just have too much soft tissue discomfort in the side of my hip to be greater trochanteric bursitis there must be something more like tendonitis or something.

I don't have any new theories that I'm working off of, just hoping that the things that hurt stay consistent in the way they hurt and that nothing new crops up. I have my weekly adaptive yoga class, which I'd never have been able to do a year ago -- lordy!! I'm still awful sporadic when it comes to the gym and my general activity level is lower than I'd hoped or imagined it could be after my surgery.

That's about all the news that's fit to print here --
Take care,
Cardie
 
Yoohoo Cardie...I like the Year of Adaptation concept, think I will use that phrase myself from now on seeing as I am coming up to 12 months :) I need to adapt further in a good way.


Do you have pain all the time from your tender areas? Just wondering if you still rely on pain relief or whether you have found a way to get over it without using medication. I too am hoping no more painful issues pop up, you have already had your fair share :sad:

It must be a great feeling being able to partake in the Yoga class now. I have tried a bit more on the wii but am still not getting very far. I'm with you on the exercise front. I think I actually may have forgot some of the earlier stuff now, I suppose that is normal when we try so many different things.

It's great to have an update from you, I love to hear about your new stuff seeing as I am behind you. It gives me and no doubt other members hope that I maybe will reach the same stages later on.

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Hey Cardie how you doin'....said in my best Joey Tribianni voice...........how are those proper squats coming along. It's killing me doing them the right way.lol. but it is worth it getting it right right? Can you really feel it in your back doing it without the doorknob? I am hanging onto the door handle and feel like I am getting there slowly but surely :)

Hope you have a lovely weekend

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Well, at yoga this week we did do a little "squat" exercise of just being pressed up against the wall and scooting down to a squat, as if we were sitting in an invisible chair. I guess that's probably also a good way of making sure my knees are back and not jutting over my toes -- or that my feet are far enough forward. Anniepops you would think that with all the doors in my house I'd make a more concerted effort to do the door squats. It seems that I have to take it slowly for a day or two after yoga class, as I tend to push my flexibility further than I should in most of what we do and then end up having some soreness afterwards.

I don't use anything for pain, and aside from a point over a year ago when I'd pulse with acetaminophen and anti-inflammatories, I haven't used prescription pain medications since a few weeks after my surgery. My painful spots are more like trigger point pains and some wander about in my thigh. My SI joint is also pretty random in terms of pain, actually more of a burning sensation of the ligaments that are over the joint and stretched out. Sometimes when I sit very still nothing hurts, so I try to remember to think of that at times, it's just that I'd like to have nothing hurt while I am moving around!! I spend a lot of time going from sitting, to standing, to walking about because no one posture is comfortable for long periods of time -- which makes it difficult to find a job that will allow for all this moving about (without the threat of stocking shelves or moving stuff...).

The Pain & Spine specialist appointment was with the PA, which was fine. The radiologist that wrote the report from my lumbar x-ray series took the "chicken" approach in saying that he couldn't fully evaluate things like disk spacing because of my scoliosis -- but my chiropractor was fully capable of seeing my disk spacing on the images. The PA has given me a new script for an MRI but it's of the lumbar region and won't include the SI joint or any of the glute muscle attachments/cluneal nerves -- that is the pelvic series. She wants to rule out any disk herniation of the L5 or annular tear with chemical radiculitis (which means when the disk is torn and fluid is leaking out and irritating the nerves). Neither I nor my chiropractor think this problem is feasible.

We did talk about my concern that when the OS installed the hardware and tried to correct for the LLD that the force of the appliance shot my SI joint back and out of alignment instead of pushing my femur down & elongating it. The PA said that they see this all the time!!

I also got a new script for PT and the recommendation for a different guy that is a musculoskeletal specialist. I may go and interview him and allow him to evaluate me to see if he has some ideas that are more novel than the other two PTs. I do sometimes learn new things from the people that I see, but right now I'm a little tired of my collection of opinions from experts and just want to have the forgotten fake hip.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Yes Cardie, I can imagine you pushing your body to the limits during Yoga so you are excused for not doing the doorknob squats frequently. :) I am doing them holding onto the mantlepiece but my fingers do slip a bit and I have visions of them totally slipping and me ending up on my bum with two broken hips so I have to be very careful. I also use my exercise ball up against the wall, haven't tried it without the ball. So many 'to try' things on my list.hehe.

Sounds like a good idea to see the muscoskeletal guy, he must be an expert and seen lots of different cases so hopefully he can offer some advice.

I can totally understand how you are fed up of seeing so many people, none of whom have been able to really help you fully. Fingers crossed that someone somewhere can help you relieve the pain.xxx


Take care

Ann.x.
 
I just came over to say HI. I see that you are doing Yoga which I love to do. When I get less sore I plan to go back to it. How is your health challenge coming alone? Life can be so interesting at times and really a pain. Please take care. Tashia
 
Hi everyone
I am also looking forward to starting Yoga class again, at 12 weeks post op my OS has cleared me for bending but says leave it a bit before twisting - he was impressed when I touched my toes and stood up again easily. The new session in the classes begins after Easter so I will start then - it's a gentle yoga class and we all have something amiss (hips, wrists, knees, shoulders, necks, you name it!) so we have alot of adapted poses and sometimes we're all doing different things. We also do the squats by sliding down a wall or door which stops the knees going past the toes and also it's impossible to stick your butt out! The teacher Marie also says "If anything hurts, stop immediately!" We end up with relaxation, everyone's favourite bit - usually a few snores can be heard!

Learning the difference between extending yourself painlessly and overdoing it is the most difficult part of recovery, we had a busy weekend last week and it has taken me over a week to get over the tiredness!

Regards to all
Anne
 
Still working on the Year of Adaptation:

It is amazing how many times you can revisit the clam, but take solace in knowing that apparently there are "normal" people that do this exercise as a way of getting Buns of Steel.

I am on to progressive clams:

[Bonesmart.org] My Intro...

These are the reverse style with the knee together and lifting the foot and then there are the elevated clams where the knee and the ankle are separated by a few inches and you do the traditional movement of open/close at the knee and the reverse movement of open/close at the foot. Thirty reps of each of the 4 variations on each side.

Dead bug for the core:
[Bonesmart.org] My Intro...

Arms are static in the air and legs alternate up and down while keeping core engaged, breathing and not tensing at the shoulder/neck.

Dying bug:
[Bonesmart.org] My Intro...

Alternating the lifted leg and the opposite arm while keeping the core tight and breathing and not arching the low back up.

Revisiting most all the exercises that I've ever done in PT before and after surgery. Still can't separate out the QL and obliques from my hip on the THR side but have gotten some seriously aggressive deep muscle stretching in the glute medius & maximus - probably even the minimus and rotators that are snug down in that buttock of mine.


Oh! I cannot forget that I am ON the pidgeon again -- still suck at it but am working it again!!!!! HA HA and I didn't even ask for it :spin:

broken link removed: https://tuneyoga.com/go-to-pose-sweet-pigeon/:
Couldn't get the picture to stay in my message -- it's about half way through the article that I linked to -- and the written information after the picture of the modified pose is very interesting to read too!!
I experiment with the angle of my foot that's on the bed bringing it closer to my body so that I just start to feel the stretch and it's not as intense as when the leg is out at a wider angle.

These are all the things that you have to look forward to after the Year of Healing if you are a hippy of abnormal geometry due to congenital issues -- like me...

Take care,
Cardie
 
Soooooo.....when you have adapted, you will have healing AND buns of steel? Not a bad outcome for all your effort. :)

Sharon
 
Hi C Mac, wish I could go to your adaptive yoga class. I am a yippee of abnormal geometry too, I have elements of scoliosis, hip dysplasia, lordosis and a gift from my OS, which is 1cm LLD. I could not do a clam at all for months. I can do it now but I plan on trying your reverse version.
Not sure if I know what the pigeon is. I cannot imagine doing a wall sit into a squat, but I sure wish you could come over and how me. I feel a real void in knowledge for joint replacement therapy around here. Where did you find out about your adaptive yoga class?
 
sharonslp I should have buns of steal for 2 years of effort! Maybe during the 3rd year, which is the Year of Excelling.

BarbieJ Do you have any yoga studios in your area or neighboring towns?? If they don't offer an adaptive class, ask if they'd scramble one together -- "build it and they will come..." My studio has it twice a week and a gentle yoga class which is similar but only 1 hour. Oh and my teacher also goes to a retirement type of facility and teaches a class there to some elderly folks -- maybe you could get in to a class in a venue like that???

I came to know my instructor when my kids took a class with a different teacher 2005-2007. I had reconnected with my childrens' teacher 6 months after my surgery (2011) in the hopes of doing some private sessions at home with her -- I was still having a lot of struggles with the healing phase and couldn't start anything at that time though. I learned that my current teacher had had two spine fusion surgeries around the time of my hip surgery and was encouraged to connect with her by both my childrens' teacher and my rolfer that practices out of the yoga studio. It took me about another year two more rounds of physical therapy and a long series of Feldenkrais classes to finally be ready to start adaptive yoga.

I have found that the therapy (physical therapy) that I have received for my hip has been similar both before and after my surgery, in other words you do a lot of the same exercises with the funky hip as you do with the fake hip (clams, bridges, leg lifts, squats, dead bug, 4 way stretches and I could go on). I have found a difference in the intensity of the PT at 10 weeks post surgery vs. just shy of 2 years post-op. Since I've not had any problems with dislocations and never had any restrictions since the surgery, plus so much time out from the healing phase of recovery I am just about viewed like a normal girl. Well, at least in my hip joint all my other geometrical issues provide good fodder for some sort of research paper and professional seminars.:rolleyes:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Cardie, I love it when you come on with some new exercises, thanks for posting with pictures. Have to bob off now but will be back tomorrow to study further and give them a whirl.

Hope you are well

Ann
Xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom