THR My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Bfam85 !! How are you doing?? And yes, you are so right! It's funny, you all know that it takes a full year to fully recover, but my clients and friends don't seem to get it. they think I should be running marathons by now.. :snork: okay, that is an exaggeration, but not really!
Thanks for your wonderful words of wisdom.. so appreciated.
 
@Hipster Coley Thanks! Go easy with that rolling pin, your surgery wasn't even 4 weeks ago, right?
But definitely try it,, a nice gentle massage for those muscles is very helpful.
I've been working the inner thigh muscles too. that has really helped my gait.

Happy healing!!
 
@DeepBreath a road trip is in your future, too! Well, by summer you will have a better foundation that I did. I still think it was mainly the romping on the floor with the kiddies.. I romped ok, but getting up off that floor got more and more difficult!
Oh and I hope your daughter gets to come visit!! How long has it been since you've seen her in person??

Are you getting any snow today? Ours is very light..
 
@CricketHip, I am hoping that by this summer I will be at a good place to enjoy the driving part of the trip. It will be nice to see family again and to enjoy the sights pain free. :)
Last week marked one year since I've seen my girl. We Skype and email often, but it's just not the same. It would be great to see her again and spend time with her.
I smiled at your mention of romping. Kiddos are so amazing. I know getting up off the floor can be a challenge though. I haven't even tried getting on the floor yet. I think that's a few weeks down the road for me yet. :)
I mentioned to my PT today that I ordered a bamboo roller and she was very pleased. She said it is an excellent tool for working out muscle and tissue issues...that was an odd little tongue twister. :heehee:

No snow here. It is partly cloudy and quite chilly. I saw on The Weather Channel this morning where your area was part of that storm system. Stay warm and be safe, please! :)

Have a great day, friend. :flwrysmile:
 
@DeepBreath We are only getting a small amount of snow. roads are wet and a wee bit slick but not a game stopper.. we actually still have tiny little piles of snow left on the ground from the Jan. 23rd blizzard!

I am so pleased that your PT approved of the bamboo roller.. it's a great tool. You will primarily be using it on yourself but for information's sake- you can't clean the bamboo with soap and water- it will cause the bamboo to get rough and yucky. They recommend Purell wipes and wipe it thoroughly then let it dry. Let me know if you like it when it arrives!! I should make you a video of my 'moves' :rotfl:

Oh! You will enjoy that reunion with your daughter.. I get misty just thinking about it. Darn it! we raise our kids to be self sufficient and independent and then they have the nerve to excel and move away!

Yes, the floor.. sigh.. wasn't too hard when I did it the first few times but then it became a real junk show!
Now, here at home, I use my massage table to exercise on.. so much easier. I have a lightweight table that I used to use for mobile sessions so it's easy to keep in my room and use when needed.

My day is so light today... my work day. February is usually my lightest month of the year. I am trying to appreciate it and get things down at home, like my exercises and paying bills.

Have a great day little buddy!! :egypdance:
 
@DeepBreathDarn it! we raise our kids to be self sufficient and independent and then they have the nerve to excel and move away!
I know, right?! Cheeky little boogers. I miss my girl tons.

I'm glad the snow is light. I'm not surprised that you still have some snow from that late January blizzard. That was really something.

Hey, no lie about the video! I wouldn't ask you to go to those lengths, but any tips you have on the best techniques for using the roller would be much appreciated. My IT band is quite tight today. My PT commented on it and focused a lot of her massage on it today. It's not really painful, but more stiff. I've upped my stair stepper height and reps the past couple of days. I'm wondering if that tweeked it a bit?

I have thought about looking into some sort of sturdy table where I could exercise. I'm not sure how long it will be before I can comfortably and safely get up and down from the floor. I'd hate to get something and then two weeks later not need it, but conversely, I really want to get back to Pilates. Decisions, decisions.... :)

I hope you enjoy your lighter days. Are you finding that full time is feeling okay? From your descriptions it sounds like you get a good workout while working on your clients. I know it must feel great to be putting that caring, healing spirit to work again. You have such a gift and I know your clients must really appreciate you. :)
 
I have a question for @Josephine or @Jaycey
I adopted a stray cat while recuperating. For the most part she is very sweet and friendly but she is also crabby and I don't seem to see the warning signs until she grabs me with her claws.. I have one from a few minutes ago. deep enough to bleed and drip onto the carpet while dashing to the bathroom to clean it up. She really sinks her claws in and now I am worried about the infection risks.. Any input that you might have would be appreciated.

Ungrateful kitty!!
 
I had this problem post LTHR. Lots of alcohol wipes and antibacterial hand wash. Just be sure and wash the area well and watch it.

Regarding this little miss kitty - a flick of your finger on her nose is similar to the way mama cat would scold her. Don't let her get away with biting - it's not acceptable behaviour. A "no" and a flick will get her attention. Then lots of cuddles when she is behaving. Sounds like she is just a bit nervous.
 
Cat scratch fever is always a possibility under any circumstances but I've been bitten deeply and scratched deeply by a number of cats over the years. Mostly my own fault for surprising them! But I am also allergic to cat saliva and have to be doubly careful for that as well. So when I get a kitty wound, I'm off to the kitchen and scrub the wound hard with washing up liquid. So I've never had a problem. Don't ever just wipe a cat scratch/bite - scrub it.

However, as far as your hip is concerned, it's not a problem.

A tip about crabby cats - adopted cats invariably have a short fuse when it comes to humans fussing them. They probably come through the education of hard knocks, were never able to trust a human or tolerate much contact. So keep your contact to a minimum until she's been yours for about a year. My TomTom was a tough ol' thing at first and it did take me over year to win him over and just look at him now!
 
Hi @CricketHip! So glad to hear from Jaycey & Jo that you are safe :) When Josephine says it's not a problem, you can put that one in the bank and forget it...

I am very well. It's been 14 months along for me (I stopped counting after one year!) and everything is doing fine. I am so grateful for this surgery. Still, if I do something too hard, too much or for what I think no reason, I will get some muscle tightness but it resolves on its own without even an advil. My surgeon tells me there is still healing to continue with the soft tissue for another year give or take, so I don't mind.

Thanks for asking, you sweet girl XOX
 
A big thank you to @Jaycey and @Josephine !! Thank you for relieving my mind. I currently have three nice scratches, one of them is more of a puncture wound and I use my hands for my work and was getting very worried about infections.
Ironically she is curled up beside me right now as if we were the best of friends.. hahah I will refrain from approaching her and enjoy the moments when she decides she feels social.
Josephine that pic of your Tom Tom is adorable. I love his paw there like he is being possessive of you.

Thank you both again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@CricketHip, I just wanted to pop in to say how much appreciation I have for the job you do. I knew logically that a massage therapist had to have some strength in order to do their job and I am always amazed at how great my PT gal is with the deep massages she gives me even though she's a tiny thing.
My appreciation is even greater now though since I've started using the muscle roller. I only do two minutes on each side when I work on my incisions, but because of the position of the scars I have to roll them one handed. I am amazed at how quickly my arms and hands tire out from doing that. I've always prided myself on having pretty strong arms, but boy! The rolling itself is a workout! :)
So, you go, girl! Kudos to you for being back at work full time and using all those muscles in order to help others. :)
 
Hi @CricketHip, I just caught up with your thread. Those cat scratches would have worried me, too. I learned somewhere that using a spray bottle with water was also effective with cats. I've never tried it.

Now I want to see some photos of you! I love the one of Josephine with her kitty.
 
@CricketHip - Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying the new use for my kitchen rolling pin! What a great idea. Pre-op I use to use a small foam roller and rubber balls while laying down for relief. But the rolling pin is great! Thanks for that tip.

Glad you're not worried about the kitty scratches now. I've had many formerly stray kitties and some of them do take awhile to tolerate human affection. They can take a little bit, but then "That's enough!" and out come the claws. Sounds like your kitty is already warming up to you and beginning to feel safe. Kudos to you for taking her in and giving her a loving home! :meow:
 
Hello!! @DeepBreath , awe-- let me tell you a little secret.. I was taught to use good body mechanics and use my body's force throughout the massage session. It's much easier again, now that my hip is all shiny and new.

Working with that roller is different because you can't use your body weight to lean with. OH! I forgot about your incision being posteriorly located. I am not sure but maybe if you
I appreciate your saying that, though. Because even with my above disclaimer... it can be tough job with a lot of repetitive motions. So lucky to have full control over my calendar and that I have such a nice line up of clients.
The past two days have been super busy! There was a 60 minute break in the afternoon today and O hopped up on my table and took a quick nap. :heehee:
Oh! I was so confused about which roller you had purchased.. I thought you mentioned that you ordered the bamboo roller.. meaning pure bamboo. hahah glad you have the knobby one, it helps work into the muscles.

@Hip Hip Hooray! Oh my goodness.. my life is boring, you won't see anything exciting from my pictures but I will try to find a couple that you might enjoy!! yes, the cat bite and scratches were worrying me.. I was freaking out that I let a 10 pound kitty take me down after getting through the surgery and recuperation!

@Readysetgo glad to know the roller is helping! It does such a nice job and our thighs are fairly easy to access and responds well to the gentle yet firm pressure. :flwrysmile:
 
@CricketHip, yeah, I thought I had purchased the bamboo roller as well but when it came I noticed it was definitely molded plastic. I really love it though. It gets in there and works those muscles beautifully. :)
The body mechanics make sense. You'd definitely have to find an effective way to get the force you need to do the massages and yet not damage your own body. I imagine it is a delicate balance and a learned skill.
I love the nap thing! Hey, sleep is healing. :)
 
Walking in and looking around :sneaker: How's everybody doing?? I have snagged a few minutes here and there and have tried to keep up with some of my peeps, but then I get distracted and don't get to write.
I am just over the 6 months mark, now, and feeling pretty darn good and am keeping a steady pace with my work load.. I saw my OS a few weeks back and the bone has grown in well around my implant. He walked in and asked me how I was doing and I said "really good!" He then asked "how good?" My answer was that I was good enough that I was fighting the urge to hug him, lol, and he said that they like hugs and held him arms out. It was a nice moment. He reviewed my original X-rays with me and remarked again that I was full of spurs, arthritis and nastiness.. (my word not his).
So.. moving forward...
The one thing that still gets me is hiking up and down hills and over rough/uneven ground, not initially, it takes a longer hike to get my soreness to kick in.. so will continue to go easy and progress slowly.
So, has anyone else noticed a more zen like approach to all things post op? I am guessing that having time on my hands helped to teach me to be more present and to appreciate the good days. Whatever it is, I am enjoying it!

@DeepBreath - I caught up on your thread- you sound like you are doing so well. and with trimmed toenails, no less!! I also caught up on @Cynthia777 's thread and see there was some measuring going on.. so of course I had to go measure my scar. I am just under 4 inches-- about 3.75" and my surgery was without the Hana table.
Cindy, I hope you are feeling better and you aren't as sick this evening.. will go to your page and see the updates..

It's so nice to return and catch up on things.. :loveshwr:
 
@CricketHip, so glad you are feeling great! And I get what you mean about the hiking. The other night at Zumba it occurred to me that that was the first time doing Zumba without even the tiniest bit of hip pain and it was great!

That's great about being almost back to a normal workload. I have to say, after my 1st THR my hip got so tight it felt like a rubber band wound up real tight and about to pop. I went and had a massage and talked with the therapist and explained my history and my current pain in my right hip area and lower right back. She was amazing. After 2 massages she had worked all that tightness out and I felt great.

Then for the first time in my life I decided to start working out so that that didn't happen again. That's when I started Zumba and fell immediately in love with it! The 45lbs I gained during the 2 years I was basically immobile melted away in 7 mos. My left hip also degenerated away too so I decided I wasn't hobbling around for 2 years in constant pain & scheduled my surgery. I've got 4 kids, ages 23mos to 9years, and didn't want to miss out on being a mom again! It was really hard to know I had to stop working out. I love it so much, and I never thought those words would leave my mouth.

I did struggle a bit getting going again bc I'd let my eating habits slide but about 2 weeks ago I got a handle on it and ramped my Zumba up. My surgery was Oct 30th and I started back in late Jan part time but back to full speed beginning of March! And haven't stopped since and I feel as happy as ever!

I love reading everyone after the surgery and when they get back to living life pain free. Makes you appreciate things more. I had no idea how much the chronic pain had changed my disposition and just changed me fundamentally. Once there was no pain it was like Wow, I had no idea how much it affected me.

Best of luck to you and keep on improving
 
Hi @CricketHip :wave: I was just thinking about you yesterday wondering what's going on with my favorite Cricket. I giggled at you measuring your scar as well. That seems to be a trend. :) Wow, you have a small scar. Your surgeon must have been very deft. Wonderful! I love that he encouraged a hug. You really do feel that way post surgery, don't you? I've said to my OS a couple of times, "I don't know how to adequately say 'thank you' for giving me my life back".
I am so glad you're feeling Zen. That seems very Cricket like. :) I have a more mature perspective on things now, but wouldn't call myself 'Zen'. Then again, I am in the thick of the menopause journey so I think that has something to do with it. :wink:
It's so good to 'see' you, friend. It sounds like you are doing wonderfully. Big *Hugs*!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom