THR My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CricketHip, we're good. Hubby is still faithful with his PT but was released from weekly appointments two weeks ago. His OS is still clucking over his good and diligent recovery. I should share those kudos.

So, for travel this year:

Louisiana Downs Easter weekend.

Nashville TN first weekend in May to see Garrison Keillor - A Prarie Home Companion live broadcast.

Glacier National Park/Whitefish MT for two weeks including the 4th of July. Planning some river rafting and hikes.

September beach trip with my beloved sisters.

October cruise from Quebec City to NYC with extra days for shows, etc.

And maybe, sandwiched in there somewhere, a neck/chin lift. Haha


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello back at ya, @Nana757 !! How are you doing these days??
@beachgal I so want to go on the trip you are taking for the neck lift!! :heehee: eyes, too!

Your travel plans sound super, the October cruise especially.
 
Hi @CricketHip! I'm doing great these days. It'll be my 6th month anniversary tomorrow and can't believe what a transformation my body and soul has made. I walk around on cloud nine these days. We are going on a golf vacation the end of February and will be visiting some dear friends along the way (Florida) and going to a family member's wedding in Hilton Head. Cannot wait! Happy days are here again! Glad to hear you are doing so well too!
BTW...I'm in for the neck and eyes too!
 
@Nana757 that is a wonderful report! I am in your stage from a couple months ago and having issues with a grumpy IT Band. But it's nothing that slows me down and it will pass and now that I know you are doing so well at 6 months? Im going to have a stern talk with Mr. ITB and tell it that it's time is almost up and needs to go away!
 
I hear ya! Even though, at times, it was quite painful and forced me almost to drag my leg, it was short lived, each time. And, I have, again, started taking my Motrin when it feels like it's rearing its ugly head. Within 12-24 hours,I'm good as new. I did notice, though, it bothered me more when I was going to PT on a regular basis.....go figure. Since stopping PT, I rarely am bothered with it. Hopefully, it won't be much longer for you.
 
Update: Well, here I am at about 4.5 months post op and things have steadily improved even more so this month.. I am so pleased. Back to full time work- and since that involves giving therapeutic massage for several hours a day- that's a huge accomplishment!
As we all are finding out, adding any extra to our work load or just trying to exercise more seems to give us a few days of achiness and we feel like we've been set back a bit. :bored::bored::bored:
My main issue, as I stated in my last post was the muscle fatigue and soreness, especially the lateral side of my thigh. ( Iliotibial Band or IT Band) So much so that when I sat down and rested for a bit and tried to get up and walk, the thigh muscles would grab and I would be limping for the few several steps and that was frustrating to say the least. So I gave it some thought and decided to work on those muscles myself. When I get a massage it just felt painful or annoying... I figured doing it myself would possibly be more beneficial and it has been.

I have a nice, smooth bamboo roller.. I offer bamboo massage as one of my treatments and my goodness, it is simply awesome. After a shower I put my foot up on something like the seat of a chair and slather on some massage cream or oil and work the bamboo stick up and down the length of my quads and IT Band and even actually over and around the incision. as I was feeling a good bit of restriction and after a couple days of doing this it felt so much better. Now I only need to bamboo myself like 1 or 2 times weekly. @nana757mI run that bamboo clear down to the side of my knee where it's been so sore from the surgery and it really helps.. I know you and I have both had that issue. Sometimes you can work the tissues fairly deeply and it is a good hurt, mostly I work the area with moderate pressure and that gives great results. You can work the adductors, too, this way and work clear down to the knee..

I use my legs a lot in my work,, it's where my working force comes from and my goodness, that bamboo stick has eased up the chronic soreness and has given me a new level in the healing process.

I'm guessing if anyone want to try it? You could probably use a rolling pin if it's wood or the plastic ones might work, too.. but the wood is so smooth when you add some lubricant. And while we are talking about a kitchen utensil, I will add that coconut oil or olive oil are great lubricants for this type massage.. hahah.. truly!

You can actually buy something similar at the running and fitness stores but I bet you could save the $$ and use a rolling pin. I will post a picture of the ones for sale on Amazon just so anyone interested can get the general idea of what I am saying. I just love the results, though and it's a kinder, gentler way to help our bodies heal from what was a very traumatic event.

I now walk at least 10,00 steps a day. (fitbit measures for me) Every two weeks or so things still seem to improve and grow stronger.. It's very noticeable and still so very exciting.
Happy Healing !!!!!!

here's a link to give you guys a visual of what I am doing and so you can see that a rolling pin would probably work just as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Rated-Muscle-Roller-Stick-18-3/dp/B00FP1SXLM/?tag=ate362da-20
 
Hi @CricketHip and thank you so much for the suggestion of the roller. I will definitely give it a try. There are times with me, that it gets so irritated that I almost have to drag my leg along. But, once I start walking with longer strides it eases up. Motrin and stretching seem to help too. But I will definitely add the roller to my collection of tools. Who knows....it might even help my DH's back.
I am so pleased that you are doing so well and your energy and strength are returning. Indeed, happy days are in your future! Have a wonderful day, my friend!
:roseshwr:
 
Hi @Nana757 !! Thanks, I was afraid my post was too long, but goodness, it helps and is so easy to do.
I thought of you last week when I was working it down along the side of my knee. You know, if you look up Iliotibial Band you will see that it inserts thank on the books, was worried I would lose some of them during my time off but
Can you tell that I love anatomy? Such a nerd! So, if your vacation soon?? Will you golf daily?? That might be a good time for that rolling pin! :heehee: I find the more I move and keep moving, the less stiff I get. Do you find that also?
My work schedule is getting down to such a nice rhythm.. am feel so bless to have all of my clients. So many things to worry about when we are facing that surgery..

hey, my son just told me his handicap is 7.7? Is that decent in golf?
 
Hi @CricketHip, I just caught up with your thread. You sound really upbeat. I'm glad to hear that your massage business is booming. That's great news. I'm impressed. Going back to work is one of the biggest challenges most of us face. It's wonderful that you are self employed and can set your own schedule. It also helps me to hear that you also get muscle soreness at times. It's a tricky balance.

You sound very enthusiastic about your roller. I'll have to check out the link. Keep up the great work!
 
Oh @CricketHip, your posts are never too long, but are always informative. We will leave on the 23rd and take 2 days to get to our destination in Florida. Don't care to drive straight through for 14 hours. We will probably not golf everyday for a couple of reasons....DH's back couldn't handle it and I'm sure weather will play a big factor. But, regardless, just getting down to some warmer weather for a couple of weeks is our main goal. To me, warm weather has always been so therapeutic. Who knows...we might even check out some real estate while we're down there. :wink:
 
@Nana757 ohhhh! sounds so exciting! and yes, the long car rides are brutal,, whatever made me think that driving to Colorado at 3 months post op was a good idea????? But was so worth it. Family is what it's all about..
:flwrysmile:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Thank you,, yes, I have been lucky and my little practice just runs very smoothly, well, it did until the hip pain took me down. :bored:
But am back to it,, I just work a little wiser now. Shame on us if we don't learn something from this, right?
I am worried that I overdid it with my raving about my roller. But it really got me around a corner a couple weeks ago. We are in for some more snow next week, that is the one thing I dread. My worst fear is falling on ice. I can tell that my "grip" on wet or snow covered walks isn't as stable just yet.
 
@CricketHip I had my LTHR just after some of the worst snow in the history of our area. It was someone here who suggested Yaktrax. Put that in any search engine and you will see what I bought. Worked great.

There are also other options that let you keep them on indoors as well. But that brand was the most recommended if you are walking on very icy areas.
 
Thank you @Jaycey will google them right now!!
 
@CricketHip, isn't that the truth that an increase in activity kind of starts the achy domino effect? It is very unique to this process, I'm thinking. We need to step up our routines, but it sure takes patience to do it in the correct way.
THANK YOU for the info on the roller. That is invaluable!
Yaay for the return to full time work and doing great! Keep up the good work, friend. :)
I was definitely in awe of you making that long trip to CO. I've done that jaunt from the east coast many, many times and it is not an easy haul even without having had surgery. I know time with your family was worth it though.
We're making the trip to Nevada to visit family and pick up our car trailer from my cousin this coming summer. If all goes well, our daughter will be flying in from Germany to join us! :happydance: Color me excited. :)
I share your fear of falling on the ice. Jaycey's Yaktrax suggestion is a great one. Nobody wants to be going booty over teakettles with our shiny new hips. :wink:

I hope you're enjoying your weekend, friend. :)
 
@CricketHip just started following your thread. So informative. I am finding I'm very stiff in thigh and glut. I like your idea of the rolling pin. I'm going to give it a go. I find I am so stiff when I first get up to walk but from reading all these threads that seems to be the norm
 
Hey @CricketHip! Just checking in on you :)...you are still only 4.5 months....that is still so very, very early in your healing....Just remember this is a marathon and not a sprint and we all have setbacks at times....or 99.9% of us anyway...Have a wonderful week!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom