PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

Thanks, Jockette. When she posts, we can advise her. It sounds as if a patello-femoral won't be the right choice for her, since she already has some arthritis in other parts of her knee.
 
Just want to say my bend is getting better! Just a little, but it is better.

We went to the movies the other day and towards the end of the movie a man from the middle of our row needed to pass us to get out. As I saw him coming towards me I thought, are you kidding, I can’t bend enough for you to get past me, (never occurred to me to stand up) but I did bend enough for him to get by me! :spin:

I was in that seat for almost 3 hours, so I was pretty stiff when I got up to leave. I had a lot of trouble with those first few steps. I was only the second seat in so when I got to the outside aisle I was still struggling and the railing was still out of reach. The man standing in the aisle letting us get in front of him noticed my distress and gently took my arm so I could take that last step or 2 to reach the railing. I was so glad he did. I hope he heard my thank you!

So, at one week short of 10 months post op I still have a ways to go, but it’s happening!:yes!:
 
Can an excessive lack of humidity in my house cause my replacement to feel very uncomfortable?

My husband is cold all the time so we have our heat set rather high, 74 degrees. With this arctic cold weather our heater is running almost constantly. Our indoor thermometer says the indoor humidity is 8%. I’m not counting on that being totally accurate, but it does indicate an extreme low in our house. The humidity outside today was in the 40’s. It’s up to 62% now.

I have a dry eye condition anyway, that I have drops for. But this past week with this extreme cold weather my eyes have been way dryer than usual and very uncomfortable. My knee also.

Since my knee reacts badly to cold temperatures I haven’t been out of the house since Wednesday.

So that’s why I ask if that is what’s wrong with my knee.

Temperatures are going up starting tomorrow, as well as rain coming, so I expect my eyes will improve.
 
I bet you the constant heat has dried everything out. Maybe, being stuck in the house and less active has angered your knee. When I broke my ankle and was non-weight baring for 6 weeks, my knee through a fit. These older new knees want to move. Hopefully, once you can get out again your knee will calm down. As far as humidity, I have no idea.
 
Cold will bother your knee, I suspect. Just today Mr. Shoes, who still has his original knees, was telling me how much the bitter cold made HIS knees ache after he'd been out shoveling. Which reminded me of something we used to say (and maybe still do say) in Wisconsin about "bone-aching cold," i.e. cold so strong it makes your bones ache. It could well be that the metal in a replaced knee, especially if front and center like with your PKR, could chill a little more than natural bone.

I have noticed with my replacements that if I ice a long time now --I'm eight months out and hardly ever ice anymore-- my knees complain and tell me to stop. They get too cold. That never happened when I was in early recovery. My knees ran "hot" from post-surgical inflammation and never cooled down quite as much as they do now. I have found on recent very cold walks ( in 10 degrees and -10 windchill) that my knees by the end of the walk were starting to say "too cold, too cold... we're feeling it."
 
I don't think the dryness would affect the knee but I'm surprised you haven't electrocuted yourself with static electricity if your house is that dry. :heehee: That's how I know my place is getting too dry, when the static electricity gets bad. :)
 
Surprisingly there is very little static.

Hoping to get a humidifier today.
 
Oh, I took my mom to the movies last week and yes... when we got up...oh my. I knew it was going to be stiff but it seemed even more so. Here I was helping am 84 yr old, thinking if she goes down all I’ll be able to do is help her land a little softer. We both had to stand for a few seconds before we could walk. Not sure about the dryer air. I know that I sleep with a humidifier in my bedroom during the winter, otherwise I get headaches and dried blood in my nose.
I’m shocking everything! lol
 
You ought to hear the snaps when I pet my kitties. You can even see sparks in the dark! I complain about the humidity in the summer and now I'm complaining about the dryness in the winter! You just can't please me!
 
I’ve been thinking how we all complain about the high humidity in summer.

It’s not a matter of not being pleased, it’s “everything in moderation”!

Didn’t get my humidifier today. Icy precipitation was in the way and the parking lot at Walmart was very crowded so we didn’t go in. (We were on our way home from bowling, it was not a special trip to Walmart )
 
And those poor kitties getting shocked! I always felt so bad when that happened. They act like I did it on purpose!
 
I am impressed that you are still bowling. Early on, you described some difficulty. How has your bowling progressed?
 
Bowling itself does not hurt my knee. When I first went back to bowling I had to change my approach, I had to just walk up to the line and throw the ball, bending at the waist. I still do it this way. I kind of plant the operated (left) leg forward a little, keeping it mostly straight, and I bend the right leg just a little as I throw the ball.

My ball is very light, only 8 pounds.

My ball speed is quite a bit slower than before surgery, and my average is down, but I’m not very competitive so I’m still having fun. I bowl in a 55+ league.

And I’ve had a lot of gutter balls since the surgery whereas I didn’t before. I figure I have a year to blame it on the anesthesia :rotfl:

I do still have trouble putting my bowling shoes on and tying them. I still have discomfort walking. Not bad, but I’m very aware of the knee. Whatever. I think it’s good exercise in general.
 
Sounds good. Maybe I will try it. I like the light ball idea, but it will be hard to find a light ball that fits my hand. If I go bowling, I’ll let you know.
 
I had to get my own ball for the same reason.

Enjoy!
 
Jockette, you have given me the inspiration to try bowling again. It has been at least 15 years and I'm ready to get back to it!
 
I’m also inspired to begin bowling again. Mr. Shoes and I were just talking about this. We both are lapsed bowlers. Bowling was always a fun date!

Your quilts are beautiful, @Jockette! I often visit Amish country here (Intercourse, PA, mostly) and venture into the shops and roadside quilt stands to admire the gorgeous quilts. They cost a fortune, so I have yet to pull the trigger on one (in part because Mr. Shoes is always with me on such treks and he’s all “it’s just a bedspread” whereas I’m all “it’s a work of art!”). Anyway, you too need an Etsy shop!
 
Thank you, @SusieShoes !

My selling days are over, I’m not interested anymore. I never tried to sell my big quilts, they take way too long to make. I sew them together on my machine but then I quilt it by hand. No one would pay for that much time!

I did used to make and sell kitty quilts and some smaller items. Also wheelchair pad/quilts. They were fun and fast to make. I had a website for several years.
 
There goes my cunning plan to buy a big quilt! :loll:Seriously, though, I understand about your selling days being over. The process of creation is fun; the process of selling the creation is anything but.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom