Guest viewing is limited

PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

My surgeon has never mentioned dental appointments and antibiotics. I learned about it through questions on here.
 
I'd never realized this was such a big controversy. My OS says I have to take antibiotics before dental work for the rest of my life. The dentist didn't blink at that and neither did the periodontist I recently saw for oral lichen planus, an autoimmune disease. I understand that there is serious concern about over-taking antibiotics which can lead to antibiotic resistant bacteria. I just thought what my OS says about it is accepted practice. My OS is known for having extremely low infection rates after TKR. He even removes his patients from the main hospital to his clinic (which is connected by a second floor bridge) when the patients leave the recovery room in order to avoid the higher infection rate in the main hospital. The binder of information he gives new patients states that some say you should take them for a year, but he believes it is safer to take them for each cleaning or procedure forever. I just looked it up and found on a couple of sites that in 2009 The American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons recommended antibiotics for life after TKR. Four years later in 2013, they rescinded that recommendation and said there are only limited situations in which a patient may need antibiotics. Wow.
 
I’m getting dental implants today and will be pre-medicating. But I will also be receiving antibiotics after the procedure, so I figure what the heck. Implants are invasive, though. I did ask my OS about getting them at this point.
 
good luck @SusieShoes getting the dental implants; i'm sure it's not a pleasant experience but worth it in the end. yes, i agree that if a dental procedure is invasive, antibiotics may be called for. i'm way overdue for my check up which is supposed to be every 4 months, but i haven't been for around a year. i think my dentist (who is semi-retiring and i may have a new dentist when i do go) advocates antibiotics after knee replacement, but i don't want them for routine work such as cleaning and x-rays. Susie, i hope it went well for you today.:console2:
 
@phrog That was one of the 5 questions my OS asked for the screening of do I or don't I need antibiotics: Have I ever been told I have an autoimmune disease.
 
Is there a forum similar to this one, that would be trustworthy, like this one, for back pain?

My husband’s back hurts a lot when he’s standing or walking. It hurts to stand up straight. He regularly goes to our chiropractor but it hasn’t helped. She is suggesting PT.

I can’t see what stretches/exercises they will have him do that will help any more than what our chiropractor has shown him.

I realize this forum is for hips and knees, so I won’t discuss his back issues here any further, but just wanted to put the question out there.

Please message me if you have a suggestion. Thanks.
 
I don't know of a site, but I do know my knee-twin at the pool suffered from back pain and had been going to the chiropractor. She ultimately went to PT and they gave her some exercises that completely helped her with her back (she and I are both supporters of chiropractic)
 
I looked online for exercises for my back problems. They really helped.
 
@Jockette , we work on our backs in my arthritis water exercise class. I don't have back problems, but the warm water and stretches sure make my back feel good!
 
Is it spring yet???

My 9 month old knee does NOT like cold weather. Or pants. :tantrum:

What a drama queen!
 
It gets much better, Jockette! I wore sweat pants almost all of last winter. They are much easier on the new knee.

Isn't it funny that ice feels so good, but cold weather hurts?! This year the cold doesn't hurt it all!
 
No, it’s not funny!!!!!!!! :console2:

Looking forward to next year!

And to be honest, I was never crazy about the ice. :groan:It made me feel so stiff. I finally figured out I should let my knee warm up before I tried to get up and walk somewhere. :doh:
 
I got this note in my inbox from cyclekady, can someone please start a thread for her? Thanks!.....

I hope I am posting this correctly because I do not know how to fully use this forum yet.

I am a 59 year old cyclist (former skier) that had a distal realignmentandmicrofrature of the patella in 1999. The 2 screws remain in mytibia and cause no problems. However, I went toHospital ForSpecial surgery 2 months ago and saw my original Surgeon. Hesaid itis time for "metal on plastic" inmonths.

The arthritis in the femoralortibial areais moderate. However, the patella-femoral region has bone on bone. Thereis a group at HSS that specialises inpatella-femoral partial replacements.

I had a cortisone injection done by mylocal ortho guy yesterday and so far nothing but a sore knee.

Thank you for the help. I amfrustratedand scared.

cyclelady, Today at 10:39 AM
 
I put in a request for you. :friends: Can't do it myself. She can soon start asking questions and receive personal support for her frustrations. Knee surgery comes with some unique issues.
 
@Jockette - Is cyclelady a member of BoneSmart? If she's not, she'll have to enroll as a member before she can have a thread, and even then she's have to give a lot more detail before we would start a thread for her.

If she's already a member, all she needs to do is go to the post-op area and select "Post New Thread" at the top, right of the page.
 
I don’t know if she’s a member. She sent me that post in a private message. I figured she’d have to be a member to be able to post anything.

I will respond back to her in her message to me.
 
cyclelady is already a member, so she can start her own thread, in the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area
She already has one thread there - can you just ask her to use "Post new thread" (top, right of the page) and she can do it herself?
 
Ok. I guess she messaged me because I have a Patellofemoral.

Thanks for figuring that out!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom