THR My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see you are doing well. I am also! Just finished a 3 1/2 mile walk....loving this weather!
I saw the PA at 2 weeks, the OS at 6 weeks and will not have another appointment (unless the left hip starts acting up) until my one year anniversary.
 
Hey @CricketHip
I am thrilled to hear you are doing so well! Happy 12-week anniversary! I hope the PT helps your neck. And, the energy level will increase with time. I spent the weekend rearranging furniture in the living room and spare bedroom, finally putting up the tree and decorations....and didn't once take a nap! So it does get better. But, I do take an occasional nap...mostly out of boredom.
About your question on follow up visits. I had one at 4 weeks and 3 months. And when I saw him again last week for my bursitis issue, he said..."I'll see you on your 1-year anniversary". Still going to PT for the bursitis but that is getting much better, too! My hip is strong and healthy and I hardly think about it anymore.
I hope you have a wonderful day and continue with your great progress, my friend!
 
@CricketHip, what a wonderful update! Happy Belated 12 week anniversary. :)
I'm sending tons of good vibes your way that your recovery continues to be amazing and that your neck issues become a distant memory soon. :flwrysmile:
 
Hello at 13 weeks!! Just a quick update. We spent about 10 hours in the car yesterday. It didn't bother my hip/leg at all.
I am also so pleased to report that my neck feels better and stronger than it has in months!
Which reminds me that i need to do my exercises before going to sleep tonight.

We took my mom out for dinner tonight, the restaurant had a tile floor and had water standing in the foyer. ( rainy night here in Ohio) I stepped in it and immediately went into the fast footed scramble to avoid falling. I twinged the hip a bit and am hoping it is recovered by morning. It's not painful to walk but is a bit achey.

Have resumed wearing my fitbit and average between 8,000 and 12,000 steps a day. I hope I never forget how painful walking was just a few short time ago and always appreciate this entire surgical process that lets up get up and move!

Happy holidays everyone!
 
Yaay about being in the car so long without any pain as well as your neck feeling so great! Sending hugs and feel better vibes for the twinged hip. It's bound to happen, unfortunately, especially in the cold, rainy weather. I hope that doesn't bother you for long, friend.
It sounds like you are doing wonderfully and I'm just tickled pink to read about that. Take good care of yourself and keep up the great work! :flwrysmile:
 
So glad that you didn't fall down, @CricketHip. I hope it's no longer aching. That's great news that the drive went so well. I've noticed the same thing. It's nice to be able to travel again. Wonderful news about your neck, too. I think we appreciate all of this more when we've experienced the pain of needing a hip replaced.
 
Hi @CricketHip, that's such good news about your neck and so glad you didn't fall in the restaurant - yikes! You're doing great on the Fitbit - that's a lot of steps! I hope, like you, to never forget how painful walking used to be. Keeping that perspective will keep us appreciative of these wonderful outcomes. I hope I never get complacent to the point where I take my new hips for granted.

Safe journeys for you and enjoy the holidays with your family!
:reindeerlights:
 
Merry Christmas @CricketHip so happy to read of your travel and improvement with you neck. Wishing you a great family visit and many pain free trips.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Colorado!
So happy to celebrate with family and to be able to tolerate such a long road trip.
Wishing all of you the best wherever you are in your hip replacement journey.
:reindeer: Looks like reindeer's hips are working well!
 
Merry Christmas, Cricket! I hope you're enjoying Colorado. That little reindeer is really going to town with those leg lifts! :)
 
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :tree: I wish you continued improvement and happiness:happydance:.
:reindeer: I really love this reindeer because we can do what he's doing now! Could you imagine trying that move prior to surgery? I have not been checking in regularly, but I will never forget your encouragement and humor when I needed it. I am so very glad that you are doing well! Peggy
 
Hi @CricketHip! :wowspring:I'm impressed! A trip from Philly to Colorado, in the car, with no problems! You go girl. Hope you have a wonderful time with your family. Happy New Year!!!!
 
Popping in here to wish you all a very happy @2016! @CricketHip, @Nana777, @Medfordart, and the rest,, you are all such an inspiration to me and everyone who reads your fun posts! Here's to you!!

Jennifer


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi....I'm posting a question here,me cause I'm still new to this forum stuff, and not sure how or where to post a new question. I searched for answers but came up with nothing.
Those recovery post THR anterior app......?
What kind of car could you get in to go home from Hospital ?
What kind of help did you require in the first few days and nights????? In n out of bed? bAthroom? Dressing etc?
Who had a lift recliner? Was it a big help for night and during the day?

Thanks, my husband has t work full days after my surgery and am wondering if I should call for some nit caregive or my daughter to help the first week?
Thanks in advance to all those who have a moment to reply
 
@geneva, :welome:
No problem about the thread confusion. The forum takes a bit of time to get used to.
My suggestion would be for you to go over to the Pre Op section prior to your surgery and post your questions there. It will get a lot more views that way.
To start your own thread, go to the section you wish to start it in. In either the top right or bottom right of the page is a black tab that says Post New Thread. Click on that and it will take you to a page where you can start your own thread. Just name your thread and then type out your post. When you're done click on Post Reply, which is the first tab below the post and voila, there you go!

As far as your questions go:
1) I have a posterior approach, so I'm afraid I can't help you with anterior approach questions. There will be plenty of folks can give you info on anteriors though.

2) I rode home from the hospital in my husband's SUV. I figured that would be easier than my sedan since my car sits much lower. I know anteriors are much different regarding the post op restrictions though, so make sure to talk with the Occupational Therapist who will meet with you to help you figure out how to navigate daily living issues. I invested in an aerobic stair step to make it easier for me to get into the vehicle. I am quite short though, so you may not need that. For the ride home I had a pillow and a garbage bad ready. The pillow for the comfort aspect, of course, and the garbage bag to make turning around to the forward facing position easier.

3) Usually, people have what is known as 'log leg' for a few days post surgery. It's a sensation of not being able to move your op leg by yourself. This is very normal and goes away within a few days. I had my husband help me get my legs in and out of bed. You will likely be discharged with a walker, which you will use to get to the bathroom. It's a really good idea to get a raised toilet seat. It helps tremendously in being able to lower yourself down onto the commode.
The Occupational Therapist will work with you to demonstrate how to dress yourself with the help of a reacher, long handled shoe horn, sock aid, etc.
It might be a good idea to have someone there the first few days to help you with things. The first week at home can be especially challenging as you adapt to the temporary limitations.

4) I didn't have a lift recliner, but I know some folks do have them post surgery and really like them. Some people find sleeping in them is easier than lying flat in bed. Again, you'll get more tips if you create a thread so more folks can see it and respond.

I'll be sending out good thoughts for you as your day approaches! You've found a fantastic place for information and support. If you need any more help, please let me know. To 'tag' me just type the @ symbol and my screen name: DeepBreath....like so: @DeepBreath. I'll be happy to help in any way I can. :)
 
Thanks for your informative post........it all really helps both with my orientation to posting, a new thing for me an also more pre op info that I was searching for..!
 
@geneva! I am so sorry, how did I miss your post and questions??
I came home in a SUV type of car.. I think the hardest problem would have been a low slung car or a large monster truck! I never found maneuvering in and out of the car to be an issue,, the PT at the hospital showed us smart ways to navigate vehicles and other obstacles. They ask you about your home situation and then help you figure out how to handle your particular situation.
I had some help for the first week, I had a nurses aide come in 3 days that first week. Mainly because I was in an upstairs bedroom and didn't want to worry about multiple trips downstairs to the kitchen. But the aide was a big help to get me in and out of bed until the log leg settled down. I scheduled her for like 4 hours each visit, she also vacuumed and walked our dog,, ran an errand or two.
I loved my lift chair! Only needed it for the first 3 weeks but was wonderful to sit in and also the help to get up was much appreciated. I slept in my bed at night but took wonderful naps in that chair. I could have managed without it, and probably would have done just as well, but am glad I had that little luxury. The home health store delivered it and set it up and it was simple to schedule.
As you are now finding out, the Anterior method has less limitations, but I think even then you need to listen to what your Dr says is right for you. I think their approaches can be different plus our personal anatomy tends to dictate a bit, also.

Oh, my, I just re read my post and my answers are very similar to Deep Breaths.. hahaha ah well, consistency is a good thing. :heehee:
 
@beachgal thank you for the very sweet holiday wishes.. and I hope yours were wonderful, too! How's your husband doing? I am approaching my 4 months mark and am so pleased with my progress.
The 3 day car ride (one way)was a little hard on me but I took things slow and now am back to dancing in the streets! ok, ok, maybe not dancing but sure am walking up a storm.
I am almost back to work at full speed, but am completely content to go at a little slower pace occasionally and enjoy life without that painful hip nagging at me.
Can't wait to hear where you decide to travel to this year!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom