THR My Intro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Cardie,

Wonderful news on the ROM! So sorry to hear what you have been going through. You are always giving, encouraging and helpful to so many of us, for that thank you. Now we want to support and encourage you.

Do you know what area you may have nerve issues? Nerves are such a slow-go and one never knows how long it may take or if they will resolve completely. I have to try each day to stay positive and focus on what I can do and some days are more difficult than others. You have helped me so much with practical advice, keeping a journal, looking at healing month by month, resting, taking a break...hoping you are able to do those things for yourself as well as they really help.

Loved your story about your doggies and pics you posted for Dorothy. Hang in there. We are here for you.:console2:
 
Just a couple more thoughts Cardie. One is, I am wondering if your chiro ever uses the activator on you. Before I moved I started getting adjusted more and more that way. Much more gentle and still effective. Foung a chiropractor here who uses it effectively also. Wondering if you are (since you mentioned the SI joint) having any issues with your pelvis still being a bit tilted. My chiro has been having me use some wedges at home a few times a day to assist with holding my adj, and keeping my pelvis in place. It has actually been helping.

I hear you on the job thing. I left my job of 12years to come here with a bad hip and no job with the intention of getting the hip better and taking a year off to decide what I was going to do. I did not know I would be having a THR. So in June we have been here a year and I am where I am, and have just said, I need to start volunteering or something, and get out of my hip - I hear you sister :console2: though I must say all our company has helped distract me.

I forgot to mention above, I think the ROM news is amazing, simply amazing, AND a testament to how hard you have been working.

Lastly, I hope you are able to take in everything people are saying to you. Not only about your recovery, but how people here on this forum see you. They describe you as Strong, tenacious, never giving up, always searching for the answer, working to be the best you can be, always offering advice to others, giving of yourself when you yourself are not feeling great. Your hip and body issues do not define who you are as a person. Take in what all these people who have been communicating with you along this year are saying and frustrated as you are, know how much you have to offer.

Later pal, and I hope you had a good wknd, Cathy
 
Cardi

I am both humbled and exhilirated when I read your thread: humbled because in spite of the many challenges that have faced you, you have not only had the tenacity to get through them, but while doing them, giving so much support to others and exhilirated, because your strength and love and courage and potimism...and SUCCESS...just shines through!!! You are a gorgeous human being, Cardie!! I agree with VThereandnow 's wonderful quote; it will be alright. Maybe even more important, it is alright NOW because that is where you and your beloved body are at this point in time.

You know,rolffing is such an intense kind of treatment...it is so deep tissue and can can release so much ****: physical, emotional, psychological. Make sure the rolfer is super-clear of all your issues. In fact you may find even feel downish after these sessions, because emotional things come to the surface and need to be processed, released or integrated; therefore make sure you go into super-pamper mode afterwards. Rolffing is not pamper-massage, but it certainly can be incredibly helpful.

I agree with sharonslp that the feature of us seeing the age of people on the old forum was useful; Sharon is so right when she talks about how aging affects us.

Cardie, did you mention...pigeon pose??? As in PIGEON POSE??? I see you have a habit of slipping these major things in your post! I am just thinking that it may take 12 months to even put my operated leg in pigeon TOES!

Hugs and hope your are feeling better soon!
Elle
 
Elle11; It is pigeon pose -- not full or king, but more like this

It came about in someone else thread that was doing this to help with some muscle soreness and I exclaimed surprise that he could do THIS pose!!! Then Alex began to give us some stretch tips in her own thread on how to work towards pigeon. Between my tight flexors and rotators I can't get to this position, but I'm thrilled to be trying and know that as a THR gal it's an option!!

I have been trying this version of the stretch with my leg on the bed and very gently leaning forward to stretch things. My back leg is a bit more bent that this woman's since I'm not up so high.

[Bonesmart.org] My Intro...

My surgery was anterior approach, so I don't have any restrictions on what I can do in terms of dislocation issues -- I do have restrictions on what my body is willing to cooperate with still....:wink:

Take care,
Cardie
 
I forget you had anterior Cardie, but this is still admirable to me, "I'm just sayin" :wink:
 
Oh Cardie

I wish I could wave a magic wand and you are better. This has been too long for you and I know that you are being worn down by it. I have no magical answers, however I can always send you hugs and love xoxoxox
 
Cardie,

It is amazing to me that you can do this challenging pose (the adapted one of the leg up on the desk still requires considerable flexibity). Thank you for posting the pictures; it is very interesting and something to aspire to!

I am sorry that, even though you have made so mcuh progress and have this good ROM, that you are suffering. I just looked up bursitis to see what you are dealing with and saw how painful it could be. What a drag to have to deal with this, especially as you are so committed to your health.

Hope you are feeing a bit better now? I fear not, as you have not said you do.

Healing energy and hugs,
Elle
 
I forget you had anterior Cardie, but this is still admirable to me, "I'm just sayin" :wink:

The other hippies that were working on this pose were posterior approach and lateral approach -- so it seemed to be an equal opportunity pose, if you will.... :snork:
 
I started to write this last night but had some kid things that required two eyes and full attention so had to jump off the computer:


You guys are so awesome, if I didn't have a little cheering section I don't know how I'd continue to cope with all of this!!
I am tenacious, but I'm trapped in this body and have to figure out a way of making it work more comfortably for a few years. When I made the decision to have THR surgery it was to get 5-7 years of pain free mobility with my kids before they all wander into adulthood. I figured if I waited until I was 60 I'd be up and ready to go and they'd all have other things going on like jobs and families of their own.

I am feeling a little better, still having some of that glute tension/discomfort and the usual SI discomfort. Been using plenty of ice on the side of my hip, my buttock area and go to sleep on the ice pack every night for my SI joint. I did decide to go an see another doctor that had been recommended by both the OS and the PT -- it's actually a practice that I'd visited years earlier when I was exploring prolotherapy as a way of avoiding THR surgery.

Dr. Wagner and his PA informed me that I am hypermobile -- AKA, double-jointed. Supposedly when one has this issue it can mean that ligaments are lax and muscles have to work harder at keeping things (like bones) in proper placement. In regards to my SI joint issue this means that my ligaments are stretched and muscles are attempting to adapt in holding my pelvis together -- or something along those lines... I'm going to have a couple of back x-rays and an MRI of my lumbar area for a deeper look. Or course, part of his recommendation would be prolotherapy injections as that is his modality of treatment for issues he sees. Not sure that I'll follow through with this option as I'm feeling a bit like I've had enough invasive medical intervention over the past year. I have to figure out how to stabilize and support my own system as it CONTINUES to adapt from this THR surgery for a while longer.

My chiropractor does not agree that I have a hypermobile pelvis, and he's been treating me for 17 years. He's been urging me to work on wearing a lift in my show to help with the ongoing LLD. I have chosen to put a small 1/4" foam insert into my "trainers" and experiment with them some. Yes, VThereandnow; he does use the activator on me occasionally if I'm sore or feeling icky -- mostly it is manual adjustments and sometimes the table ones where he'll lift a segment of the table and push down gently (that's usually my low back/pelvis). Coincidentally, he has suggested the blocking for my pelvis -- actually using a swim noodle cut into segments. I, however, cannot remember how I'm supposed to place the things or what I'm supposed to do with them. I guess I'll have to get some clarity on that....

My pelvis still tilts down on the THR/short side, still got the rotational twist and when I walk it's as if my pelvis just rotates around in a circle as I go. I no longer have the Trendelenburg gait or the sign -- now verified by 3 professionals!!!

On the nerve piece dianemarie; I don't really know what nerve it may be -- sciatic, would be my guess but that's just because I don't know what other nerves originate from that area of my low back and I have forbade myself from doing much research on nerves because I don't feel strong enough to have another problem.... I do sometimes have a little tingly-ness that travels down my leg & at the bottom of my foot. I don't have burning pain down my leg and don't have any movement related problems (yet).

Ok, gotta cook some people some dinner -- jeepers.... :rolleyes:
Take care,
Cardie
 
Josephine; any opinions on the above & hypermobility?? I remember we had a little dialog about it in someone else's thread -- I'd thought it was Haldox but couldn't find it and don't seem to have much luck with the search function on the forum Jamie; is it me -- when I try to search for things I just get the plain screen and no "hits" ---- ok, loser... I was searching when I was not logged in..... :umm:
 
Hi Cardie

It must be difficult. To be getting so many different opinions at the same time.i must admit it would be hard for me to start to discern what is fact.

It all sounds plausible from both sides with your we/old Dr and your Chiro, but they have opposing opinions.

I just wish that you could get a definitive diagnosis but I guess the best you can and are doing is to be your own advocate and research, listen, research some more and then see what fits best for you with how you are feeling.

We will keep hoping Cardi, the answer has to be there somewhere! :)
 
C Mac said:
is it me -- when I try to search for things I just get the plain screen and no "hits" ---- ok, loser... I was searching when I was not logged in..... :umm:

:rotfl: Those things happen....especially when "mom multi-tasking" is going on. I know it must seem overwhelming sometimes to deal with problems that arise....when all you want to do is just get a normal life back. But don't give up. If you keep after it, you will find the right person (or persons) that can help you find the way. We're always here for you.
 
Dr. Wagner and his PA informed me that I am hypermobile -- AKA, double-jointed. Supposedly when one has this issue it can mean that ligaments are lax and muscles
Not just 'supposedly' - that's for certain! But sorry, nothing to add, I'm afraid

How about this for a hyper-extended elbow! :eeeuw:

[Bonesmart.org] My Intro...
 
Hey Cardie,
For me too many opinions can be paralyzing. I can tell you a few things. My brother is a chiro in WI and has told me to wait as long as I can to do the lift, to wait for sure 4-6 months. If the SI pain continues and the LLD seems to be hampering my moving forward, to try the lift then. You are already Farther out so maybe it IS time to try the lift. ...and i know, so many opinions about this. I swear the wedges at home have been helping my SI pain and at my last appt she said my pelvis was not AS tilted, so even if it not holding forever, we look at it as helping my body remember how my pelvis is supposed to be while my muscles get stronger to eventually support it. It has been tilted for sooo long, it just wants to go there.

Here are two pics my chiro sent so I could remember where to put my wedges. My short leg is the unoperated one, right side, so not sure if these will help you or not or bring a memory back of when you were in the office and where he put them. A noodle seems hard to me, I use a medium size rolled up towel, but whatever works.

One more thing before the pics, FANTASTIC NEWS on your gait :happydance:
Next post will be pics just in case it blows this one away haha
 
Hi Jen; how's it going???? You didn't get in to trouble with that sharpened cane we suggested you take into NYC upon your return to work did ya'? :rotfl:

How about an update on your hips??? Lots of other bi-lats hanging around and I'm sure they'd love to read your thread and see how you are doing!!!! :)

Thank you for the hugs,
Cardie
 
Hi Sandy & Cathy, Smja; VThereandnow;

Yes, too many opinions can be overwhelming to me as well -- so I am being selective about where I seek opinions right now. I don't get much in the way of information or opinions from the OS which is what has lead me to look elsewhere. I don't want surgical intervention so I don't go to see docs that do surgery. I've made it clear to the prolotherapy guy that I'm not sure I will have any injections but that I am seeking further diagnostic information right now (read - someone that can order an MRI/x-rays to look deeper & that has familiarity with the SI/lumbar region of the back).

As long as I can keep things at a low simmer and function then I just continue to hope that it is healing (maybe you are right sharonslp;) and adjusting that is occurring. It's just very alarming when I get a new batch of strange symptoms or a big uncomfortable flare up of something... it's like my body is an alien to me suddenly, still -- after a year's time.

You know we always hear how "it's all connected" with regard to the hip and various issues (aches and pains) that arise before and after surgery. However, when it comes to practitioners they are all so incredibility specialized that I feel like I need to find a "ring master" doctor in order to orchestrate this whole ordeal :rolleyes:

You all are so nice to continue to read my thread and provide support!!

Cathy, I will try the rolled towels -- that is a much better idea. I hadn't thought the pool noodle sounded very comfortable and so had not even bothered to try to locate one or try the blocking with it.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hey there Cardie,

Just been reading the last page of posts in this thread and I really feel for the challenges that your body is giving you. It sounds like it is really clamering for your attention. I know you wish it would be more straight forward with allowing you to pinpoint what is out of balance. From some of the comments from the lovely people above, I hear they also pick up that so many different possibilities and professional opinions can make one loopy.

You said, "It's just very alarming when I get a new batch of strange symptoms or a big uncomfortable flare up of something... it's like my body is an alien to me suddenly, still -- after a year's time." Of course, it's alarming when our bodies have sensations and pains and block us from doing what we want. My heart goes out to you on this!

Cardie, you amaze me with your ultra-nurturing energy. Your children are very lucky to have you as their mother, as we here are lucky to have you. Are you giving your body the same level of nurturing? You might think you are nurturing it by taking it to be checked by different professionals (and we can gleam much helpful tips from these people) and certainly your exercising and napping and good eating all support that nurturing as well, but sometimes all our bodies really need is acceptance and love. You had such body trauma at such a young age! Our bodies carry those memories. Cut yourself some slack, girl...lay down and stroke your hip and tell it that you love it just as it is.

I am sending you much healing energy from my heart. If you have time, on your next nap, lay down and listen to this
It's one of the most powerful healing mantras.

Hugs
Elle
PS If you are indeed hyper-mobile, you need to take care in any stretching and yoga positions, so as not to over-extend.
PPS AWESOME about your gait! YAY!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom