THR My Intro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Elle, that is powerful, thank you :)
 
Yes, Cardie, I echo Jytoti. I see you on posts (thank you for visiting my thread and giving your good imput), but you have not updated us what is going on in your life.
Hope all is well,
Warmest,
Elle
 
Hey Cardie, hows it going?

I havent been posting but still reading and trying to keep up with everyone. Just wondering how you are feeling at the mo....any improvement?

Ann
Xxx
 
Well, I haven't written in my thread lately so here's a little update:

I've been to a couple more individual Feldenkrais sessions and have now decided that I'll do the broken link removed: https://www.bodyawarement.com/atm_classes_9.html classes weekly, still with the same teacher and a few other clients of hers. I've had my 7th rolfing appointment and she seems to think that I'm doing pretty well and moving better through my whole body. I can go back whenever I feel I need a tune up. I had begun some PT in the hopes of getting work on my IT band and gluteus muscles this only resulted in about 3 sessions as my PT didn't feel he could address my issues because of risk of dislocation in attempting those types of stretches. We did some core machine work, but that was not something that was going to be good for my SI joint.

I've hit the wall on something related to this mid-life period of development and have been experiencing some great difficulties with physiological anxiety symptoms that are difficult to get to abate. This has shut me down on my hip focus while I try to figure out what has gone wrong with the rest of my system... Fortunately, my hip has been happy to just do nothing, there has been very little rebellion!

We vacationed in the north country and I soaked my bursitis in a cold, spring fed lake every day which settled all that down quite nicely. I did short walks on a hard packed dirt road in the evening to try to get my system reset and my hip was ok with this as well.

Haven't been back to the prolotherapy guy but my back x-rays all came back with normal stuff for a gal my age -- no glowing evidence of herniation or spondylolysisthesis or anything else that was wacky. I've stopped the chiro for the past two months because I decided that if I have hypermobile issues in my pelvis maybe I should stop having it twisted around every week and let it try to stabilize itself...

So, the new theory I'm hatching out is that year one was the year for healing and now year two is the year for adaptation of my body to all the structural changes that have come about from my re-alignment with the surgery. I told my Feldenkrais gal that year three with be for excelling.

Wish me well, it has been a long and arduous process, but there must be some rewards coming in the future -- I need them!!

Take care,
Cardie
 
Sounds like you have a plan Cardie

You will get there hon, you show such strength of character and you are strong survivor considering all that you have been through... the rewards are on their way :)
 
Cardie,

Those rewards are sure to come your way. You have had a tough time, and worked hard throughout, seeking the positive outcome. I like to believe that life balances out, so surely it your turn! And I am positive you will excel in year three. As a matter of fact, I think you have excelled from the beginning...just saying'...

Suki
 
Oh I do wish you well Cardie, I wish you all that you wish yourself and then some. I'm sorry to hear about the emotional rollercoaster you are on with your recovery, sometimes the lows are much more abundant than the highes but you do have such spirit and I know you will get where you want to be in the end, if anyone can do it you can :friends:

Pleased you enjoyed your vacation, you were brave to jump in that cold lake every day but it's good that it helped your bursitis.

Thankyou for continuing to post on my thread, you have no idea how much of a great help you have been to me and I really really appreciate your kindness and thoughtfulness.

Hoping you find the right way to move on and improve...I'm rooting for you :thumb:

Take care

Ann
Xxx
 
Hey there Cardie,

I have been wondering how you are. It sounds like you are making improvements and your three year plan (and now gettign ready for the "excel" year is a good one). Very happy you found the Freldenkrais class. I zeroed into one thing you said in your posting "I've hit the wall on something related to this mid-life period of development and have been experiencing some great difficulties with physiological anxiety symptoms that are difficult to get to abate." I am a decade ahead of you and know exactly what you are talking about. YOu just have to hang in there and connect with your breath. Perhaps the Freldenkrais classes can help, but if you can do some pranayama on your own, that would support centering and help anxiety lessen.

I wish the best for you, lovely spirit and am sending you hugs from the East.

Hugs
Elle
 
It sounds like your vacation did you good. Sometimes it's nice to get away and not be "all hips, all the time" if you know what I mean.

You mentioned that you did well walking on the dirt roads up there on vacation. Any chance you can continue that now that you are back home or is that not an option in your area? Walking on dirt or gravel or even grass is so much easier on the joints than pavement or concrete. It might be a good way to ease into a walking routine, if you think that would be helpful to your physical or mental state.
 
Hi Cardie just dropped by to see how you are progressing.

You most certainly have all my thoughts and prayers for a smoother recovery from now on, you have had your share of issues..

Hang in there lovely lady :)
 
Hi Cardie,
It certainly is an emotional roller coaster. Glad you will be going to the Awareness through movement classes. Hoping that will help. We just have to soldier on and eventually we'll get there.
Sending you positive vibes and wishing you well.
Jyoti
 
I like what Suki said "I think you have excelled from the beginning...just saying'.., and I think that too, but totally understand your frustration. It is not easy to accept the pace our bodies have chosen to heal, especially while the pace of others seems so different. I, too, love how you reframed your 3 yr plan and think it s a good one.

I also like what Elle said about breath work. I am going to look for my book on breath and tell you the title of it. Simple excercises to work on breath. I think Elle is right, it could help. In my pm I did mention meditating and that really did help me through life's changes. . The movement classes sound interesting. I am going to be done with my extra pool time, I need to look for something else movement wise to do. (and yes Sandy, Nordic walking could be an option, but walking is so boring to me)

You know I'm with you girl, hang in there and keep putting it out there. Plenty of hipster women peeps that are older than you that can SO relate and understand. :yikes: Cathy
 
Hey girl, how are those movement classes going. I am still curious about Feldenkrais and have been looking it up in my area.

Also can't remember if I've asked you this or not, but was wondering if your chiro ever uses the activator. Even before "the hip" I started to get adjusted this way. It s much more gentle on the body. Here is a quick article on it if you (or anyone else) have never heard of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activator_technique. Not sure how I even switched over. My brother is a chiro (in my hometown) and had used it on me occasionally. Then during a rough period with my back when I lived in N.Y. My chiro there started using it and it was really effective and less jolting on my body. So when I was looking for a new chiro in my new city, I looked for one that uses it. Just a thought.

Hope you are hanging in there and finding some balance, cathy
 
Cardie, just wanted to pop in and say hello :flwrysmile:

I hope you're not too bored now the kids are back to school. I am loving it.lol

Catch you later

Xxx
 
Hi Ladies,

Thank you all for your supportive messages. The most helpful thing to me in surviving this mid-life stage of development would be to be able to exercise vigorously and that just has not been the situation yet. I keep having to make these different changes and recently it's been phasing down my activity -- although, this week I'm going to work on phasing back up... If I can both sweat out toxins and get endorphins circulating in my brain I think I can cope better with all this other stuff.

I had a very serious talk with one of the part time personal trainers at the rec center that I've been exercising at for the past 7 years. I expressed some really deep emotions about how that place has affected me and am now realizing that I've got to get out of there and move up to a gym with a higher level of functioning and less geriatric population. It was one thing to use the rec center when I was struggling through PT and avoiding surgery and grieving the loss of my mother and in pain and then 6 years later as I was trying to phase back in from PT post surgery. But, now I deserve more and better and in order to achieve my goal, when I get to the third year, of excelling -- then I can have a trainer (IRL) who will gently guide me on to that track. I'm not sure I'll use the person I was venting to, but I have to hatch a plan that will embrace the notion that I deserve something more than I have been giving myself.

Yes, alexthecat; I can find some grassy patches to walk on and there is a small gravel "track" at the neighborhood school. Sounds like the unevenness of the walking surface may be beneficial for my tendons, ligaments & muscles in terms of both stretching and stressing them differently now that I'm so far out from surgery, yes?

Cathy, my chiro does use the activator and has on occassion. I tend to like the big manual adjustments because I'm so flexible and it takes a lot of force to get the release sometimes. However, I am taking a break from the chiro right now just to let my body settle and assess where I am. It's been ok, too!

I have also taken a break from the daily home-based stretching routine for a bit. I realized that before my hip surgery I never stretched and that I was really doing it to try to asses my ROM after surgery and also pushing myself in a way that wasn't helpful. I'm naturally flexible, my ROM has returned and is good, and what I really need is just regular exercise and a few little stretches when something feels tight or out of sorts.

I've always stunk when it comes to "breath work" of yoga or meditation. I am finding that the ATM (Feldenkrais) class is a bit of a subtle way in to this as well. Plus, I had to do some serious breath work when I was on vacation and thought my body was going to implode... Elle11; and VThereandnow;

Still working on climbing out of "the box" DallasSarah; & rider1960; I think we talked about this a long, long time ago in Sarah's thread -- those limitations that came about because of the pain and discomfort that we experienced due to our hip dysfunction.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Cardie, walking on natural surfaces is a good way to train your balance and improve the interaction of the muscles in your hip, leg and foot. It's what your body was designed to do.

If you want to try some Do It Yourself personal training, Google "12 weeks to weight loss". That's a fairly gentle program to ease someone into an exercise program. I think you will be able to see how to modify it to meet your needs. I'm here if you have questions though.
 
Hi Cardie,

I completely get what you are saying. Oops not the Bursistus or ligament things sorry you have to deal with this.

The anxiety and YES the famous small box we back up into and make it home is a PRE surgical deal I went through, I think we all relate to our worlds getting very small during those painful times. I'm pushing and fighting for new things to come into my life now because if not my world would not change at all. I'm happy puttzing around my place with Miles and never change a thing. Too late for me now I'm packing, cleaning up and moving on and it's terrifying. I get anxious leaving my house to run errands and find the hip becomes part of the daily rituals. Some of this has to come back to what's normal for people and I think for us we have lost a piece of normal by having a fake hip. Luckily mine works well. I think fear plays a role too. This entire adventure having our hips replaced was a BIG deal!!

Chin up Cardie! Your a very strong force for all of us and appreciated! Mabe you also have the change starting too.....??? That's my next adventure grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Be good to yourself first!

xxooxx
 
Okay, just a quick note to let you know that the new PT tells me that when I am trying to walk in the neighborhood that I should think about ..... Diarrhea.... and this is so that I will tuck my tailbone in and under and hold my stomach tight -- some of the physical postures that we revert to when we have a tummy bug and are trying to hold our bowels and deal with cramps.

So, if you are having issues with a bit of accentuated pelvic tilt (being swaybacked or lordosis)
[Bonesmart.org] My Intro...


then you too can think of this slightly disgusting issue as you are walking as well, in the hopes of holding your pelvis differently. :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Cardie!

Whatever works, right...wish there was something a little more pleasant to thing about though. I've actually been thinking about Charlie's nut cracking with his butt...HaHa! It works too.

Hope the new PT helps. Good to hear from you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom