PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

Oh, I just love those chickadees! You are truly talented! I'm sure sewing these puts you into another world. What a great way to take your mind off of your knee!
 
Thank you, @sistersinhim ! I made those a while ago.

It’s actually getting harder and harder to do any sewing due to the arthritis in my neck and spine.

And thanks to menopause, I get too hot to hold a quilt on my lap to hand quilt it. And I’m too cheap to pay someone to longarm it ! :rotfl:

I have one more quilt I’d really like to make but not sure if I will. I have the fabric, but it just hurts to do it now.
 
Yep, I sure do understand. Hopefully, you'll be able to last one and then another one after that, and even more!
 
Hi Jockette. Just finished reading you’re entire post. Wow what a story but it sounds like you’re getting there now. I too have had a PKR but it failed within a year and I had a revision to a TKR. The saga of my knee is continuing and I’m probably heading for another revision. So glad to see that yours is slowly but surely improving. I’ll continue to follow your thread. Shelli22
 
Last edited:
@shelli22 What specifically went wrong with your partial? I am so discouraged with mine right now. It’s been 10 months. I know it takes a year or more for recovery and I am trying to hang onto that, that things will eventually be fine.

But, the last couple of weeks I’m having a lot of discomfort any time I lean forward. It doesn’t actually hurt leaning, it’s when I straighten up, the knee just feels weird and very uncomfortable. It’s hard to describe. It happens when I’m loading or unloading the dishwasher, just standing at the sink and the slight lean it takes to wash dishes, leaning over to make a bed, etc. When I straighten up it’s uncomfortable to walk. It’s very frustrating.

This sensation is worse than it was early on.

My knee also aches when I am outside in the cold weather. It feels huge and wooden when I have pants on. Obviously I can’t go out in winter temperatures wearing shorts so I have to tolerate pants, but the second I get home I have to change into shorts.

At 10 months post op I don’t have one advantage of having this surgery. I am worse in many ways than I was before surgery with the arthritis I had. I was not bone on bone, so looking back, I think I had the surgery too soon. I just wanted to fix the pain in my knee, which I thought was a lot. I guess it wasn’t. I wish I hadn’t had the surgery.

My surgeon is very nice but I have lost faith in him. He tells me to do things that Bonesmart says not to. At my 7 month check up in October he told me to use aspercreme on my knee. Seriously? I just looked it up. It is for minor arthritis pain. This is not minor arthritis pain. The weather had not gotten cold yet then, so he doesn’t know how the winter is affecting me. I doubt he would have an answer anyway.

My knee is xrayed at every check up and all has looked fine every time. So I guess I just wait it out. Some days are harder than others to have a positive attitude. Today is one of them.
 
I can't believe the Aspercreme. I'm also sorry to hear that weird sensation on straightening your leg is still with you. That's a normal movement and one you use all day long. :sad:

When you wear pants, is it just that you're hyper-aware of the artificial part of your knee? Just wondering. I don't notice particularly when I wear, say, jeans, but more fluttery pants, which brush the skin differently, I guess, do make me more aware of my knees now.
 
I can't believe the Aspercreme

Thank you! :doh:

It’s hard not to think of my knee when I’m wearing pants when it’s yelling at me. It’s not like that when I wear shorts. Cold outside air is worse. I had shorts on the other day and I was in the doorway between the house and the garage talking to my husband who was outside and the cold affected my knee the same way, within seconds of feeling it.
 
On a good note my bend is a bit better. I don’t know the number, nor do I care what it is.

I can feel my quad is stronger. I don’t always need my arms to get up from sitting, but that does depend on what I’m getting up from.

So I guess things are healing. I’m just so afraid with this issue the last few weeks that something is wrong.

I see my surgeon for my one year check up in March, so unless I get major pain I won’t go until then. And if the X-ray is fine, then there’s no answer. Just more time. I pray my knee just needs time to sort itself out. I sure don’t want another surgery.

Maybe I should just put a princess band aid on it. That fixes everything, right? If you’re 3. It’s as good as the aspercreme.

It’s been a long 10 months.
 
Oh how I can emphasize with you... all we can hope for at this stage of the game is that we are turtles, crawling along this marathon and will eventually find the finish line. I too sometimes wonder if I jumped in too soon - but it was effecting my joy in life (still is...but someday!).

I do hope that specific new pain you’re talking about goes away. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had something new and it puts fear in me that something is not right. I was so sure “this just isn’t right” going to my 1 yr follow up - but, as always, everything looks great. So, I have to go with that. Wishing you another day along this path, may it be better than other days.
 
Sweet Jockette, I wish I could say something that would help you. There is one thing though, I think if you aren't any better by your anniversary date, that you seek another opinion. It just doesn't seem right that you should have such discomfort all the time. A few times a day maybe, but you've had it more than that for a long time.

You are always so uplifting to others, even while suffering yourself. Know that you are a blessing to this site and that you have many who are praying for you, including me, and I just did again!
 
@sistersinhim Thank you so much for your prayers. I know the Lord knows all about my knee and this is the journey He has for me. He never promised life would be easy, but He did promise to be with me.

Maybe it’s for me to learn patience, something I’ve never had a lot of. I also don’t like inconvenience. Enter Knee Replacement Recovery!!!

I know recovery takes a year or even more. I hope and pray that’s all it is.

Thank you to everyone on this site for your support and encouragement. :console2:
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
Jockette...i too am so sorry for the pain you're having and i hope you will get an answer and solution at your one year post op appointment. i'm also impressed with all you can do in spite of your pain: bowling, sewing, quilting you did in the past ~ so beautiful and you are so talented. i wish i had 1/10 of your talents. there is a good sign that your bend is improving. enjoy the weekend and keep up the optimism.:flwrysmile:
 
Thank you, @liam2015

Surprisingly, bowling, or at least throwing the ball doesn't bother my knee. On a bad day, walking to the throw line can feel annoying though.

It’s not really pain, just a weird feeling, like a tendon or muscle or something passing in front of the knee and staying there. I hope it’s just some soft tissue that is still upset.

Maybe I should walk my neighborhood this weekend, it’s going to be around 50. I might be able to tolerate shorts at that temperature. I can’t wait for spring!
 
@shelli22 What specifically went wrong with your partial? I am so discouraged with mine right now. It’s been 10 months. I know it takes a year or more for recovery and I am trying to hang onto that, that things will eventually be fine.

But, the last couple of weeks I’m having a lot of discomfort any time I lean forward. It doesn’t actually hurt leaning, it’s when I straighten up, the knee just feels weird and very uncomfortable. It’s hard to describe. It happens when I’m loading or unloading the dishwasher, just standing at the sink and the slight lean it takes to wash dishes, leaning over to make a bed, etc. When I straighten up it’s uncomfortable to walk. It’s very frustrating.

This sensation is worse than it was early on.

My knee also aches when I am outside in the cold weather. It feels huge and wooden when I have pants on. Obviously I can’t go out in winter temperatures wearing shorts so I have to tolerate pants, but the second I get home I have to change into shorts.

At 10 months post op I don’t have one advantage of having this surgery. I am worse in many ways than I was before surgery with the arthritis I had. I was not bone on bone, so looking back, I think I had the surgery too soon. I just wanted to fix the pain in my knee, which I thought was a lot. I guess it wasn’t. I wish I hadn’t had the surgery.

My surgeon is very nice but I have lost faith in him. He tells me to do things that Bonesmart says not to. At my 7 month check up in October he told me to use aspercreme on my knee. Seriously? I just looked it up. It is for minor arthritis pain. This is not minor arthritis pain. The weather had not gotten cold yet then, so he doesn’t know how the winter is affecting me. I doubt he would have an answer anyway.

My knee is xrayed at every check up and all has looked fine every time. So I guess I just wait it out. Some days are harder than others to have a positive attitude. Today is one of them.

@Jockette my partial just never stopped hurting. I never had a day without lots of pain. I had a very bad fall at the shopping centre but I’m not sure if that contributed to the damage or not. On X-ray I had a lateral meniscus tear and more arthritis. Arthroscopy didn’t fix it so after a year the surgeon decided a revision was necessary. I’d suggest you may need a second opinion. I am a nurse/midwife and with the shifts I work I need to be pain free most of the time. I can’t imagine putting up with the next 16 years of my working life. It’s that bad I feel like vomiting. The surgeon asked me if I could live with this knee as it is. I replied. Honestly no. That’s when we started doing all sorts of tests.
 
@shelli22, you don't have to quote a whole message to reply to it. Just go to the bottom of the page and start writing.

@Jockette, I'm right there with you with patience. I've always been lacking in that big time! When I broke my foot and ankle before my new knee was even a year old, I was furious with God. I knew He was using this new injury somehow, but I sure didn't want to go through it. Now, I can see that I can really relate with others more. And you and so many others have helped me through that trial time! You are using your slower snap-back to help others. And you are still able to do things that you love to do!
 
@shelli22 I’m really sorry your partial never stopped hurting.

@sistersinhim How long can it take to heal damage to muscles/tendons/ligaments? My knee/leg was coming along fairly well those first four months until I went to my friend’s house in July for the weekend and struggled so bad with that lower toilet all weekend. The back of my whole leg has not been the same since. What kind of damage might I have done, doing what amounts to up and down squats, getting on and off the toilet. It’s been 6 months, but could I still be recovering from that experience?

My bend is getting better as long as I’m sitting. Last night I layed down to put drops in my eyes and while laying there I tried to bend my knee, as in a heel slide. I could barely bend it at all! And when I got up that awful “something” in front of my knee was more pronounced.

And yet I can get in and out of the car without opening the door very wide, I was able to move my legs out of the way at the movies recently when someone had to get by me in the aisle I was sitting in, etc.

So I don’t know what’s going on. I really think I did more damage that weekend than I thought.

We don’t always like the things God gives us to do, and sometimes we never learn the why, but our experiences do help us to relate to others and help them through what we already went through. Thanks again for praying with me about our situations!
 
How long can it take to heal damage to muscles/tendons/ligaments?
My ankle/foot soft tissues aren't completely healed yet. When I walk on uneven ground, they start hurting, so I'm wearing an ankle brace most of the time I'm out in the woods.

I have something similar with my new knee. I am pretty sure that I have a medial tendon that sometimes gets 'caught' on the implant. It is really painful when it does that and when it snaps back into place. I can feel it when it's getting ready to do it. Sometimes I can change my movement and prevent it from catching. I'm hoping, as my muscles get stronger, that my tendon won't be so wishy washy.

Now, remember that I am not a medical person, but with yours being in the front, sounds like it may be the patella tendon causing the problem, but that is just a guess. Have you mentioned this to you OS? You need to, if not.
 
I did mention it at my 7 month check up but there wasn’t much said about it.

Just the aspercreme “advice”. :rotfl: And we know that topical things barely go down into the skin, let alone into the knee!

My surgeon was actually very understanding about the toilet issue and my struggle that weekend. My appointment was 3 months after that weekend.

Anyway, nice as he is, and I’m sure he did an excellent surgery, I don’t expect any help from him with this ongoing issue. I will tell him about it in March, though. I’m afraid his answer will be to go back to PT, which I will not do. Or he’ll make up some answer. After reading all the different things PT’s and surgeons tell the members who come here, I have lost faith in the lot of them.

I have considered the patella tendon. I will do some research.
 
Oh, Jockette. I haven't been on here much and had hoped that in my absence you had been doing better. I'm so sorry that your pain continues. I'll post something on my thread about myself at the 11 month point in a week - but day to day I am no better than before my surgery so I have an inkling of what you are going through. I hope you can hang on and that at the one year mark you (well, both of us, really) can say that we are doing better. :beg:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom