THR My 'Everything Will Be Alright' Recovery recap - THR on 30 July 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
@muckingabout
I did not see this other question when I posted my other response. My outside walks have not been with the walker. I need the walker to get down to the sidewalk. I live in the city(not all that different from a typical Buffalo city neighborhood) and the sidewalk is a bit old and uneven, our house is about 15 steps down to the street level. Our process was to use the walker to get to street level. For the 1st walk I used 1 crutch on the opposite of surgical leg. My wife carried the folded walker just in case we needed it. For the 2nd walk, after getting to the sidewalk using the same method, we only took the crutch for resting and I used the cane with the opposite side again. I hope it is cooler today, we have had some heat do deal with here as well. 99 degrees expected today. I am hunkered down with a fan. I think I prefer it to rain though for my recovery. Good luck with your own walking and look forward to hearing about it. As for vanity...or even dignity, well, I left that long ago as soon as I left the hospital wearing TEDs.
Hope you plans to unplug worked out and you have enjoyed your day
 
@grnplatebrd No, and I was kind of surprised because I have staples. I left the bandage on in the shower and my husband changed the bandage afterward.

Oh and I'm a big baby about the heat. I was complaining about 81 degrees
 
@Carriemay60
Hi Carrie, wow, you are certainly in the middle of a greater journey than I. I appreciate the kind words and acknowledgment though. You are pretty amazing for facing all that you describe. Really quite a story. I wish I could offer insight, but most of what you describe is beyond me. I cannot even imagine what that must be like and I offer my sincerest wishes for a speedy healing and recovery. I see you are in Hamilton, but I know very little about how the Canadian healthcare systems works. Actually, sometimes I wonder how well I understand how the US system works too ;)
There are definitely some great, inspiring stories and people here, I enjoy the positive attitudes and genuine help and info that is found in this forum. One of the strengths is the support you may find here and many of us will understand or try to understand what you might be facing. I hope your process is giving you some daily satisfaction/progression even though there are many challenges. I will keep following your story as well and maybe some info or experience will apply. Be well and enjoy there rest of your afternoon
 
@muckingabout
I doubt you or any of us are big babies anymore. You probably have more humidity in your area though, so your 81 might feel like our 90. How are we supposed on not comment about the weather? ;) I think we have to...ha ha
About 3pm our house cannot keep up with the heat anymore, so I will have visualize myself standing in the cold at a Bills game at Rich Stadium in December
 
@grnplatebrd
I am not sure my challenges are bigger, just a little different really. As you said somewhere, bilateral is mind boggling and to me that is BIG!! I have learned we pull the strength we need from somewhere but it is hard to fathom pulling it up mentally or physically for such a huge challenge. No matter our particular surgery or challenges though I do think this forum is a wonderful opportunity of sharing and support. I have felt very uplifted over the last couple of days connecting with others in similar situations and realizing still having hip pain is normal, etc., etc. The smallest comment by a writer could help another resolve what seemed to be insurmountable. We can give each other a laugh with the vision of us all walking laps around our little houses but to us as individuals in our recovery, it could be the Boston Marathon! In Canada, we tend to wait longer for procedures I think. My hip was done as an emergency obviously but I know for people having planned hip/knee replacements you often wait about 2 years for the surgery date which could be 6 months out from there. We cannot Dr. shop but really have to take the referral we are given for the most part. My husband was employed by an American company and we were living overseas when I needed 2 back surgeries ~ all I had to do was make a phone call to the doctor that had been recommended to me and my surgery was as soon as they could fly me back to the USA. April' post the other night about getting checked for a DVT costing her $230+ on the spot blew my mind as that would have been covered in my basic medical. I only pay extra for braces, equipment, etc. Our medial premiums are about 1/2 or less to yours. Enjoy your evening and keep going with your laps!
 
We have been rather cool here, only one day above a hundred in July, and we are having pretty much only a week now in August that will likely be 101+ every day.

My wife's car was reporting 117 on Friday, but that was driving in the sun on a dark pavement.

Seriously, this is a bit cool for us. Back in the 90's when Global Warming was all the rage (you know before they had to rename it to "Climate Change" because the warming stopped happening) we had 100+ days of 100+ temperatures, starting with hot days in early May.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Carriemay60 well said. Yes, I know things are bit different in that regard in Canada. It is interesting with the differences and trade offs, there are always pros and cons to just about everything. Personally, I think I would prefer your system and as you say, your premiums are often less than ours. As stated by another, you have quite a great attitude with all this and I am happy that you are finding so much great input and support here.
 
@grnplatebrd
Yes, the grass is always greener but I do think knowing what your premiums are and that being your only cost no matter how many x-rays you need, what surgery or cancer treatment is better for most.
 
@HerbM
Boy, to me Texans are in their own class when it comes to heat. I know we all get use to where we live, but I think the shelf life of a Portlander in TX is about 15 minutes. Ha ha. Hope you are doing well and glad to hear this summer has not been a scorcher
 
@grnplatebrd
Sounds like you are making progress on your walks. The stairs would be daunting to me, but should really
help build your muscles back.

My recovery is very good, thankfully.
My one complaint at 4 months is that I still feel 'stiff' when I stand up. It goes away after about 10 steps.

I use a Fitbit Flex to track steps and mileage. I have it set to do 10000 steps and 5 miles daily.
Usually that means I have to structure two outdoor walks totalling 3.5 miles or so, and the rest come during
the days activities.
Some days I bike for 10 miles at fitness center, in addition to walks. The Fitbit will track the bike, but I need to add arm movements to make that happen. But, that's cool.
And, some days I do breastroke at the outdoor pool in the 'hood, but this past week its been like 70 degrees outside. Brrr.

What do you look forward to doing?
 
@MajorHeidi
Thanks for your details. It does sound like you are doing really well. I will have to note all your markers and give myself something to aim for.

Well, as far as what I look forward to doing after full recovery. Short term, just getting back out walking and taking photos. 1st big goal will be mellow bike rides and short hikes. Long term is to return to surfing, mixed reviews on whether I will receive clearance from my OS. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I would love it if I could surf again next summer. I have made peace with giving up other activities.

What is your main lifestyle activity that you have been able to return to? or plan to still?
 
Daily update is beginning to feel a little like the movie Groundhog Day. It is Day 13 post surgery.

Today is my 4th straight day of walking around the block with a cane. The process also gives me a chance to keep practicing stairs. I still need to figure out an exact distance of our city block, but figure it is about .25 mile. That is very similar to the distance I was previously walking inside our house. It goes well and I appreciate the change of scenery. I have noticed that it seems to tire out my hamstring. I always ice after. I will research and see what I can find out about that. All and all I am feeling good. I do normal icing 2 times per day or as needed, my exercises. I still take 2 Tylenol in am, with 1 aspirin and 1 oxycontin, then maybe 2 Tylenol during the day if pain flares up. At night I take 2 Tylenol, 1 aspirin and 1 Oxy. Most nights I seem to wake up about 3-4am with more pain, depending on the level of pain I take Oxy or Tylenol. I would estimate my pain level stays at 1-2 for the most part, but really just feels like a dull ache during the day. The middle of the night pain is probably about a 4-5, but still demands my attention to get back to sleep. Most of the day I do a decent amount of walking around the house with the walker or cane, in the early evening I sit in a higher chair that complies with the 90 degree limit for about an hour or so. That seems to stretch things as well...and of course still wear my trusty TEDs. This week's care is down to just my wife after having my father-in-law to help last week as well. She is working 1/2 time in the office, so is around part of the day. Next week it will be just me and our dog
 
[Bonesmart.org] My 'Everything Will Be Alright' Recovery recap - THR on 30 July 2014
Keep up the good work, @grnplatebrd.
 
@grnplatebrd You are doing great! All those stairs is very good for you I am certain...
Walking with the cane is good, too.

My new short term goal is to be able to get down our five flights of stairs (down a hill) to the lake to
our boat dock. Then, step over the side and get in, and go for a boat ride. (with the two dogs).....
We just had a remote lift for the boat installed so it will be easier to get in and out (somewhat).
I got down to the boat dock once so far, and we did cleaning. Now the boat is ready to go.

Just have to work out a suitable time when we have no rain, and I am not at work, and just go for it.
 
@MajorHeidi
Five flights sounds like an all day project ;)
However the lake and boat at the bottom are pretty good motivators. At least your cleaning is done, I expect that was not particularly easy either. Look forward to hearing about boat adventures soon :)
 
An odd and perhaps simple question. My OS wants me to wear my TEDs the rest of August and I wanted to pick up (or my wife I should say) another pair. The medical supply store by our house asked what the compression of my existing socks was. No idea. Has anyone bought new ones or do you know how to tell what compression the socks might be?

(funny, I accidentally posted this Carrie's Thread the 1st time, but I think I deleted it and relocated it properly)
 
@grnplatebrd You can post on my thread anytime :) It seems odd when so many of you have them, but I was not given compression socks despite my DVT history. Those would have been given by the guys that did the actual surgery and I trust them completely but still interesting. I can only assume it has to do with me being on long term (5months) blood thinners I guess. I have worn compression socks before after a surgery and they really make my skin crawl. If you can reach your surgeon's office, I would be tempted to ask there as they may give permission for you to go with a bit less compression / more comfort?
 
I would just take them off and throw them away. They may help with swelling, but so does elevation and icing; and they do nothing to prevent one from having DVT.
 
@Carriemay60 Thanks for the open offer on your thread ;) Thanks too for your input. I will still them out for now even if not necessary. I am following my surgeons directions strictly even if that one seems like overkill. My care coordinator is looking into it and checking my file to see if my exact TED stocking specifics are listed anywhere. I hope you are well today

thanks @bottomshollow for the information. I appreciate setting the record straight on them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom