THR My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi friends!! I am fine. so I go in to see the dr and first off told him that I am much better and don't really need an MRI to figure out that I sprained my hip and he agreed. He said if it was a tear or worse, I wouldn't have bounced back so quickly. It's not 100% but I think another week or so will have it there again. I told him that I started some of the gentle exercises that were given to me early on and that I would rather not do PT at this time. He agreed and said if I get stuck in the rehab then let him know and we will go a different approach.
then.... we discussed the other (rt) hip. The X-ray looks good. arthritis but no loss of cartilage, but he thinks my limited range of motion indicates that I may have a labral tear. so will now have an MRI on that one!
Again, I was reminded by him that my sockets are very shallow with over half of my joint that should be covered by my socket is uncovered and that one of the side effects of shallow sockets is the possibility of a labral tear.

So, again, we were back to discussing physical therapy.. haha I said again that I would do it at home but he said in this case, some moves that are good for a hip replacement might not be good for a tear and pretty much indicated that if this is the case then I will be seeing my buddy, Joe, the PT guy.

Interesting,, so many variations on hip pain. But I am so happy that I feel better after the slip/straddle/split antics of last Saturday morning! I am walking with no limp and I still feel the need to be careful and deliberate with my steps to avoid that loosey goosey feeling, but it's much better! He said that the pop that I felt and heard could have been the ball reverberating against the new socket,, our real hip has cartilage to help cushion but man made parts tend to thunk and pop and jolt when something extreme happens.
I am looking for non slip bath mats to put down in the bathroom,, or new flooring. :chinstroke:
 
Hi @CricketHip, That's good news. Very interesting to hear the details. I have shallow hip sockets, too. I'm so glad that you are improving, and that it's not something worse. Thanks for letting us know. Take care...
 
Hi @CricketHip this is good news. I'm so glad it wasn't more serious. The non slip mats are a great idea. When I had new flooring installed a few years ago, I was very cognizent of the COF rating (Coefficient of Friction) when I selected my tile. It rates how slippery a particular tile is. The flooring people looked at me like I was nuts but that's how I roll, haha
 
@Hipster Girl I LOVE the COF rating comment! You better believe that I will from now on also. eesch!
I continue to improve and while not 100% , I most certainly feel more confident stepping out on that left leg and it's feeling more secure again.

And..... today is officially my 1 year anniversary of my left hip replacement!! woo hoo! My husband and I were marveling at it this morning.. how the year passed so quickly and how I am up and moving again. so so so grateful!
Couldn't have done it as well without this website.. that is for certain.

@DeepBreath - isn't your anniversary approaching soon, too? :loveshwr:
 
Thank you @Medfordart!! How are you doing? Counting the days until November?
 
I am doing great.....thanks. I have mostly pain free days. I am getting anxious, but have so many things planned before my date that I try and think about all of those.
Keep us all informed on that right hip.
 
Hippy Anniversary, @CricketHip! :loveshwr:
I am SO glad to hear that you are recovering nicely. Awesome!
Yes, Sunday will be one year for my left hip.
My goodness, it's amazing what a difference a year can make!
Big Hugs, Friend! :)
 
:wowspring:Hard to believe it's been a year already! The recovery time seemed to go by so slowly but yet the year went by so fast, go figure. But when I think back to where we were a year ago, I marvel that this surgery has indeed given us our lives back and couldn't be more thankful! :loveshwr:Happy Anniversary @CricketHip!
 
Hi @Hipster Girl and thanks!
So, I did go through with the MRA-- for the Right hip.. and looks like I will definitely be headed back to the surgery table someday. I haven't talked to my Dr yet, but the lab report is a dismal read. Isn't it funny how the X-rays don't pick up the damaged cartilage? I have a large tears in the labrum, anterior and superior.. with fraying on the posterior and cartilage wear also.
looks like I will eventually take myself back over to the pre op side.

bummer... well, at least I had a super recovery with the left hip and have no qualms with using my surgeon again.. and have kept all of my healing props, now to find the right time to move on it. It isn't as painful as the first one.. and I don't intend to wait that long but don't want to rush in too soon, either.
 
I had a suspicion from your falls that this was the case. I'm glad that you got some answers. I'm sorry that you have to have the other hip done, but it is a such a relief once both are replaced. You were smart to save all of your aids. So glad that you got that MRI. It's great that you have a surgeon that you like and trust. I'm sorry the news was not what you hoped, but sometimes it's a relief to hear the truth. No wonder you've been slipping...
 
That's tough news, @CricketHip. At least you know what is going on. I wonder what the percentage is of people who have to have both hips done? It seems that so many people here end up with both hips being replaced. Best wishes for that surgery, whenever you choose to have it done!
 
Hi @CricketHip sorry to hear that news but the good thing is that next time you will know the drill, know what to expect, understand the precautions, the timeframe, all of it, so I think you will be in a really good place for the next one. And there are many of us on here that have had both done so you are in good company. You really will feel so much better when both are done.:yes:

I don't know if it's too soon but I always think doing it around the holidays is the perfect timeframe. :)
 
Thank you @Hip Hip Hooray! I don't think I am that bad just yet to blame my fall on it. :heehee: But you are correct that my sense of balance is off a bit, especially now with the left hip sprained.. I will be happy to see my Dr on Wednesday and get his advice. @Hipster Girl :yikes: This December!!!??? hahah no stinking way.. I don't feel that bad yet. Call me naive but if I could hold off until next December, then we have a game plan. Plus it takes a while to get in with my Surgeon.
But I am not sure the hip has another year left in it.
@Krista thank you ! and yes, I wonder too about the percentage of single THR vs. double? I knew it was in my future because of my shallow sockets. but then my mother only needed 1... so far! @Nana757 is quite happy with her single hip replacement, too. So, go figure.
 
Hi there @CricketHip and sorry to hear that you're looking at another THR. When I was getting all my X-rays and MRI for mine, the OS assured me that my other hip looked great and I needn't worry about it, except for the occasional bout of bursitis, which was great to hear. But, honestly, I'm thinking how can he be so sure...who knows what the future holds for aging bodies and joints, right? But, I'm living each day like there's no tomorrow!
:yes!:
 
absolutely @Nana757!! There's no stopping us and ironically my OS said he thought I would get 5 years on this one. It's okay, I know what to do and all that, but worry that it will get bad overnight like the left one did.
Can't tell if it's my mind playing tricks or the dye is bothering me still, but its been so achey all week! I was thinking of you today, the left replaced hip that suffered the sprain 2 weeks ago is healing but my IT Band is twinge-ing more and more.. I can see what that is so annoying for you to deal with at times!
@Jaycey I know you have mentioned that you opted to go in as soon as your second hip showed "the signs" can you please expand on what the signs were and were there good days still, at that point?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom