Guest viewing is limited

THR My Intro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardie,

So sorry to hear you have been having on-going and new pains...and then the cough infection on top of everything. bursitis can be so nasty and it hurts in an awful way...I had a bout of it a while back and found I had to take anti=inflammatory, rest and ice before it calmed down. I don't like to take meds if I don't have to but it was the only thing, at the time, that worked.

Please vent when you need to, you are such a support to so many of us and always giving of yourself so we are happy to support when we can. Take care.
 
Diane, How are you doing? How are your feet coming along? Thought about you today because I could walk without my feet hurting. Please stay cool and take care.:puppysmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Cardie, just wanted to send you a big hug :friends: . Sorry to hear you're having a bit of a bad time at the moment, oh the trials and tribulations of a hip replacement are so hard to bear sometimes.

Hope you are feeling better today and taking good care of yourself

Ann.x.
 
Those glute muscles take a long time to get strong from what I hear.

Hi Cathy,

It just feels like my g. medius has not adapted well to this surgery and so now I wonder if maybe the OS choosing to use my other hip as the template for the THR was creating an angle change that was more than my body could tolerate. For the longest time I thought that all the banging around to install the hardware & the force of the new joint was what had created the trouble with my SI joint and then for a while I thought it was all the time on the hana table during the surgery. Eventually, I realized that the spot that I had the pain in was the gluteus medius where it originates from the PSIS and that it seemed that that muscle was pulling my SI joint out of alignment because of the tension on it in its new position. I don't know if that makes any sense, I keep trying to come up with some theory that will make sense and help me figure out what is wrong....

I'm going to see the rolfer this evening and hoping that she can help with the aches and pains. I've also taken a diclofenic to try to settle down the inflammation. It doesn't make any sense to me that I've done nothing to make a flare up happen -- a month ago I worked vigorously in the garden and on a different day shot some baskets with one of my kids and didn't have any untoward after effects from those activities.

I see the OS next week & am uncertain about how they will view or treat me if this is bursitis.
Oh and it's really, really hot here now -- so no more walks for me for a while...
Still crabby,
Cardie
 
bursitis can be so nasty and it hurts in an awful way...I had a bout of it a while back and found I had to take anti-inflammatory, rest and ice before it calmed down.

Hey Diane,
How did they diagnose your bursitis just based on pain location or did they do an ultrasound? You didn't have to have an injection? I'm going to see the PA on Monday meanwhile I'm taking anti-inflammatory meds., tylenol, icing and went to see the rolfer yesterday. I can't figure out what kicked mine up a notch this week. Of course that is all assuming that bursitis is what I'm dealing with, much of my pain is in the glute muscles near my SI joint and some on the side/trochanter area.

It's going to be a long weekend.....
Cardie
 
Cardie,

It was on pain location and description of pain...it was not a medical diagnosis, it's what my PT thought based on all the info. The pain was on L side about 4" down from waist and SORE...I too, from time to time have a similar pain to what you are describing near the SI joint but mine has resolved some as the hip has gotten stronger. PT thought my "bursitis" was not severe, seemed to catch it early on and attend to it but it took a while to resolve. (maybe it wasn't bursitis after all?) I know we are supposed to keep moving but it was complete rest that helped resolve this.

Hoping you can get some relief soon and figure out what is going on.
 
Hi Cardie

So sorry you are having such a rough time... Time for your BoneSmart family to give you a hug and support you, like you do for so many of us..

A friend of mine has just been diagnosed with bursitis. My theory in her situation is that she took on a very strenuous O/S 2 month trip about 8 weeks following surgery and maybe the extended exercise, walking, stairs, different beds, climbing etc etc has contributed to her condition now. She described and showed it to me and we looked up my interactive muscle app and could pin point it to the Glutes.she sits on an ice pack most days, but says she feels better when moving..

I feel for your frustration and disappointment Cardie, I do hope you will be able to find some relief and solution soon.

Thanks for asking about my hubby.. Would you believe after two courses of antibiotics he had about a week feeling better and then it has come back again, so now on his third course. Problem is working around and amongst lots of other people doesn't help..

I do hope your cough is feeling better... Thank you for all the support you give to all of us :friends:
 
Hey Cardie,

Thanks so much for giving me encouragement, when I see you have been goign through your own rough time...from the very beginning! I am just gettign around to reading other people's posts and I am impressed with your determination to keep up on your healing journey.

I really related with what you said : I rebelled against this recommendation for 6 years and 3 orthopaedic surgeons, acupuncture, physical therapy, exercise to try to impact they way the muscles held the femur in the socket, herbal remedies, vitamin supplements, chiropractic adjustments and a sprinkle of denial. I could pretty much utter the same sentence!

Is see you are into alternative remedies. Me, too.

Now tell me, how did your rolfing session go??? Are you feeling any better now?

I couldn't figure out your user name...CMAC? It doesnt come up.

Healing vibes to you!
 
I did go back to the OS for my "one year visit" so I guess this may be my one year update... I'm not really where I thought I'd be at one year out from this surgery and that is really disappointing to me in many ways. I had not anticipated seeing the OS the week that I went and actually ended up moving the appointment up earlier because I was having hip/glute discomfort and didn't want to sit around gloom and dooming myself.

Mostly my appointment was the usual check-up with x-rays which all looked fine, review of the radiologists report on my incision/bursa issue and me reporting on this new glute stuff. I have sheepishly begun to ask how to tell if I am experiencing some nerve issues, that is what my new worry revolves around...

Since there isn't really anything that I can directly attribute the discomfort I'm experiencing to, the PA went with my husband's theory that it is an after-effect to all the wreaking coughing that I've been doing for the past two months -- use/stress of muscles that aren't usually used in that particular fashion... There is some chance that there is bursa related stuff going on as well. I expressed my concern that maybe it's related to the IT band/gluteus muscle tightness and asked for some PT to address & asses that as my problem.

I proudly showed off my ROM and asked if it was "normal" now to which the PA responded that it was "above average" so that was the good news piece from the appointment!!

I've only been to see the PT once and am not sure how that re-connection will work out for me. I only expect to have 3 or 4 sessions, however, there was some concern on the part of my PT about the IT band focus. He tells me that the usual IT band related stretches he would do he cannot do as they would pose a chance of dislocation that he is not willing to risk. I did complain about feeling like my pelvis is unstable still so we did a few core related machines. I got to have broken link removed: https://www.allcareortho.com/iontophoresis.htm which seemed to lessen the swelling of my TFL/bursa at the front of my hip for a day or two.

In the meantime, we've had some wickedly hot & unfriendly weather in our area so even a soak in the swimming pool isn't very refreshing (84 degree water...). I've been doing my stretches a little less happily over the past few weeks and after a 3 week break from the gym went back on Monday to the tiny start of my routine with half of all the weights....

I'm not sure how I'll pursue the nerve issue question as I don't seem well grounded for the stress of more doctors and opinions, tests or threats of procedures. I'm trying to just get a handle on my anxiety levels and the sadness that this surgery has not turned out to be what was promised or what I'd hoped for.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Cardie,

Sorry to hear about both the physical and mental stresses... Missed expectations CAN be daunting and I feel like none of my expectations are fixed in anything firmer than warm pudding. They're not overly solid...and I do expect that they WILL probably move.

Here in Massachusetts it has been hot, sticky and gross so I know what you are dealing with (only yours IS worse). Is it possible to pick a new target (not as your destination, but as a point along the journey ) that you CAN strive for...and work on that until you get there (be it 2 weeks or 2 months) and only THEN pick the next?


I play little mind games like that all the time. I may miss "dates" all the time (like hopefully I can do X by such a date) but until I am dead, I can still keep trying for X. And if I pick things that I have a chance of reaching in the foreseeable future, then I eventually get to have a little success along the way...

I hope you have a nice weekend...and is it too early to be looking forward to some crisp Fall weather???? :what:

Z
 
Cardie,
I am sorry you are not where you want to be, I really am. My heart goes out to you. I can only imagine how it feels, feeling sometimes how I do at only 3.5 months. Keep hanging in and don't give up. I know You are not where you want to be, but that does not mean you won't get there. It will just be later than sooner. It is good you are visiting the grief of that, as we have to honor our feelings, and then, when it is time, gather your strength and keep trucking, [Bonesmart.org] My Intro... and I know you will, cathy
 
Oh dear Cardie,

I am sorry you are feeling disappointed in where you are in your healing. All these extra pains are certainly discouraging.

But, before you go and persue these problems, you have to first CELEBRATE...didn't I correctly read above that your PT said your ROM was ABOVE AVERAGE...as in...WOW! That sounds like champagne and ice cream news to me!

Have you considered massage therapy on the glutes?

Keep optimistic. Z and Cathy have good comments above. We are just where we are. And that is fine.

Hugs
Elle
 
New motto for all of us, just got it from a movie tonight

Everything will be all right in the end, if it is not all right, then it is not the end [Bonesmart.org] My Intro...
 
Cathy, what a wonderful motto... I am going to add that to my long list that I have collected from the forum.. xx
 
Oh Cardie,

I knew you were not feeling like you were where you had expected to be.. I don't remember your level and length of mobility prior to the surgery ?

Before I had my surgery when we were at the coastal house and we used to go to our local indoor heated pool along with absolutely dozens of joint replacement folk, I met this wonderful woman in her late 80's in the pool and we got talking.

She had had 3 spinal operations going back 40 years prior
She had both hips replaced
She had both knees replaced
She had a shoulder replacement

I was totally shocked and in absolute awe

I spent many early morning walking up and down the pool and she showed me her pool exercise routine.

I asked if she had had many issues and she indicated many of the ones we read about on the forum. I then asked her how long does it take to recover from THR. -

'As long as it takes my dear! we all heal at different timeframes, different stresses going on in our lives and sometimes different expectations... Give yourself two years, this is very big surgery, but you will get there!'

I have to remind myself a lot about those wonderful conversations and comforting words. She was so right about our different lifestyles and stresses taking their tole. I too don't think I do enough walking, because of the LONG days at work and then being too tired to go walking.. But then I think, I do walk a fair bit up and down long corridors and between floors.. So I know at the moment at 7+ months I think I am where I should expect..

I agree with Elle, celebrate your ROM..

Be kind to yourself with your anxiety and sadness, this too will pass..

Nerves regenerate, but they take the longest time frame compare to muscle and soft tissue.. I feel for you Cardie, it is horrible dealing with sadness that something in our lives has not turned out the way we had hoped..

You give so much to all of us Cardie, and sound so strong, now it is our turn to cradle you in our friendships ... Much love xx
 
"You give so much to all of us Cardie, and sound so strong, now it is our turn to cradle you in our friendships "

Sandy is so right
 
Hey Cardie, I'm so sorry to hear you are still having issues, you sound so frustrated it makes me feel sad. It's somewhat scary reading about my fellow CDH Bonesmarties, you, Jyoti and Lisa, who have wrote in detail about the problems after surgery. It seems that things don't go smoothly at all after surgery when one has had a CDH, there are always other issues that pop up and cannot be put right. You have no idea how much I admire your tenacity, I mean, you are the epitome of tenacious, never giving up and trying everything to make yourself the best you can be and when that hasn't worked for you it saddens me. I believe you will accomplish everything you want in your new hip one day, if there is an answer then you will find it and I will be here wishing and waiting for that day to come.

You have had lots of positives in your recovery which are an inspiration to me and many others, your thoughtfullness is appreciated so much and if anyone deserves to be fully recovered then you do. I am pleased to hear that your ROM is above average, that is great news and must have pleased you a lot. Here's hoping that the prolonged coughing is the cause of some of your aches and pains as that means that it will settle down given time.

Stay strong courageous Cardie :friends: the better times are acoming

Take care

Ann
Xxx
 
Thank you Elle, Cathy, Z, Sandy and Ann, you help me feel supported and reassured at a time when no one else seems to have much of an understanding of the situation. :console2:

I am thrilled about the range of motion, I was just as proud as a peacock about that part of the visit. Told the PA that I'd been working on the pigeon pose a while back and she was impressed -- and didn't admonish me that it was a bad idea, which I'm sure the PT guy would.

I just wasn't at all prepared for the knee issue or the low back/SI joint troubles -- or the bursitis either. My concern for the nerve piece relates to the SI joint and the pain and inflammation that I have there. My chiropractor doesn't get much of a shift in my SI joint with the table adjustments and lately I've asked that he not do the side lying twist adjustments (I often get a few pops when I twist at the waist by myself anyway). I just don't know if there are some nerves in that location that are being damaged and if that is related to the pain there and the gluteus muscle sensations. When I asked the PA if I should see a back doc she said 'no' and speculated that they'd just want to do procedures on me. Of course, she doesn't know me well enough to know that I just like to get information from my docs and very rarely let them do anything to me :heehee: If I know what's wrong then I can go about my own way of figuring out how to fix and or deal with it. Course, I've never had a back problem, nerve problem or an issue like this that's come about from surgery.

I will see the rolfer in about 2 weeks again, she's the closest I have to a massage person elle11; Not sure if I'll get any massage modalities at the PT facility. The rolfing has been very helpful when it came to adhesions and muscle tightness some months ago. The glutes issue seems a little different, but I'll ask her to work on that area as well.

Z15; I think you may be right -- I don't think I've had any goals, with the exception of my determination to return to the gym in March. I will have to work on coming up with a few short term ones. It's just distracting having physical issues that continually keep my focus on problem areas. One goal I have is to somehow get a job -- even if it's just something volunteer at this point. I have to get out of my hip -- if you know what I mean!!!!

Thanks for all your kind messages,
Cardie
 
Hi Cardie. I do want to strongly echo the idea that at one year, you are still not done healing, and there are very likely more positives yet to come. I also know that as I age, my body insists on reminding me, and I think there are probably things going on that have nothing to do with my hips. Getting the hips taken care of will allow me to focus on whatever else I have to do to stay as mobile as possible for as long as possible. I don't know where you are on the aging continuum (the old forum allowed us to show our age with our avatar if we wished....I miss that feature), but I do know that no one has discovered the Fountain of Youth yet, so it's downhill for all of us!!! Cheery thought, yes? At least we have good company along the way.

Anyway, I was excited to hear about your range of motion success. My left hip is not nearly as bad as my right one was, so my range of motion is quite good still. I was thinking about that earlier today, and hoping that I can get back to this same level eventually. You are proving that I can.

Hope the coming days give you much to be happy about.
Sharon
 
Hi Cardie,
I really appreciate where you are coming from and glad the others have provided you with support. Like Annie has said, those of us with CDH tend to have all sorts of issues which take a lot longer to heal. As you know I have felt exactly like you and expected to be up and about by the year mark and not having the issues I have.

But what you need to remember is that you are doing everything in your powers to try and resolve them. You have the strength and tenacity to get there. When, is always the question but you need to have faith and I'm sure you, me and others will finally get there.

It was great to hear about Lisa in her thread and despite all of her issues she is getting back the hip she wants. So it can and will happen. That's what I'm holding onto as it gives me hope as she is a few months ahead of me. As I'm a few months ahead of me and I have improved so hopefully that will give you the belief that you will also improve. See it as a phase you're going through.

During my Surgery I had 2 senior OS's and an asistant and out of the 3 of them only one was honest saying that he believed I would reap the benefits of my new hip in about 2 to 3 years time. At the time he said it I was in shock but the others have said I would be up and about in 4 to 6 weeks, then a year and now 2 years. The goal posts keep changing.

I understand about wanting to get out of your hip. I'm the same and I have a job :heehee:. It does take over our lives but with all of us together we will all get there.

Keep up with the therapies and be strong! You're the one always putting me at ease so we all need you :SUNsmile:

Take care
Jyoti :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom