THR My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @CricketHip, You sound just wonderful. I loved hearing about your surgeon and the hug, too. I know...I feel the same way. It's just miraculous what this surgery has done.

I think I'm feeling more zen like post op, too. I don't try to do as much in one day. I appreciate the little things, and I enjoy the fact that I have a home, pets, garden, and good health. I'm not such a high achiever anymore.

That's great to hear that the bone has grown around the implant. You can feel it. What a positive update!
 
Great update @CricketHip! I never even got an alert that you had tagged me :-(
I can't believe your incision is so small having had the posterior approach (or was it lateral...heck I'm getting up there in age)! I wonder if we ever reach the point where we are able to do all the activities we did before our THR's? If not, it's okay, I feel blessed enough to be able to walk without pain in my op hip. Hugs my friend! :-)
 
Ah @CricketHip - I SO loved your post and your "Doctor Hug" - it really demonstrates the relief that this surgery can give. Am encouraged by your report and extremely happy for you :)
 
@Miss Muffet TODAY is your day! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. you are on your way to relief! Its a miraculous journey. I hope you will be hugging your Dr at 6 months, also.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to pop in and say :hi: @CricketHip and give you a huge :thankyou: for the roller suggestion. I just got mine and :wowspring:, does it do the trick!!!!! The pain and tightness in my thigh and just above my knee was getting pretty uncomfortable. I finally broke down and ordered one, just to see if it would give me some relief. Sure enough...within a few minutes of good pressure rolling, I already see improvement. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I hope you are doing well these days!!!!!! Xoxo
 
@Nana757 !! What a nice surprise and nice compliment! Isn't it just the best solution?? So glad to hear that it helps you, too. We will conquer the hippies one roller at a time! :loveshwr::loveshwr: I am doing great! It's weird once in a while the muscle soreness returns but only once in a while and never for long. I'm at 7 months now.. life is good! We really do need a meet up sometime soon..
 
Hello @Hip Hip Hooray! How are you?? Yes, I feel pretty darn good. I've noticed that my operated leg and glutes are still weaker than my other side so am re visiting my exercise routine. The work schedule is back to an all time high, never expected to be able to work this kind of pace again.
In fact, I am sitting in my studio chilling for a few minutes before packing up to return home. Happy Friday!!
I love the soaps.. will be emailing you about them soon. :flwrysmile:
 
That's fantastic, @CricketHip. You have such an upbeat personality. I'm not surprised that your business is at an all time high. I know what you mean about the glutes. I think I lost those before the surgery. The squeezes help me.

I'm so glad you like the soaps. I've been thinking about you. The second batch will be dry soon. Take care!
 
**News Flash!** I decided that it was time to pull out my sandals for the season. I love my Berkies but couldn't wear them last summer because they "worked" my bad hip in ways that was very uncomfortable.
but now! I am here to say that I can wear them and walk quite happily.. Its the little things in life.. aahhhhhh..:happydance:
 
Hello to my fellow hipsters!! I am almost at my 1 year anniversary for the LTHR and am pleased to report that I couldn't be happier with the results.
No pain, no restrictions, only smooth/gliding steps.. it's more than I ever hoped to dream of!
The other hip creaks and is beginning to "catch" in that familiar way that makes me feel like it's going to give out and cause me to fall; but it's not bad enough to warrant a replacement because it comes and goes; but plan on scheduling an appt with my OS to review new X-rays and see where I am at in the deterioration process. there is no way I will let it get as bad as the first one.
But the new hip?? the scar is small and already fading to a thin white line. It dips in a bit so I am using some cupping techniques to see if I can rearrange some of the scarring and fascia underneath and get a fuller appearance to it. I already think it's plumping up a bit from the treatments.
I had a little accident last month and pretty much cut the tip off of my middle finger. It was stitched back and then we waited to see if it would "take"-- they had me on antibiotics for 10 days and I was more concerned about bacteria going to my hip than the poor finger! But all is well, it's healing well and I am going to avoid serrated knives in the future.. maybe all food prep will be off limits.. truly! I don't enjoy cooking these days anyway.

Interestingly my mom in law fell and fractured her hip and needed surgical repair--she is 92 and of course she then developed sepsis and was in the hospital for quite some time. No infection in her hip... in fact they were never able to determine to cause of the infection. She had a fantastic male nurse in ICU who noticed my bandaged finger and asked about it and cautioned me to keep it wrapped with waterproof bandages to prevent any hospital super bugs getting to it :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes: If that wasn't enough, my husband had to have some unexpected surgery so had him in another hospital, first all day in the ER and then the following week they did the out patient surgery. aaaaargh! I was basically living in the hospitals, so was very worried about germs entering my system via the wounded finger..

But my new hip is a real champ.
Somedays I think back to where I was this time last year, in pain and unable to walk and so frightened about the entire process.. and now I'm walking 3 miles nightly, working a full schedule in my MT practice and enjoying all activities.

I wish the same for all of my friends here!! Just stay away form sharp knives.. :heehee:
 
Hi Crickethip, I just hit my one year milestone 8-24-16, had my checkup and he said that my bone is growing around the prosthesis nicely and that there are no gaps. He said he was very proud of himself...LOL I ride a stationary bike 3 to 6 miles, I try every day but hit every other. I can tell if I haven't done so however, because the IT band begins to hurt some so I have to keep it moving. As far as the scar, I don't really care what it looks like since I have no one but myself that looks at it and it's so far on the side I only see it in the mirror, still numb but will probably be that way. Doctor said how I am in 6 more months is where I will always be.

So sorry to hear about all the other mishaps in your family, it's just me and my brother, he lives in Florida so rarely see him, I am in Michigan. I have been feeling tinges in the right side lately myself. Feels like it did 10 years ago when they kept x-raying my knees and back...... and all the time it was my hip, but now I know. Hope all continues well for you, lets hope we don't have to go through all this again anytime soon.:scare:
 
:flwrysmile:What a wonderful update on your new hip. I am thrilled that you are totally back in the swing of things, but very sorry to hear about your DH and MIL. I hope by now, they are recovering nicely and your finger is healing. All that time spent in the hospital would have had me worrying, as well.
The article Josephine posted is very informative. I, for one, am now a strong advocate against PT following THR. I truly believe that is what caused my bursitis and IT Band issues. Therapists have a tendency to be so aggressive in trying to strengthen core muscles and the hip, itself, that they cause more problems, than solving.
I'll have to find someone who does the cupping technique, as I, too, have a "dip" in my hip.
Keep up the great work and Happy Anniversary!!!!
:wowspring:
 
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and your Hip! You've had some ups and downs to cope with, family and injurywise, but hearing you say your hip is a "champ" is going to cheer a lot of those who are waiting for surgery and feeling a little unsure.
 
Great to hear from you! Stay safe my friend!
I have scheduled my left hip replacement for the end of November. The pain has started....so scheduled. I have a few trips planned this Fall, so I am working it around my schedule. The pain is not bad...it comes and goes. When it is present, I am so thankful for my right replacement last year. I figure the hip is not getting better. I am back walking...usually around 3 - 5 miles a day. I do have to stop and stretch every so often, but definitely want to be in shape for surgery.
I am a strong believer in PT. I will definitely be returning to three sessions a week.
Keep in touch!
 
:flwrysmile:Hello CricketHip! Weird, but I was thinking about you this morning just about the time you were writing your post. I had a massage yesterday and then you just popped into my head this morning. Glad to hear you're feeling good and you dodged all the super-bug bullets. Be careful with those sharp instruments! I also have a bit of a "dip" (anterior approach too) and some numbness still on the outside of my thigh. But the scar itself looks good and there is NO pain in my hip. Also glad to hear you say you won't wait as long on hip #2. There is no need to wait until the pain ruins/runs your life. Stay in touch and best wishes!
 
Great hearing your update, @CricketHip. My God...you have been through it! I had no idea all of that was going on...I hope things have calmed down now. When my hips were bad I took several falls and kept dropping things. It really seemed to affect my balance and made me feel clumsy. I wonder if your second hip has anything to do with it? I'm glad the first one is doing so well. You sound very strong. How wonderful that you are able to walk regularly, and that your massage biz is going so well.

I didn't do any formal PT, either. I did find my home exercise routine to be very helpful. It's a delicate balance. I like to stay in shape, but don't want to wear these out too quickly. Keep us posted on that other hip and how you are doing. I hope everyone in your family is healing.
 
Oh, @CricketHip, it is so good to read your One Year update! I am SO happy for you that your hip is feeling good and that you are doing so great. :)
I'm sorry to hear about your husband and MIL and also that you have had anxiety surrounding spending time in hospitals. I sure don't blame you. The cut would be concerning to me as well. I'm sure you were very vigilant about it though and that all will be well. Sending tons of good thoughts to all of you. Stay away from knives and hospitals! :wink:

Big Hugs, Friend. Keep on keepin' on. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom